Notice - Buying Li-ion cells from FastTech; SGP temporarily unavailable

106 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Chloe
Chloe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2013 - 14:14
Posts: 4595
Location: 联合王国
Notice - Buying Li-ion cells from FastTech; SGP temporarily unavailable

Jasmine posted this notice about buying cells (updated 17 October):

http://www.fasttech.com/forums/stickies/t/1056805/please-read-this-if-you-re-planning-to-purchase-e

Quote:
Please Read This If You're Planning to purchase E-liquids/Lithium Batteries (Singapore Post is No Longer Able to Ship Batteries/Knives) **Updated on 10/10/2013**


Singapore Post has been temporarily removed due to their contradictory information regarding banned substances. For more information, please see here

Given current strict inspection of the aviation security, packages containing e-liquids/lithium batteries barely unable to ship via airmails anymore, but according to the tracking information of the packages which were containing batteries, we do see many recent deliveries.

In order to receive your package smoothly, please make sure to purchase e-liquids/lithium batteries in an individual order if you still want to give it a try. Please DON'T select Singapore Post because we've confirmed Singapore Post will refuse all packages that containing lithium batteries/Knives. If you've chosen SGP shipment, the order might get swapped to HKP automatically. Refund will be issued as soon as the package is failed to pass through Hong Kong Post and returned.

Refund will be issued as soon as the package is returned.

There is an exception to purchase the e-liquids/lithium batteries together with other products: the batteries in the order can be inserted into the product. Ex. Customer purchase a flashlight using 2*18650 batteries, and also purchase 2*18650 batteries, we will insert the batteries with insulation pads into the flashlight. This can ensure the package get ship out smoothly.

We'll look into specialized and proper shipping services and will update in this thread if there is any further process.

We will also put a warning on e-liquids/lithium batteries product page within today.

Thank you.

 

Update: Geek posted this sticky today about Singapore Post:

http://www.fasttech.com/forums/stickies/t/1059742/singapore-post-is-temporarily-unavailable

Quote:
Singapore Post is temporarily unavailable

Dear valued customers,

Singapore Post had proven to be a reliable carrier for many months and FastTech was pleased to be able to offer it as an option to all customers.

Unfortunately, they have caused FastTech a lot of grief in the recent week -- mostly due to the way their management works, as exposed by the recent postal union's battery "crackdown". Without going into lengthy details, Singapore Post's management has told FastTech that products with built-in batteries can be shipped but their frontline staffs often reject these packages claiming it's an order from the management, causing unnecessary delays to packages.

Hong Kong Post, on the other hand, has almost returned to normal operations.

For the interest of customers, FastTech is temporarily taking the Singapore Post shipping offline until a clearer policy and more professional practice is received from them.

If your order is pending to be shipped via Singapore Post, it will either continue to ship via Singapore Post, or it will be re-routed to Hong Kong Post. Again, Hong Kong Post's service performance is improving everyday and is almost back to the pre-crackdown state.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We will continue communicating with Singapore Post and we will restore this shipping option as soon as their current issues are resolved.

Thank you.

FastTech Team

Edited by: Chloe on 10/20/2013 - 17:53
Chloe
Chloe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2013 - 14:14
Posts: 4595
Location: 联合王国

ryansoh3
ryansoh3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/04/2012 - 08:21
Posts: 3890
Location: US

Thanks for sharing!

I wish Jasmine would be more active around here. :~

BLF ≠ B-grade Flashlight Forum

 

Chloe
Chloe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2013 - 14:14
Posts: 4595
Location: 联合王国

I wish too but she must be so busy with the new staff. :~

eebowler
eebowler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/13/2012 - 11:34
Posts: 1832
Location: Trinidad and Tobago GMT -4

Thanks Chloe for paying attention to what’s going on and all the updates Smile

My gratitude to those who are willing and able to help others (in whatever way you can)! Being human is more than just existing for yourself. Smile

ryansoh3
ryansoh3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/04/2012 - 08:21
Posts: 3890
Location: US

Just saw the first comment, Silly

Hope the new staff training goes well.

BLF ≠ B-grade Flashlight Forum

 

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Thank you so much Chloe, for keeping us informed! Smile

keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

I noticed that the USPS office here has a notice saying that bare li-ion cells can't be shipped internationally, but cells installed in devices CAN be shipped. (stupid? yes....) So this sounds like a workaround. Take the bare cells, place them in a sealed tube so that any 'venting' will be accompanied via a significant explosion, with shrapnel...

So, what's the cheapest 2x 18650 host on Fasttech?

Here's the 501d for $16.04:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002031/1145704-ultrafire-wf-501d-warm-white-xenon-flashlight-w-st

How about a box? These can be closed with cells installed and are inexpensive...

2x18650 - $2.84 https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003498/1258801-218650-battery-holder-case-box

4x18650 - $4.07 https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003990/1286603-diy-234-x-18650-batteries-holder-case-box-mobile-p

 


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

Love that! First it was Meth Labs, now it will be Li-ion Labs. No more buying Li-ions, or we will be put under police watch and Homeland Security will come to our doors with automatic weapons! Mandatory 20 year sentence for having more than six Li-ions in your home! Possession with intent to distribute...Tongue Out

I'm gonna go back to doing NiMH lights.Frown

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

mfm
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2011 - 15:55
Posts: 467
Location: Europe
keltex78 wrote:
Take the bare cells, place them in a sealed tube so that any ‘venting’ will be accompanied via a significant explosion, with shrapnel…

Cells doesn’t spontaneously vent. A flastlight would prevent from outside damage (of course it must be protected from short circuit or activation).

keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

mfm wrote:
keltex78 wrote:
Take the bare cells, place them in a sealed tube so that any 'venting' will be accompanied via a significant explosion, with shrapnel...
Cells doesn't spontaneously vent. A flastlight would prevent from outside damage (of course it must be protected from short circuit or activation).

...um... That was supposed to be sarcastic humor. If spontaneous venting isn't what we are scared of, then what's the problem? Wink


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

eebowler
eebowler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/13/2012 - 11:34
Posts: 1832
Location: Trinidad and Tobago GMT -4

I’d guess selling cells installed in flashllights is to prevent detectio
n and not for the sake of safety…

My gratitude to those who are willing and able to help others (in whatever way you can)! Being human is more than just existing for yourself. Smile

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA
eebowler wrote:
I’d guess selling cells installed in flashllights is to prevent detectio n and not for the sake of safety…

Somewhere in one of these shipping threads is a post office quote stating that the batteries enclosed in a device (flashlight or otherwise) is fine, but by themselves is not allowed.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

I’ve got a ticket in, asking if this http://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10003913/1280800-4×18650-emergenc... + 4-18650s might make it through.

koyotee
koyotee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 11/22/2012 - 11:12
Posts: 1684
Location: Slovenia

This is no problem, so just order Smile

Finaly, proud owner of a Powerex Maha mh c-9000 for my Eneloops:)

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA

Do we have to somehow tell them to install the batteries into the light, or will they do that automatically?

koyotee
koyotee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 11/22/2012 - 11:12
Posts: 1684
Location: Slovenia
Quote:
There is an exception to purchase the e-liquids/lithium batteries together with other products: the batteries in the order can be inserted into the product. Ex. Customer purchase a flashlight using 2*18650 batteries, and also purchase 2*18650 batteries, we will insert the batteries with insulation pads into the flashlight. This can ensure the package get ship out smoothly.

did you read or just stu***?

Finaly, proud owner of a Powerex Maha mh c-9000 for my Eneloops:)

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA
koyotee wrote:
Quote:
There is an exception to purchase the e-liquids/lithium batteries together with other products: the batteries in the order can be inserted into the product. Ex. Customer purchase a flashlight using 2*18650 batteries, and also purchase 2*18650 batteries, we will insert the batteries with insulation pads into the flashlight. This can ensure the package get ship out smoothly.

did you read or just stu***?

Well I read “can” implied to me that it’s an option. It could just be language barrier though and they meant “will” though that could be misconstrued as well.. Perhaps I’m reading into it too much.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA
unknown00101 wrote:
koyotee wrote:
Quote:
There is an exception to purchase the e-liquids/lithium batteries together with other products: the batteries in the order can be inserted into the product. Ex. Customer purchase a flashlight using 2*18650 batteries, and also purchase 2*18650 batteries, we will insert the batteries with insulation pads into the flashlight. This can ensure the package get ship out smoothly.

did you read or just stu***?

Well I read “can” implied to me that it’s an option. It could just be language barrier though and they meant “will” though that could be misconstrued as well.. Perhaps I’m reading into it too much.


Me thinks koyotee is just being a d***.
RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

I read through the typically vague USPS regulations this morning. It appears that as long as the batteries are installed in a device which is protected from turning on/short circuiting in transit, then you are within the rules.

FT would be technically be in compliance by inserting the batteries into devices with insulation disks, like they are proposing doing.

The problem is, as with so many of these agencies, that they subjectively choose when and how to enforce the regulations with little to no oversight.

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Chloe
Chloe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2013 - 14:14
Posts: 4595
Location: 联合王国

This is the problem, RMM. ;_; I am hoping there will be clearer rules set forth regarding safe packaging, training staff on handling procedures, instead of blanket banning.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

I just placed an order for the above mentioned “ 4×18650 Emergency Mobile Power Rechargeable Batteries Pack Charging Box + 4- LG D1 18650s and told them to put the batteries in the box. We’ll see what happens….the things I do for BLF….oy. Wink

I’m looking at it like – 4xD1’s for $24.15….and it comes with a free charger!!

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9599
Location: Berkeley, California

Here’s what the aviation industry is concerned about, for reference:
http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/systems/May13Meeting/Hill-0513-Passive_Pr...

As you can see they’d been working hard (well, until the government funding lapsed) to get a clear description of safe ways to package large boxes full of Li-ion cells.
Unfortunately for all concerned, most of the fires on aircraft didn’t leave much evidence behind, so what’s here are experiments trying to assess the problem.

One of those pictured sloppily packaged boxes — half full of loose cells knocking around with the cardboard dividers falling apart — would be pretty scary.

No, it’s not you or me they’re after, but in the cargo hold at 33,000 feet, all of the packages look the same.

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1876
keltex78 wrote:

mfm wrote:
keltex78 wrote:
Take the bare cells, place them in a sealed tube so that any ‘venting’ will be accompanied via a significant explosion, with shrapnel…
Cells doesn’t spontaneously vent. A flastlight would prevent from outside damage (of course it must be protected from short circuit or activation).

…um… That was supposed to be sarcastic humor. If spontaneous venting isn’t what we are scared of, then what’s the problem? Wink

They don’t spontaneously vent. But they also dont necessarily vent when directly targeted and damaged by large crushing forces. It seems more likely that a cell is over discharged and vents than has deliberate damage done to it.

So my observation has been; isn’t the probability that someone will load a device which can accidentally be turned on/overdischarged and vent (or cause a fire by a massively hot multi-LED light in an enclosed space with paper) much more likely than someone gets a sledge hammer or ice pick and randomly smashes mail hitting the batteries or runs over the package with a Hummer?

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1876

hank wrote:
Here’s what the aviation industry is concerned about, for reference:
http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/systems/May13Meeting/Hill-0513-Passive_Pr...

As you can see they’d been working hard (well, until the government funding lapsed) to get a clear description of safe ways to package large boxes full of Li-ion cells.
Unfortunately for all concerned, most of the fires on aircraft didn’t leave much evidence behind, so what’s here are experiments trying to assess the problem.

One of those pictured sloppily packaged boxes — half full of loose cells knocking around with the cardboard dividers falling apart — would be pretty scary.

No, it’s not you or me they’re after, but in the cargo hold at 33,000 feet, all of the packages look the same.

Ah, tks for posting that, thats where this is coming from I guess. Interesting, they do seem to be saying they think an explosion is preferable to just venting/fire too. That does seem to follow that enclosed in a flashlight is preferable to them and may stop a fire from spreading.

Toaster79
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/04/2012 - 17:14
Posts: 161
Location: Maribor, Slovenia
tallboybass wrote:
unknown00101 wrote:
koyotee wrote:
Quote:
There is an exception to purchase the e-liquids/lithium batteries together with other products: the batteries in the order can be inserted into the product. Ex. Customer purchase a flashlight using 2*18650 batteries, and also purchase 2*18650 batteries,_ we will insert the batteries with insulation pads into the flashlight. This can ensure the package get ship out smoothly._

did you read or just stu***?

Well I read “can” implied to me that it’s an option. It could just be language barrier though and they meant “will” though that could be misconstrued as well.. Perhaps I’m reading into it too much.


Me thinks koyotee is just being a d***.

Are you both stu*** and d****?

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA
Shocked Silly Oops Big Smile 0:)
18sixfifty
18sixfifty's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/25/2012 - 20:19
Posts: 4161
Old-Lumens wrote:

Love that! First it was Meth Labs, now it will be Li-ion Labs. No more buying Li-ions, or we will be put under police watch and Homeland Security will come to our doors with automatic weapons! Mandatory 20 year sentence for having more than six Li-ions in your home! Possession with intent to distribute…Tongue Out

I’m gonna go back to doing NiMH lights.Frown

I had to register with homeland insecurity for buying 500 battery boxes and chargers and a thousand 14500 batteries for e-cig mods. They got stopped at customs and I had to fill out the Homeland insecurity paperwork before they would release them. It was about ten pages of gobbledy gook and took about two weeks. I think Fed Ex might have actually tipped them off. That was who I got the first round of paperwork from anyway. I still had a security clearance active from when I was in S2 which is battalion level (infantry) Army Intelligence. I honestly don’t know if that helped or hurt? Davie

I’m a junky, I mod lights so I can sell lights so I can buy more light to mod so I can sell lights to buy more lights to mod.

Chloe
Chloe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2013 - 14:14
Posts: 4595
Location: 联合王国

I am surprised you don’t get onto a list for buying high capacity Ni-MH packs after the Boston bombings. Or maybe you do… :ghost:

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Woowee, my order that got halted in its tracks contained…lithium batteries, a laser, [gulp] a digital pocket scale…it’s a wonder “homeland insecurity” hasn’t come after me!! Shocked

BT-UK
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 12 months ago
Joined: 09/06/2013 - 08:50
Posts: 78
Location: England
B42 wrote:
keltex78 wrote:

mfm wrote:
keltex78 wrote:
Take the bare cells, place them in a sealed tube so that any ‘venting’ will be accompanied via a significant explosion, with shrapnel…
Cells doesn’t spontaneously vent. A flastlight would prevent from outside damage (of course it must be protected from short circuit or activation).

…um… That was supposed to be sarcastic humor. If spontaneous venting isn’t what we are scared of, then what’s the problem? Wink

They don’t spontaneously vent. But they also dont necessarily vent when directly targeted and damaged by large crushing forces. It seems more likely that a cell is over discharged and vents than has deliberate damage done to it.

So my observation has been; isn’t the probability that someone will load a device which can accidentally be turned on/overdischarged and vent (or cause a fire by a massively hot multi-LED light in an enclosed space with paper) much more likely than someone gets a sledge hammer or ice pick and randomly smashes mail hitting the batteries or runs over the package with a Hummer?

That’s a point. Cells nicely inserted in a powerful torch. Handling staff lobbing around the packages and manage to switch on the torch/knock out insulation pads? :~

Pages