The Daily Riddle Thread

149 posts / 0 new
Last post
VFMaddict
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2011 - 08:47
Posts: 1454
Location: London

Well that depends if they were both going to the same airport. London has three and all are different distances……… Silly But we’ll assume that if they ever do meet they are at the same airport………………..somewhere :bigsmile:

"You are making progress if each mistake you make is a new one."

Remember - Most great discoveries start with maki

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7720
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Legolas Jr. wrote:
There are two planes. One is going from New York to London at a speed of 600 MPH. The other is traveling from London to New York at a speed of 500 MPH. When the planes meet which one will be closer to London?

 

 The one coming from London will be approx. 683 feet closer to London . Because meeting would be considered the two planes meeting nose to nose whereas the plane from londons tail is the length of the plane closer than the one heading from New York .

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17281
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Boaz wrote:

 The one coming from London will be approx. 683 feet closer to London . Because meeting would be considered the two planes meeting nose to nose whereas the plane from londons tail is the length of the plane closer than the one heading from New York .

Nice!   8)

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

Boaz wrote:

Legolas Jr. wrote:
There are two planes. One is going from New York to London at a speed of 600 MPH. The other is traveling from London to New York at a speed of 500 MPH. When the planes meet which one will be closer to London?

 

 The one coming from London will be approx. 683 feet closer to London . Because meeting would be considered the two planes meeting nose to nose whereas the plane from londons tail is the length of the plane closer than the one heading from New York .


Smart aleck! Wink

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

It’s hard to give up. Remove part of it and you still have a bit. Remove another part, but bit is still there. Remove another and it remains. What is it?

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 4108
Legolas Jr. wrote:
It’s hard to give up. Remove part of it and you still have a bit. Remove another part, but bit is still there. Remove another and it remains. What is it?

A LED dome?

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN
will34 wrote:
Legolas Jr. wrote:
It’s hard to give up. Remove part of it and you still have a bit. Remove another part, but bit is still there. Remove another and it remains. What is it?

A LED dome?

:bigsmile:
Keep guessing…

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Legolas Jr. wrote:
It’s hard to give up.

habit
Quote:
Remove part of it and you still have a bit.

literally “a bit” if you remove the “h”
Quote:
Remove another part, but bit is still there.

yep, “bit” is there when you remove the “a”
Quote:
Remove another and it remains.

remove the “b” and “it” remains
Quote:
What is it?

Yes, the word “habit”.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

Yep!

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

There is a brick of gold and a brick of iron in a boat (both 10 inch blocks), if they are both dropped into the water which will make the water level higher?

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

sandanbob
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 15:28
Posts: 390

Neither, as they are the same volume. If, however, they were the same weight, then we would have to take into consideration the density of each.

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 6775
Location: Holland

A plane with 168 passengers crashes on the border of 3 neighboring countries, country A,B and C. Half of them passed away. Half of them got burried in country A, the other half in Country B. Where did the other 84 people get burried?

sixty545
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 10/25/2010 - 14:15
Posts: 702
Location: Denmark (GMT + 1)

Legolas Jr. wrote:
There is a brick of gold and a brick of iron in a boat (both 10 inch blocks), if they are both dropped into the water which will make the water level higher?

the last one dropped into the water!

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

ChibiM wrote:

A plane with 168 passengers crashes on the border of 3 neighboring countries, country A,B and C. Half of them passed away. Half of them got burried in country A, the other half in Country B. Where did the other 84 people get burried?


Wherever the family chooses to bury them after they finally pass away some day.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7720
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

The gold brick ....because me and 22 other people are jumping in after it 

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 6775
Location: Holland

DavidEF wrote:
ChibiM wrote:

A plane with 168 passengers crashes on the border of 3 neighboring countries, country A,B and C. Half of them passed away. Half of them got burried in country A, the other half in Country B. Where did the other 84 people get burried?

Wherever the family chooses to bury them after they finally pass away some day.

smart guy

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

It can split granite, yet a child can break it up easily.
You can’t breathe it, yet your lungs wouldn’t work without it.
It exists pretty much everywhere, yet people die for lack of it.

What is it?

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

sandanbob
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 15:28
Posts: 390

Water. Smile

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

sandanbob wrote:
Water. Smile

Well, I was actually thinking about Dihydrogen Monoxide, but I guess water will work too. Wink

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

sandanbob
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 15:28
Posts: 390

Why, David, you are right! What was I thinking? Smile

I reread the iron and gold brick one, and the answer is:

both of them.

VFMaddict
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2011 - 08:47
Posts: 1454
Location: London

A man is fishing from a boat on a lake. He hooks an old metal anchor. He hauls it aboard. Will the water level in the lake rise or fall?

"You are making progress if each mistake you make is a new one."

Remember - Most great discoveries start with maki

sandanbob
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 15:28
Posts: 390

I would say rise.

While in the water, the anchor takes up a certain volume, regardless of weight.

Once the anchor is brought into the boat, the boat will settle, displacing the amount of water equivalent to the weight of the anchor. Whereas the density of the anchor is greater than water, this displacement will be greater than that of the anchor itself.

However- would it actually be noticeable? Or, measurable? I would say probably not.

VFMaddict
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2011 - 08:47
Posts: 1454
Location: London

Spot on.

"You are making progress if each mistake you make is a new one."

Remember - Most great discoveries start with maki

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

Take away my first letter, and I still sound the same. Take away my last letter, I still sound the same. Even take away my letter in the middle, I will still sound the same. I am a five letter word. What am I?

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8864
Location: Eastern PA

Actually only the gold block will end up increasing the water level because the iron block will rust and dissolve into the water itself where the gold block will remain in it's original volume.

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

A ladder hangs over the side of a ship anchored in a port. The bottom rung touches the water. The distance between rungs is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the rate of 15 cm each hour.
When will the water reach the seventh rung from the top?

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Legolas Jr. wrote:
A ladder hangs over the side of a ship anchored in a port. The bottom rung touches the water. The distance between rungs is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the rate of 15 cm each hour.
When will the water reach the seventh rung from the top?

One hour and 20 minutes!

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17281
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Legolas Jr. wrote:
A ladder hangs over the side of a ship anchored in a port. The bottom rung touches the water. The distance between rungs is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the rate of 15 cm each hour.
When will the water reach the seventh rung from the top?

If I understand the situation, the answer is never.

Or at least until it starts raining.   Silly

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

Raccoon City’s got it! The tide is rising, which means that since the ship is floating on the water, it will rise along with the tide, and the water will never go above that first rung. :bigsmile:

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 883
Location: Springport, IN

How do you make the number one disappear?

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

Pages