What blade did you EDC today?

3920 posts / 0 new
Last post
xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Swabs wrote:
Thank you!

I dyed the scales this morning, and I have been carrying it all day. And since I LOVE the action on this knife, and I am extremely happy with the dye job, I will be carrying it a lot.

That actually looks quite nice! Still kept the semi-translucent effect. So you exposed the scales to about 15 secs of boiling hot water with the purple dye?
Swabs
Swabs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2019 - 11:41
Posts: 456
Location: California

Thank you! Yes, for fifteen seconds.

Once the water with the dye starts to boil, I dip the scales in. The trick is to not use too much dye, and to check the scales initially at about ten to fifteen seconds to get an idea of how dark the dye is. I was super happy at initial check, so I stopped there.

I showed my neighbor and he wants to buy the knife from me, LOL.

My Future's So Bright...well, my flashlights are anyways.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1630
Location: MN

Both those dye jobs look absolutely phenomenal IMO. I know the Bugout probably looks darker in person but there’s could be a fun element to it changing color a bit under bright light or sunlight.

Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 239

Swabs wrote:
I went with purple Rit Dye More. I poured very little dye into the pot with some white vinegar, and several drops of Ajax dish soap. Brought the pot to a low roll boil and dipped the scales in for fifteen seconds and pulled them out to check color. It was perfect at fifteen seconds for the shade I wanted. I still wanted the translucent effect from the original natural jade color.

This is awesome. It looks like a translucent lavender.

After you dip the scales, do you rinse or wash them? If so, how long after you dip them?

Swabs
Swabs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2019 - 11:41
Posts: 456
Location: California

Thank you! A lovely lavender, yes, yes, yes. I didn’t think of that. I’m so happy I was able to keep the translucent effect.

After I dip the scales I place them in the freezer for ten minutes. After that I rinse them off under cool water. Then I wipe them down with a cotton pad and isopropyl alcohol. Zero color bleed.

I always follow these steps since that’s how I was told to do it by a member on an EDC knife forum a long while back. Some members on that forum said all those steps weren’t necessary, but it worked perfectly for me, so I just do it.

My Future's So Bright...well, my flashlights are anyways.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17535
Location: Amsterdam

So we were RIT dying Smile
I died the scales of my Civivi Elementum with micarta scales. It was a middle brown colour (have a before-picture somewhere) and I dyed it, very short this time, I learn Flat Stare , with RIT Dye More in racing red. The bright red on the brown gave this lovely tint (colour corrected picture, so pretty right).

Swabs
Swabs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2019 - 11:41
Posts: 456
Location: California

Love it!!!

Very rich looking red on an elegant knife design. Thumbs Up

My Future's So Bright...well, my flashlights are anyways.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1622
Location: EU

Huge, light weight & awesome: Green Thorn F111 3D alu: Smile

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15314
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

djozz wrote:

Looks amazing!  :LOVE:

 
xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

djozz wrote:
So we were RIT dying Smile
I died the scales of my Civivi Elementum with micarta scales. It was a middle brown colour (have a before-picture somewhere) and I dyed it, very short this time, I learn Flat Stare , with RIT Dye More in racing red. The bright red on the brown gave this lovely tint (colour corrected picture, so pretty right).

That really does look wonderful. Nice deep “brick red” tone. Great work, djozz! Thumbs Up
xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

isti242 wrote:
Huge, light weight & awesome: Green Thorn F111 3D alu: Smile
I wasn’t aware of the Green Thorn brand until reading a few of your posts. Really nice machining & designs. How robust is the aluminum scales? It’s usually a soft metal, unless well blended as an alloy. I’ll never forget dropping an aluminum flashlight like 3 feet to a hard wood floor, sadly seeing the bezel dent inward. Soft! It was an old Fenix.
isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1622
Location: EU

Green Thorn makes amazing folders even in the $60 range. Their F95 nudist made a reference point for what can be achieved in this price range.
The handle of this F111 made of some sort of aviation aluminium alloy with an anodized finish so I’m not affraid of scratches. Dropping the knife would be a different story.
Since the titanium version of the GT F111 costs five times more I guess I can live with this aluminium handle version. Smile

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1622
Location: EU

Another one has landed today!
Petrified Fish PF919 Cool :

Rat_Racer
Rat_Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2016 - 19:29
Posts: 337
Location: S.W. FLA
isti242 wrote:
Another one has landed today! Petrified Fish PF919 Cool :

Man, blade shapes are getting more and more bizarre.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

isti242 wrote:
Green Thorn makes amazing folders even in the $60 range. Their F95 nudist made a reference point for what can be achieved in this price range.
The handle of this F111 made of some sort of aviation aluminium alloy with an anodized finish so I’m not affraid of scratches. Dropping the knife would be a different story.
Since the titanium version of the GT F111 costs five times more I guess I can live with this aluminium handle version. Smile
Good to know, thanks! Will check out the F95. In general, how does Green Thorn compare to Petrified Fish?
Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 239
chinooker wrote:
That blade requires explantion to me to be one I need.

The 919 has an interesting shape but break it down. The sharpened part of the blade is a very practical shape that we’ve seen on plenty of knives. Two things make it radical. First is the straight line back to that pronounced point on the spine. That’s reminiscent of some “harpoon” designs that seem purely aesthetic to me. Second is that second point on the spine which makes for two distinct thumb rest positions. Functionally, that’s not so different from some knives with a thumb riser such as the Ganzo FH71. You’ve got an early spot for your thumb and a spot for if you want to use a more forward grip. The choice here is obviously artistic but in practice, it should be okay so long as it lines up for your hand size.

Like some of the other PF knives, it’s on sale now. If anyone else orders it, I’d love to hear feedback down the road.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000994246527.html

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1622
Location: EU

The first thumb rest position on the blade spine fits my mid sized hands perfectly, the second one is good for my index finger for precise cutting.

Regarding attention to details have a look at the lock bar & the flipper tab on the PF919. Everything is nicely rounded and chamfered. The corner of the lock bar is not exposed, it’s rounded and flush with the flipper tab. That’s a good measure of attention to details in my book.

TwoSun usually screws that up at their budget models. For example I could slit open my thumb easily on my new TS66-G10 because the exposed corner of the lock bar is that sharp. Luckily that can be fixed with a dremel easily but it’s still annoying.

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1622
Location: EU
xevious wrote:
isti242 wrote:
Green Thorn makes amazing folders even in the $60 range. Their F95 nudist made a reference point for what can be achieved in this price range. The handle of this F111 made of some sort of aviation aluminium alloy with an anodized finish so I’m not affraid of scratches. Dropping the knife would be a different story. Since the titanium version of the GT F111 costs five times more I guess I can live with this aluminium handle version. Smile
Good to know, thanks! Will check out the F95. In general, how does Green Thorn compare to Petrified Fish?

Green Thorn is focused on the mid (titanium with D2) and high-end range (titanium with M390, S90V) while Petrified Fish recent models excell in the budget category.

Have a look at my review about the 1st generation of the Green Thorn F95.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

isti242 wrote:
Green Thorn is focused on the mid (titanium with D2) and high-end range (titanium with M390, S90V) while Petrified Fish recent models excell in the budget category.

Have a look at my review about the 1st generation of the Green Thorn F95.

Thanks! Looks beautifully minimalist. The Bear F95 with grooved scales looks gorgeous. I like how the lanyard hole is provided on it versus on the regular F95.
Chronovore
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 10/12/2019 - 13:24
Posts: 239
xevious wrote:
isti242 wrote:
Green Thorn is focused on the mid (titanium with D2) and high-end range (titanium with M390, S90V) while Petrified Fish recent models excell in the budget category…
Thanks! Looks beautifully minimalist. The Bear F95 with grooved scales looks gorgeous. I like how the lanyard hole is provided on it versus on the regular F95.

It should look good. It’s copying a great knife. Being a knock-off is a con on its own for some people. In my experience with other brands, that usually doesn’t bode well for the veracity of the steel stamp. Has anyone tested the steel on these?

wraithpc
wraithpc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 09/25/2018 - 02:30
Posts: 28

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 2506
Location: Foley, MO

djozz wrote:
So we were RIT dying Smile
I died the scales of my Civivi Elementum with micarta scales. It was a middle brown colour (have a before-picture somewhere) and I dyed it, very short this time, I learn Flat Stare , with RIT Dye More in racing red. The bright red on the brown gave this lovely tint (colour corrected picture, so pretty right).

!{width:80%}https://i.imgur.com/daKvoDq.jpeg!

Looks great. I have a demascus bladed, carbon fiber scaled Elementum. One of my favorite knives, I carry it often.

Got these two the last few days and have been carrying them as well. CJRB Ria and a Gerber Kettlebell. I always grab the Gerber when it’s on sale. Walmart and Academy will have them for around $15 or less on sale. I’ve found Kettlebell’s in the clearance tub for $5 a few different times at Academy.

2020-06-20-23-40-11-420ss

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

Lobster
Lobster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2016 - 12:34
Posts: 169
wraithpc wrote:
!https://i.imgur.com/RAl1wTq.jpg!

What are we looking at here?

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1622
Location: EU
Lobster wrote:
wraithpc wrote:
!https://i.imgur.com/RAl1wTq.jpg!

What are we looking at here?

I guess a nicely anodized Grimsmo Norseman. Smile

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 524
Location: France

Very nice budget knife! Big Smile

Flashlights, blades & beer
Let’s stay relatively optimist!

Thro
Thro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 12/16/2017 - 01:55
Posts: 160
Location: Belgium
wraithpc wrote:
!https://i.imgur.com/RAl1wTq.jpg!

Omg Shocked a grimsmo norseman pandemic, how did you get so lucky Love

wraithpc
wraithpc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 09/25/2018 - 02:30
Posts: 28

Hit the site at just the right time! My camera does not do it justice. Yes it is a Pandemic Grimsmo Norseman.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

wraithpc wrote:
Hit the site at just the right time! My camera does not do it justice. Yes it is a Pandemic Grimsmo Norseman.
Gorgeous scales.So beautifully done. I thought I’d check out their site… OMG… over $900! Shocked
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 13729
Location: nyc

Eep! Now imagine it getting taken away from you at the airport…

That’s one that’d definitely be sitting behind glass on a shelf somewhere, not carried.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1877
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Lightbringer wrote:
Eep! Now imagine it getting taken away from you at the airport…

That’s one that’d definitely be sitting behind glass on a shelf somewhere, not carried.

I feel the same way. I carry only my sub $75 knives. The ones costing more stay home & see light duty… because ownership is more about appreciating the design & quality (I want them to last as long as possible). After the economic stresses are finally over, I’ll probably shift gears & get duplicates so I won’t feel the need to restrain myself.

But yeah, $500 is one cost threshold I am pretty far from crossing… and almost double is entering the “knife sculpture” category, something that’s really more of a work of art than something to use & carry casually.

Pages