The next thing in batteries is right around the corner - sort of.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yellowhorse
Yellowhorse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/26/2011 - 19:16
Posts: 432
Location: Deepest Darkest West Virginia
The next thing in batteries is right around the corner - sort of.

sb56637 edit—
Similar threads:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/30420
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/30409
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/30255

——————————————

When this new technology finally reaches the market, everything we think we know about batteries will change. It’s about time!

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/04/07/storedot-promises-recharge-phon...

http://www.store-dot.com/

Edited by: sb56637 on 04/13/2014 - 09:35
koyotee
koyotee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 days ago
Joined: 11/22/2012 - 11:12
Posts: 1683
Location: Slovenia

I’ve read hundreds of news of such “NEW batteries”, but we are still using nimh Smile

Finaly, proud owner of a Powerex Maha mh c-9000 for my Eneloops:)

Yellowhorse
Yellowhorse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/26/2011 - 19:16
Posts: 432
Location: Deepest Darkest West Virginia
koyotee wrote:
I’ve read hundreds of news of such “NEW batteries”, but we are still using nimh Smile

I have no idea what you have been reading. Apparently, you didn’t read up on this though. There is a lot of verifiable information out there on this. I only posted 2 links. There most certainly have not been “hundreds” of new (breakthrough) battery technology improvements, even in the last 20 years. Try discounting the scams and fakes in your number and take a look at reality. Nanotechnology will be changing everything – soon. This Intel sponsored contest/award is quite real and the new anode design is a game changer. I’ll be sure to bring this back up when it hits the market. Conversely, you be sure to rub this in my face if it fails. Smile

Nimh? Nothing wrong with it. There are and will continue to be, devices in which nimh is the best choice for power for quite some time. I still use them in my TV and radio remote controls and I have an old camera running on nimh. Personally, I have nothing else that uses that chemistry. Oh, wait………….the battery in my car key and bathroom scale is nimh (button battery).

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1341
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

I’ll have to agree with koyotee on this. I see claims for new battery technology nearly as often as the claims for improvements in solar cell efficiency and cost. And this miraculous new technology is always just a year or two (or 10) away.

I’m not getting excited until it’s available for sale and is priced competitively with current technology.

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

koyotee wrote:
I’ve read hundreds of news of such “NEW batteries”, but we are still using nimh Smile

Thais exactly what i thought to.
asval
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 11:38
Posts: 150

looks like teslas new battery plant is now worthless

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8205
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Yellowhorse wrote:
There most certainly have not been “hundreds” of new (breakthrough) battery technology improvements, even in the last 20 years. Try discounting the scams and fakes in your number and take a look at reality.

Check MIT technology review and TG daily and Science Daily

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4278
Location: San Diego, CA

koyotee wrote:
I've read hundreds of news of such "NEW batteries", but we are still using nimh :)

Yeah, I've read so many battery breakthroughs in the past 20+ years.  It's hard to get existed anymore.  I don't care unless it's in production, and if you claim it's not available because you're holding out on limited production for sale to hobbyists because you'll only sell in a gigantic order, then good riddens to you and your vaporware.  Say hi to A123.  Or...  Actually find any way to produce your product and sell to whoever will buy it.  Literally.  Oculus Rift did just that just sold for billions.

The low mode should be lower.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8205
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

leaftye wrote:

koyotee wrote:
I’ve read hundreds of news of such “NEW batteries”, but we are still using nimh Smile

Yeah, I’ve read so many battery breakthroughs in the past 20+ years.  It’s hard to get existed anymore.  I don’t care unless it’s in production, and if you claim it’s not available because you’re holding out on limited production for sale to hobbyists because you’ll only sell in a gigantic order, then good riddens to you and your vaporware.  Say hi to A123.  Or…  Actually find any way to produce your product and sell to whoever will buy it.  Literally.  Oculus Rift did just that just sold for billions.


i object to the term vaporware, it should be known as duke nukemware :bigsmile:

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Why does it look like they turned a flat smartphone into a “brickphone” by strapping a huge ol’ block to it?

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8205
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

WarHawk-AVG wrote:
Why does it look like they turned a flat smartphone into a “brickphone” by strapping a huge ol’ block to it?

Grandpa Simpson: Why the fax machine is nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1876

Well hey, if they ever iron out all the details on one of these new systems, then it will happen…until then the when is nebulous, and then after that there is the when for consumer level products…many of these may remain high cost applications only. I think Li-ion batteries are a pretty safe bet for their lifespan currently.

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 2995
Location: Perth

Wtihout even reading the link I’m guessing this is about super conductors??? That idea has been around for a while, just nobobdy has worked out how to control the release of all that power. Nano technology is already in the system, as mentioned A123’s are on the same page and can be charged at 20 amps when fresh. Nanotech lipo’s are common for RC (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__378__85__batteries_accessorie...). I have used nano cylindrical cells from this link put together a 4 cells pack inside a D cell. They are soft cells with no protection circuit. New tech is always good but it’s not the be all end all. Nowadays they are best for wow lights 8) So if you have an application/plan let us know Smile

  

LumenHound
LumenHound's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 07/15/2011 - 09:29
Posts: 289
Location: Toronto

Yawn.

I have a pragmatic point of view when it comes to bi-weekly announcements like this.

Most of them sound like fodder for Hollywood “IPO then pump and dump” movie scripts.

50 years ago they said we would all drive flying cars by now so where the heck is my George Jetson flying car???

freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 10436

I only heard of Graphene battery. Should be the “Next Big Thing”.

1thedeals.comyoutubeAstroluxNealsgadgetsolight

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 3 sec ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 6730
Location: Holland

If we have to believe every internet article.. this was from 2007: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/407207/battery-breakthrough/

Banggood isn't selling these batteries yet, and manafont Wink neither.

EdT
EdT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/22/2014 - 17:16
Posts: 97
Location: Canada

The same can be said why we are still using oil when nuclear power was invented over 70 years ago ?

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8205
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

EdT wrote:
The same can be said why we are still using oil when nuclear power was invented over 70 years ago ?

try putting nuclear reactors in cars, buses and airplanes and then ask that question again

also look up the cost of nuclear power compared to other energy sources

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9593
Location: Berkeley, California

Can’t resist a cackle from the rocking chair.
You kids don’t know what your folks near-missed:

Nuclear powered car
Nuclear powered aircraft
and, fortunately, only simulated with high explosives (around 8:00 and 9:00 are good parts)
Project Orion

LumenHound
LumenHound's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 07/15/2011 - 09:29
Posts: 289
Location: Toronto

Let me know when the latest and greatest vaporware battery can generate 1.21 Jigawatts…

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8205
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

hank wrote:
Can’t resist a cackle from the rocking chair.
You kids don’t know what your folks near-missed:

Nuclear powered car
Nuclear powered aircraft
and, fortunately, only simulated with high explosives (around 8:00 and 9:00 are good parts)
Project Orion


I have been to the Henry Ford museum that holds the model of the Nucleon (the whole museum has one japanese vehicle)

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Helios-
Helios-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2012 - 21:12
Posts: 2099

EdT wrote:
The same can be said why we are still using oil when nuclear power was invented over 70 years ago ?

Standard nuclear fission, no thanks. :Sp

Maybe we will get lucky with fusion research. Lots of effort & money is going into it. The ITER experimental tokamak might come online 2027.


Counterfeit 18650s, 2,<a href=“http://

EdT
EdT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/22/2014 - 17:16
Posts: 97
Location: Canada

Helios- wrote:
EdT wrote:
The same can be said why we are still using oil when nuclear power was invented over 70 years ago ?

Standard nuclear fission, no thanks. :Sp

Maybe we will get lucky with fusion research. Lots of effort & money is going into it. The ITER experimental tokamak might come online 2027.

Thorium fission reactors in the meantime before H3O fusion, China is leading in this technology !