Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650PD 2900mAh (Black)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7451
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650PD 2900mAh (Black)
Orbtronic 18650PD 2900mAh (Black)

DSC_4254

Official specifications:
  • Battery type: 18650
  • High Drain Capacity: 2900mAh
  • Max Discharge (constant current): 10A
  • Max Discharge Pulse Current (5-6 sec.): 18A
  • Full charge: 4.2V
  • Charging method: CV/CC
  • Minimum charging current: 0.6A
  • Rapid Charging current: 1.35A
  • Nominal (storage) voltage: 3.6V-3.7V
  • Minimum discharge voltage level: 2.5V
  • Dimensions: 18.5mm x 66.5mm
  • Weight: 46g
  • Button Top: Yes
  • AC-IR: 21 mOhm

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-info

This is the newest high current cell from Panasonic. This battery uses the PF cell, even though it is named PD. The main difference between the PD and PF cell is that Panasonic has made the PF cell a bit safer (There is also a very minor capacity increase).

DSC_4253

DSC_4256 DSC_4257

DSC_4258
DSC_4259

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-Capacity

The two batteries has a very good match in capacity and does also keep the capacity at high loads.

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-CapacityTimeHours

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-CapacityTime

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-Energy

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-PowerLoadTime

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-TripCurrent

Orbtronic%2018650PD%202900mAh%20(Black)-Charge



Conclusion

There are cells with higher voltage at high current, but none other with this much capacity.
With a Panasonic cell inside it is a very good battery, that can deliver a lot of current.


Notes and links

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

SpaceCowboy
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/30/2011 - 16:41
Posts: 244
Location: Florida

Thank you HKJ, I do not know any other web site with so many tested cells with razor sharp accuracy.

Omega_17
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 1103
Location: France

Yes wonderful work as always. Wink

But I wonder, how do this translate into real-world use ? For example why not including a runtime/lumens test with a reference flashlight to see how it behave ?
I know the results from a specific flashlight will not be exactly relevant but it should give a quick and easy idea.

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7451
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Omega_17 wrote:
But I wonder, how do this translate into real-world use ? For example why not including a runtime/lumens test with a reference flashlight to see how it behave ? I know the results from a specific flashlight will not be exactly relevant but it should give a quick and easy idea.

Testing with a flashlight may sound like a good idea, but it is way to limited.

Some batteries are designed for high current draw, some for low. It would be unfair to compare them on the same light.

How much voltage a light need for full output, depends on the led, driver and number of batteries. Panasonic batteries that works down to 2.5 volt would be much better in lights with two batteries in series or lights with boost drivers.

Combining my driver tests and battery test it is possible to draw a output curve for any battery used with any of the drivers I have tested (I do not have time to play with it at the moment).

 

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

Thanks, I had an eye on this new cell and wondered how it compares to the ncrb.
Below 3A the ncrbs are better/par with the PF and over 3A these PFs are a bit better.

What does safer mean?

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

I definitely want some of the Panasonic base pf cells.

although I suspect most wont approve of their use, Panasonic pd’s are my go to cell in my mechanical ecigs, great capacity and more than capable of doing the required current.

they need to not be re wrapped though or they won’t fit, which also excludes protected cells….which is an annoyingly stupid idea.

cheers for the tests hkj, I cant wait for these to become available.

SpaceCowboy
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/30/2011 - 16:41
Posts: 244
Location: Florida

kreisler wrote:

thanks for your work!

 

i'd be interested in generic protected PD's.

i don't like orbtronic, keeppower and such.

 

I think it would be wise move first to read, and look at HKJ review, then to post comment what you don't like.

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7451
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Werner wrote:
What does safer mean?

Less risk of explosion if the cells are overcharged, according to Panasonic.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

SpaceCowboy
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/30/2011 - 16:41
Posts: 244
Location: Florida

It might be interesting to see PD protected vs PF unprotected:

PD protected vs PF unprotected

 

Probably the best battery comparator on the net.

 

If I find some spare time I will upload PD bare cell, vs PF bare cell

RaceR86
RaceR86's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/22/2012 - 08:32
Posts: 3777
Location: Norway

Thanks HKJ. I have been looking forward to seeing a test of these. Smile

SpaceCowboy wrote:

If I find some spare time I will upload PD bare cell, vs PF bare cell

That would be interesting to see. 

BLF LED database – collaboration spreadsheet and latest news about where to buy LEDs
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19342

Omega_17
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 1103
Location: France
HKJ wrote:

Omega_17 wrote:
But I wonder, how do this translate into real-world use ? For example why not including a runtime/lumens test with a reference flashlight to see how it behave ? I know the results from a specific flashlight will not be exactly relevant but it should give a quick and easy idea.

Testing with a flashlight may sound like a good idea, but it is way to limited.

Some batteries are designed for high current draw, some for low. It would be unfair to compare them on the same light.

How much voltage a light need for full output, depends on the led, driver and number of batteries. Panasonic batteries that works down to 2.5 volt would be much better in lights with two batteries in series or lights with boost drivers.

Combining my driver tests and battery test it is possible to draw a output curve for any battery used with any of the drivers I have tested (I do not have time to play with it at the moment).

 

Yes that what I meant when I said not “exactly relevant”.
But then since its so complicated how to choose the best battery for your light ? Too many people only look at the mAh capacity and I read somewhere that sanyo 2600mAh was better to pana 3400mAh for single battery & single LED flashlight.

How about testing the best batteries suited for the most popular driver (Nanjc 105) or the most popular flashlights ?

Shadowww
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 19:09
Posts: 1343
Location: Northern Europe

Omega_17 wrote:

Yes that what I meant when I said not “exactly relevant”.
But then since its so complicated how to choose the best battery for your light ? Too many people only look at the mAh capacity and I read somewhere that sanyo 2600mAh was better to pana 3400mAh for single battery & single LED flashlight.

Story with Sanyo 2600/Panasonic 3400 in single cell lights is basically this: you get same runtime on high, but after that, Sanyo drops to zero, while Panasonic can keep running for some more time in medium & low. If you only care about runtime on high, Sanyo 2600 is obviously a better option, as it costs 1.5-2 times less – but sometimes that additional medium followed by low can save your ass, so if you don’t carry spare batteries with you, there is a reason to spend a bit more on Panasonic battery.
SpaceCowboy
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/30/2011 - 16:41
Posts: 244
Location: Florida

Absolutely agree. I like Sanyo batts in general, but if you are outside, 20 min of extra light can really save you from getting lost….

FMcamaroZ28
FMcamaroZ28's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 10/08/2012 - 09:05
Posts: 972
Location: New Jersey

Why need to wait for these pf’s? Isn’t this just a re wrap and sticker job? Many vendors are already selling the bare panasonic pfs already.

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

Yep this is just a wrapped cell with a welded on button top.
Thebare PFs are available since some time.

HKJ could you post a link to the place where you found the infos about the safety?

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7451
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

FMcamaroZ28 wrote:
Why need to wait for these pf's? Isn't this just a re wrap and sticker job? Many vendors are already selling the bare panasonic pfs already.

Some reasons can be:

To get a button top

To get from a more local dealer with better warranty and faster shipping.

To avoid getting fakes.

 

Werner wrote:
HKJ could you post a link to the place where you found the infos about the safety?

Sorry, but no. I got it on email.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Omega_17
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 1103
Location: France
Shadowww wrote:
Story with Sanyo 2600/Panasonic 3400 in single cell lights is basically this: you get same runtime on high, but after that, Sanyo drops to zero, while Panasonic can keep running for some more time in medium & low. If you only care about runtime on high, Sanyo 2600 is obviously a better option, as it costs 1.5-2 times less – but sometimes that additional medium followed by low can save your ass, so if you don’t carry spare batteries with you, there is a reason to spend a bit more on Panasonic battery.

Thanks that very interesting to know ! For tactical 1-mode flashlight it would make no difference then.

nikanon
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/25/2012 - 08:50
Posts: 439

If I get the battery comparator right, it would make a difference if the flashlight draws more than 3 amps.

Thanks HKJ for review, high quality work as usual !