Longer throw without changing the driver !! :) Prototype is done and now it's time for testing.. ( more beam shots)

260 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

NightCrawl wrote:
I think we also have a problem with the definition of throw..

THANK YOU!!!

I was about to explode! Beer

All I know is, I can throw my F20 a lot farther than it can throw back! Big Smile

Some of us “light is particles” crowd do seem to think that pulling all that light into one spot SHOULD push all those photons a lot further down the road…

Even if we “light is waves” types understand propagation of energy, and can actually draw the line for the Inverse Square Law…

Mainly, this is AWESOME to read!!!

8)

Dim

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

scaru wrote:

Well, tonight I will go out with what this thread was about originally (a fresnel lens) and do some longer range beamshots. 


Don’t forget the reflective cylinder … Oops

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

Blinders wrote:
The telescope definitely does increase the throw of your 502b. No math on paper in the world can disprove that.

Only if you put the LED at the exact point your eye would be. At least on my spotting scope that’s how it works. Ironically this “throw” works better with an XM-L (being closer to the exit pupil size), at least with mine. Try it through a rifle scope…

And yes, works quite well to put a very bright spot on something a long way away.

Now if I could line the barrel of it with reflective foil like the OP……. Glasses

Dim

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

DayLighter wrote:
common sense will tell you.. you can’t really turn any flashlight that worth less than $15 into HIDs like thrower.

Uh…

I’d bet the farm that ma_sha1 can. Crown

But it won’t be $15 any more!! H)

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City
leaftye wrote:

Dimbo The Blinky wrote:
Blinders wrote:
The telescope definitely does increase the throw of your 502b. No math on paper in the world can disprove that.
Only if you put the LED at the exact point your eye would be. At least on my spotting scope that’s how it works. Ironically this “throw” works better with an XM-L (being closer to the exit pupil size), at least with mine. Try it through a rifle scope… And yes, works quite well to put a very bright spot on something a long way away. Now if I could line the barrel of it with reflective foil like the OP……. Glasses Dim

 

I just tried it with a Xeno e03 with 14500 and 15x binoculars.  It made a very tiny spot the shape of the LED, but it wasn’t all that bright, and it didn’t throw very far.

 

As far as believing math can’t disprove something.  Wow.

using binoculars won’t work too well, as they have 2 lenses spread far apart, the telescope experiment was using 2 lenses but they’re very close to each other :). if you using freshnel lens (magnifying glass) you will see the result similar to mine Wink

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

Dimbo The Blinky wrote:
DayLighter wrote:
common sense will tell you.. you can’t really turn any flashlight that worth less than $15 into HIDs like thrower.

Uh…

I’d bet the farm that ma_sha1 can. Crown

But it won’t be $15 any more!! H)

then your horses aint gonna have barn anymore Wink

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

leaftye wrote:
I just tried it with a Xeno e03 with 14500 and 15x binoculars.  It made a very tiny spot the shape of the LED, but it wasn’t all that bright, and it didn’t throw very far.

 

As far as believing math can’t disprove something.  Wow.


Strange… Mine makes a tight, sharp-edged, white dot, which gradually gets bigger until I run out of room. My whole yard only lets me “throw” about 100’. And 13 seconds later I’ve wiggled my hand and it’s over. When the rain & cold let up, I’ll see if I can put this mess together outside somewhere…

And I have no idea what the “math” subtext is all about. I’m sorry I let it slip into my quote.

Tired

Dim
(PS: you must be very calm, if you can use 15x binoculars effectively!)

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

DayLighter wrote:
using binoculars won’t work too well, as they have 2 lenses spread far apart, the telescope experiment was using 2 lenses but they’re very close to each other :).

I think it’s safe to assume he just used one lens set.

Of course, the 15x, while huge in binoculars, is just starting to touch most home telescopes’ power range. It seems the magnification should matter…

Quote:
if you using freshnel lens (magnifying glass) you will see the result similar to mine

Speaking of which (and I note even you don’t mention the reflective foil anymore, which was all I could see of your apparatus until I read the thread) has anyone here ever looked at a Lighthouse? (yes, ma_sha1’s beamshots always make me think of them) They’ve been using Fresnel lenses for a long time. Maybe there’s some useful knowledge there? (especially if your aspheric sticks out & gets banged up)

Just thinking out loud…

Dim

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

scaru wrote:
Ok, I will use a TK35 clone with out the reflector. This means there will be absolutely no optics…

What about the transparent cylinder and the reflective wrap? Or are the OP and the first photo still in play?

Not picking on you, scaru, just trying to get a handle on the crosstalk…

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

DayLighter wrote:
HOly crap.. it’s cold out here tonight and so freaking windy.. but in the name of science.. i decided to throw another experiement. Big Smile

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (I noticed your post time.) Party

Quote:
the device is working using just one magnifying glass at the front tube. Big Smile

But wait… Did you notice the gobs and buckets of waste light billowing out of your apparatus??

I though you wrapped it in reflective foil…

That’s what I get for thinking.

And I’m half asleep already. I love the idea, the quick wit, and the clever effort. I especially love the way you defend your ideas. Nicely done (ditto for the rest of you, scaru, ma_sha1, and everyone else!! THANK YOU ALL!!!) (sorry I can’t remember all the names at 02:30) Now I’m going to go pull up the Michaelson-Morley experiment again & read myself to sleep…

Dim (and getting dimmer)

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

Dimbo The Blinky wrote:
DayLighter wrote:
HOly crap.. it’s cold out here tonight and so freaking windy.. but in the name of science.. i decided to throw another experiement. Big Smile

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (I noticed your post time.) Party

Quote:
the device is working using just one magnifying glass at the front tube. Big Smile

But wait… Did you notice the gobs and buckets of waste light billowing out of your apparatus??

I though you wrapped it in reflective foil…

That’s what I get for thinking.

And I’m half asleep already. I love the idea, the quick wit, and the clever effort. I especially love the way you defend your ideas. Nicely done (ditto for the rest of you, scaru, ma_sha1, and everyone else!! THANK YOU ALL!!!) (sorry I can’t remember all the names at 02:30) Now I’m going to go pull up the Michaelson-Morley experiment again & read myself to sleep…

Dim (and getting dimmer)

i only covered the front part of the tube..the waste light? you meant that “ring” light? it coming out from the edge of the device
i’m glad you find this reading amusing ,perhaps it will help lull you to sleep Wink

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

skyrider1 wrote:
Originally I came into this thread thinking you found some way to increase lumen output without changing what the LED was driven at which I would have been highly interested in.
Got us all. Same way. Glad he did.

Quote:
In the end (like I said before), you created a cheap way to focus your floody lights and make them more useful

AND a clever way to stir up a Very Useful discourse.

Quote:
However, the system created is still not as good as an aspherical one.

That depends. Have you seen a Fresnel with an aspheric profile ? I don’t know, but knowing how Fresnels are made, it seems only a matter of asking. There are many lighthouses which wouldn’t be there were it not for M. Fresnel. How many aspherics protrude enough to be a problem?

Good night all!

Dimmest.

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

DayLighter wrote:
the waste light? you meant that “ring” light? it coming out from the edge of the device

Nah, man. THIS waste light:
(Notice the huge brightly lit thing in the foreground with a flashlight sticking out of the end…)

I assume the rings on the walls are due to transmittance of the plastic cylinders.

And no, this isn’t somnolescent at all. It’s too new, too clever, too interesting. Only the classics do that to me. 0:) Thanks for keeping me awake! Smile

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

Dimbo The Blinky wrote:
DayLighter wrote:
the waste light? you meant that “ring” light? it coming out from the edge of the device

Nah, man. THIS waste light:
(Notice the huge brightly lit thing in the foreground with a flashlight sticking out of the end…)

I assume the rings on the walls are due to transmittance of the plastic cylinders.

And no, this isn’t somnolescent at all. It’s too new, too clever, too interesting. Only the classics do that to me. 0:) Thanks for keeping me awake! Smile

i didn’t cover it so i can take picture of the flashlight inside it.. but look cool no? Big Smile it looks like some kind of “death ray” device :bigsmile:

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

I wasn’t going to post anymore either, but this is too much:

NZ Shooter wrote:

Question

Why is it that when you put your finger over the tip of a hose the water shoots out farther?
[snip]
If a certain amount of water flows into the hose from the spigot, that water must either flow out of the hose at the other end, or accumulate inside the hose itself.

(Since no one here wrote this, I see no reason to hold back with the cattle prod)

Or STOP, as any child who has tried this will tell you. This is why we tell physics students to go outside and play.

“Accumulate”?? As in “compress”?? How does a physics student compress or accumulate water? H2O is pretty hard to compress, IIRC. All that’s left is “flow out of the hose”, which makes “either” somewhat pretentious. And this guy’s considered an “expert”? Remember, “EX” is “FORMER” and a “SPURT” is a “DRIP UNDER PRESSURE”…

Quote:
Since a garden hose is made of stiff plastic (generally), it won’t expand to let more water accumulate, so the water must eventually flow out of the end of the hose.

Uh… Only in a college physics classroom. Out here in the big room with the blue ceiling, our hoses expand considerably (being flexible and all) and will most definitely increase the pressure when you relax your finger enough (or open the spray head) to allow the flow to resume.

Quote:
Since the same amount of water has to flow out of the hose before and after you place you finger over the end
Or NOT. “Has to”?? Says WHO? And how did he propose that the same flow rate at the same pressure makes it through a smaller opening??

People, drugs don’t do this. Only a long period of faith-based indoctrination can lead to this sort of “Bovine Scatology”. And you wonder why Light is so hard to understand!

But speaking of drips, it’s really a shame that light does not follow the rules of ‘textbook fluid mechanics’. Then we wouldn’t have to fight through the whole Double-Slit quagmire; but that would also render this thread moot. Even in electronics, we get past the “water” metaphor as quickly as possible, to limit (or “restrict”) confusion (hint, hint).

I’m sorry, it’s too late and I’m too interested in the rest of this thread to give this “physics grad student” opinion the treatment it deserves. To prove it to yourself, take a deep container and poke a few holes in a line up-&-down. Cover them & fill it with water. Uncover all holes. Which one squirts farther? Why? Now put a nozzle on your hose & seal it. Open the spigot fully & tell me how much water comes out. Why? If you can afford it, put a pressure gauge on your hose and observe. (And if your kid wants to go to Berkeley physics, send him to the Army first so he can learn something useful.)

Speaking of reasoning by analogy, should I use a thrower or a flooder to see this Darkness on the back of my eyelids?

(Sorry if I gored your sacred cow. It’s a Dimbo thing, and I’m not usually THIS nice, this late…)

Dim

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4122
Location: Connecticut

dchomak wrote:
In electrical circuits, one can emulate a constant current source by having a high voltage power supply in series with a high resistor. For example a 300 volt source in series with a 300 ohm resistor will give 1 amp to a 1 ohm load. It will also give 1 amp to a 2 ohm, or 3 ohm load. In other words, it would appear to be a constant current source.

This water and hose example appears to be a constant flow source because the relatively high resistance of the length of garden hose. Within certain changes in the restrictions at the end it can appear as a constant flow source.

In the above electrical circuit, placing a higher resistance load it becomes apparent the the supply is NOT a constant current source. (a 600 ohm load will only draw 1/3 amp)

I am repeating myself because this example of an electrical circuit explains what is experienced at the end of a garden hose.

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

DayLighter wrote:
Um.. just wondering,can we go back to *my idea*and see how we can improve this idea into a better one? :Sp

+1**2.
(does anyone know how to write “plus one, squared” in this editor? Superscripts?)

Analogies are worse than “unpleasant” language, IMNERHO. At least those who cuss and yell have invested enough thought into the subject to have a vigorous opinion and the commitment to express it and defend it in whatever words they choose. Who could ask for anything more? The OP seems to be a Good Example of that spirit. Despite the avalanche of “slings and arrows”, he has “stuck to his guns” and made his point heard (and understood, at least by this dim bulb) over the din of naysayers, trolls and “meetoos”. Besides, it’s tough to have “peer-reviewed” and “censored” (even “SELF-censored”) in the same bucket.

That is what (IMNERHO) makes BLF an excellent forum. It is certainly why I signed up here and nowhere else!

Having said that, I do grok that it’s hard to get passers-by and newcomers to “get” that the screaming and “dirty words” aren’t angry or mean, just enthusiastic. I like to think of it this way: If you PUSH me, I can go FARTHER than I might have gone under my own power. So push me! Challenge me. Insult me. Beat me over the head if that’s how you want to communicate — I’m a big boy (in the land of “Free Speech”), so if I can’t take it, that’s MY problem, not yours! You make me better for the effort, and I (for one) appreciate all the help I can get!

But I do regret the distractions…

The Apparatus is the awesome part of this whole mess, and it seems several posters are just wandering away over the silly bucket (a bucket full of fallacies, not IMO) and overly-precise definitions of poorly-defined words.

(PS: re: censorship: A wise man said, Before Turning The Gun On Himself: “…if you are offended by the noises people make with their mouths (or type with their keyboards, says Dimbo), it just proves one thing — that your parents were unfit to raise children.”)

Dim

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1633
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

I’m having a hard time finding that cool acrylic tubing. I was wondering if a 2-liter soda bottle, cut off at the bottom, would work, if there were some way to attach the torch? Maybe painted white or silver to keep more light on the fresnel?

See, I didn’t forget about the apparatus…

Dim
(PS: Have you ever worked with fiber-optic cable?)

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

Dimbo The Blinky wrote:
I’m having a hard time finding that cool acrylic tubing. I was wondering if a 2-liter soda bottle, cut off at the bottom, would work, if there were some way to attach the torch? Maybe painted white or silver to keep more light on the fresnel?

See, I didn’t forget about the apparatus…

Dim
(PS: Have you ever worked with fiber-optic cable?)

you can find acrylic tubing on ebay.. they sell all kind of sizes.. i think the minimum is 12”
it doesn’t have to be acrylic, white PVC tubing the kind that they used for plumbing is also cheaper ( but not cooler ;)) sold at most home improvement stores, ( home depot, lowes, ACE.. etc)

fiber optic? not really.. it’s hard to fuse them together Smile

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

Pages