What is the brightest budget light?

219 posts / 0 new
Last post
cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3120
Location: northern california

so it really isn't available for $65 shipped. i suppose there is a chance of another promotion though.

Foy
Foy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/02/2011 - 17:56
Posts: 3009
Location: Las Vegas

I'm thinking my Chinese would sound similarly stupid if I tried to wax poetic and/or casual talk on a Chinese language forum.

 

ilikemuchdurablemanybrightloveblfhonortoyourfriendFoy

No referral links and nothing embedded . . . ever.

                      &nbsp

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19515
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

I tried to "Google Translate" one of Foy's classic posts... into Chinese!  This is what it came up with:

我喜歡在沙灘上散步,壽司佩斯利事情是
我恨海報假裝關心我現在使用什麼型號發光二極管手電筒
垃圾郵件福伊

Apparently Google Translate had some trouble.   Smile

EDIT:  I took Vectrex's advice.  LED is now "light emitting diode."

Vectrex
Vectrex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/01/2010 - 15:39
Posts: 2778
Location: Gemany (according to my Black Cat)

try again with "light emitting diode" or "光二极管"

Foy
Foy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/02/2011 - 17:56
Posts: 3009
Location: Las Vegas

It looks cooler in Chinese.  Reminds me of mahjong.

 

lovethatgameFoy

No referral links and nothing embedded . . . ever.

                      &nbsp

Manual Man
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2011 - 01:02
Posts: 411
Location: New Zealand

Bump

If DIY is not too much of an issue I believe this:

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1304

($13.62 ignoring shipping costs)

Could potentially be a game changer when it comes to budget lights (all you need is a little know how and a decent host). About as bright as 2 XMLs at 1/2 the cost. Who said Crees newest LEDs are no good in flashlights. Smile

 

liveoneway87
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 7 months ago
Joined: 04/11/2012 - 12:51
Posts: 1

Wow, there's some good recommendations in this thread! I don't have a lot to offer for this question (as others gave some darn good responses), but I thought some of you may be interested in checking out this upcoming site: http://signup.litemynite.com

Looks like they're going to be an e-commerce store solely focusing on supplying lighting equipment, like flashlights, headlamps and all that stuff. Might be a good place to purchase lighting from in the future.

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

I think the Stanley HID still holds its own in terms of Lumens and Lux per dollar.  I paid $75 for mine, but I have since heard of others getting them on sale for the $30 ball-park.  Its around 3200 bulb lumens (over 2500 OTF), includes battery, charging system (a good one too I might add), 12V vehicle connectivity and a long running LED array good for ~20 lumens.

its not only a lot of lumens and lux per $... its also LOT of features overall.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19515
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

Welcome to BLF, liveoneway87.

Chicago X
Chicago X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 5 months ago
Joined: 07/22/2011 - 16:13
Posts: 4013
Location: See Name

liveoneway87 wrote:

Wow, there's some good recommendations in this thread! I don't have a lot to offer for this question (as others gave some darn good responses), but I thought some of you may be interested in checking out this upcoming site: http://signup.litemynite.com

Looks like they're going to be an e-commerce store solely focusing on supplying lighting equipment, like flashlights, headlamps and all that stuff. Might be a good place to purchase lighting from in the future.

Neat !  Are you part of the team?  We always welcome company reps over here, especially if they help us with some BLF discounts !!!

http://wardogsmakingithome.org/index.html

War Dogs, Making it Home - Rescue Dogs for Returning Vets

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA

liveoneway87 wrote:

Wow, there's some good recommendations in this thread! I don't have a lot to offer for this question (as others gave some darn good responses), but I thought some of you may be interested in checking out this upcoming site: http://signup.litemynite.com

Looks like they're going to be an e-commerce store solely focusing on supplying lighting equipment, like flashlights, headlamps and all that stuff. Might be a good place to purchase lighting from in the future.

welcome to BLF!

I registered... keeping my eye on this one ;^)

Flashman
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2012 - 09:51
Posts: 11
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

The FandyFire STL-V6 for $45 shipped from Deal Xtreme is the brightest budget thrower light I know of for the money. 

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19515
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

Welcome to BLF, Flashman!

Best0270

mertinator
mertinator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 16:43
Posts: 80
Location: Philippines

I think it's also good to recommend the XinTD C8. I'm very happy with mine. There's already a version 3 with a deeper reflector, I think this would have more throw than the previous model.

A cheap flashlight, when done right, is better. 

indenial
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 12:36
Posts: 483
Location: San Jose

I'm new to budget lights, so I was curious to know if this is how it works. A reputable Chinese company, such as Nitecore, is copied by another Chinese company with lesser quality control, such as SkyRay, which in turn is copied by another Chinese company of even lesser quality, such as FandyFire, with the price decreasing with each knock off version.

Is that how it works?

My name is indy, and I've been a flashaholic since 2004.

Sardion Master
Sardion Master's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 19:54
Posts: 259
Location: Tennessee
indenial wrote:

I’m new to budget lights, so I was curious to know if this is how it works. A reputable Chinese company, such as Nitecore, is copied by another Chinese company with lesser quality control, such as SkyRay, which in turn is copied by another Chinese company of even lesser quality, such as FandyFire, with the price decreasing with each knock off version.

Is that how it works?

Yep, pretty much how it goes.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

cehowardGS
cehowardGS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2012 - 17:52
Posts: 476
Location: East Coast

Not hijacking, but could somebody define “budget light”???

The reason I ask, is because I see some lights listed here as the brightest budgetlight, costing almost $100..

In my book, dat ain’t no budget light!! However, I know senility is sinking in on my side, so that is why I like to have a definition of a “budget light”…

Thanks much in advance, Wink

70+, Old, Dirty and Fast..

2100
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4612
Location: SINGAPORE

cehowardGS wrote:
Not hijacking, but could somebody define “budget light”???

The reason I ask, is because I see some lights listed here as the brightest budgetlight, costing almost $100..

In my book, dat ain’t no budget light!! However, I know senility is sinking in on my side, so that is why I like to have a definition of a “budget light”…

Thanks much in advance, Wink

If that budget-brand light (LED) is going to give off 5000 lumens OTF and costs 160 bucks shipped, then hell yes am i going to buy it! Big Smile Eg 12 XM-L with 2 drivers.

Like the above-mentioned TF X100 @ $82, there are like only 2 branded lights at that high a lumens level and they cost 399 and 549.

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4927
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Budget light = < $40.00

At least it used to be here before the great CPF exodus .

What I do

 

2100
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4612
Location: SINGAPORE
jacktheclipper wrote:

Budget light = < $40.00

At least it used to be here before the great CPF exodus .

40 bucks, how to get 2 million cd or 3000 lumens…….

Shadowww
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 19:09
Posts: 1343
Location: Northern Europe

2100 wrote:
40 bucks, how to get 2 million cd or 3000 lumens…….

3000 lumens at $40? Pfft, that’s easy, even $4 will do – just grab two 100W incan bulbs from walmart! Silly
2100
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4612
Location: SINGAPORE

Come to think of it, the Thor 130W incan can’t do 3000 lumens OTF as well….even if it’s 40 bucks. (think cheapest is about 60 + shipping)

cehowardGS
cehowardGS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2012 - 17:52
Posts: 476
Location: East Coast

2100 wrote:
cehowardGS wrote:
Not hijacking, but could somebody define “budget light”???

The reason I ask, is because I see some lights listed here as the brightest budgetlight, costing almost $100..

In my book, dat ain’t no budget light!! However, I know senility is sinking in on my side, so that is why I like to have a definition of a “budget light”…

Thanks much in advance, Wink

If that budget-brand light (LED) is going to give off 5000 lumens OTF and costs 160 bucks shipped, then hell yes am i going to buy it! Big Smile Eg 12 XM-L with 2 drivers.

Like the above-mentioned TF X100 @ $82, there are like only 2 branded lights at that high a lumens level and they cost 399 and 549.

Okay, then I am one off base. I was thinking budget lights are just what it said budget lights. Such as, $5 to maybe $45.

I got 12 lights, the highest price one cost me $37.75, and it is CLAIMED AT 4000 LUM too!! Wink

However, I see your point.. Wink

70+, Old, Dirty and Fast..

GottaZoom
GottaZoom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2012 - 03:14
Posts: 2179

cehowardGS wrote:

Okay, then I am one off base. I was thinking budget lights are just what it said budget lights. Such as, $5 to maybe $45.

I got 12 lights, the highest price one cost me $37.75, and it is CLAIMED AT 4000 LUM too!! Wink

However, I see your point.. Wink

I don’t think you’re off base . . I would say that a high end light can be a good or great Value Light, but that doesn’t make it a Budget Light. I would propose that Budget Lights are lights the masses include in their budgets.

Might be some reasonable discussion about how much, but I’d say the amount is probably limited by what we see for pricing on the wal-mart shelf . . . last time I looked, that was probably close to whatever the LED 2 or 3 D maglites are going for. By that standard, $45 is more than I’d probably spend, but $30-something seems reasonable.

cehowardGS
cehowardGS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2012 - 17:52
Posts: 476
Location: East Coast

GottaZoom wrote:

I don’t think you’re off base . . I would say that a high end light can be a good or great Value Light, but that doesn’t make it a Budget Light. I would propose that Budget Lights are lights the masses include in their budgets.

Might be some reasonable discussion about how much, but I’d say the amount is probably limited by what we see for pricing on the wal-mart shelf . . . last time I looked, that was probably close to whatever the LED 2 or 3 D maglites are going for. By that standard, $45 is more than I’d probably spend, but $30-something seems reasonable.

That above is exactly what I figured was “budget lights”. I have aquired about 13 lights. The highest price one is the one I mentioned for $37.75.. However, it is not the brightest!! Wink

You have reaffirmed my belief, that I do follow the “budgeteer’s code”.. Wink

70+, Old, Dirty and Fast..

Tecmo
Tecmo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 09/30/2011 - 09:00
Posts: 1470
Location: Indiana

GottaZoom wrote:
cehowardGS wrote:

Okay, then I am one off base. I was thinking budget lights are just what it said budget lights. Such as, $5 to maybe $45.

I got 12 lights, the highest price one cost me $37.75, and it is CLAIMED AT 4000 LUM too!! Wink

However, I see your point.. Wink

I don’t think you’re off base . . I would say that a high end light can be a good or great Value Light, but that doesn’t make it a Budget Light. I would propose that Budget Lights are lights the masses include in their budgets.

Might be some reasonable discussion about how much, but I’d say the amount is probably limited by what we see for pricing on the wal-mart shelf . . . last time I looked, that was probably close to whatever the LED 2 or 3 D maglites are going for. By that standard, $45 is more than I’d probably spend, but $30-something seems reasonable.

This is CPF mentality. A $30 AAA light is what they suggest when you mention budget lights. A “budget” anything is just a lower cost version of that product, right?

GottaZoom
GottaZoom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2012 - 03:14
Posts: 2179
Tecmo wrote:
This is CPF mentality. A $30 AAA light is what they suggest when you mention budget lights. A “budget” anything is just a lower cost version of that product, right?

No, a lower cost item can easily be bad value and bad for a budget. When I buy something expensive for a specific purpose, it must be good value and not just cheap or it’s not really suited to my purpose.

Cheap is lower cost . . but cheaper while still delivering most of the value is budget. You could sell a $5 minimag incan clone that works only 40% of the time, but who would want that to save the 35%? And even at 35% off, if the price is beyond the budget of most buyers, then it’s pretty obvious there isn’t enough value to be a good buy for most people. The exception doesn’t make the rule.

The CPF mentality I see is that one must have the best as defined by latest, highest unobtainium and most expensive or they are not worthy. Others may see it differently but that is why I’m not spending much time there. Well, that and the forum format which drives me away the most. There are helpful people there, so it’s really more a matter of personal preference.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4612
Location: SINGAPORE

cehowardGS wrote:
[

Okay, then I am one off base. I was thinking budget lights are just what it said budget lights. Such as, $5 to maybe $45.

I got 12 lights, the highest price one cost me $37.75, and it is CLAIMED AT 4000 LUM too!! Wink

However, I see your point.. Wink

You are not off base, just that lights are like narcotics to some of us. Too much of the same thing, we have 10 × 16340, 10 × 18650, 10 x dual 18650 throwers, 10 of 26650.

Seriously i have quite a few triple XM-L, eight of them (after selling 2 of them) and a 5X XM-L. heh……

That’s the “problem” with budgetlights for some of us….it adds up. $30 doesn’t seem like much, till you realise that you have 40 of them.

Difficult to duct tape them together and declare it a 100,000 lumen monster.

Anzycpethian
Anzycpethian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 3 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2012 - 17:05
Posts: 408
Location: LA

Try the DRY or Trustfire J12 or J18. Rather reliable, good, under 100 bucks…. did I mention POWERFUL!

"Do not Weep. I shall draw all Things which perish into myself When I am lifted from the Earth." ~ Begotten (1991)

Pages