Cheap "paracord" lanyards from FastTech for $1.39 with free shipping!

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Xaru
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/28/2013 - 06:22
Posts: 60
Cheap "paracord" lanyards from FastTech for $1.39 with free shipping!
MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2276
Location: Lost Islands ™

Ordered one. Thanks.

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

The weakest part of those is the most important part, the lobster claw catch. They tend to open at the most inconvenient times.

Xaru
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/28/2013 - 06:22
Posts: 60
8steve88 wrote:
The weakest part of those is the most important part, the lobster claw catch. They tend to open at the most inconvenient times.

For sure, but if you take it off you have a fairly cheap lanyard that will do the trick for holding onto things at least. I don’t know if you can get them cheaper but it seemed like an alright deal! Smile

Essexman
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 18:18
Posts: 707
Location: UK
8steve88 wrote:
The weakest part of those is the most important part, the lobster claw catch. They tend to open at the most inconvenient times.

That type being used there are the worst. They tend to break at the swivel point, very poor quality.

travis
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 1010
Location: SoCal

I dont like hardware possibly scraping my lights.
I usually remove metal fixtures and attach just the actual paracord to the light when possible. I use asmall split ring in cases where the lanyard holes are too small to
feed paracord through.

“"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.””
-George Washington

phsinvent
phsinvent's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 01/24/2013 - 18:30
Posts: 587
Location: Ohio

The cord looks sturdy. Be careful of the lobster claw. They are typically chrome plated pot metal that snap very easy.

Xaru
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/28/2013 - 06:22
Posts: 60

Yeah, when they arrive for me I’ll slide them through the lanyard hole then pull it through itself so I have something to grab a flashlight out of a pocket etc. and being bright colored they might be good for helping you to find your torch/knife etc. if you lost it. They’re just little things that you always needs for knives and stuff.

MountainKing
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 03:20
Posts: 2276
Location: Lost Islands ™

Received mine today. I am happy with the quality and the lobster claw seems firm enough.

Never ever forget and forgive. Niwal**er new kid on the block trying to act tough.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24847
Do not support this brand.

DINODIRECTSCAM COMPANY. DO NOT BUY
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11324?page=2#comment-254983

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

When I see all the erm…… stuff that gets sold for cheap it makes me really pleased that I bought mil-spec 550 Paracord and fittings in A2 and A4 stainless steel.
Please, learn to tie a knot and make your own or buy from a reputable maker, Essexman maybe.

You’ll curse the day that you bought these “lanyards”. How much is the knife, light, bunch of keys etc. worth to you. Imagine them sliding down a drain when the cheapo connectors part company, If you’ve ever lost a key this way you would never buy cheap paracord again.

offroad
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 5 days ago
Joined: 08/05/2010 - 08:52
Posts: 60
Location: USA
8steve88 wrote:
it makes me really pleased that I bought mil-spec 550 Paracord and fittings in A2 and A4 stainless steel.

Thanks for the info, do you have a link to the Paracord and fittings you’d recommend?

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.
offroad wrote:
8steve88 wrote:
it makes me really pleased that I bought mil-spec 550 Paracord and fittings in A2 and A4 stainless steel.

Thanks for the info, do you have a link to the Paracord and fittings you’d recommend?

In the U.K. Wild Elk Paracord if you’re from the U.S.A. Atwood Rope Company for the Paracord you’re probably better set than us in the U.K.

Fittings Stainless steel Graphskill U shackles for bracelets etc. M6 nuts for beads to match.
For caribiner breaking load 500kg.

Go industrial, the parts are good quality and quality costs a little more but it’s well worth it in the long run.

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4278
Location: San Diego, CA

Knockoff paracord isn't that bad, not for this application, but I'll agree that the hardware is rubbish.  I wouldn't use the hardware even if it was good though because I don't like how it tears apart the anodizing around the lanyard hole.

 

The cord end is another weak point.  If you make your own, connect the cord with a couple stitches before installing the cord end.

The low mode should be lower.

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

Good quality paracord is much better to “tie” and the finished pieces look a lot better. but as you say in an application where you’re only holding a couple of dollars worth of kit then fine, I just wouldn’t want to see car or house keys disappear.

Kodachrome40
Kodachrome40's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 14:34
Posts: 853

8steve88 wrote:
When I see all the erm…… stuff that gets sold for cheap it makes me really pleased that I bought mil-spec 550 Paracord and fittings in A2 and A4 stainless steel.
Please, learn to tie a knot and make your own or buy from a reputable maker, Essexman maybe.

You’ll curse the day that you bought these “lanyards”. How much is the knife, light, bunch of keys etc. worth to you. Imagine them sliding down a drain when the cheapo connectors part company, If you’ve ever lost a key this way you would never buy cheap paracord again.

You got a point there. Your post got me thinking. I got to look into this.

Buwuve
Buwuve's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 02/11/2011 - 14:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Germany

I bought paracord in the USA two years ago from Supply Captain and thsi was really good, but shipping to Europe was expensive. Now I buy here in Germany my paracord.
A needle could be also fine to work with, but I haven't one.

Light up the darkness.

Essexman
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 18:18
Posts: 707
Location: UK
Buwuve wrote:

I bought paracord in the USA two years ago from Supply Captain and thsi was really good, but shipping to Europe was expensive. Now I buy here in Germany my paracord.
A needle could be also fine to work with, but I haven’t one.

Similar needles can be found on Amazon. They are very useful.

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.
Essexman wrote:
Buwuve wrote:

I bought paracord in the USA two years ago from Supply Captain and thsi was really good, but shipping to Europe was expensive. Now I buy here in Germany my paracord.
A needle could be also fine to work with, but I haven’t one.

Similar needles can be found on Amazon. They are very useful.

FID

I liked it so much that I bought another one a couple of days after the first, saves a lot of bad language. :bigsmile:

Damned expensive for a bit of brass rod but well worth it. I bought 2 smaller sizes as well for thin leather and wax cotton.

And may your Aglets never drop off. :exmark:

Buwuve
Buwuve's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 02/11/2011 - 14:49
Posts: 1975
Location: Germany

8steve88 wrote:
Essexman wrote:
Buwuve wrote:

I bought paracord in the USA two years ago from Supply Captain and thsi was really good, but shipping to Europe was expensive. Now I buy here in Germany my paracord.
A needle could be also fine to work with, but I haven't one.

Similar needles can be found on Amazon. They are very useful.
"FID":http://www.amazon.co.uk/eCobbler-Leather-Laces-Threading-Needle/dp/B007S...

I Germany it cost round about 6-7€ + shipping (in US round about $5).
Is it important to have a brass needle or is aluminum similar? Some shops write, that brass should be better - I don't know why?

Light up the darkness.

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

Quote:
Is it important to have a brass needle or is aluminum similar? Some shops write, that brass should be better – I don’t know why?

Brass feels better, a bit more slippery, but it’s probably all in the head. Aluminium and nylon should be just as good as brass and nylon on the friction side. brass might have the edge in retaining the internal threads.
Personally I’d prefer the brass but either would do fine.
Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

MountainKing wrote:
Received mine today. I am happy with the quality and the lobster claw seems firm enough.

Have you fastened the lobster on a light and pulled hard on the lanyard?
I do this every time with new lanyards and sometimes something brakes….
Essexman
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 18:18
Posts: 707
Location: UK
Buwuve wrote:
Is it important to have a brass needle or is aluminum similar? Some shops write, that brass should be better – I don’t know why?

I use custom made Ti threaded needles….

Easy to make. By cheap Ti tent peg and find some one nice to machine on a lathe.

8steve88
8steve88's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/08/2013 - 11:22
Posts: 1828
Location: Cleveland U.K.

Very impressive, the fid as well as the knotwork. Star

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4908
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Very nice Conquistador bracelet , Essexman !

I am currently experimenting with that weave as well .

Well done .

What I do