What you got today

10435 posts / 0 new
Last post
CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 418
Location: USA

After 20 days of waiting, my Sofirn SF47 (4 x SST40) has arrived. I will try and get a mini-review out sometime this week.

Some notes:

  • It advertises 9000 lumens on turbo but I suspect that number is inflated. Unfortunately I can’t test this; can anyone weigh in on the theoretical output of two 21700 batteries in series married to 4 SST40 emitters? This uses a constant current driver.

  • This light has some decent heat-sinking and a very comfortably sized handle to hold onto. It seems like a good design for leaving a light on high output and not having to feel or stress about the heat.
  • I’m kinda curious what this light would be like with 4 SFT40 emitters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

Got this beautiful thang today Love

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

Oh yeah , also this ridiculously long 6 D cell Maglight . Hard to believe this isn’t the longest they made Smile It makes me giggle lookin at it Facepalm

Gyronamics
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/02/2021 - 21:00
Posts: 25

CollectEverything wrote:
After 20 days of waiting, my Sofirn SF47 (4 x SST40) has arrived. I will try and get a mini-review out sometime this week.

Some notes:

  • It advertises 9000 lumens on turbo but I suspect that number is inflated. Unfortunately I can’t test this; can anyone weigh in on the theoretical output of two 21700 batteries in series married to 4 SST40 emitters? This uses a constant current driver.

Says they tested with 2× 5000mAh 21700 so that’s 37Wh

Also says Turbo is 1.5h runtime so on average it would be using 25W.

Nothing is doing 9000 lumens for 25W so they are not mentioning that Turbo means X seconds or minutes at XXXX lumens then the power is cut down a LOT but they keep counting the runtime on low power as “Turbo”.

4x SST40 can do 9000 lumens if the batteries can do over 12A in series for 90-100W which would suck the batteries dry in 20 minutes while burning your hand so instead it will do that for a short period then as the torch gets hot (won’t take long) it will cut the power down.

So for a short time, yes, it should do 9000 lumens.

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 418
Location: USA

Gyronamics wrote:
CollectEverything wrote:
After 20 days of waiting, my Sofirn SF47 (4 x SST40) has arrived. I will try and get a mini-review out sometime this week.

Some notes:

  • It advertises 9000 lumens on turbo but I suspect that number is inflated. Unfortunately I can’t test this; can anyone weigh in on the theoretical output of two 21700 batteries in series married to 4 SST40 emitters? This uses a constant current driver.

Says they tested with 2× 5000mAh 21700 so that’s 37Wh

Also says Turbo is 1.5h runtime so on average it would be using 25W.

Nothing is doing 9000 lumens for 25W so they are not mentioning that Turbo means X seconds or minutes at XXXX lumens then the power is cut down a LOT but they keep counting the runtime on low power as “Turbo”.

4x SST40 can do 9000 lumens if the batteries can do over 12A in series for 90-100W which would suck the batteries dry in 20 minutes while burning your hand so instead it will do that for a short period then as the torch gets hot (won’t take long) it will cut the power down.

So for a short time, yes, it should do 9000 lumens.

Well step-down is no surprise; I’m familiar with the BS that is ANSI standards. I was just curious whether this could even hit that max output figure. Sounds like it should theoretically be able to. Thanks for the answer! Beer

EDIT: Oh, hold up. The batteries are rewrapped Lishens (LR2170SD) so they are rated at 9.6 amps. I guess the light may under-perform with these cells. It may be two 21700s and a spring bypass away from greatenes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

I was making fun of this today . But after having carried it it the woods and along the bike trail , I find it an oddly ,satisfyingly , legal club which is very comforting out in the dark places . It’s also a pretty decent light . I retract my ridicule. Smile

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 418
Location: USA

Rdubya18 wrote:

I was making fun of this today . But after having carried it it the woods and along the bike trail , I find it an oddly ,satisfyingly , legal club which is very comforting out in the dark places . It’s also a pretty decent light . I retract my ridicule. Smile

Is that sucker incandescent?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 1405
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Dick all today or tomorrow or the next day! LOL

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

No it’s a new one with led. I bought it as a joke , but I kinda like it Wink

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 418
Location: USA

Rdubya18 wrote:
No it’s a new one with led. I bought it as a joke , but I kinda like it Wink

Is it the ML300L? I see a there is a flashlight enthusiast review over here. That is a LONG runtime test. Neat that it can maintain 100% output for about 18hrs even if the max output isn’t crazy high. Definitely a light for someone worried about sustainable output rather than maximum output or ergonomics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

Yes the ML300L. it doesn’t drop down , but I think they rate it at just under 700 lumens . Aside from the ugly dark spider web lookin dark spot in the beam , which is easy enough to get rid of , it’s got a very practical and usable beam to it . It’s also an awesome club !

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 26 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5225
Location: Central North America

Olight Ti S Mini

Opple Pro test results on Moonlight level:
CCT 4700K
CRI Ra 66
Tint DUV 0.0105
Average Flicker 520Hz

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 461
Location: EU

Rdubya18 wrote:
Oh yeah , also this ridiculously long 6 D cell Maglight . Hard to believe this isn’t the longest they made Smile It makes me giggle lookin at it Facepalm

!{height:400px; width:500px}https://i.imgur.com/Sy1HH1L.jpg!


Guess you like play Baseball Wink
Kidding apart how much far throw this incandescent beast with 6D cell in series?
Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 461
Location: EU

jon_slider wrote:
Olight Ti S Mini

Opple Pro test results on Moonlight level:
CCT 4700K
CRI Ra 66
Tint DUV 0.0105
Average Flicker 520Hz

!https://i.imgur.com/rah9n8J.jpg!

I wouldn’t be surprised if even LEDs with negative DUV turn much positive when measured at so low currents like moon and firefly mode,we lack often this info.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 26 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5225
Location: Central North America

Here are the 4 modes of the Ti S Mini..

you can see the little dot, and the DUV numbers, all stay above the BBL.

The range from lowest to highest DUV is only 12%… not a significant change:

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

!{height:400px; width:500px}https://i.imgur.com/Sy1HH1L.jpg![/quote]
Guess you like play Baseball Wink
Kidding apart how much far throw this incandescent beast with 6D cell in series?[/quote]

They say 415 m throw . It’s got a large spill area. Not incandescent.

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 461
Location: EU

jon_slider wrote:
Here are the 4 modes of the Ti S Mini..

you can see the little dot, and the DUV numbers, all stay above the BBL.

The range from lowest to highest DUV is only 12%… not a significant change:

!https://i.imgur.com/9nV5rPU.png!

Well, you know that some LEDs have less or greater excursion in tint shift ,like the SST20. Maybe it’s impression but on my 2700k samples DUV increase much more at moon or firefly modes

Gyronamics
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/02/2021 - 21:00
Posts: 25
Rdubya18 wrote:
Yes the ML300L. it doesn’t drop down , but I think they rate it at just under 700 lumens . Aside from the ugly dark spider web lookin dark spot in the beam , which is easy enough to get rid of , it’s got a very practical and usable beam to it . It’s also an awesome club !

Single use club. You give anyone the good news with it and it’s gonna bend on account of being a thin walled aluminium tube thats weighted with batteries.

Still better than no club at all.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 26 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5225
Location: Central North America

Sari33 wrote:
some LEDs have less or greater excursion in tint shift… DUV increase much more at moon or firefly modes

I see what you mean.. I just tested

my FWAA at turbo is 0.0026 lower DUV than at Moonlight… with sw35:

both are DUV below BBL.. but the amount of change is indeed large

… it seems to be because of the large difference in Power used for Turbo and Moonlight..

my SMini has only a small change in DUV, because its highest mode is much lower than on the FWAA..

so yes, Turbo lowers the DUV

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 461
Location: EU

jon_slider wrote:
Sari33 wrote:
some LEDs have less or greater excursion in tint shift… DUV increase much more at moon or firefly modes

I see what you mean.. I just tested

my FWAA at turbo is 0.0026 lower DUV than at Moonlight… with sw35:

both are DUV below BBL.. but the amount of change is indeed large

… it seems to be because of the large difference in Power used for Turbo and Moonlight..

my SMini has only a small change in DUV, because its highest mode is much lower than on the FWAA..
so yes, Turbo lowers the DUV


I guess there is less amount of Tint change on low power Leds like 5mm or 2835 smd,due to lower current excursion.
But I can wrong
CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 1227
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

Just what i always wanted to do on a weekend. Wink
.

.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1512
Location: Swampland,La

Depends what it’s on LOL

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

No matter what it’s on … not the most weekend fun thing to do . But have fun with it anyways ! Wink

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1512
Location: Swampland,La

If it’s not too bad — I always enjoy saving money — compared to the alternative ( Mechanic Bill)

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 608
Location: Ohio

Yeah the mechanics bill has gone way way up in recent years .

CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 1227
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

2000 Olds Intrigue, my work car. Drive 500 miles every week. It gets 30mpg. Trying to get another 100K from it. Wink
Radiator cost $160.00 US from Advance Auto. I do as much repair as possible to save $$, sometimes it gets a little scary digging into a project like this. Getting the lower transmission line clip off required getting light down there first, a mirror, long pic in my left hand, 30 minutes of sweat and patience. Wink
.
The challenge is enjoyable, but the older I get, completion is more enjoyable. Wink
.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1512
Location: Swampland,La

Yep the Older I get the more your hands get cut up and bleed —— Hopefully it wasn’t too bad on you Thumbs Up

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 1588
Location: Wisconsin, USA

I replaced the radiator in a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country with 150,000 miles last summer for $65 (eBay). It’s the kid’s car and the job was pretty straightforward even though I’ve never replaced a radiator before. There was a good YouTube video or 2 that helped tremendously.

I figured with the money I saved I don’t feel as bad buying some more flashlights! Cash

Good luck with yours CNCman.

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 1227
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

NeutralFan wrote:
I replaced the radiator in a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country with 150,000 miles last summer for $65 (eBay). It’s the kid’s car and the job was pretty straightforward even though I’ve never replaced a radiator before. There was a good YouTube video or 2 that helped tremendously.

I figured with the money I saved I don’t feel as bad buying some more flashlights! Cash

Good luck with yours CNCman.


.
It is out, waiting on hoses to arrive tomorrow. Had part is done, I think LOL.
After Katrina our kids moved back in with us for a year. During that time I had to learn a lot about cars. I could not afford those bills. You are correct about more light money ! Big Smile
puglife2
puglife2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 17:56
Posts: 424

Convoy 3×21A SBT90.2 red Steve

Pages