MTG2 6V variant can be direct drive from 6V or still requires 8.4V? .....please help....

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA
MTG2 6V variant can be direct drive from 6V or still requires 8.4V? .....please help....

Hi all,
I have been wanting a direct drive MTG2 since they came out. I know MTG2 can be direct driven off 2 li-on cells with 8.4v input.

I purchased the int outdoor variant that says 6V.
http://intl-outdoor.com/led-mtg2-c-107_138.html

Does anybody know if I need 6V max or is it like most builds out there and can take 8.4V input?

I am thinking 6V = using 4AA NiMH cells in direct drive mode
or
2 IMR14500’s in a 2*AA light likely something from Costco or Defiant LED. Tailcap will be twisty of course.

No matter what It will be a Mule build.

Thank you,
bigC

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

Heck, I am even willing to run it direct drive with 6 NiMH AA cells if thats possible voltage input wise.

bigC

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 12 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 4011
Location: Honeyland

Interesting graph to look at, the you would need to think how much IMR14500 sag

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/22636#comment-417559

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA
Hikelite wrote:

Interesting graph to look at, the you would need to think how much IMR14500 sag

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/22636#comment-417559

I looked at that thread. Thank you.
Concluded, I can definitely run 6V input for dismal 2A and 1300 lumens or 8.4V input for 5A and 2200ish lumens.

Thank you,
bigC

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18319
Location: Amsterdam

The 6V MT-G2 is the one people use with 2x18650 cells. At high current the MT-G2 has a higher voltage than 6V, 2x18650 cells have voltage sag, and usually there is some voltage drop in the flashlight (often the clicky), all this together makes the MT-G2 run fine on two li-ions. In the thread Hikelite links I described a MT-G2 direct drive build with two CGR18650CH IMR cells, with full batteries it runs at 8amps (3000+ lumens Smile ).

(I'm not sure if I bring much news here BigC, you've been around much longer than I Smile )

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA
djozz wrote:

The 6V MT-G2 is the one people use with 2×18650 cells. At high current the MT-G2 has a higher voltage than 6V, 2×18650 cells have voltage sag, and usually there is some voltage drop in the flashlight (often the clicky), all this together makes the MT-G2 run fine on two li-ions. In the thread Hikelite links I described a MT-G2 direct drive build with two CGR18650CH IMR cells, with full batteries it runs at 8amps (3000+ lumens :) ).

(I’m not sure if I bring much news here BigC, you’ve been around much longer than I :) )

Thats what I figured those no-name IMR18650 can define the performance of DD builds and the 2nd offenders are the switches. So, I plan on a twisty of some sort.

Honestly, I think a 2*IMR 14500 tiny mule would be awesome. Completely inpractical of course and just to have that wow factor with my non-flashaholic buddies….lol

Reminds me of my Surefire L1 Mr. Lamdalights put a solid copper chunk in there with SST-90 soldered directly to the copper boardless. That sucker was a heavy tiny light with 5~6A of current off IMR 18500 and too hot to hold shortly after turn on.

bigC

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18319
Location: Amsterdam

Since the MT-G2 (on a copper board, when heatsinked) will not blow at any current below 16A, you can experiment with almost every battery configuration that outputs more than 6V

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10401
Location: Golden state

Just make sure you put it on a copper star and you’re good to go.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18319
Location: Amsterdam

Bigchelis wrote:
Reminds me of my Surefire L1 Mr. Lamdalights put a solid copper chunk in there with SST-90 soldered directly to the copper boardless. That sucker was a heavy tiny light with 5~6A of current off IMR 18500 and too hot to hold shortly after turn on. bigC

That is the fun with the direct bond to copper (available to a layman like me since the Sinkpad came out Smile ), it almost doesn't matter anymore how small and hot your flashlight is: the led just keeps going.

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

Thanks to you guys here 8)

I just purchased the TitaniumInovations 3AA to 1D cell holders. 2 of them to be exact. I got the series variant, so each one will give me 4.2V~4.5V input. Effectively putting me in a perfect spot to overdrive this LED.

Now, I have to re-think what 2D cell host can be made into a twistie rather easy….lol

Best,
bigC

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18319
Location: Amsterdam

Bigchelis wrote:
Thanks to you guys here 8) I just purchased the TitaniumInovations 3AA to 1D cell holders. 2 of them to be exact. I got the series variant, so each one will give me 4.2V~4.5V input. Effectively putting me in a perfect spot to overdrive this LED. Now, I have to re-think what 2D cell host can be made into a twistie rather easy....lol Best, bigC

That sounds like it will work very well. Could you please give an update when the mod is done (with pics of course Cool )

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

I want to have it take both AA with holder and D cells.

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

Since I will most likely have a buddy build me a 2D Mag Host with copper slug heatsink I think those two 3*AA holders will work great as a AA cell alternative.

I was thinking since I have a dozen NiMH D cells that I can purchase some D cell extentions. It would look like a 70’s 6D or 7D Mag….lol

Does anybody know for certain if I can even do 7D NiMH on DD ? Thats about 9.8V input when cells are fresh off the charger, but they very quickly get to the stable 1.2V input each. So, would you guys even try 7D cells or stop at the safe 6D cell configuration?

Thank you,
bigC

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

Only one way to find out... Cool  (would be easy to say that if the MT-G2 wasn't so expensive!)

The MT-G2 with a good thermal path can take quite a bit of abuse and draw a lot of power!  My guess is that it is going to suck those cells down to a reasonable voltage quickly with the amount of draw it is going to put on them.  It may be safer to try 6D first and see what voltage sag you get when turned on, then you can decide whether or not 7D is a good idea. 

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

Bigchelis wrote:
Does anybody know for certain if I can even do 7D NiMH on DD ? Thats about 9.8V input when cells are fresh off the charger, but they very quickly get to the stable 1.2V input each. So, would you guys even try 7D cells or stop at the safe 6D cell configuration? Thank you, bigC
Be the first, we are all watching. Wink Seems a little high to me.

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

Just a quick update.

I went to AutoZone and purchased a $33 dollar 6D Flashlight. Almost identical to the homedopot Defiant 3D in terms of heatsink screwing out and incredibly easy to mod…..

The 6D from Autozone is rated at 200 lumens via an XP-E emitter and its a 20mm star. So, the 20mm star MTG2 would fit like a glove.

The reflector is plastic and the Lens is too. Fortunately my UCL Mag Diffused lens are exactly the same size and it fits perfect.

The stock driver I am not sure what it is. But the XPE pulls .525mA at the tailcap with 8.4V input. So, thats pretty good 4watts~<.

Hopefully, I can finish the project this week and post results.

bigC

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

6D vs 3D

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 sec ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4939
Location: USA

I couldnt find the 6D light on autozone.com. Is the heat sink as thick and heavy as the 3D defiant? Im looking forward to your mod pics. I bet this would accommodate 4 × 32650’s.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1425
Location: usa

it should, may be even 5.

i’m thinking that light, mtg2 and b3 flex, or hb flex if mtg2 is 36v. should be very bright.

i recently build mtg2 4c mag, with deep rebel reflector, but i still had to use difuser film, cuz beam was full of artifacts. regular inc. mag reflector did not focus mtg2 at all. b3flex offers temp control, if glued to same heatsink as led.

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 sec ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4939
Location: USA

I found the 6D: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Police-Security-Hi-intensit...

Im sure George could set us up with an excellent driver, but then we would quickly run into problems with heat sinking unless a much larger deeply finned one could be made.

Its hard to beat the bang for the buck when considering the super easy Trustfire X7 MTG2 mod. The large stock reflector takes advantage of the MTG2 and casts a fantastic beam. It would have been nice if it came equipped with a 26650 or 32650 battery tube, but it already does well on its own with 3 × 18650’s.

StorminMatt
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/01/2012 - 01:37
Posts: 521
Location: Norcal

Bigchelis wrote:
Just a quick update.

I went to AutoZone and purchased a $33 dollar 6D Flashlight. Almost identical to the homedopot Defiant 3D in terms of heatsink screwing out and incredibly easy to mod…..

The 6D from Autozone is rated at 200 lumens via an XP-E emitter and its a 20mm star. So, the 20mm star MTG2 would fit like a glove.

The reflector is plastic and the Lens is too. Fortunately my UCL Mag Diffused lens are exactly the same size and it fits perfect.

The stock driver I am not sure what it is. But the XPE pulls .525mA at the tailcap with 8.4V input. So, thats pretty good 4watts~<.

Hopefully, I can finish the project this week and post results.

bigC

I’ve been eyeing that light for MONTHS with that same thought. It would almost be like doing the same mod to a 6D Maglite. But without all the fuss and expense of trying to find an appropriate heatsink. I’m sure that light would be AWESOME with an MT-G2 and six Tenergy Centuras or Premiums. I’m just surprised nobody has done it yet. But I guess most people would prefer to do smaller lights powered by Li-Ion batteries. By the way, do you know what the driver size is in that light?

Speaking of Li-Ion, I wonder how an MT-G2 would do with a couple of A123 Systems LiFePO4? Voltage would be lower than with two IMR or ICR batteries. But with those 70A 26650s, voltage sag would be practically nonexistant – a constant 6.4V throughout the entire discharge. OR, add another for 9.6V.

Without lamps, there’d be no light.

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

StorminMatt wrote:
Bigchelis wrote:
Just a quick update.

I went to AutoZone and purchased a $33 dollar 6D Flashlight. Almost identical to the homedopot Defiant 3D in terms of heatsink screwing out and incredibly easy to mod…..

The 6D from Autozone is rated at 200 lumens via an XP-E emitter and its a 20mm star. So, the 20mm star MTG2 would fit like a glove.

The reflector is plastic and the Lens is too. Fortunately my UCL Mag Diffused lens are exactly the same size and it fits perfect.

The stock driver I am not sure what it is. But the XPE pulls .525mA at the tailcap with 8.4V input. So, thats pretty good 4watts~<.

Hopefully, I can finish the project this week and post results.

bigC

I’ve been eyeing that light for MONTHS with that same thought. It would almost be like doing the same mod to a 6D Maglite. But without all the fuss and expense of trying to find an appropriate heatsink. I’m sure that light would be AWESOME with an MT-G2 and six Tenergy Centuras or Premiums. I’m just surprised nobody has done it yet. But I guess most people would prefer to do smaller lights powered by Li-Ion batteries. By the way, do you know what the driver size is in that light?

Speaking of Li-Ion, I wonder how an MT-G2 would do with a couple of A123 Systems LiFePO4? Voltage would be lower than with two IMR or ICR batteries. But with those 70A 26650s, voltage sag would be practically nonexistant – a constant 6.4V throughout the entire discharge. OR, add another for 9.6V.

Just an update. The driver in that big 6D Light is beyond me. It looks like a normal 16mm P60 type drop-in.
The heatsink while it screws out, to my surprise it is completely hollow. No heatsinking even below the emitter. Weird for sure.

Anyhow, PCC here is helping me with a copper slug for the center. The 6V MTG2 off my initial testing only pulls 1A off 6D Tenergy cells. Not sure whats going on there.

PCC
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/24/2012 - 15:52
Posts: 334
Location: San Francisco

I think the switch has a lot of resistance. I’ll have to come up with something to replace the stock switch as well as to increase the heatsink mass.

Bigchelis
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2011 - 22:53
Posts: 259
Location: San Jose, CA

This 6D Light while it has a screwout heatsink that is easy to mod. The lack of heatsink is not good at all.

Having said that, the beam it produces stock on its factory XPE is utterly amazing. Perfect round and white beam for wall hunters.

I like this light so much I am debating on purchasing a 2nd one. Just drop in an XPE2 and run it with stock low amp driver. Yup, it still throws amazingly well for a stock low powered 200 lumens light.

bigC

PCC
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/24/2012 - 15:52
Posts: 334
Location: San Francisco

It’s just that it’s so dang big. It’s like carrying a baseball bat around. Maybe that’s why you like it, but, it’s just massive for that 200 lumens.

The holdup on your MT-G2 version is the switch. The stock switch is pretty cheesy and will melt when we turn it on with this emitter.

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Rufusbduck wrote:
Just make sure you put it on a copper star and you’re good to go.
I was about to say get ready to heatsink the snot out of it at that voltage and output

Tons of light because you are now holding a small sun! 2000+ lumens from ONE emitter! Whoah!