Flashaholics Anonymous: The Flashlight Purchase Refusal Kudos Thread

241 posts / 0 new
Last post
Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

So I needed a good cheap house flashlight so I ordered a KD C8. Hope it arrives before the end of the year (I did pay for the airmail tracking) but it has been marker backordered for a day now. I wonder if that just means processing? Since I was ordering from KD I added a couple of AR lenses for the Solarforce L2 series. Will see if they actually make a difference.

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6098
Location: Johnstown, PA

Yes "backordered" status at KD just means "order processing". Doesn't necessarily mean "out of stock". 

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques

, MTBR’s Lights & Night Riding Forum
NOTE: Now hosting my photos from my Google account. Post up if you can’t see them. Older photos hosted on Photobucket or Flickr may disappear (PM me if you want access to them).
DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Windsurf wrote:
So I needed a good cheap house flashlight so I ordered a KD C8. Hope it arrives before the end of the year (I did pay for the airmail tracking) but it has been marker backordered for a day now. I wonder if that just means processing? Since I was ordering from KD I added a couple of AR lenses for the Solarforce L2 series. Will see if they actually make a difference.

Windsurf, have you fallen off the wagon? You’re supposed to be refusing to buy new flashlights, not buying more and more! Silly I think you need a therapist. You’re definitely a flashaholic! :bigsmile:

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA
DavidEF wrote:
Windsurf wrote:
So I needed a good cheap house flashlight so I ordered a KD C8. Hope it arrives before the end of the year (I did pay for the airmail tracking) but it has been marker backordered for a day now. I wonder if that just means processing? Since I was ordering from KD I added a couple of AR lenses for the Solarforce L2 series. Will see if they actually make a difference.
Windsurf, have you fallen off the wagon? You’re supposed to be refusing to buy new flashlights, not buying more and more! Silly I think you need a therapist. You’re definitely a flashaholic! :bigsmile:

:>) Yes your right. I came here for therapy, but it isn’t helping.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
Windsurf wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
Windsurf wrote:
So I needed a good cheap house flashlight so I ordered a KD C8. Hope it arrives before the end of the year (I did pay for the airmail tracking) but it has been marker backordered for a day now. I wonder if that just means processing? Since I was ordering from KD I added a couple of AR lenses for the Solarforce L2 series. Will see if they actually make a difference.
Windsurf, have you fallen off the wagon? You’re supposed to be refusing to buy new flashlights, not buying more and more! Silly I think you need a therapist. You’re definitely a flashaholic! :bigsmile:

:>) Yes your right. I came here for therapy, but it isn’t helping.


Yeah, I thought I had the right answer. I committed to buy some lights from the Eagle Eye X6 GB, and I said I wasn’t going to buy any others until that one produced. If I had kept that commitment, I would have had a very long success streak! But, my resolve was weak. I’ve bought several other lights in between. But now I think I’m gonna be okay until it’s ready for sure. I have plenty to play with for now. We’ll see how long that lasts! Maybe I’ll actually get a month under my belt, at least.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Samlittle
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/21/2014 - 10:12
Posts: 40
Location: Maine

OK – so I think this is my 3rd post on BLF (though 90 or so on CPF) and I am here to say that I will not buy another light until I sell one (or trade). Man o’ man it takes a bit of effort to resist. You’d think I live in a place where darkness is 23 hours long every day. Smile

Then I start reading about some new (to me) buy options here on BLFMountain Electronics, for example – give me strength!

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

Can I buy more if I throw some away? I’m very new to LED flashlights so I still had some of the old incan ones around. The light they put out was embarressing compared to what the LED’s produce. I could see I would never use an incan light ever again so I threw out three of them. So my question is “Do I get credit for throwing out these old ones so maybe I can pick up another LED flashlight?”

I know, I know this is just a sad excuse to justify buying another flashlight. But I have to say it did feel good to get rid of those flashlights. One of the lights thrown away was an old store bought early LED light that didn’t produce much more than the old incan lights. I think that is why I missed the LED revolution. When I heard LED flashlight I associated it with the early versions. I’m glad to have finally found some really powerful LED lights.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Windsurf wrote:
Can I buy more if I throw some away? I’m very new to LED flashlights so I still had some of the old incan ones around. The light they put out was embarressing compared to what the LED’s produce. I could see I would never use an incan light ever again so I threw out three of them. So my question is “Do I get credit for throwing out these old ones so maybe I can pick up another LED flashlight?”

I know, I know this is just a sad excuse to justify buying another flashlight. But I have to say it did feel good to get rid of those flashlights. One of the lights thrown away was an old store bought early LED light that didn’t produce much more than the old incan lights. I think that is why I missed the LED revolution. When I heard LED flashlight I associated it with the early versions. I’m glad to have finally found some really powerful LED lights.


I can’t say, because I didn’t start this thread. But, IMHO, you should get partial credit for throwing some away. Only partial credit because they were old incans you didn’t want any more.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 4090

Haven’t bought any lights in more than 4 months…

But “lights” doesn’t include hosts, drivers, emitters, optics… Sad

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

will34 wrote:
Haven’t bought any lights in more than 4 months…

But “lights” doesn’t include hosts, drivers, emitters, optics… Sad

Yes I use that same excuse. Found that I had so many Solarforce misc parts and pieces that I could build a whole host. No drop in just the host, so if I take it apart I too can say I have less flashlights than I had yesterday!!! Shocked

PS how come there are no flashlight emoji’s on this platform!!!

fellfromtree
fellfromtree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/25/2014 - 15:14
Posts: 470
Location: spelunking

I was hunting this month like a yooper in northen michigan. All I can say is, everyone loves a light saber. We saw so many deer 200 to 300 yards out with the light I made for my inlaw. One of my cousins kid had a $50 bushnell light and while it was pretty cool for stock, The U2 1A dedomed @~6a in a yezl was kicking it’s butt all over the place. I was coming in one night from the stand and my cousin shined it from the house and I was probably about 250 yards away and blinded me that ass.

The deer don’t seem to mind it either. We saw a big buck walking with some doe too one night. There was deer everywhere Smile Too bad it’s illegal to light them up at night. Who needs night vision. I had a good profile the first day on a big doe but I couldn’t get myself to take the shot with my compound bow lol Sat back and drank my pumpkin beer. See that’s the secret, beer.. Most necks know this but most hunters don’t. If you drink enough beer, you smell like beer. Leave the no scent and all that showering for the newbs :bigsmile:

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3572
Location: Houston, TX

I just broke down and bought the K40M from Wallbuys on the instant kill sale!!!

OscarM
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 days ago
Joined: 11/16/2012 - 14:20
Posts: 1002
Location: Sweden

i bought the BLF extra-special-everybody-wants-it flashlight some minutes ago. and i bought some batteries earlier today. otherwise it’s going fine not buying flashlights for a while!

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

I don’t own many flashlights. I don’t like having too many of anything, except money. But I have the urge to buy a Solarforce fake flashlight. I like the real Solarforce flashlights and own a few of them. They fit my needs, but the fake is a silver color and I would like one. I am afraid the fake just won’t measure up quality wise and I will shun the flashlight after it arrives. More than disliking having too many I dislike having spent money on something that is lower quality than the others. So I have been resisting buying this fake Solarforce, but I may not be able to hold out too much longer.

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA
Windsurf wrote:
I don’t own many flashlights. I don’t like having too many of anything, except money. But I have the urge to buy a Solarforce fake flashlight. I like the real Solarforce flashlights and own a few of them. They fit my needs, but the fake is a silver color and I would like one. I am afraid the fake just won’t measure up quality wise and I will shun the flashlight after it arrives. More than disliking having too many I dislike having spent money on something that is lower quality than the others. So I have been resisting buying this fake Solarforce, but I may not be able to hold out too much longer.

Well I’ve been saved by fate. Tried to order the silver L2M But they are now out of stock and the dealer says the manufactorer will not be making more!! I guess I have been saved and should feel grateful, but I’m kicking myself by not ordering it before when I wanted to.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10759
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Windsurf wrote:
Well I’ve been saved by fate. Tried to order the silver L2M But they are now out of stock and the dealer says the manufactorer will not be making more!! I guess I have been saved and should feel grateful, but I’m kicking myself by not ordering it before when I wanted to.

That’s okay, you’ll probably see something like it again eventually. And you’ll remember how much you regretted not getting it the first time. So you’ll probably buy it then, for five times as much. After that, it’s a 50-50 chance you’ll decide you were right the first time and really don’t need it.

That’s how this works, right? ;P

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

ToyKeeper wrote:
Windsurf wrote:
Well I’ve been saved by fate. Tried to order the silver L2M But they are now out of stock and the dealer says the manufactorer will not be making more!! I guess I have been saved and should feel grateful, but I’m kicking myself by not ordering it before when I wanted to.

That’s okay, you’ll probably see something like it again eventually. And you’ll remember how much you regretted not getting it the first time. So you’ll probably buy it then, for five times as much. After that, it’s a 50-50 chance you’ll decide you were right the first time and really don’t need it.

That’s how this works, right? ;P


ToyKeeper, that was just mean! Silly

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

DavidEF wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Windsurf wrote:
Well I’ve been saved by fate. Tried to order the silver L2M But they are now out of stock and the dealer says the manufactorer will not be making more!! I guess I have been saved and should feel grateful, but I’m kicking myself by not ordering it before when I wanted to.

That’s okay, you’ll probably see something like it again eventually. And you’ll remember how much you regretted not getting it the first time. So you’ll probably buy it then, for five times as much. After that, it’s a 50-50 chance you’ll decide you were right the first time and really don’t need it.

That’s how this works, right? ;P


ToyKeeper, that was just mean! Silly

No that is exactly how it works, unfortunately.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Windsurf wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Windsurf wrote:
Well I’ve been saved by fate. Tried to order the silver L2M But they are now out of stock and the dealer says the manufactorer will not be making more!! I guess I have been saved and should feel grateful, but I’m kicking myself by not ordering it before when I wanted to.

That’s okay, you’ll probably see something like it again eventually. And you’ll remember how much you regretted not getting it the first time. So you’ll probably buy it then, for five times as much. After that, it’s a 50-50 chance you’ll decide you were right the first time and really don’t need it.

That’s how this works, right? ;P


ToyKeeper, that was just mean! Silly

No that is exactly how it works, unfortunately.


The mean part was telling you about it, knowing you’re going to do it anyway. Now, there is one more possible regret added to the growing pile associated with your not buying the L2M earlier. J)

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1876

“This light is a great deal for the ___ (insert one or more of: price/size/body shape/output/modes/beam shape/throwiness/floody beam/tint), I’ll just order one more and then I’ll be happy and can stop buying lights!”

zelee
zelee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 06/04/2013 - 06:53
Posts: 1968
Location: S.E.A

that really difficult since spending money on cheap flashlight and the parts is like drugs to me Big Smile

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10759
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

I think I’ve just about exhausted the possibilities of what I can do or build with lights… but then I always think of a dozen more things.

Today I made a compact EDC light (~102mm x 24mm) with as much output as my souped-up Skyray King. Or, about 3000 lumens from a 1×18650 that is smaller than any of the Convoy S line.

Later this week the plan is to build my first MT-G2 light, in a relatively compact host (Convoy M1). Should be fun. Smile

And then I have some extremely compact 1xAA lights on the way which I think will be highly moddable and can take custom firmware. Finally some fancy firmware on a genuinely small light!

Then I have a zoomie to juice up for maximum throw. I think I can get about 200kcd to 250kcd from it, in a laser-like beam.

But then I’m done forever! Really!

Oh, except I still have a few different firmwares to write… and some interior lighting to build… and I could use a better light box… and I haven’t finished my steampunk light gun… and I haven’t played with RGBW emitters yet… and my BST still needs its driver reverse-engineered so I can reflash it… and I haven’t rainbow-anodized titanium yet… and … and… and…

I’m screwed, aren’t I?

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

Ahhhh, guys. I’m having a really really hard time trying to hold off on a JAX Z1 host. I’ve had it in my cart at Mtn the last 3 orders I placed. I don’t like zoomies and don’t want to spend $50 on one but it looks so good in shortie mode zoomed out and I have so many 26650’s.

Must resist, don’t need it…

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10759
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

CK, want mine for cheap? I can’t get the darn thing open; pill won’t unscrew.

Actually, I suppose I should ask someone who doesn’t want to mod it. And I probably shouldn’t ask in the thread about not buying lights. ;P

Oh wait, no, I’m actually helping. By offering stuff you don’t want, you won’t buy it. See how that works? Smile (okay, that was reaching a bit far)

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

Do we get a pass for the holidays? I just ordered 2 Solarforce Z-1’s as christmas gifts. (Can there be a better christmas gift than a flashlight??) Also ordered some CR123’s batteries to go with. No one has CR123’s on the shelf to make the toys work on Christmas morning! So do I get a pass or am I just using it as an excuse to buy more flashlights?

Happy Holidays :santa:

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

I guess we are cured. There haven’t been any posts in a while about members buying flashlights, so I guess we are all being good and resisting the urge…..just barely. ;>)

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8190
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Windsurf wrote:
I guess we are cured. There haven’t been any posts in a while about members buying flashlights, so I guess we are all being good and resisting the urge…..just barely. ;>)

I will start a thread about that

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

devman
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/27/2011 - 06:24
Posts: 825
Location: Hong Kong / Vancouver, Canada
Windsurf wrote:
I guess we are cured. There haven’t been any posts in a while about members buying flashlights, so I guess we are all being good and resisting the urge…..just barely. ;>)

I am… but only because of Christmas bills, too many group buys, and stuff still stuck in the mail system.
(I don’t count them until they arrive!)

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1760
Location: Alameda, CA

I think a month may be too long,

From what little I know of “A” goups I thought you got credit on a daily basis.

Monthy just seems to high a standard?

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

Windsurf
Windsurf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/2014 - 15:27
Posts: 343
Location: Boston, MA

I guess we are actually too cured. I haven’t bought any flashlights since Christmas presents. But although it is good to be cured of the flashlight on our backs, we are letting down the economy’s of both the United States and China. Now I understand why China’s GDP is shrinking. We better make the sacrifice and buy some flashlights and save teh world’s economy’s. :>)

Pages