need blue light to make nerf darts glow

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
zach8935
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/08/2013 - 03:38
Posts: 147
Location: douglasville, ga
need blue light to make nerf darts glow

my family just bought alot of nerf guns. we have plaid out at night and we find it a pain to find them. so i want i guess something with a blue light thyat’ll make the orange on them glow when i go across them. anyone know of anything. budget is 10-15$

Edited by: zach8935 on 01/22/2014 - 04:31
WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Viola

http://glow-on.com/

 

Plus at night...hit it with a decent lumen Cree for a second or two...now you have tracer nerf darts

zach8935
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/08/2013 - 03:38
Posts: 147
Location: douglasville, ga

yea see that’d get expensive. after the battles which take place over 3 different yards in series theres 350 darts lying around. thats why i want a light to make the orange dart tips glow when the light hits them

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Ah you need reflective tape then

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6387
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

How big are these darts ? i seen these LED finger lights sold localy at a dollar store for $ 1 dollar for four of them: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_7522_5.jpg
if your darts are those big foam ones, these may fit inside them.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

zach8935
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/08/2013 - 03:38
Posts: 147
Location: douglasville, ga

well mine all have florescent orange spray paint on them but i need a strong light with i guess a blue emitter so when i’m looking for them they’ll glow or the orange will light up among brush or bushes and such. the tracer round idea isnt bad but im the “assassin” or sniper so i cant give off position. lol i need a blacklight with reach i guess

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18083
Location: Amsterdam

This cheap little 400nm flashlight is only $10,83 and using a 16340 battery (not a primary cr123) it puts out quite an impressive amount of light, considering size and price (I have one). My guess is that in the dark you can spot fluorescent paint from 50+ meters:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004661/1358900-uniquefire-602c-uv-3...

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

djozz wrote:

This cheap little 400nm flashlight is only $10,83 and using a 16340 battery (not a primary cr123) it puts out quite an impressive amount of light, considering size and price (I have one). My guess is that in the dark you can spot fluorescent paint from 50+ meters:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004661/1358900-uniquefire-602c-uv-3...

Nice...then I guess a little UV paint...and VIOLA...super glowy nerf darts!

http://www.xoxide.com/paint.html

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18083
Location: Amsterdam

WarHawk-AVG wrote:

djozz wrote:

This cheap little 400nm flashlight is only $10,83 and using a 16340 battery (not a primary cr123) it puts out quite an impressive amount of light, considering size and price (I have one). My guess is that in the dark you can spot fluorescent paint from 50+ meters:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004661/1358900-uniquefire-602c-uv-3...

Nice...then I guess a little UV paint...and VIOLA...super glowy nerf darts!

http://www.xoxide.com/paint.html

that orange fluorescent paint that is already on the darts will glow up like anything under 400nm light.

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

Wow, I just checked some of the elite darts with my coloured mce.
On blue they are glowing like hell.

Thanks for the advice I will try this next time..

zach8935
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/08/2013 - 03:38
Posts: 147
Location: douglasville, ga

yea see thats what i want. but i painted my whole darts the color of the heads so they should really shine

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

What if you just dedome and de-phospher one of your existing lights?  I think most white LEDs lights have royal blue emitters underneath.  Not sure about that though.  Come to think about, the members on this forum are probably sitting on a big stash of dedomed, de-phospored emitters.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18083
Location: Amsterdam

ImA4Wheelr wrote:

Come to think about, the members on this forum are probably sitting on a big stash of dedomed, de-phospored emitters.

I don't, all my dedomes worked perfectly Innocent

islisis
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2013 - 23:22
Posts: 352
Location: Tokyo, Japan

UV P60 drop ins are also available

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/generic-uv-395mm-mode-led-dropi...

blue:

http://lightake.com/p/UltraFire-1-Mode-100-Lumen-Blue-LED-Light-Drop-in-Module-for-501B-502B_46721.html

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 day ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

If the Royal Blue works well, why risk the hazards of UV? Especially if kids might want to use it.

Essexman
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 18:18
Posts: 707
Location: UK

Great thread. Just got my two kids a couple of nerf guns for Christmas, now I really need to buy one!
Our youngest keep shooting me on the butt!

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18083
Location: Amsterdam

Gj wrote:

If the Royal Blue works well, why risk the hazards of UV? Especially if kids might want to use it.

400nm is not that hazardous. It is easier than white light to look at for too long because your eyes are not very sensitive for it, but as soon as you take notice of that, it does not do too much harm. And more than royal blue your fluorescent dart stands out from the light you illuminate it with.

Confusius
Confusius's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 04/23/2011 - 20:12
Posts: 265
Location: Germany
djozz wrote:

Gj wrote:

If the Royal Blue works well, why risk the hazards of UV? Especially if kids might want to use it.

400nm is not that hazardous. It is easier than white light to look at for too long because your eyes are not very sensitive for it, but as soon as you take notice of that, it does not do too much harm. And more than royal blue your fluorescent dart stands out from the light you illuminate it with.

I have used both to look for Nerf darts, an old Cree UV emitter in a XR-E package (can’t remember the specs), and a XT-E emitter in royal blue. While the UV emitter might make the darts stand out a bit better, the royal blue XT-E puts out a TON more light, so I find it much more useful.

zach8935, with your budget of 10-15 $ you could perhaps build a P60-style drop in or a C2/C8-style pill with a cheap single mode driver. I can’t tell you where to get a (royal) blue LED for that budget though, since the shop where I got mine is in Germany, so shipping will be expensive. Maybe someone else can help?

There used to be drop ins on dealextreme in red, green and blue, but I never got one of those.

Also: Nerf battles are awesome! I love the smell of foam in the morning! Big Smile

Confusius Say

Take out the fortune before you eat the cookie.

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

I just spotted a blue xre p60 dropin on light castle for 8.5$
I ordered a blue xre for 2.5$ from them…

islisis
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2013 - 23:22
Posts: 352
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Werner wrote:
I just spotted a blue xre p60 dropin on light castle for 8.5$

Is this the one you saw?
I would be suspcious of whatever info they supply for their listings, considering it clearly isn’t xp-e, maybe not even xr-e but some generic clone like the other available drop ins

Helios-
Helios-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 days ago
Joined: 01/18/2012 - 21:12
Posts: 2099

Yellow glasses will make the glowing darts stand out much better & protect your eyes.
$3.60 , $4.83 on amazon.


Counterfeit 18650s, 2,<a href=“http://

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

Blue xre arrived today.
This blue don’t works so good as my 9×5mm UV LED light.

rollinstone157
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/31/2013 - 13:08
Posts: 300
Location: NJ-PA Area

I’m building a 9x XT-E Royal Blue light right now. For no particular reason other than just because. That might just fit the bill for you!