Interested in the next BLF/Manafont custom light?

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
hitchhiker
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 days ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 13:35
Posts: 13
Location: germany

I would like a small 18650 flashlight with a ramping xm-l

price: l2i is available at 7.99, ultrafire xm-l at 16.40, lets say $25-30

modes: press - on, hold - ramp (0->100), double-click - high or strobe

memory at first mode (2-mode-memory would be fine)

preferably side-switch, but tailcap is no dealbreaker

color: anything but black or silver

srfreddy
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 411
Location: New England

MULE!  or a very floody TIR XML. 30-40 bucks, perhaps? Neutral XML's are availble on cutter this month. Something with a mega low, like <.5 lumens, then 4, then 30, then like 160 lumens on NIMH, a good direct drive on 14500? 

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7720
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/ultrafire-mcuc88-3mode-cree-q5-led-aluminum-flashlight_sku1753.html

3 AA XML neutral tint  3 modes    5lumen  // 55//  500

The light exists the emitters exist  the driverexists .. where's the light ???  

at 23 $ with emitter and driver for 1 piece  

.. this light comes in at 28$ for 50 pieces modified  with  the whole enchilada   just the way you want it

3 double A's .. everybody wants one of them.. a poor mans fenix..a blfx

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 7095
Location: The Light

Boaz wrote:

http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/ultrafire-mcuc88-3mode-cree-q5-led-aluminum-flashlight_sku1753.html

3 AA XML neutral tint  3 modes    5lumen  // 55//  500

The light exists the emitters exist  the driverexists .. where's the light ???  

at 23 $ with emitter and driver for 1 piece  

.. this light comes in at 28$ for 50 pieces modified  with  the whole enchilada   just the way you want it

3 double A's .. everybody wants one of them.. a poor mans fenix..a blfx

Nice, why didn't they put an XM-L in that thing to start with?

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

SashiX
SashiX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/07/2010 - 15:46
Posts: 2045
Location: Spain

Man, that flashlight is big Shocked

Piers
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2011 - 20:31
Posts: 896
Location: Bolton, UK

That really would be nice with an XM-L in it, I'd definatly take one Smile

Hmm I wonder how a 26650 would fit in there.

 

*edit* 

Of course it wouldn't, I probably ment a 26500 Silly

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

Nice find, Boaz...that torch looks like it has a lot of potential.  Anyone ever order from that site?

Tas62
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/26/2010 - 17:57
Posts: 494
Location: Tasmania, AUS

MCU C88

The more I like it

jb1
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2011 - 13:21
Posts: 527
Location: Texas

With a Q5, it oughta be a decent thrower, right?

tbenedict
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 14:20
Posts: 380
Location: TN

I am curious what kind of beam an AA sized light would have with an XML.  I know it would be more floody, but would it still have enough throw to be "dual purpose" with a relatively small reflector.  I've read in the P60 modules the XML's floodiness is balanced by the extra output, but I'm not sure if what the result would be on AA's.

I'm a fan of neutral tints, but it sounds like the tint's haven't been too nasty with the XML's.

srfreddy
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 411
Location: New England

I WANT a small reflector. Deep is fine, i have no need for super wide flood. But a nice, wide hotspot, with very low throw.... Kiss

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

To my eyes, the tint on the xml's seem to run more toward neutral than on previous generations.  As far as an xml in a single AA format, from what I've tested, the extra lumens aren't noticed, but the beam is definately floodier.  Less artifacts and ringing, but also less throw.  As far as being dual purpose, it would depend on your expectations of a 1xAA format.  Compared to my SC51...similar but slighty less (this may have more to do with the driver I was using) , but compared to my RC-G2 the throw isn't even remotely close.

Piers
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2011 - 20:31
Posts: 896
Location: Bolton, UK

jb1 wrote:

With a Q5, it oughta be a decent thrower, right?

 

I think with an XM-L it would effectivly have more throw, just due to the much larger out put.

jb1
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2011 - 13:21
Posts: 527
Location: Texas

Pook wrote:

jb1 wrote:

With a Q5, it oughta be a decent thrower, right?

 

I think with an XM-L it would effectivly have more throw, just due to the much larger out put.

I guess there's not a XM-L drop-in made for this light so how can you change it out?

Piers
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2011 - 20:31
Posts: 896
Location: Bolton, UK

tbenedict wrote:

I am curious what kind of beam an AA sized light would have with an XML. I've read in the P60 modules the XML's floodiness is balanced by the extra output, but I'm not sure if what the result would be on AA's.

 

I think this has a reflector rather larger than a P60. Tthe dimension are given on the site as "Size(mm): 148(L)×48(D)x 38(D)" Which I think is  Length x head diameter x body diameter, but could easily be some random numbers.

It is quite a chunky little light due to the 3 x AA setup. So It should throw more than a P60 assuming the reflector isn't shallow.

 

jb1 wrote:

I guess there's not a XM-L drop-in made for this light so how can you change it out?

 

Boaz in post #93 is suggesting we have them make it for us.

 ***

I realised I'd managed to triple post and it just looked a little like I'd gone crazy, so i edited them together Silly

I really am very intrested in that MCU-C88, I've not got a 3xAA lights and it would be awesome with the right modes and an XM-L.

jb1
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2011 - 13:21
Posts: 527
Location: Texas

Boaz, please feel free to suggest

UltraFire MCU-C88 3mode CREE 3*XM-L LED aluminum flashlight

Just saying.......Cool

fishinfool
fishinfool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 00:30
Posts: 4342
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

Who's gonna be the guinea pig on that fatboy light? Cash

 

Don wrote:

"But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion

jb1
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2011 - 13:21
Posts: 527
Location: Texas

fishinfool wrote:

Who's gonna be the guinea pig on that fatboy light? Cash

 

I'll give you a hint - the guinea pig has another thread going about how to use PayPal on their website. I bought them but technically haven't paid for them yet. Do they contact me and give me the shipping price? I don't know what to do at this point. If I can't pay for it, I may not be the pig after all.   LOL

fishinfool
fishinfool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 00:30
Posts: 4342
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

jb1 wrote:

fishinfool wrote:

Who's gonna be the guinea pig on that fatboy light? Cash

I'll give you a hint - the guinea pig has another thread going about how to use PayPal on their website. I bought them but technically haven't paid for them yet. Do they contact me and give me the shipping price? I don't know what to do at this point. If I can't pay for it, I may not be the pig after all.   LOL

LOL  I saw that post of yours after I posted this one.  I'm pretty sure someone will contact you eventually about collecting your money. Money mouth

 

Don wrote:

"But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion

Oldienea
Oldienea's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/30/2010 - 23:18
Posts: 613
Location: France

You place an order, they will send you an invoice with the price for the light plus shipping cost, along with the e-mail, where you have to send the money to.

There is a formula somewhere in the FAQ, how you can roughly calculate their shipping rate by the weight of the item you ordered. I bought a light that was 22,50 $ in the catalog and payed 11,00 $ for the shipping. They are not the cheapest around, but they ship fast.

jb1
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2011 - 13:21
Posts: 527
Location: Texas

Fishinfool & Oldienea, thanks for the reply. I read the thread about calculating the shipping cost and my head hurt afterwards. LOL I know their shipping rates aren't cheap, but I find their prices to be pretty darn good.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7720
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

[quote=jb1]

Fishinfool & Oldienea, thanks for the reply. I read the thread about calculating the shipping cost and my head hurt afterwards. LOL I know their shipping rates aren't cheap, but I find their prices to be pretty darn good.

 I think they are real wholesale ., buy one or two items and they'll do it but wonder why .. they  probably want to sell a couple hundred lights not just 2 .

Ask them about 5 then 20  them 50 ? what's the price on 50 ?   who here  isn't curious  where and when does shipping  get cheap or  free for that matter ?  what does it hurt to ask ?

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

jb1
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2011 - 13:21
Posts: 527
Location: Texas

The shipping ended up costing $15.82 for 2 flashlights. I guess I couldn't buy diesel for $15.82 to get to China so I won't complain.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7720
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Mr. Administrator ,

  I Just wanted to answer the question directly .yes i'm ready . you lead we'll follow .Your past picks ,although they have taken criticism have some very well thought out ,and interesting features .The budget light farkar looks well thought out also .Like Ruth said to Naomi ."Whither thou goest ...i will go "Ruth 1:16-17.We are behind you 100% ,We trust and appreciate you.

thank -you 

Boaz

 

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

Kiss-ass....

 

 

 

Wink Nah, I'm with Boaz...  Pick one and run with it.  Asking over 500 flashaholics to agree on one torch is akin to trying to nail Jell-O to the wall.  Besides, I'd like to see more really-low low modes in lights, and I know you're fond of that as well.  Besides, if it's assembled, it can be taken apart...so I'm a happy modder.

srfreddy
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 22:07
Posts: 411
Location: New England

And please, low low= less than one lumen.

okwchin
okwchin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/07/2011 - 04:41
Posts: 1164
Location: Australia

with High output oVER 9000!!!

 

sorry...

yes, whatever light you pick, its likely Ill still want one. Im happy with a Farka, also provides for potential conversation starters (as mentioned in another forum somewhere) "thats a bright farka you got there!"

 

I just managed to source a meter of 25mm alum bar stock, So ill be trying to make my aspheric XP-G headlamp in the mean time!

"like everyone else - I’m looking for my next “last” flashlight" -  ohnonothimagain

xP.1337
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/02/2010 - 13:31
Posts: 537
Location: PA, USA

Match wrote:

Kiss-ass....

 

 

 

Wink Nah, I'm with Boaz...  Pick one and run with it.  Asking over 500 flashaholics to agree on one torch is akin to trying to nail Jell-O to the wall.  Besides, I'd like to see more really-low low modes in lights, and I know you're fond of that as well.  Besides, if it's assembled, it can be taken apart...so I'm a happy modder.

 

hehe ive succeeded in nailing jello to the wall. believe it or not, it can be done

 

jekostas
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 1 week ago
Joined: 11/30/2010 - 03:09
Posts: 576
Location: Surrey

Alright, I want a pocket sized flashligh with the following features:

Interchangeable bodies that accept 1xAAA, 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x16340, 2x16340, 1x17670, 1x18650, 2x18650 or 3x18650.  

Interchangeable heads, one with 5 XM-L T6 emitters, 1 XP-E R5 with a flood-to-throw aspheric (glass only), 1 with an XP-G S2, and one with 1 XM-L T6.  All neutral white, of course.

Also, driver module that screws in to the middle, is completely programmable via a standard USB port, can accept the voltage ranges of all the battery combinations above, and has a ramping mode of .5lumens - 2000 lumens (battery and emitter dependant max), and hidden variable strobe modes.

IPX-8 waterproof, HA-III coating, with a drop rating of 10 metres on to concrete.  Choice of reverse or forward clicky, as well as a tape switch option.

Also, a variety of colours would be nice.

Under $20, please.

 

 

Alright, did I get everyone?

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

jekostas wrote:

Alright, I want a pocket sized flashligh with the following features:

Interchangeable bodies that accept 1xAAA, 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x16340, 2x16340, 1x17670, 1x18650, 2x18650 or 3x18650.  

Interchangeable heads, one with 5 XM-L T6 emitters, 1 XP-E R5 with a flood-to-throw aspheric (glass only), 1 with an XP-G S2, and one with 1 XM-L T6.  All neutral white, of course.

Also, driver module that screws in to the middle, is completely programmable via a standard USB port, can accept the voltage ranges of all the battery combinations above, and has a ramping mode of .5lumens - 2000 lumens (battery and emitter dependant max), and hidden variable strobe modes.

IPX-8 waterproof, HA-III coating, with a drop rating of 10 metres on to concrete.  Choice of reverse or forward clicky, as well as a tape switch option.

Also, a variety of colours would be nice.

Under $20, please.

 

 

Alright, did I get everyone?

 

Nah, you missed out those who want 25500, 25650, and 32600. And the guy who wants to use alkaline F cells.

 

And the guy in the corner who wants to use AAAA cells with the 5xXM-L head.

Silly

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

Pages