[19-FEB-2013] Help choose three new lights for the BLF frontpage welcome!

132 posts / 0 new
Last post
ChiggerPepi
ChiggerPepi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 08/20/2012 - 19:32
Posts: 628
Location: Big Island, Hawaii

Sorry, I added the XinTD before I realized you could scroll down.

(now there are two)

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 7095
Location: The Light

ChiggerPepi wrote:
Sorry, I added the XinTD before I realized you could scroll down.

(now there are two)

Yeah sorry, sometimes the brainstorm widget doesn’t seem to resize the scrollable contents correctly to the bottom of the frame. I fixed it for you and transferred your vote, ChiggerPepi.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4814
Location: USA

Mr. Admin, please delete mine as well for the ZY-T13 as it was a double post. Thanks.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 7095
Location: The Light
FlashPilot wrote:
Mr. Admin, please delete mine as well for the ZY-T13 as it was a double post. Thanks.

You bet.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Davx
Davx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 03/17/2011 - 20:29
Posts: 910
Location: Italy

Voted for Sk68, SF and C8… in my opinion are the three kings of the budget lights in the last two year…
Maybe also HD2010 but i only have 3 votes!

"There are always new jobs, women, and apartments......there is only ONE BLF." - Chicago X (27/03/2012)

MrCG
MrCG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/17/2013 - 10:50
Posts: 530
Location: Deutschländ

Sipik
Solarforce
maybe a triple

joe1512
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/03/2011 - 15:31
Posts: 331
Location: Dallas,TX

You had 3 lights that basically look the same and are in the same category.

Pick 1 light from the super-bright category. One of the triple XM-Ls or similar.

Pick 1 keychain or small 1xAA light. Something with a clip.

Then pick a 1×18650 light, preferably a flood to throw, but just whatever good utility light is out there.

That allows you to show some of the lighting diversity that exists today.

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

Sk68, a classic
Nitecore EA4 . Someday it will be a classic
Thrunite Ti , Who does not have a Ti?

Tecmo
Tecmo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/30/2011 - 09:00
Posts: 1470
Location: Indiana

joe1512 wrote:
You had 3 lights that basically look the same and are in the same category.

Pick 1 light from the super-bright category. One of the triple XM-Ls or similar.

Pick 1 keychain or small 1xAA light. Something with a clip.

Then pick a 1×18650 light, preferably a flood to throw, but just whatever good utility light is out there.

That allows you to show some of the lighting diversity that exists today.

That’s what is winning already. We will have the Sipik and King, along with whatever wins between the C8 and Solarforce probably.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10793
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Tecmo wrote:
That’s what is winning already. We will have the Sipik and King, along with whatever wins between the C8 and Solarforce probably.

Indeed. It looks like things are shaping up well.

I just don’t understand the appeal of a P60 host, even if it’s a good P60 host… just doesn’t seem like there’s much point when you could instead get a throwy C8 or a floody tube/cigar light, especially when either one costs less than a full P60 package.

That Ninja Guy
That Ninja Guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/17/2012 - 16:39
Posts: 607
Location: America's High Five, USA, Earth

I personally think the Sk68 appears cheap not budget, but I have not owned one, only a TIR clone which was trash.

Also I didn’t even think about a SolarForce P60 host, one should most definitely be up there.

Kokopelli
Kokopelli's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/17/2010 - 08:05
Posts: 1162
Location: Turkey

I have plenty of Solarforce L2s,
Two Sipik 68s,
Two Uf 502bs,
Two Skyray Kings

I’d definitely like to see a P60 light there.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3625
Location: Houston, TX

Tecmo wrote:
Sk68
King
HD2010
Mini-01
Jacob A60
HD Defiant

I can’t edit the thing but these should be choices

Totally with you on that.

While we’re at it, why not change the slogan to “Where Frugal Meets Flashlights” as opposed to “Where Frugal Meets WITH Flashlight!” Sounds awkward and wordy.

That Ninja Guy
That Ninja Guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/17/2012 - 16:39
Posts: 607
Location: America's High Five, USA, Earth

Rusty Joe wrote:
While we’re at it, why not change the slogan to “Where Frugal Meets Flashlights” as opposed to “Where Frugal Meets WITH Flashlight!” Sounds awkward and wordy.

+1

I’ve actually always read it without the with, seems my brain just skipped over it…

Tecmo
Tecmo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/30/2011 - 09:00
Posts: 1470
Location: Indiana

That Ninja Guy wrote:
Rusty Joe wrote:
While we’re at it, why not change the slogan to “Where Frugal Meets Flashlights” as opposed to “Where Frugal Meets WITH Flashlight!” Sounds awkward and wordy.

+1

I’ve actually always read it without the with, seems my brain just skipped over it…

+2

I never noticed the “with” either!

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

BLF A8, OL custom middle, C8.

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

BorisTheSpider
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 23:27
Posts: 122
Location: Carroll County, Ohio
Trevi_lux wrote:
Thrunite Ti , Who does not have a Ti?

Me, but I do accept donations. Wink

I also like the idea of three different form factors, if we’re sticking with just three lights. On that point, why is it staying at just three lights? A fourth and/or fifth could just as easily be included in the new logo.

Home-brew is mastic.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10793
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Trevi_lux wrote:
Nitecore EA4 . Someday it will be a classic
Thrunite Ti , Who does not have a Ti?

Hmm. EA4 is definitely nice, but it doesn’t seem very “budget” since you can get a much cheaper C8 to achieve the same output. Or even a cheap Li-Ion tube light, if you prefer size over throw. Maybe a Convoy S2/S3 gift set w/ batteries and a charger for half as much as the cheapest EA4.

The Thrunite Ti never seemed as appealing to me as the classic iTP A3 EOS / Olight i3, or the cheaper models like Tank007 E09 and all the other similar lights. I like having three modes on my 1xAAA light. The Fenix model is still probably best overall, but it’s 2X to 3X as much as the almost-identical budget models.

Orion
Orion's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/18/2012 - 18:05
Posts: 896
Location: Where women growl & men chunder.

Tecmo wrote:
That Ninja Guy wrote:
Rusty Joe wrote:
While we’re at it, why not change the slogan to “Where Frugal Meets Flashlights” as opposed to “Where Frugal Meets WITH Flashlight!” Sounds awkward and wordy.

+1

I’ve actually always read it without the with, seems my brain just skipped over it…

+2

I never noticed the “with” either!

+3 cos it’s redundant.

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” – Sydney Carton in ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ by Charles Dickens (1812-1870).

Flomotion
Flomotion's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 days ago
Joined: 12/02/2012 - 15:13
Posts: 1405
Location: Pacific Northwest

ZY-T13
SRK
C-8

Flomotion

RaceR86
RaceR86's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 02/22/2012 - 08:32
Posts: 3777
Location: Norway
ToyKeeper wrote:
I just don’t understand the appeal of a P60 host, even if it’s a good P60 host… just doesn’t seem like there’s much point when you could instead get a throwy C8 or a floody tube/cigar light, especially when either one costs less than a full P60 package.

I sold my C8. Why? Because I stopped using it after I got a P60.
Why I prefer P60s above C8 style lights:

-Size of head are not too small, but still small enough to go into most pockets comfortably.
-Beam. More flood. Much better for close to medium range. Does not give tunnel vision like C8.
-The ability to easily change drop-ins:
1- Different emitters (XP-G for throw, XM-L for flood and general use)
2- Different hosts for different use (Going a late evening mountain trip I know I might dent the flashlight a little running down a step mountain, so I take a more abused host)
3- Different tints in the right host for the job (High CRI/warm white for outdoor nature)
-The amount of different hosts. Cheap, bling, camo, colorful, clean, high quality, different shapes, etc..
-The ability the “lego” some parts for you own unique flashlight
-Building your own drop-in is super easy and the total cost is about 10$ with a nice driver.
-Custom drop-ins like triple XP-Gs etc..
-Parts are easily available. SMO/OP reflectors, lenses, rubber caps.

I dont own a L2P (yet?), I have L2T and some others. But I feel the L2P represents the typical high quality P60 host with a classic design. It basically shows that you can buy a budget light but still get a host that can be compared with a much more expensive Surefire host.
I also think a P60 represents some of the modding community on BLF. Many start with a P60 for their modding adventures. L2P is a nice host to represent all the P60 lights on this forum..

By looking at the voting system from the brainstorming site, the two C8 lights have more votes. But if a several P60 style lights L2T, L2N, Ultrafire 501B etc, etc were added I think they would get the highest combined results when comparing P60 vs C8 style lights..

BLF LED database – collaboration spreadsheet and latest news about where to buy LEDs
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19342

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 7095
Location: The Light

Orion wrote:
Tecmo wrote:
That Ninja Guy wrote:
Rusty Joe wrote:
While we’re at it, why not change the slogan to “Where Frugal Meets Flashlights” as opposed to “Where Frugal Meets WITH Flashlight!” Sounds awkward and wordy.

+1

I’ve actually always read it without the with, seems my brain just skipped over it…

+2

I never noticed the “with” either!

+3 cos it’s redundant.

Huh, really? :bigsmile: I’m genuinely surprised, but then again I tend to speak English rather strangely even though I’m a native speaker. So anybody else supporting a motion to remove the word “with”?

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 7095
Location: The Light

At least preliminarily, it’s looking like the SkyRay King will be among the three winners. If it is, what do you think about using the black color version instead? I personally don’t like the yellow/gold color of the standard version at all.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

That Ninja Guy
That Ninja Guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/17/2012 - 16:39
Posts: 607
Location: America's High Five, USA, Earth

Black SRK all the way.
It would be nice to have something grey or blue(E03) also.

M3TAL_L0RD
M3TAL_L0RD's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2011 - 18:21
Posts: 924
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele

sb56637 wrote:
At least preliminarily, it's looking like the SkyRay King will be among the three winners. If it is, what do you think about using the "black color":http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1708 version instead? I personally don't like the yellow/gold color of the standard version at all.

I have and like both Smile

Pulsar13
Pulsar13's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 20 hours ago
Joined: 02/05/2012 - 10:23
Posts: 1909
Location: Malaysia

The fact that you requested a budget 2×18650 and AA format, plus budget, makes it all to easy.

ZY-T13
SK68

and finally, of course, the SR King. I don’t mind any preference of color, though if we want to keep it original, it would be the gold one.

And that’s 1 AA super-budget-all-purpose zoomer, 1 2×8650-series pure-thrower, and one 4×18650-parallel flooder. All budget.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8864
Location: Eastern PA

Pulsar13 wrote:
...and finally, of course, the SR King. I don't mind any preference of color, though if we want to keep it original, it would be the gold one.
I agree, the black is nice, but the King is gold since conception and should be shown that way.  It is a classic and that is the color of the classic SRK, hate it or love it.  It is also the color that most of us have.
ruffles
ruffles's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 10:18
Posts: 1020
Location: California

2 add-on votes: black SRK, remove “with” (ref post #83)


 

mrmatt
mrmatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 11:29
Posts: 176
Location: Kentucky, USA

RaceR86 wrote:

Why I prefer P60s…


+1, the main reason I’m into flashlights is that I like to build stuff, so what’s cooler than finding all the parts and assembling them to make myself a light that does/feels/looks what I want. Feel and performance of a higher end light (but without the price) that I can always update to the latest emitter/driver. L2P isn’t my favorite design but I think it sums up the budget P60 the best, not the cheapest out there but it’s universally recognized as durable, utilitarian, and inexpensive.

sb56637 wrote:

Huh, really? :bigsmile: I’m genuinely surprised, but then again I tend to speak English rather strangely even though I’m a native speaker. So anybody else supporting a motion to remove the word “with”?

I don’t think it’s redundant, but I guess I don’t have a strong opinion on this one, sounds the same either way to me
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10793
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

sb56637 wrote:
At least preliminarily, it’s looking like the SkyRay King will be among the three winners. If it is, what do you think about using the black color version instead?

JohnnyMac wrote:
I agree, the black is nice, but the King is gold since conception and should be shown that way. It is a classic and that is the color of the classic SRK, hate it or love it. It is also the color that most of us have.

I’d definitely go for the gold. It’s iconic. It also happens to be my personal preference for this torch, but mostly I just think it’s more iconic and recognizable that way.

About the ‘with’… I don’t think I’d miss it. It doesn’t bother me though.

RaceR86 wrote:
Why I prefer P60s…

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I’ve been trying to avoid modding, so that probably makes it totally clear why I’m more interested in a full package rather than a lego system. However, modding is an awfully big part of this community and culture…

My only mods so far are so trivial they can’t really even be called mods… like replacing a headband with a shoelace+velcro for necklace use, or diffusing a beam with translucent tape. Adding a clip. Hopefully, soon, turning a zoomie into a Bat signal. Replacing a broken clicky switch. Nothing involving soldering or drivers or de-doming or a machine shop, though drop-ins are definitely on the easy end of the spectrum.

Pages