MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

8370 posts / 0 new
Last post
DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20703
Location: Heart of Texas

I buy emitters from Richard, or Cutter, or LEDDNA and occasionally from Intl Outdoors. Probably won’t be buying from Cutter though, everything just got out of hand on that end.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4135
Location: Vancouver, Canada

DB Custom wrote:
Alex, that’s exactly why I don’t buy emitters from digikey or Mouser, they sell a group bin and you can’t ever rely on what you’re going to end up with.

No, they do not sell group bins.
The part number describes exactly what bin it is.
XHP70B-00-0000-0D0BP250E-ND
for example, this is LED is chromacity group 50E, min flux group P2, CRI group B (70 cri), etc etc etc

http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/ds-XHP702.pdf
All you have do to is read the data sheet and scroll down to page 22.

Or you can literally just sort by lumen output or CRI or whatever spec you want directly on the digikey/mouser website by clicking the top of a column.

kiriba-ru
kiriba-ru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 01/17/2016 - 02:34
Posts: 2083
Location: Russia

Enderman wrote:

XHP70B-00-0000-0D0BP250E-ND
for example, this is LED is chromacity group 50E, min flux group P2, CRI group B (70 cri), etc etc etc

http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/ds-XHP702.pdf
All you have do to is read the data sheet and scroll down to page 22.


For non 3 or 5 step easywhite leds 50E is group tint which can contains any from A/B/C/D tint with fixed color temperature.
Sprinkles
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2012 - 13:06
Posts: 413
Location: NorthernCA

Richard, any chance you might get some of the black E2L Jaxman hosts?

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9552
Location: Berkeley, California

What’s the narrowest/thinnest 26650 cell available?

I got a couple of cheap flashlights in “blunderbuss” style (7-emitters, 3-cells) that are bored out just too narrow to accept my EVVA cells (the shrinkwrap would peel off if I forced the cells into the tube).
They bundled 18650 cells in those plastic sleeve carrier things, which fit the tube loosely. But I’d rather use the larger diameter cells if I can find some that fit.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 13375
Location: nyc

hank wrote:
What’s the narrowest/thinnest 26650 cell available?

I got a couple of cheap flashlights in “blunderbuss” style (7-emitters, 3-cells) that are bored out just too narrow to accept my EVVA cells (the shrinkwrap would peel off if I forced the cells into the tube).
They bundled 18650 cells in those plastic sleeve carrier things, which fit the tube loosely. But I’d rather use the larger diameter cells if I can find some that fit.

See if 4 regular C cells would fit.

I’ve got a 2×C light that I hoped I could stuff a 26650 into (with spacer). Nope, juuuust a little too snug.

So 3 18650s with sleeves might roughly equal 4 C cells.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1539

Purchased a Convoy C8 Flashlight Host – Clear Anodized from RMM on 06/13/2017. Very nice host. Accepts all my protected 18650 batteries with no problem. I recommended this host.

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2670
Location: Greece

hank wrote:
What’s the narrowest/thinnest 26650 cell available?

I got a couple of cheap flashlights in “blunderbuss” style (7-emitters, 3-cells) that are bored out just too narrow to accept my EVVA cells (the shrinkwrap would peel off if I forced the cells into the tube).
They bundled 18650 cells in those plastic sleeve carrier things, which fit the tube loosely. But I’d rather use the larger diameter cells if I can find some that fit.

Maybe Basen 4500mAh . 26.2mm max diameter

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9552
Location: Berkeley, California

Regular “c” alkalines do fit, with some space around them.
Looks (lacking a caliper) like 26.5mm bore diameter.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Basens.

Edness
Edness's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 355
Location: NYC

The new quad board is a great improvement over the Tpad board. I was curious and had to order it and put it into one of my P60 pills. The beam is round and i think it throws much better as well.

No regrets! I bought a P60 from Vinh awhile back and I now have to take that apart and reflow the LEDs to the new board. Will order more in a bit.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3326
Location: USA

Hello RMM,

Question about your EVVA branded Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh cells. I purchased one late last year. The description on your website mentions that low voltage protection will kick in at 2.75V. Recently, I had mine down to 2.51V, and it was still running. So, is my PCB broken or is the low voltage limit actually somewhere around 2.4-2.5V, like in most other PCBs of this kind?

Wondering where the 2.75V value came from. I don’t see it mentioned on evva-tech.com.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4135
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Hey I was wondering about the 32mm HX-1175b1 – 7A Buck Driver.

It says in the description “not recommended for 1S LEDs!” but from what I can find online it is designed for the SST-90 which is a 3v LED.
Other than the high 7A current it should be able to run 3v LEDs fine, right?

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Enderman wrote:
Hey I was wondering about the 32mm HX-1175b1 – 7A Buck Driver.

It says in the description “not recommended for 1S LEDs!” but from what I can find online it is designed for the SST-90 which is a 3v LED.
Other than the high 7A current it should be able to run 3v LEDs fine, right?


I couldn’t find any info online about it, other than Richard’s store. It looks like it is recommended for ~6V emitters. Maybe there was another version of the same driver that’s made for ~3V emitters. I can imagine that a SST-90 might survive on this driver anyway, since those take an enormous amount of power without blowing up (compared to our “usual” ~3V emitters). You could always try it and let us know the outcome. Innocent

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4135
Location: Vancouver, Canada

DavidEF wrote:

I couldn’t find any info online about it, other than Richard’s store. It looks like it is recommended for ~6V emitters. Maybe there was another version of the same driver that’s made for ~3V emitters. I can imagine that a SST-90 might survive on this driver anyway, since those take an enormous amount of power without blowing up (compared to our “usual” ~3V emitters). You could always try it and let us know the outcome. Innocent

This is where I checked: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/31914
Reading it again it seems like the b (not b1) is for SST90 3V leds.
I guess the B1 or C models are for 6v output only nvm I was wrong, it works for 3v
.
I hope some day MTN electronics gets buck drivers that can do more than just 6A on a 3v led…
RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Pete7874 wrote:
Hello RMM, Question about your EVVA branded Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh cells. I purchased one late last year. The description on your website mentions that low voltage protection will kick in at 2.75V. Recently, I had mine down to 2.51V, and it was still running. So, is my PCB broken or is the low voltage limit actually somewhere around 2.4-2.5V, like in most other PCBs of this kind? Wondering where the 2.75V value came from. I don't see it mentioned on evva-tech.com.

Closer to 2.5v most likely.  Take it down below 2.5v and see if it trips. 

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Enderman wrote:
Hey I was wondering about the 32mm HX-1175b1 - 7A Buck Driver. It says in the description "not recommended for 1S LEDs!" but from what I can find online it is designed for the SST-90 which is a 3v LED. Other than the high 7A current it should be able to run 3v LEDs fine, right?

Can do 3V LEDs like the SST-90, just not generally recommended since that much current will blow almost any modern 3V Cree LED sky high.  Although an XP-L or XM-L2 at 5.5A will put out more light than an SST-90 at 7A....

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Sorry guys, haven't been on here much lately.  Things have been crazy busy around here---I feel like I've been pulling double or maybe even triple duty.  

A few updates:

  • Aspire 18350s have been ordered and hopefully will arrive soon.
  • DrJones guppy3drv has been released for all FET+7135 drivers.  
    • Thermal throttling.  
    • Lots of mode groups, but less clicking.
  • I finally got some time to sit down and work on some new driver designs and updates.  The next to be released will most likely be the 17mm boost drivers.  Thermally it is not an easy task due to the limited space...still not sure if I can get the full 10A input and keep reliability.  Time will tell.
  • The new D4 tiny 18650 quad from Int'l Outdoors is pretty sweet.  I've had a review light and have been using it nonstop for a few days now.  It was sent to Tom E. for a full review, but I can tell you that it is going to be a heck of a deal at around $35.  It is obviously thermally even more limited than our typical triples...but the size and weight more than make up for it if you're looking for something pocketable without giving up 18650 capacity.

 

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Edness wrote:
The new quad board is a great improvement over the Tpad board. I was curious and had to order it and put it into one of my P60 pills. The beam is round and i think it throws much better as well. No regrets! I bought a P60 from Vinh awhile back and I now have to take that apart and reflow the LEDs to the new board. Will order more in a bit.

Sweet!  I'm glad that it was worth the extra effort to offset the LEDs...putting them square is much easier!  Making a 1S parallel board also would have been much easier, but I know that there are still a lot of guys who use these in 2S2P and 4S.  Also would have been easier if I didn't make that center hole so big...or the wire pads so far away from the LEDs....you get the picture.  No design is perfect, but I knew that I would have to live with reflowing and using hundreds of them myself, so I tried to make a design that I could be happy with even if it took me a few iterations to get there. 

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4135
Location: Vancouver, Canada

RMM wrote:

Can do 3V LEDs like the SST-90, just not generally recommended since that much current will blow almost any modern 3V Cree LED sky high.  Although an XP-L or XM-L2 at 5.5A will put out more light than an SST-90 at 7A….


Oooh ok thanks for the clarification!
The 3v LED I’m planning to use will be able to handle 7A, it will have some extreme cooling Smile (not the SST90 btw)
I’ll be buying one when you get it in stock.
PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 1034
Location: Rochester, NY

Richard, where can we find out more about the D4 tiny 18650 quad from Int’l Outdoors? I’ve seen a pic and already want to chuck some money at it.

Will you be stocking them?

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 1034
Location: Rochester, NY

Oh, and thanks for the quick shipping and recommendations on my recent order. Gotta fire up the soldering iron and get that triple going!

Edness
Edness's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 355
Location: NYC

I’m worried that the beam for the D4 will be like the Tpad board…Richard can you confirm?

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Yes, of course we will be stocking the D4.  We have already ordered some.  cool

The beam will be like the TPAD since the LEDs are in the same configuration.  I recommend not going with the XP-L HI in this light for that reason alone.  The 219Cs look good, XP-G2 acceptable, but XP-L HI were always very square in that quad configuration.  

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Sprinkles
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2012 - 13:06
Posts: 413
Location: NorthernCA

For guppy3drv, if I’m in Deck 4 Group 2, and I double click, will it go to 100? Or is double-click only active in groups with “D”?

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Sprinkles wrote:
For guppy3drv, if I'm in Deck 4 Group 2, and I double click, will it go to 100? Or is double-click only active in groups with "D"?

Only groups with "D".

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Sprinkles
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2012 - 13:06
Posts: 413
Location: NorthernCA
RMM wrote:

Sprinkles wrote:
For guppy3drv, if I’m in Deck 4 Group 2, and I double click, will it go to 100? Or is double-click only active in groups with “D”?

Only groups with “D”.

Oh, bummer. That would have been a really useful feature.

Gunga
Gunga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2014 - 16:56
Posts: 1957
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Oooh. Looking forward to more info on the d4. Does it have a good moonlight mode? UI?

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6417
Location: Ślōnsk

RMM wrote:


  • I finally got some time to sit down and work on some new driver designs and updates.  The next to be released will most likely be the 17mm boost drivers.  Thermally it is not an easy task due to the limited space…still not sure if I can get the full 10A input and keep reliability.  Time will tell.


Seems very interesting. Could you tell us more? Is it related (either technically or inspirationally) to GXB17? What variants are you planning? 6V? 8V? 12V?
Is there any timing info that you can share?
Edness
Edness's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 355
Location: NYC
RMM wrote:

Yes, of course we will be stocking the D4.  We have already ordered some.  cool


The beam will be like the TPAD since the LEDs are in the same configuration.  I recommend not going with the XP-L HI in this light for that reason alone.  The 219Cs look good, XP-G2 acceptable, but XP-L HI were always very square in that quad configuration.  

I guess if it’s not glued down, i can always change the board. I hope Hank doesn’t glue the MCPCB so it’s more mod friendly.

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Edness wrote:
RMM wrote:

Yes, of course we will be stocking the D4.  We have already ordered some.  cool

The beam will be like the TPAD since the LEDs are in the same configuration.  I recommend not going with the XP-L HI in this light for that reason alone.  The 219Cs look good, XP-G2 acceptable, but XP-L HI were always very square in that quad configuration.  

I guess if it's not glued down, i can always change the board. I hope Hank doesn't glue the MCPCB so it's more mod friendly.

The sample light wasn't glued, but I'm not sure how production lights will be. 

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Pages