STARTED: GBGB: Stainless steel AAA clicky with a clip (CQG S1 "clone")

627 posts / 0 new
Last post
ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 5 days ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5332
Location: US
Werner wrote:
Just search the forum there are many ways to do it, one of the easiest is to tape the center pad with kapton and then reflow it …

I have some pics of 119s reflowed with the kapton tape on the center pad here:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/25759#comment-491747

The best way is to put a small piece of tape on the entire 3 pads, then use a knife to cut and remove/expose the parts of the tape that covers the outer 2 pads. Then put some solder paste on the pads and reflow the emitter(s) – I use a heat gun for that

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

johnnydoe wrote:
Already did that but didn't see anything. Didn't want to mess with it by trying to get it out to look at the other side before gearbest responded. Tried to fix defective lights in the past and well.. It didn't work out that well Oops To illustrate that, I now have an oring from this light laying around and I don't know where to put it back. I put it around the bezel but when screwing it back on it pushed the o-ring out to the side so I assume that's not where it should go.

It's tricky to reassemble because the spring under the pill pushes everything up and the o-ring twists against the bezel before it can tighten enough to hold it flat. Get a pen or something like that. The bottom of a Sharpie fine point works perfectly. I put the spring and pill in, put the reflector in, slide the bezel over the pen, wipe the lens while you have the chance, hold the FL upright, set the lens on the reflector, set the o-ring on the end of the pen.

Now use the pen to press the lens, pushing the whole assembly into the tube (lens, reflector, pill, spring) making sure the spring didn't turn sideways, let the o-ring fall into the tube, make sure lays flat.

Keeping pressure against the lens with the pen, side the bezel down to the tube and tighten. Done.

johnnydoe
johnnydoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 08/19/2013 - 18:31
Posts: 552
Location: netherlands
Gj wrote:

johnnydoe wrote:
Already did that but didn’t see anything. Didn’t want to mess with it by trying to get it out to look at the other side before gearbest responded. Tried to fix defective lights in the past and well.. It didn’t work out that well Oops To illustrate that, I now have an oring from this light laying around and I don’t know where to put it back. I put it around the bezel but when screwing it back on it pushed the o-ring out to the side so I assume that’s not where it should go.

It’s tricky to reassemble because the spring under the pill pushes everything up and the o-ring twists against the bezel before it can tighten enough to hold it flat. Get a pen or something like that. The bottom of a Sharpie fine point works perfectly. I put the spring and pill in, put the reflector in, slide the bezel over the pen, wipe the lens while you have the chance, hold the FL upright, set the lens on the reflector, set the o-ring on the end of the pen.

Now use the pen to press the lens, pushing the whole assembly into the tube (lens, reflector, pill, spring) making sure the spring didn’t turn sideways, let the o-ring fall into the tube, make sure lays flat.

Keeping pressure against the lens with the pen, side the bezel down to the tube and tighten. Done.

Thanks, that fixed the o-ring problem!
I took the entire pill out but didn’t see anything that could point me to a problem. Leads are attached. Also switched the switches, but both switches work on the working light and none of them work on the defective one. So this will be out of my control to fix it. Might be something wrong inside the pill, but it’s all so small, even if I could get the star out the pill, I will never be able to fix it.

antiparanoico
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 1176
Location: Wandering the world.

sesgum wrote:
I ordered on 7/3 and tracking number never worked (SG**********). Still waiting…
That’s not a tracking number, it’s an internal code. The tracking number have the format “xx # # # # # # # # # SG”.

If anything can go wrong, it will.
Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

johnnydoe wrote:
Gj wrote:

johnnydoe wrote:
Already did that but didn't see anything. Didn't want to mess with it by trying to get it out to look at the other side before gearbest responded. Tried to fix defective lights in the past and well.. It didn't work out that well Oops To illustrate that, I now have an oring from this light laying around and I don't know where to put it back. I put it around the bezel but when screwing it back on it pushed the o-ring out to the side so I assume that's not where it should go.

It's tricky to reassemble because the spring under the pill pushes everything up and the o-ring twists against the bezel before it can tighten enough to hold it flat. Get a pen or something like that. The bottom of a Sharpie fine point works perfectly. I put the spring and pill in, put the reflector in, slide the bezel over the pen, wipe the lens while you have the chance, hold the FL upright, set the lens on the reflector, set the o-ring on the end of the pen.

Now use the pen to press the lens, pushing the whole assembly into the tube (lens, reflector, pill, spring) making sure the spring didn't turn sideways, let the o-ring fall into the tube, make sure lays flat.

Keeping pressure against the lens with the pen, side the bezel down to the tube and tighten. Done.

Thanks, that fixed the o-ring problem! I took the entire pill out but didn't see anything that could point me to a problem. Leads are attached. Also switched the switches, but both switches work on the working light and none of them work on the defective one. So this will be out of my control to fix it. Might be something wrong inside the pill, but it's all so small, even if I could get the star out the pill, I will never be able to fix it.

I'd say you made a great effort to solve the problem from your end, GB-CS should provide a replacement.

Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1075
Location: ATL

Well 1 week has gone by since I placed my order and the only info I have on my tracking number is that the shipment has been submitted. I’m beginning to really appreciate UPS, FEDex, DHL…. hell even the USPS is pretty darn good compared to these international shipping companies.

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

Been using the one NW I received few days ago.  Liking the light.  Since it's a single mode, I think the output is a good compromise between high output and run time.  Need to think of a good way to keep the clip from sliding.  Here is my make shift solution for now.

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Maybe Loctite (cyanoacrylate glue)? Mine has been staying in place surprisingly well on it's own so far.

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 884
Location: Springport, IN

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but does anyone have a color temperature estimate for the neutral white? Somebody mentioned that it was rather warm for NW, but how warm is it? 4000k?

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

travis
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 1012
Location: SoCal

nothing measurable, but much warmer than I like Sad

I’m willing to trade my NW for CW.

“"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.””
-George Washington

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Legolas Jr. wrote:
I apologize if this has already been addressed, but does anyone have a color temperature estimate for the neutral white? Somebody mentioned that it was rather warm for NW, but how warm is it? 4000k?

3000K-2500K?  Guesstimate by looking at the ANSI White chart, way to the right of my 5B1.

travis
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 1012
Location: SoCal

Id say ( and I am not good at this) it is in the 3000’s

Like old vanilla slimfast

“"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.””
-George Washington

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

Check it out guys did a quick little emitter swap in my first S1 clone today. Its a $.50 Nichia 119 that I got 10 of today. The light was a NW one and was 34 lumens at ~3900-4000k, this is the exact same output but a much nice 4350K. If yours is a CW I would expect to loose a few lumen, anyone measure their CW on eneloop?

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

Gj wrote:

Legolas Jr. wrote:
I apologize if this has already been addressed, but does anyone have a color temperature estimate for the neutral white? Somebody mentioned that it was rather warm for NW, but how warm is it? 4000k?

3000K-2500K?  Guesstimate by looking at the ANSI White chart, way to the right of my 5B1.


Its at least 3500k, some of my favorite emitters are XM-L2 S6 7B3’s and at 2900K they’re WAY warmer than the “NW” XP-E was in my light. I won’t disagree that’s its on the warm side of neutral but they’re without a doubt neutral. I wouldn’t call anything over 3500 warm and I’m sure there are atlease that.

What is 5B1?

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Cereal_killer wrote:
Gj wrote:

Legolas Jr. wrote:
I apologize if this has already been addressed, but does anyone have a color temperature estimate for the neutral white? Somebody mentioned that it was rather warm for NW, but how warm is it? 4000k?

3000K-2500K?  Guesstimate by looking at the ANSI White chart, way to the right of my 5B1.

Its at least 3500k, some of my favorite emitters are XM-L2 S6 7B3's and at 2900K they're WAY warmer than the "NW" XP-E was in my light. I won't disagree that's its on the warm side of neutral but they're without a doubt neutral. I wouldn't call anything over 3500 warm and I'm sure there are atlease that. What is 5B1?

5B1 is ~4200K.

 

[Aside: Why does 'warmer' refer to lower color temperatures and 'cooler' refer to higher color temperatures? Undecided]

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

Sweet C_K.  Is the high CRI version of the 119?  I have some of those and really like that tint and color rendition.

dangerous
dangerous's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/17/2014 - 04:54
Posts: 962
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

The clip color does not match the body tone. It is clear from the photos, but I didn’t really notice until I got my first one. The clip is not very stable on the light and is easily removed. The lack of apparent seems on the body is nice. Without the clip, it looks bare. For $6, I cannot complain. The output compares well with the i3s, but it uses a much smaller LED and is not as floody.

BLF

makapuu
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 07/18/2011 - 00:08
Posts: 614
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Just got mine, and I love it. The beam has a nice balance of flood and spot. When I read about the neutral white being too warm, I thought uh oh, but after I used it outside, it’s not bad at all IMO. Got some Efest 10440 arriving by Thursday, can’t wait to try those out, it’s already pretty good with alkies. Friends of mine are impressed enough that I ordered 8 more.

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

ImA4Wheelr wrote:

Sweet C_K.  Is the high CRI version of the 119?  I have some of those and really like that tint and color rendition.


They’re the “80 CRI” B09 SW50 ones from texaspyro that he clocked at 90CRI. Wish I would of got more than 10 for $5 now. Also wish I would of gotten some of the warmer ones.

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

makapuu wrote:
Just got mine, and I love it. The beam has a nice balance of flood and spot. When I read about the neutral white being too warm, I thought uh oh, but after I used it outside, it's not bad at all IMO. Got some Efest 10440 arriving by Thursday, can't wait to try those out, it's already pretty good with alkies. Friends of mine are impressed enough that I ordered 8 more.

Ni-MH is the way to go with these, IMO. 10440 makes a lot of heat and the pill is floating.

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

Yeah, 80 CRI's from TP.  That's what I was referring to.  I have the NW ones.  Really like the tint on those babies.

Beachlogger
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 23:08
Posts: 994
Location: S.E. Alaska

Does this light have a hole for a lanyard?

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

No hole…

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

It doesn't, but you just gave me a good idea on how to keep my clip from sliding.  There is very little room for error for drilling holes near the tail though.

Beachlogger
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 23:08
Posts: 994
Location: S.E. Alaska

I’d like to put a split ring when I get mine and a biner for a zipper pull, but it sounds like it won’t work. Oh well

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

I glued mine on the body with a drop of CA, I first thought also of a screw in the tailcap but I wanted to try this out first.

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

Here's a pic of the tail from the OP Beachlogger.

Don't have any measuring equipment to tell you how much lip there is to work with.  Best guess is 3/64 of an inch.  Anyone know how the tail cap comes apart?

lekvar
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 03/13/2014 - 01:29
Posts: 123
Location: Left Coast

I ordered mine ont the 7th, got a shipping confirmation on the 8th, but haven’t received the light yet. Should I be concerned?

Muto
Online
Last seen: 9 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2747
Location: Southeast, PA
lekvar wrote:
I ordered mine ont the 7th, got a shipping confirmation on the 8th, but haven’t received the light yet. Should I be concerned?

Nope.
It’s China and it can be slow, after 30 days then you are 1 week away from being concerned.
It will come, if not file Paypal dispute at 39 days.

The difference between Hoarding and Collecting is the illusion of Organization
.
.“I will get one of flashlight from patrol car”

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards

makapuu
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 07/18/2011 - 00:08
Posts: 614
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Gj wrote:

makapuu wrote:
Just got mine, and I love it. The beam has a nice balance of flood and spot. When I read about the neutral white being too warm, I thought uh oh, but after I used it outside, it’s not bad at all IMO. Got some Efest 10440 arriving by Thursday, can’t wait to try those out, it’s already pretty good with alkies. Friends of mine are impressed enough that I ordered 8 more.

Ni-MH is the way to go with these, IMO. 10440 makes a lot of heat and the pill is floating.

I agree, I’m gonna be using them with my Eneloops. The 10440’s actually are going to be used for a Vinh light I plan to order. Just curious as hell how bright they’re going to make this light.

Pages