Huge List of Ceiling Bounce Readings (Every mode from every flashlight in my collection!!!)

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa
Huge List of Ceiling Bounce Readings (Every mode from every flashlight in my collection!!!)

Here is a list of ceiling bounce readings from all of my current flashlights. If you have any questions or if you notice an error, let me know.

  • All tests were done with fully charged batteries (4.19-4.21v) or (+1.5v for AA/AAA).
  • All tests were done with the reflector 53"-54" from the ceiling, in the same location, the same distance from the meter, and aimed in the same spot.
  • All tests were done starting on the lowest mode and ending on the highest, allowing adequate cool-down between readings.
  • All readings were taken 2-3 seconds after the light was turned on.

  • 18650 = TrustFire 3000mah "Flame" Protected
  • 14500= TrustFire 900mah "Flame" Protected
  • AA= Duracell "Duralock" Alkaline
  • AAA= Sanyo Eneloop (3rd Gen) NiMh




Flashlight:

ModeLux ReadingApprox. Lumens
Flooders
Brinyte B40S (XM-L U2) 3x18650Hi216 3615
 Med83 1390
 Low22 370
    
ThruNite TN30 (XM-L2 U2) 3x186506190 3180
 5115 1925
 467 1120
 326 435
 24 70
 10 <15
    
DRY (XM-L T6 NW) 3x18650Turbo175 2930
 Hi104 1740
 Med44 740
 Low11 185
    
ThruNite TN30 (XM-L U2) 3x186506172 2880
 5106 1775
 461 1020
 324 400
 23 50
 10 <15
    
TrustFire TR-J12 (XM-L T6) 3x18650Hi166 2780
 Med93 1555
 Low14 235
    
UltraFire UF-T70 (XM-L T6) 3x18650Hi142 2380
 Low22 370
    
SkyRay King (XM-L T6 NW) 4x18650Hi140 2345
*CNQualityGoods w/ old looking driver*Low15 250
    
SkyRay King (XM-L T6 NW) 4x18650Hi120 2010
*CNQualityGoods w/ old looking driver*Low14 235
    
SkyRay King (XM-L T6) 4x18650Hi115 1925
*Lightmalls w/ old looking driver*Low11 185
    
TrustFire TR-3T6 (XM-L T6) 2x18650Hi97 1625
 Med50 835
 Low10 165
    


Throwers

    
BTU Shocker (T6 NW) 3x18650Turbo140 2345
 Hi112 1875
 Med53 885
 Low4 65
    
ThruNite TN31 (XM-L2 U2) 3x18650685 1425
 553 885
 431 520
 312 200
 23 50
 10 <15
    
ThruNite TN31 (XM-L U2) 3x18650670 1170
 544 735
 426 435
 311 185
 22 35
 10 <15
    
UltraFire HD2010 (XM-L T6) 1x26650Hi56 935
 Med19 320
 Low3 50
    
FandyFire STL-V6 (XM-L T6) 2x18650Hi52 870
 Low6 100
    
FandyFire STL-V6 (XM-L T6) 2x18650Hi49 820
 Low5 85
    
SmallSun ZY-T08 (XM-L T6) 2x18650Hi40 670
 Med20 235
 Low10 170
    


Medium Size

    
UltraFire C8 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi60 1005
 Med25 420
 Low3 50
    
UniqueFire C108 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi55 920
 Med35 585
 Low11 185
    
UltraFire UF-980L (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi55 920
 *Manafont 3.8amps*Med19 320
 Low4 70
    


P60

    
SolarForce L2P (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi50 835
*Manfont/Ultrafire w/ OP Reflector*Med16 270
 Low3 50
    
UltraFire 501B (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi42 705
 Low12 200
    
UltraFire 504B (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi42 705
 Med21 350
 Low2 35
    
SolarForce L2P (XM-L T6 NW) 1x18650Hi40 670
*intl-outdoor 2.5amp w/ OP Reflector*Med16 270
 Low5 85
    
UltraFire 501B (XR-G R5) 1x18650Hi21 350
    
SureFire G2 (SSC P4) 2xCR132Hi5 85
    


Small Size

    
UltraFire UF-T50 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi40 670
    
UltraFire HD2011 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi48 805
 Med24 400
 Low4 65
    
UltraFire UF-2100 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi40 670
 Med22 365
 Low5 85
    
UltraFire G10 (XR-E Q5) 1x14500Hi29 485
    
UltraFire G10 (XR-E Q5) 1xAAHi7.2 120
    
UltraFire U20S (XM-L T6) 1x14500Hi23 385
    
UltraFire U20S (XM-L T6) 1xAAHi6.7 110
    
UltraFire C3 (XR-E Q5) 1x14500Hi19 320
    
UltraFire C3 (XR-E Q5) 1xAAHi6.2 105
    


"Ti" Size

    
ThruNite Ti2 (XP-G2) 1xEneloop AAAHi5.2 90
    
ThruNite Ti (XP-E R4) 1xEneloop AAAHi4.2 70
    
ThruNite Ti (XP-E R4) 1xEneloop AAAHi3.9 65
    


Zoomies

    
Sipik SK98 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi52 870
 Low12 200
    
LIE REN LC-01 (XM-L T6) 1x18650Hi30 500
 Med10 165
 Low4 70
    
NEW C55 (XR-E Q5) 1x18650Hi17 285
 Low3 50
    
Tank007 TK736 (XR-E Q5) 1x18650Hi14 235
 Med4 70
 Low1 15
    
TomTop SK68 Clone (XR-E Q5) 1x14500Hi18 300
    
TomTop SK68 Clone (XR-E Q5) 1xAAHi6.8 115
    
TomTop SK68 Clone (XR-E Q5) 1x14500Hi16.5 275
    
TomTop SK68 Clone (XR-E Q5) 1xAAHi5.9 100
    
    
Edited by: -JOE- on 02/16/2013 - 02:34
scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Hmm... Were these all taken in the same space? I'll try to calculate a conversion factor for them, thanks for the hard work!

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

Thanks. Smile

Yup, almost as exact as it can get. I am very picky and tried to eliminated every single variable.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Ok, so going off of a couple different lights that I was able to find output data on; I got an approximate conversion factor of 16.74. So just take a lux reading and multiply by 16.74. This seems to work for the most part assuming we are talking about decently bright lights, a few outliers though. 

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

scaru wrote:

Ok, so going off of a couple different lights that I was able to find output data on; I got an approximate conversion factor of 16.74. So just take a lux reading and multiply by 16.74. This seems to work for the most part assuming we are talking about decently bright lights, a few outliers though. 



Nice work, I will update the above table with aprox. lumens tomorrow. (Too many numbers for one night already)
blueb8llz
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 06/02/2012 - 01:16
Posts: 3101
Location: California

thanks for this. alot of good data here, and boy do you have a lot of lights.

Tecmo
Tecmo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/2011 - 09:00
Posts: 1470
Location: Indiana

I love stuff like this. For sure do the conversion to lumens. I was doing x15 in my head but I think Scaru got it right Smile

southcovekayak
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/04/2012 - 14:06
Posts: 387
Location: edge of the Atlantic

Some surprises in there to me, will enjoy looking at the listing a second time when you post lumens. Nice collection of lights too!

Next comment – were you surprised by any of the results, thinking one was outputting a whole lot more, etc?

darkness
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/06/2013 - 13:26
Posts: 90
Location: California

Nice list! Thanks for putting in the time to do this.

ObiWan-Kenobi
ObiWan-Kenobi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/11/2012 - 09:37
Posts: 85
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for doing all that. A really nice reference point for comparisons.

Smile
-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

southcovekayak wrote:
Some surprises in there to me, will enjoy looking at the listing a second time when you post lumens. Nice collection of lights too! Next comment - were you surprised by any of the results, thinking one was outputting a whole lot more, etc?

I saw a lot of beams yesterday but none of them really made me question the readings. I think the CW readings might be a little higher than they should be and the NW ones a little lower than what they should be. However, it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me. I think the readings are fairly close. If they are off, it isn't by very much.


My surprises:
B40S= Holy cow it can put out a lot of light

TN30 XM-L2= What a versatile light! 3180 lumens all the way down to moonlight. An amazing light that will not be leaving my collection for a very long time.

DRY= Even though feature wise I don't like this flashlight it sure is bright. It placed 3rd amongst some really bright lights! I just hate having strobe between Hi and Turbo.

Sky Ray King= Not sure why there is such a huge variation between lights here. They are all XM-L T6 (my signature is wrong, the two from CNQualitygoods are definitely both NW T6). The Lightmalls ones has had about 2 sets of batteries through it so I'm not sure if that is affecting it's performance or maybe it's not an authentic one. The cnquality ones also have quite a spread too. The six-month old (120lux) one has had one set of batteries thought it and the (140lux) one is new. Once again maybe the emitters are getting too hot?


BTU Shocker= A great mix of flood and throw. I just wish it was 4x18650 and had a sideswitch.

TN31 XM-L2= Another ridiculous light, the throw is amazing and I can never get enough of moonlight mode.

HD2010= This light is a diamond in the rough for sure. It out-throws both of my STL-V6s. The last one I bought from the same place (easylightbuy) isn't nearly the same light. So when you hear me talk about a "good" HD2010, this is what I mean.

ZY-T08= At only 670 lumens this light has some serious potential. It would be a great light if it is bumped up into the 900+ lumen range.


UltraFire C8= This is another diamond in the rough. It performs like a U2 or U3 but I bought it over a year ago so I am pretty sure it is a legit T6.

UltraFire 980L= It doesn't seem to be performing as well as it should. I really think it is an authentic one because I bought it a while ago after reading Foy's review and from Manafont. I think my batteries might be limiting this light?


SolarForce L2P w/ intl-outdoor NW= I think this light should be at about 700lumens. This is really the one reading that stands out to me as being low. It is a very nice drop-in with an awesome tint and 2.5amps is just about right for a P60 in my opinion.

SureFire G2= Hah, can you believe this light started it all?!? I used to think this light was bright...Laughing


HD2011= I really like this light for an EDC. On high (more like turbo) I wrap my hand around the head. I typically use it on medium though because 400 lumens is usually plenty.

UltraFire G10= This light is a monster on a 14500 battery. I'm not sure how long it will last but man is it bright.

UltraFire U20S- This is my EDC light 75% of the time. There is very little heat sag; it maintained its lux reading way longer than the rest of the AA lights.


Ti2= This might become my new EDC because it is so small and extremely bright for it's size.

Ti= I'm not sure why there is a variation here between lights. They are both brand new.


SK98= This light has literally no heat transfer so it probably wouldn't last long if you plan to use it for long periods. However, it is my favorite "wall of light" flashlight that I own. I mean the wide, bright beam is jaw dropping.

Tank TK736= This is a great light with amazing build quality. I just wish it was brighter. I still think if someone is looking for a nice zoomie they should buy one.

Sipik Clones= Everyone needs to give these to all of their family members and have one in every vehicle. They are great lights and for $6 you just can't beat them.

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

Thanks for catching those two errors. Smile My calculator and keyboard was getting a workout so I knew I would probably mess something up. Glad it was two quick fixes.

Did you say my test is impossible?

luvlites
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/29/2012 - 16:55
Posts: 354

Ceiling bounce readings are simply (big) lightbox readings. Please see:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?301459-How-to-convert...

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

Ya I don't take my readings as being 100% of what they really are but they seem like they are fairly close. I am mostly using this data for comparing my lights against one another.


I still don't undertand what you mean by "This kind of accuracy with such varied lights and emitters is impossible with ceiling bounce readings taken with a $29 lux meter."

What is "this kind of accuracy"? My data is linear because I multiplied all points by 16.74.

luvlites
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/29/2012 - 16:55
Posts: 354

You can’t just take readings and multiply by a constant. Real life is a lot “messier.” Did you read Selfbuilt’s post I gave you the link to and look at his plots? If you want to estimate lumens with a lux meter and a lightbox, take a series of readings versus their reported IS lumens and make a regression formula from them with lumens being the dependent variable, then plug any new lux readings into THAT to estimate lumens, assuming the new readings were taken under the exact same conditions as the readings you developed the regression formula from.

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

Ok, ya I see what you mean.

texaspyro
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 04/29/2011 - 12:43
Posts: 4593
luvlites wrote:
You can’t just take readings and multiply by a constant. Real life is a lot “messier.” Did you read Selfbuilt’s post I gave you the link to and look at his plots? If you want to estimate lumens with a lux meter and a lightbox, take a series of readings versus their reported IS lumens and make a regression formula from them with lumens being the dependent variable, then plug any new lux readings into THAT to estimate lumens, assuming the new readings were taken under the exact same conditions as the readings you developed the regression formula from.

Ooooh, to complicated. Just pull a random number out of you ass and mulltiply it by 5 like all the Chinese sellers do. Wink

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia
Big Smile

luvlites
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/29/2012 - 16:55
Posts: 354

texaspyro wrote:
Ooooh, to complicated. Just pull a random number out of you ass and mulltiply it by 5 like all the Chinese sellers do. Wink

Sounds complicated but actually it’s just a few clicks in excel. 8)
-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

luvlites wrote:
texaspyro wrote:
Ooooh, to complicated. Just pull a random number out of you ass and mulltiply it by 5 like all the Chinese sellers do. ;)
Sounds complicated but actually it's just a few clicks in excel. 8)

I really familiar with doing regression lines in Excel but that is when I have two numbers for each data point.

How can you do a regression line with only one number for each data point?
luvlites
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/29/2012 - 16:55
Posts: 354

JOE wrote:
I really familiar with doing regression lines in Excel but that is when I have two numbers for each data point.

How can you do a regression line with only one number for each data point?

Think of the room you’re doing your ceiling bounce readings in as a big lightbox because in effect it is, and I’ll call it that to keep things simple. A lux is one lumen per square meter but what we really want to know is, how do lux as measured in your particular lightbox translate into lumens? That’s what the regression formula is for. We need two columns of data to come up with it: 1) lux as measured in the lightbox (your ceiling bounce readings), and 2) actual lumens. Ideally, we’d get the latter from calibrated integrating sphere readings of each light but not everyone has a calibrated integrating sphere handy and if we did we wouldn’t need to do ceiling bounce readings, so we’ll use manufacturer reported lumens that we believe are credible as a proxy. What the regression formula does is quantify the relationship between lux, as measured by your readings, and lumens which can then be applied to other lights. In other words, you develop the formula with maybe ten or so lights (using your lux readings versus manufacturer reported lumens) and then use it to estimate the lumens of other, different lights by plugging the ceiling bounce readings of those lights into the regression formula.
-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

Ya see that is the problem. (Finding the second column of actual lumens)

We have to remove all ****fire type of lights because they all have extremely exaggerated lumens. That leaves us with Thrunite basically. Who knows maybe they are exaggerated as well.

I'm not sure where you can find accurate lumen numbers for these lights.

southcovekayak
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/04/2012 - 14:06
Posts: 387
Location: edge of the Atlantic

Appreciate your detailed answers to my questions. Looking to put a good size flood on my shelf soon and your information & comments were helpful.

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

The problem is that I only have a few lights that I feel confident in the manufacturer lumens. (from ThruNite so six flashlights)

I also think your data would be much closer to 1 if you used an exponential regression line. A polynomial one would get you ever closer to 1 but it would be unrealistic.

I've thought about doing what you are doing before but I never had lights from a manufacturer that didn't exaggerate the lumens.

-JOE-
-JOE-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/25/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 553
Location: Iowa

The reason I mentioned exponential is because your numbers don't look linear. They suggest an upward curve. I don't see why you say it is terrible because I bet it gives you a better R^2 value. I agree a linear line is ideal because that "should be" the relationship between lux and lumens.

Ya I know polynomial isn't realistic that's why I said it would be "unrealistic". You can make almost any set of data R^2=1 with a polynomial regression line which isn't a good thing when there is a limited amount of data points.

I don't claim to know everything about this. I am just questioning why you trust manufacturer lumens. I know we have to start somewhere but why bash me for giving approximate lumens?

I know you are trying to help and your light box and lux reading knowledge greatly surpasses mine. But I'm not exactly "just starting out"... not sure how you gathered that? I live and breathe flashlights and run my own flashlight business. (currently expanding online) I am currently seeking my BA in Marketing because I would like to become Product Manger/Sales Manager/etc. for a flashlight company one day.

The reason I posted about reading my lux meter is because the numbers were so off that I assumed I must have been reading it wrong. I was reading it right. My numbers were off because it isn't exactly spelled out that everyone did there lux readings at more than 1m and then converted back. I think anyone doing lux readings the first time would assume the same thing.

I just love flashlights and am proud to have BLF to talk about these amazing gems.

This week I will try to get a regression line figured out that I feel confident and will update my estimated lumens readings. I think they are close but I would like to get them closer. Thanks luvlites for sparking my interest in getting my numbers closer perfect.Laughing