1xCR123 flashlight with magnetic selector ring

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
phlowcus
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 06/08/2010 - 07:28
Posts: 422

Budgeteer, so does yours light up with low mode selected? Does it have 6 selectable ring positions, too?

Budgeteer
Budgeteer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/24/2010 - 02:19
Posts: 3087
Location: Slovenia (EU)

phlowcus wrote:

Budgeteer, so does yours light up with low mode selected? Does it have 6 selectable ring positions, too?

Double yes. Smile

Actually it did when the battery was 4,19V but after some use it does not start in low... :/

kragmutt wrote:

They're gonna send you a green redcat with a black LED.

Aleister
Aleister's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/23/2010 - 15:27
Posts: 726
Location: Greece

Got a 18650 one! Thanks for sharing!

Let a flooder be my wife and a thrower be my mistress

tbenedict
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 02/16/2011 - 14:20
Posts: 380
Location: TN

How low is the low and is the spacing decent?  Wonder why in the world they put a reverse clicky in it.

Tido
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2010 - 15:28
Posts: 189
Location: Berlin, Germany

I received one of each (16350 and 18650) today. Being the hopeless nerd I am, the first thing I did was to take the pill apart to see what makes this thing tick. From a first glance, it seems to be direct drive, with brightness controlled by PWM via a FET (the B772 thingy). More interesting, judging by the pin-out, the MCU seems to be a PIC 12f..., which means, it could be reprogrammed (cue manic laughter). 

As you can see from the picture, the driver PCB is quite large, larger than the 4x7135 driver I put next to it for comparison. The pill is quite deep, so there should be enough space to stuff in two of these babies, which could be controlled by bypassing the FET...

I think you all get where I'm going with this. Replace the Q5 with a well-driven XM-L, reprogram the MCU  and you've got an insanely bright light with a kick-ass UI.

disassembled pill

 

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

Tido wrote:

I received one of each (16350 and 18650) today. Being the hopeless nerd I am, the first thing I did was to take the pill apart to see what makes this thing tick. From a first glance, it seems to be direct drive, with brightness controlled by PWM via a FET (the B772 thingy). More interesting, judging by the pin-out, the MCU seems to be a PIC 12f..., which means, it could be reprogrammed (cue manic laughter). 

As you can see from the picture, the driver PCB is quite large, larger than the 4x7135 driver I put next to it for comparison. The pill is quite deep, so there should be enough space to stuff in two of these babies, which could be controlled by bypassing the FET...

I think you all get where I'm going with this. Replace the Q5 with a well-driven XM-L, reprogram the MCU  and you've got an insanely bright light with a kick-ass UI.

disassembled pill

 

Thank you so much Tido for the pictures of the guts, I guess I better order one. Will a 16mm emitter fit or do I need to order another 14?

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

Tido
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2010 - 15:28
Posts: 189
Location: Berlin, Germany

E1320 wrote:

 Will a 16mm emitter fit or do I need to order another 14?

The emitter is mounted on a standard 16mm round aluminium disc (which, BTW, could use some thermal grease under it).

Budgeteer
Budgeteer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/24/2010 - 02:19
Posts: 3087
Location: Slovenia (EU)

Indeed, the emitter is just put on the pill. I'll glue it today sonce i'm not gonna go the xm-l way on this one.

kragmutt wrote:

They're gonna send you a green redcat with a black LED.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 8008
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Tido wrote:

I received one of each (16350 and 18650) today. Being the hopeless nerd I am, the first thing I did was to take the pill apart to see what makes this thing tick. From a first glance, it seems to be direct drive, with brightness controlled by PWM via a FET (the B772 thingy). More interesting, judging by the pin-out, the MCU seems to be a PIC 12f..., which means, it could be reprogrammed (cue manic laughter). 

As you can see from the picture, the driver PCB is quite large, larger than the 4x7135 driver I put next to it for comparison. The pill is quite deep, so there should be enough space to stuff in two of these babies, which could be controlled by bypassing the FET...

I think you all get where I'm going with this. Replace the Q5 with a well-driven XM-L, reprogram the MCU  and you've got an insanely bright light with a kick-ass UI.

disassembled pill

 

 I'm excited ...i'm going to re-program my MCU ..when I get the stuff to do it with .. I just ordered my programmer it's in the mail . whoo hoo i love ebay

                 υμεις εστε το φως του κοσμου ου δυναται πολις κρυβηναι επανω ορους κειμενη

                            Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

sontakke
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/18/2010 - 20:43
Posts: 209

I ordered it on 5/28 from byincoin and still no sign of it here in NE USA

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 1 month ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

I already ordered a bit back, but I take it from the lack of moral outrage that this is indeed a hall effect switch?

I mean, coming from some podunk shop in china it wouldn't have been surprising it's some kind of variable resistor instead inside.

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA
I got mine today, well, 3 of the 4 I ordered. The single order has not arrived yet. It does indeed have real hall effect control and they are surprisingly well built. Both sizes feel good in the hand and work very well. Threads are clean and anodizing looks even except for the head being a different shade than the body. The head is very thick walled. All three emitters are a different tint with one being greenish, another purpleish and the 3rd cool white. The reflectors are smooth and very deep making for a small hotspot and pretty good throw. I am very impressed compared to what I was expecting. Now I just have to figure out how to take one apart to upgrade it to XM-L.
Vectrex
Vectrex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/01/2010 - 15:39
Posts: 2778
Location: Gemany (according to my Black Cat)

Could someone do some amp-readings for the modes? Thanks.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 8008
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

6 modes of light would be nicer .. the off obviously at the tail , make it start in low low mode and fix the pwm ..o yeah a neutral xpg or a xml too.

                 υμεις εστε το φως του κοσμου ου δυναται πολις κρυβηναι επανω ορους κειμενη

                            Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

phlowcus
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 06/08/2010 - 07:28
Posts: 422

Vectrex, just in case you missed that, you can find current measurements in my mini review of the 18650 version.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 8008
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

.10  /.50  / 1.00 18650  4.19v.

Pain in the tailcap to do because it doesn't fire up in low  so you have to hold it and twist it from high /med/ low all in one move

                 υμεις εστε το φως του κοσμου ου δυναται πολις κρυβηναι επανω ορους κειμενη

                            Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Vectrex
Vectrex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/01/2010 - 15:39
Posts: 2778
Location: Gemany (according to my Black Cat)

Thanks a ton. You guys keep posting so much stuff, hard to keep track. Not that I am complaining. :bigsmile:

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA

Budgeteer wrote:

I got mine, the cr123 version and i quite like it. Note of caution do not take it apart in hand otherwise youll end up searching for hours for the tiny magnet and the steel ball inder the selector.

Decently bright. It is a single mode multimode light. Can act both ways. Unfortunately a forward clicky was not present.

Hey, Budgeteer, how did you get your selector ring off? One of my CR123 models seems to be off with mode selection. When it clicks into place the light goes out. While rotating it goes into the next mode in between detents then out again when it clicks into place.  The whole thing is out of whack and it's weird because it worked fine at first then it went screwy.

They are offering me a $10 refund and allowing me to keep the light but I'm not sure I want to do this if I can't fix it. I suppose I could use it for parts or just keep the tube and swap tubes with the one working head, SolarForce style to use either 16340 or 18650 batteries. Any ideas on how to adjust the mode detents?

sontakke
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/18/2010 - 20:43
Posts: 209

I got the 18650 one.  It is a pretty big light.  It will not turn on in the low mode if stated from the tail cap switch.  I also expected it to be brighter.  Oh well, I wish I had shown some restraint and resisted ordering it.

Budgeteer
Budgeteer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/24/2010 - 02:19
Posts: 3087
Location: Slovenia (EU)

JohnnyMac wrote:

Budgeteer wrote:

I got mine, the cr123 version and i quite like it. Note of caution do not take it apart in hand otherwise youll end up searching for hours for the tiny magnet and the steel ball inder the selector.

Decently bright. It is a single mode multimode light. Can act both ways. Unfortunately a forward clicky was not present.

Hey, Budgeteer, how did you get your selector ring off? One of my CR123 models seems to be off with mode selection. When it clicks into place the light goes out. While rotating it goes into the next mode in between detents then out again when it clicks into place.  The whole thing is out of whack and it's weird because it worked fine at first then it went screwy.

They are offering me a $10 refund and allowing me to keep the light but I'm not sure I want to do this if I can't fix it. I suppose I could use it for parts or just keep the tube and swap tubes with the one working head, SolarForce style to use either 16340 or 18650 batteries. Any ideas on how to adjust the mode detents?

Well the way magnetic switches work you might want to fiddle with the pill a bit... tightening or loosing by a tiny bit untill modes works as it should. Had to "recalibrate mine" after taking it apart.

kragmutt wrote:

They're gonna send you a green redcat with a black LED.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA

Makes good sense. I should have thought of that myself (duh!) Smile I will take the $10 refund and keep the light. I still would like to know how you managed to get the ring off of the body. I figure it has to unscrew somehow but short of using a vise and a pipe wrench mine acts like one piece.

Budgeteer wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

Budgeteer wrote:

I got mine, the cr123 version and i quite like it. Note of caution do not take it apart in hand otherwise youll end up searching for hours for the tiny magnet and the steel ball inder the selector.

Decently bright. It is a single mode multimode light. Can act both ways. Unfortunately a forward clicky was not present.

Hey, Budgeteer, how did you get your selector ring off? One of my CR123 models seems to be off with mode selection. When it clicks into place the light goes out. While rotating it goes into the next mode in between detents then out again when it clicks into place.  The whole thing is out of whack and it's weird because it worked fine at first then it went screwy.

They are offering me a $10 refund and allowing me to keep the light but I'm not sure I want to do this if I can't fix it. I suppose I could use it for parts or just keep the tube and swap tubes with the one working head, SolarForce style to use either 16340 or 18650 batteries. Any ideas on how to adjust the mode detents?

Well the way magnetic switches work you might want to fiddle with the pill a bit... tightening or loosing by a tiny bit untill modes works as it should. Had to "recalibrate mine" after taking it apart.

sontakke
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/18/2010 - 20:43
Posts: 209

I measured the off-current and it shows 30 microamp on both Micro and Milli scale on ammeter which I do trust.  Somebody said they got 5 milliamp but I think they made an error in measurement. The anodizing is flaw less and if it is only HA-II, it is the best one I have seen so far.  The output on high is no more than 50% more than on medium but it sucks up twice the power.  The magnetic switch goes as

OFF->HIGH->MED->LOW->BLINK->SOS->OFF

It would be a great light for gifting provided you are willing to gift the battery and charger.  My experience with non-flashaholics is that they are impressed more with the throw than the spill and this has pretty good throw.

Now if this can be upgraded to XM-L with a better driver, it would be a killer light.  This has great potential.

Budgeteer
Budgeteer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/24/2010 - 02:19
Posts: 3087
Location: Slovenia (EU)

JohnnyMac wrote:

Makes good sense. I should have thought of that myself (duh!) Smile I will take the $10 refund and keep the light. I still would like to know how you managed to get the ring off of the body. I figure it has to unscrew somehow but short of using a vise and a pipe wrench mine acts like one piece.

Budgeteer wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

Budgeteer wrote:

I got mine, the cr123 version and i quite like it. Note of caution do not take it apart in hand otherwise youll end up searching for hours for the tiny magnet and the steel ball inder the selector.

Decently bright. It is a single mode multimode light. Can act both ways. Unfortunately a forward clicky was not present.

Hey, Budgeteer, how did you get your selector ring off? One of my CR123 models seems to be off with mode selection. When it clicks into place the light goes out. While rotating it goes into the next mode in between detents then out again when it clicks into place.  The whole thing is out of whack and it's weird because it worked fine at first then it went screwy.

They are offering me a $10 refund and allowing me to keep the light but I'm not sure I want to do this if I can't fix it. I suppose I could use it for parts or just keep the tube and swap tubes with the one working head, SolarForce style to use either 16340 or 18650 batteries. Any ideas on how to adjust the mode detents?

Well the way magnetic switches work you might want to fiddle with the pill a bit... tightening or loosing by a tiny bit untill modes works as it should. Had to "recalibrate mine" after taking it apart.

Nay, the bottom cover/ring unscrews kind of easily. Then the selector ring fall off. Be sure to do it on the table because finding the steel ball bearing and the magnet proved to be next to impossible and had to improvise them. Nice that i had some neodimium magnets at hand which are rahtere easy to break in desired shape with pliers.

kragmutt wrote:

They're gonna send you a green redcat with a black LED.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA
I managed to get a good grip and that ring came right off. Now it opens and closes easily. I slid the run back just enough to see that ball bearing you mentioned. It IS tiny! I saw enough and put it back on. Light is adjusted and now works like the others. Thanks!

Budgeteer wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

Makes good sense. I should have thought of that myself (duh!) Smile I will take the $10 refund and keep the light. I still would like to know how you managed to get the ring off of the body. I figure it has to unscrew somehow but short of using a vise and a pipe wrench mine acts like one piece.

Budgeteer wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

Budgeteer wrote:

I got mine, the cr123 version and i quite like it. Note of caution do not take it apart in hand otherwise youll end up searching for hours for the tiny magnet and the steel ball inder the selector.

Decently bright. It is a single mode multimode light. Can act both ways. Unfortunately a forward clicky was not present.

Hey, Budgeteer, how did you get your selector ring off? One of my CR123 models seems to be off with mode selection. When it clicks into place the light goes out. While rotating it goes into the next mode in between detents then out again when it clicks into place.  The whole thing is out of whack and it's weird because it worked fine at first then it went screwy.

They are offering me a $10 refund and allowing me to keep the light but I'm not sure I want to do this if I can't fix it. I suppose I could use it for parts or just keep the tube and swap tubes with the one working head, SolarForce style to use either 16340 or 18650 batteries. Any ideas on how to adjust the mode detents?

Well the way magnetic switches work you might want to fiddle with the pill a bit... tightening or loosing by a tiny bit untill modes works as it should. Had to "recalibrate mine" after taking it apart.

Nay, the bottom cover/ring unscrews kind of easily. Then the selector ring fall off. Be sure to do it on the table because finding the steel ball bearing and the magnet proved to be next to impossible and had to improvise them. Nice that i had some neodimium magnets at hand which are rahtere easy to break in desired shape with pliers.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 8008
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

the threads on it are the same as lots of lights ..I played swap the bodies and tails from quite a few lights on this light .

                 υμεις εστε το φως του κοσμου ου δυναται πολις κρυβηναι επανω ορους κειμενη

                            Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

how2
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2489
Location: london

If I buy this and 18650 version I'm I right in assuming that the head are interchangeable?

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA

how2 wrote:

If I buy this and 18650 version I'm I right in assuming that the head are interchangeable?

They sure are.  I modified one with an XM-L and left the other stock. I can swap heads/battery tubes depending on my needs.  It's a great little light and with the stock XR-E is quite a little thrower for something p60 sized.

Note: it's NOT a p60 light. Just the same size class.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2489
Location: london

JohnnyMac wrote:

I modified one with an XM-L and left the other stock.

Did you change the driver or left it stock?

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8879
Location: Eastern PA

how2 wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

I modified one with an XM-L and left the other stock.

Did you change the driver or left it stock?

Stock. Not easy to change that.
Mr.BrightLights
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/31/2011 - 02:55
Posts: 387
Location: NC ,USA
JohnnyMac wrote:

how2 wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

I modified one with an XM-L and left the other stock.

Did you change the driver or left it stock?

Stock. Not easy to change that.
Can u send link to the XML u use please,imma try toe do it to,lol

Pages