This Is What Brought Me Here!!!

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough
This Is What Brought Me Here!!!

This is the reason iv ended up being forced into researching and buying flashlights. My 1 year old lakeland cross, i do a lot of night time walking with her and the nature of her breed is to shoot off the minute i let her off….a good 200 yards away, i then have to track her down as she is stubborn!!! Upto now iv got it a bit wrong. Started with an led lenser p7…… the dog out ran that! Then i got an m3x triton….. too big for my pocket…..AMAZING THING THOUGH!!! Big Smile
I have now ordered a keygos ke-5…. just because it was cheap…. think im going to get a tk35 aswell just for the hell of it as i know its a good light. i like the idea of this site though for getting the best light for least amount of money. as you can see iv stuck to well reviewed lights as im a novice :~ Anyway….. here is the cause of all my grief.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8867
Location: Eastern PA

She’s cute!!

adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

JohnnyMac wrote:
She’s cute!!

Yes she is Big Smile , but don’t over look the fact….
SHE IS SMALL
SHE IS FAST
SHE IS VERY STUBBORN
AND SHE IS BLACK!!!! :bigsmile:
turboBB
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 09/10/2011 - 00:32
Posts: 803
Location: NJ, US

Aww she's cute, what's her name?  Also, a belated welcome to BLF!

adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

turboBB wrote:

Aww she’s cute, what’s her name?  Also, a belated welcome to BLF!


Thanks Smile her name is poppy…. quiet highly trained, its in their nature to become stubborn though as in not recalling ten out of ten times…. thats when the light comes out and i track her down!!!
Woody
Woody's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/20/2012 - 17:08
Posts: 1644
Location: London

Very similar (in looks and temprement) to a Patterdale terrier I once had.

You should use a fluorescent collar, or these little flashing clip ons. hey, if we can have toys, why not the dogs?

adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

Woody wrote:
Very similar (in looks and temprement) to a Patterdale terrier I once had.

You should use a fluorescent collar, or these little flashing clip ons. hey, if we can have toys, why not the dogs?


yeah iv got a fluorescent harness, had the flashy collars but she loses them!!! got sick of getting them haha the harness and a decent light is the key Smile
kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

Welcome to BLF!!
They have these multi-colored LED dog collars, my neighbor has one and you can very easily see his dog 2-300+ yards away.

As far as lights go, you’re going to need something with some serious throw, that also opens up a little to cover some down range area. XRE pencil beam throw, or aspheric probably won’t work as it will leave you in the dark anywhere outside its tight spot.

STL-V2, Fandy-V6, HD2010 are all good options in the 45-50K lux range, that will also open up down range. Theres also the Stanley fat-max spotlight which will out-throw any of these by a slight amount. It holds a tighter beam a little farther out though so it will not allow you to cover quite as wide of an area, but even then its still floody enough to broad-sweep a very wide area.

adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

kramer5150 wrote:
Welcome to BLF!!
They have these multi-colored LED dog collars, my neighbor has one and you can very easily see his dog 2-300+ yards away.

As far as lights go, you’re going to need something with some serious throw, that also opens up a little to cover some down range area. XRE pencil beam throw, or aspheric probably won’t work as it will leave you in the dark anywhere outside its tight spot.

STL-V2, Fandy-V6, HD2010 are all good options in the 45-50K lux range, that will also open up down range. Theres also the Stanley fat-max spotlight which will out-throw any of these by a slight amount. It holds a tighter beam a little farther out though so it will not allow you to cover quite as wide of an area, but even then its still floody enough to broad-sweep a very wide area.


Thanks, yeah iv tried most of them, they get broke/lost iv found. iv currently got an m3x triton, led lenser p7 and a keygos ke-5 on the way, was also gonna get a fenix tk35 or romison tr51 this week….. ill be seeing how they go then maybe get some more lol!! ideally it should be pocketable ( cargo pockets) and have 2-300 yard throw with some decent spill. bloody dogs costing me a fortune!!! oh well, at least it allows me to do some gadget buying Big Smile
turboBB
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 09/10/2011 - 00:32
Posts: 803
Location: NJ, US

Not exactly budget but way cool:

http://www.glowdoggie.com/home.html

You (and others especially motorists) should be able to easily spot her with one of these on.

adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

turboBB wrote:

Not exactly budget but way cool:

http://www.glowdoggie.com/home.html

You (and others especially motorists) should be able to easily spot her with one of these on.


yeah iv had something similar to that, but to be honest she would probably snagg it on something and lose it!!!! she can even slip the harness if she gets it in her head she doesnt want it on!!! the best solution is a good light to track her down i think.
ps…. seen a lot of your reviews…. a lot of effort goes into them i see Smile
turboBB
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 09/10/2011 - 00:32
Posts: 803
Location: NJ, US

Thx!  Speaking of which, I have two more in pipeline that may be of interest for you and Poppy. Should be up by next week.

Cheers,
Tim

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

adyscarborough wrote:
kramer5150 wrote:
Welcome to BLF!!
They have these multi-colored LED dog collars, my neighbor has one and you can very easily see his dog 2-300+ yards away.

As far as lights go, you’re going to need something with some serious throw, that also opens up a little to cover some down range area. XRE pencil beam throw, or aspheric probably won’t work as it will leave you in the dark anywhere outside its tight spot.

STL-V2, Fandy-V6, HD2010 are all good options in the 45-50K lux range, that will also open up down range. Theres also the Stanley fat-max spotlight which will out-throw any of these by a slight amount. It holds a tighter beam a little farther out though so it will not allow you to cover quite as wide of an area, but even then its still floody enough to broad-sweep a very wide area.


Thanks, yeah iv tried most of them, they get broke/lost iv found. iv currently got an m3x triton, led lenser p7 and a keygos ke-5 on the way, was also gonna get a fenix tk35 or romison tr51 this week….. ill be seeing how they go then maybe get some more lol!! ideally it should be pocketable ( cargo pockets) and have 2-300 yard throw with some decent spill. bloody dogs costing me a fortune!!! oh well, at least it allows me to do some gadget buying Big Smile

Wow looks like you’re hooked!! with a truckload of stuff incoming.

Yeah reliability and durability of the cheaper brands/models is going to be hit & miss, depending on any number of random factors. Generally I think the 8.4V designs that buck down to Vf are less reliable than the 4.2V multi-7135 based designs. The former are just more complex circuits, with more parts and solder contacts that can fail. The 7135 is just a buck-type current driver, that internally converts un-needed Voltage to heat. With multiple parallel chips it has built in component redundancy, if one fails it won’t leave you in the dark. And with 8-9 7135 chips, the odds of all of them failing on their own is one in a million.

You’ll probably need to step up a $$ notch if you want increased multi-cell reliability. You’ll probably need to spend 2-3 times as much for the throw+ reliability you are after. They just don’t make a $50-$75 big-reflector thrower. Brands like Xtar, sunwayman, Fenix, Olight….etc… come to mind immediately. Crelant has some options too. They may not be able to out-throw the 50K lux budget beasts by much though until you get into the $100+ range.

adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

turboBB wrote:

Thx!  Speaking of which, I have two more in pipeline that may be of interest for you and Poppy. Should be up by next week.

Cheers,
Tim


yeah iv seen most of them…. i didnt know there was lights out there capable of such things…. i was truly amazed at the m3x lol
adyscarborough
adyscarborough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2012 - 12:56
Posts: 343
Location: UK Scarborough

kramer5150 wrote:
adyscarborough wrote:
kramer5150 wrote:
Welcome to BLF!!
They have these multi-colored LED dog collars, my neighbor has one and you can very easily see his dog 2-300+ yards away.

As far as lights go, you’re going to need something with some serious throw, that also opens up a little to cover some down range area. XRE pencil beam throw, or aspheric probably won’t work as it will leave you in the dark anywhere outside its tight spot.

STL-V2, Fandy-V6, HD2010 are all good options in the 45-50K lux range, that will also open up down range. Theres also the Stanley fat-max spotlight which will out-throw any of these by a slight amount. It holds a tighter beam a little farther out though so it will not allow you to cover quite as wide of an area, but even then its still floody enough to broad-sweep a very wide area.


Thanks, yeah iv tried most of them, they get broke/lost iv found. iv currently got an m3x triton, led lenser p7 and a keygos ke-5 on the way, was also gonna get a fenix tk35 or romison tr51 this week….. ill be seeing how they go then maybe get some more lol!! ideally it should be pocketable ( cargo pockets) and have 2-300 yard throw with some decent spill. bloody dogs costing me a fortune!!! oh well, at least it allows me to do some gadget buying Big Smile

Wow looks like you’re hooked!! with a truckload of stuff incoming.

Yeah reliability and durability of the cheaper brands/models is going to be hit & miss, depending on any number of random factors. You’ll probably need to step up a $$ notch if you want increased reliability. You’ll probably need to spend 2-3 times as much for the throw+ reliability you are after. They just don’t make a $50-$75 big-reflector thrower. Brands like Xtar, sunwayman, Fenix, Olight….etc… come to mind immediately. Crelant has some options too. They may not be able to out-throw the 50K lux budget beasts by much though until you get into the $100+ range.


yeah iv figured out the cheap ones are a bit hit and miss after reading a lot of stuff on this site. the m3x is amazing, im interested to see what the tk35 can do, iv a feeling that may be the light i will use the most.
Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7792
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

i have a beagal basset mix and a the vet said oh no ... 2 strikes ..??HUh?? stubborn and hard headed ..i was letting her  go from the door to the car  without a leash and occasioniolly she would scare up a rabbit and they both would run off ..same thing .. black dog ..she 's gonna get dead .. she'd sheepishly return and she knew she was bad .. better than the runnaway dog she used to be ...last time I was pissed and I popped her right in the mouth ...smacko .. get in the car  !!  next day    wham right at my side like a 68,000$ super show dog ...with a salute .. "yes sir what is your command ".. i never hit her in 3 years but boy did it work .. stubborn is just their way of nicely saying ....fuck you .

they are pack creatures and showing them you're not putting up with their shit  works wonders ...

maybe my dogs are smartr than most dogs .. they say they don't know what thye did wrong .....horseshit  my dogs know exactly what they did wrong ...they are smart enough to avoid the kitchen when they drag out all the trash ..

i'm telling you a hound is like no other dog on the planet ..smart but .....hardest dog to train ..period

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Jay611j
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 2 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 04:54
Posts: 35
Location: San Diego, CA

Cute pup you got. I have the same issue with one of mine and I put a reflective collar on her and no matter how far she gets from me, pretty much any light will reflect off the collar and it works great.

There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. Just hope it’s not a train.

joe1512
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/03/2011 - 15:31
Posts: 331
Location: Dallas,TX
adyscarborough wrote:
JohnnyMac wrote:
She’s cute!!
AND SHE IS BLACK!!!! :bigsmile:

What?!? You dog-racist!!! Wink

VIET PRIDE BULLIES
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 2 months ago
Joined: 05/06/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 95
Location: Vietnam, south east Asia

One of the reason for me to search for the first light as well but not the main one.
Here are my dogs, few are not updated ….as my other hobby are raising American Bully.

VietPrideBullies.com

Foy
Foy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 01/02/2011 - 17:56
Posts: 3009
Location: Las Vegas

I'll also chime in suggesting the HD2010, although the big head may not be considered pocket-friendly by some.  My collection does not include very many dedicated throwers but even so, the HD2010 pretty much out reaches everything I have.  And, unlike probably my best thrower (MPP1) the amount of light at the end of the beam is substantial.

Poppy will be breathing quite hard when she out-runs this bad boy.

 

likespoppyFoy

No referral links and nothing embedded . . . ever.

                      &nbsp