Coleman Axis Headlamp

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118
Coleman Axis Headlamp

Coleman appears to have some good budget headlamps:

 

I've noticed the Coleman Axis at a local store (Canadian Tire) for $14.99.

It runs on 3 AAA batteries,  3 x 5mm LED lights

24-lumen light output on high;12 lumens on low

26 M beam distance on high; 16 M on low

15-hour runtime on high; 35-hour runtime on low

- available in grey, red, green, or black

- some reviewers on the Coleman site are critical of how hard it is to get the batteries out, but the opening tool is built into the headstrap. 

 

___________________________

Also, for $5 more there's a new improved XR-C version 

1 LED Cree Xr-C, 3AAA, 3 mode :

75 lumens output on high, 43 lumens medium, 15 lumens low

11 hours high; 20 hours medium; 55 hours on low

43 M beam high; 31 M medium; 10 M low•

Available in black, pearl, red and lime green

Edited by: dimeotane on 05/15/2011 - 18:48
dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

In trying to compare the performance of these headlamps that are in a similar price range I ended up putting together this chart.

 
                     $   wt   mode  lumen       hrs burn      m range  battery
Princeton Tec Byte   20  64g  3     30          40/100/360    25/15/10 2AAA
Black Diamond Gizmo  20  79g  3     24/?/4      20/?/100      25/?/5   2AAA
Petzl Tikkina 2      19  80g  2     23/10       55/190        23/13    3AAA
Coleman Axis         15  ?    2     33/13       25/66         26/16    3AAA
Coleman Axis HP      20  ?    3     75/43/15    11/20/55      43/31/10 3AAA
 

The brightest of the bunch is the Coleman.

What's the more efficient light, with more light for longer run time? Is there any way to compare these lights for efficiency? Can they be ranked in terms of "lumens-hours"?

Petzl Tikkina 2: high 20lm x 55hr = 1100 lm-hrs,  low: 10lm x 190 hr = 1900 lm-hrs

Coleman HP: med 43lm x 20hr = 860 lm-hrs,  low: 15 lm x 55 hr = 825 lm-hrs

Black Diamond Gizmo high: 24 lm x 20 hrs = 480 lm-hrs

Princeton Tec Byte: high: 30lm x 40 hrs = 1200 lm-hrs

     - I'm skeptical that this light with only 2AA's can produce more light for longer.

The problem with this comparison is when reporting the run times, the lights are likely dimming and not outputting the max rated lumens. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?  

dorpmuller
dorpmuller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/20/2010 - 18:29
Posts: 1054
Location: Central Pa., U.S.A.

One lethal screwup: Why, oh why, do they insist on AAA's? They suck, period.

"I am the flashlight king! I can light anything!"

jekostas
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 1 week ago
Joined: 11/30/2010 - 03:09
Posts: 576
Location: Surrey

There's a version of the Coleman that has a Cree XR-C as well.  $20, but it often goes on sale.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/CampingAccessories/PRD~0762785P/Coleman%252BXlamp%252BXR-C%252BHeadlamp.jsp?locale=en

gcbryan
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 05/07/2010 - 20:42
Posts: 2567
Location: Seattle,WA

dorpmuller wrote:

One lethal screwup: Why, oh why, do they insist on AAA's? They suck, period.

I used to feel that way (and still do to a degree) but there are a couple of positive aspects. They generally result in a light that is flatter (closer to the head) than would be the case with AA's. Three AAA's weigh less than 2 AA's and if the light is being used with alkaline batteries at least on high there will be sag. With 3 batteries that load is shared and the resulting sag is less.

On the other hand, 4 AAA batteries cost as much as 4 AA batteries but 4 AA batteries have twice the capacity of 4 AAA batteries. When using expensive lithium batteries it's even more of a factor.

I do think with a good design 2 AA's can be utilized in a small headlamp and using lithium would reduce the weight (but not the size).

I now see both sides of the issue rather than only one side I guess.

gcbryan
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 05/07/2010 - 20:42
Posts: 2567
Location: Seattle,WA

dimeotane wrote:

In trying to compare the performance of these headlamps that are in a similar price range I ended up putting together this chart.

 
                     $   wt   mode  lumen       hrs burn      m range  battery
Princeton Tec Byte   20  64g  3     30          40/100/360    25/15/10 2AAA
Black Diamond Gizmo  20  79g  3     24/?/4      20/?/100      25/?/5   2AAA
Petzl Tikkina 2      19  80g  2     23/10       55/190        23/13    3AAA
Coleman Axis         15  ?    2     33/13       25/66         26/16    3AAA
Coleman Axis HP      20  ?    3     75/43/15    11/20/55      43/31/10 3AAA
 

The brightest of the bunch is the Coleman.

What's the more efficient light, with more light for longer run time? Is there any way to compare these lights for efficiency? Can they be ranked in terms of "lumens-hours"?

Petzl Tikkina 2: high 20lm x 55hr = 1100 lm-hrs,  low: 10lm x 190 hr = 1900 lm-hrs

Coleman HP: med 43lm x 20hr = 860 lm-hrs,  low: 15 lm x 55 hr = 825 lm-hrs

Black Diamond Gizmo high: 24 lm x 20 hrs = 480 lm-hrs

Princeton Tec Byte: high: 30lm x 40 hrs = 1200 lm-hrs

     - I'm skeptical that this light with only 2AA's can produce more light for longer.

The problem with this comparison is when reporting the run times, the lights are likely dimming and not outputting the max rated lumens. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?  

They are definitely not outputting the max rated lumens. The standard test is to turn the light on in whatever mode is being advertised (max, min or whatever) and letting it run until it gets down to .25 lux at 2 meters. That's considered to be the equivalent of moonlight (lower than that is not considered to be useful).

This doesn't really tell anyone anything however. Some lights are regulated, some are regulated for a short while and then fall out of regulation, and some are unregulated. It's hard to compare lights under those circumstances.

If you can figure out what emitters each light is using you can just compare the figures from the spec sheets for those emitter and get a rough feeling for efficiency.

The run times are more meaningful in my opinion if you typically use a light on low. If you are using it anywhere near high then those run times are meaningless. You're not going to get more than a few hours from any of them on high anyway.

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 1 month ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

gcbryan wrote:

dorpmuller wrote:

One lethal screwup: Why, oh why, do they insist on AAA's? They suck, period.

I used to feel that way (and still do to a degree) but there are a couple of positive aspects. They generally result in a light that is flatter (closer to the head) than would be the case with AA's. Three AAA's weigh less than 2 AA's and if the light is being used with alkaline batteries at least on high there will be sag. With 3 batteries that load is shared and the resulting sag is less.

On the other hand, 4 AAA batteries cost as much as 4 AA batteries but 4 AA batteries have twice the capacity of 4 AAA batteries. When using expensive lithium batteries it's even more of a factor.

I do think with a good design 2 AA's can be utilized in a small headlamp and using lithium would reduce the weight (but not the size).

I now see both sides of the issue rather than only one side I guess.

 

3 times. AAA's a really crappy deal unless size is REALLY important.

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

dimeotane
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/2011 - 16:56
Posts: 118

The Coleman axis are on sale 30% off.

$10.49 for the regular

$13.99 for the XRC Xlamp