Xenon Pocket Burner???

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
GHOST
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/28/2012 - 05:17
Posts: 76
Xenon Pocket Burner???

http://laserpointerforums.com/f66/xenon-pocket-burner-video-added-72484....

I saw something here where they mod the flashlight with 9V light bulb and… IT BURNS THINGS!!!

Can I ask a question? Can the 9V light bulb fit into my Ultrafire WF-501B for DX.com???

Edited by: GHOST on 12/28/2012 - 03:09
scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Yep, just order the bulb. 

http://dx.com/p/9v-flashlight-bulb-905

Then place it in your light along with 2 16340s. 

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA

Replace that flat glass lens with a glass aspheric and start fires quicker. Now you've got a magnifying glass and sun in your pocket!

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996

Use 2x18350 or 16340 IMR's instead of 16340 LiCoO2.  Except for expensive AW cells, most protected 16340 LiCoO2 weren't made to handle the current needed to start up a cold Xenon bulb.  Xenon bulbs draw a lot more current than normal when starting up, and will trip the protection on most 16340.  The light can still work, you'll just have to flash the bulb a few times to get it up to operating temp, but it can become a real PITA to use.  It's not so bad with a forward clicky, but not worth the trouble with a reverse clicky.  

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2452
Location: Malaysia
scaru wrote:

Yep, just order the bulb. 

http://dx.com/p/9v-flashlight-bulb-905

Then place it in your light along with 2 16340s. 

It looks like P60 drop-in. If so, then I guess it can be fitted into Ultrafire 501B host too?

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

Use 2x18350 or 16340 IMR's instead of 16340 LiCoO2.  Except for expensive AW cells, most protected 16340 LiCoO2 weren't made to handle the current needed to start up a Xenon bulb.  The protection will trip initially and it will take a couple flashes to startup the bulb.  It's not so bad with a forward clicky, but can be a real PITA with a reverse clicky.  

That's assuming they are protected. Wink But good point anyways. 

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996

scaru wrote:

That's assuming they are protected. Wink But good point anyways. 

I was assuming that he would have the sense not to use 2 unprotected LiCoO2 cells in series.  

If not, that light is going to turn into a different kind of fire starter.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

scaru wrote:

That's assuming they are protected. Wink But good point anyways. 

If you're using 2 LiCoO2 cells in series, would you ever use unprotected cells?  

I do, daily in fact. Silly Most people consider the risk to great, but in my experience  it is pretty hard to get a reverse charge. 

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996

scaru wrote:

I do, daily in fact. Silly Most people consider the risk to great, but in my experience  it is pretty hard to get a reverse charge. 

What cells are you using?

I can see that being relatively safe with some high quality 18650 cells.  A good pair of Pana or Sanyo cells are consistent enough where it probably isn't a serious issue. 

But smaller cells like 16340 are much less consistent cell to cell, and thus much riskier to use.  I do not recommend using smaller LiCoO2 cells in series in any situation.

This is especially true with a Xenon bulb.  Some of the 9V Xenon bulbs from DX don't look significantly dimmer at 6V than they do with fresh cells.  It can be hard to tell what charge state your cells are in unless you take them out and measure their voltage with every use.  Why do that when you can get some IMR cells for not much more.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

scaru wrote:

I do, daily in fact. Silly Most people consider the risk to great, but in my experience  it is pretty hard to get a reverse charge. 

What cells are you using?

In what light? I have a X6 with 3 NCR18650, a STL-V2 with 2 NCR18650, a L2P with 2 18350s, a TK35 with 2 UR18650FM, a DRY with 3 NCR18650A, a 3+ amp triple XM-L with 3 NCR18650. 

It actually is not as dangerous as some make it out to me, I had one incident where common sense says there would have been a reverse charge, but there wasn't. (3 batteries: 2 at 3.6 volts and 1 at 0 volts)

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996

I updated my previous post explaining why smaller LiCoO2 cells should not be used in series.

Regarding the L2p with 2x18350, what brand are you using? 

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

I updated my previous post explaining why smaller LiCoO2 cells should not be used in series.

Regarding the L2p with 2x18350, what brand are you using? 

AW, I actually just went and checked and they're LiMn though, I guess I was wrong. Silly

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996

scaru wrote:

AW, I actually just went and checked and they're LiMn though, I guess I was wrong. Silly

Good grief Scaru.

I'm shaking my head.

Scaru, sometimes I think that you should be slower to give advice.  Not that you shouldn't give it at all, but that you should be slower about it.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

scaru wrote:

AW, I actually just went and checked and they're LiMn though, I guess I was wrong. Silly

Good grief Scaru.

I'm shaking my head.

Scaru, sometimes I think that you should be slower to give advice.  Not that you shouldn't give it at all, but that you should be slower about it.

I disagree, I mean I still stand by my statement that 2 LiCo cells in series are safe; whether big or small. I regularly run batteries down to 3v resting, and it is fine. No fires, no explosion, nothing. Because I use good matched cells, when they are the same capacity it is fine. 

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996

scaru wrote:

I disagree, I mean I still stand by my statement that 2 LiCo cells in series are safe; whether big or small. I regularly run batteries down to 3v resting, and it is fine. No fires, no explosion, nothing. Because I use good matched cells, when they are the same capacity it is fine

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  

If you had been slower to post and thought through your response a little more, maybe you would have included the part about, "Because I use good matched cells, when they are the same capacity it is fine" earlier.  When it comes to LiCoO2 safety, using good, matched cells isn't a minor detail, it's pretty major, and you didn't mention that anywhere earlier in this thread.     

By-the-way, in my experience, it's almost impossible to find unprotected 16340 LiCoO2 that are well matched.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

scaru wrote:

I disagree, I mean I still stand by my statement that 2 LiCo cells in series are safe; whether big or small. I regularly run batteries down to 3v resting, and it is fine. No fires, no explosion, nothing. Because I use good matched cells, when they are the same capacity it is fine. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  If you had been slower to post and thought through your response a little more, maybe you would have included the part about, "Because I use good matched cells, when they are the same capacity it is fine." When it comes to LiCoO2 safety, using good, matched cells isn't a minor detail, it's pretty major, and you didn't mention that anywhere earlier in this thread.     

By-the-way, in my experience, it's almost impossible to find unprotected 16340 LiCoO2 that are well matched. 

I didn't say it simply because to me that is common sense, and to anyone who uses li-ions it should be. To me as a "pretty major" detail, it is something everyone should know. If they don't know that they shouldn't be using li-ions. 

If you want well matched 16340s that are unprotected, these did well in my lights. IIRC, one was 552 mah and the other was 535 mah. Pretty close and IMO safe. I would see no problem in running those down until 0. (but not recharging for safety reasons)

GHOST
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/28/2012 - 05:17
Posts: 76

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S000977
http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S000905
(which is better?)

can this replace the light bulb from DX since DX having error while ordering?
and can this fit in the WF-501B?

thank you.

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

GHOST wrote:
http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S000977
http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S000905
(which is better?)

can this replace the light bulb from DX since DX having error while ordering?
and can this fit in the WF-501B?

thank you.

it fit.. but it won’t be bright.. unless you use 2 batteries..
bought one of those for my WF-501B by mistake Smile

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

GHOST
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/28/2012 - 05:17
Posts: 76

Never mind, I just want to try to make the burning torchlight as what shown in here
http://laserpointerforums.com/f66/xenon-pocket-burner-video-added-72484....

Thanks…