Olight Factory Dedomed Light?

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
how2
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2489
Location: london

LSX wrote:
I want to know how they are getting it sooo clean!

 

Maybe they ask Cree not to put a Doom

LSX
LSX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 08:38
Posts: 1456
Location: Perth, Australia

If that’s the case, then we should be getting a retailer to ask Cree to do the same

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18149
Location: Amsterdam

nah, dedoming a led with all related uncertainties is part of the fun of the hobby Smile

LSX
LSX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 08:38
Posts: 1456
Location: Perth, Australia
djozz wrote:

nah, dedoming a led with all related uncertainties is part of the fun of the hobby Smile

LOL, I like the outcome of a de-domed LED, but if I can remove the process required to get there I will be all over that!

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

Looks like this one is running at the 3A range to make those numbers.

We usually de-dome for maximum throw, and with that in mind we also push the envelope on power. Most of mine are in the 6A range, with some approaching 7A. How long the emitter will last is no longer really relevant. How long did yesteryears tungsten bulbs last? 20 hours? Yeah, even pushed hard and naked the LED’s will last a long long time.

I would imagine Olight is sealing the bare die to prevent damage to the bond wires. I don’t worry about it myself, but if someone is opening up and playing with one of these it’s sure easy to bump a bond wire and snap it.

My Olight SR-90 Intimidator is running an XM-L2 U2 1A, de-domed, at 6.67A and making 610Kcd with well rested battery pack. Smile

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

After reading that “Chinglish” translation it certainly appears that it has a step down. After 5 1/2 minutes or something then 60% output??? Can not make it all out!

That should be expected w/ 1 × 18650 and all that output.

Its big brother, the M3X that I have has NO step down, does not get hot and can run on max[mostly] the duration of the battery charge. That of course has 2 × 18650.

This little brother looks impressive! 8)

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

Hey guys, take a good hard look at that close-up of the de-domed emitter. Is it just me or is that top bond wire out of place?

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 days ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

DBCstm wrote:
Hey guys, take a good hard look at that close-up of the de-domed emitter. Is it just me or is that top bond wire out of place?

Where are the wires ??? Shocked

Also here, I do not see them

http://www.wavien.com/shop/cree-xm-l2-de-domed/

Sorry for my bad English…

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 54 min ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8867
Location: Eastern PA

DBCstm wrote:
Hey guys, take a good hard look at that close-up of the de-domed emitter. Is it just me or is that top bond wire out of place? !{width:50%}http://imageshack.com/a/img537/2076/bpsAgg.jpg!:http://imageshack.com/a/...'s funny because you are absolutely correct.  The bond wire in their photo is broken.   Here is a pic of one that isn't.  There is an obvious difference between the two.

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

Also looks like the ESD protection diode wire is broken (not that that matters).

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston

DBCstm wrote:
Looks like this one is running at the 3A range to make those numbers.

We usually de-dome for maximum throw, and with that in mind we also push the envelope on power. Most of mine are in the 6A range, with some approaching 7A. How long the emitter will last is no longer really relevant. How long did yesteryears tungsten bulbs last? 20 hours? Yeah, even pushed hard and naked the LED’s will last a long long time.

I would imagine Olight is sealing the bare die to prevent damage to the bond wires. I don’t worry about it myself, but if someone is opening up and playing with one of these it’s sure easy to bump a bond wire and snap it.

My Olight SR-90 Intimidator is running an XM-L2 U2 1A, de-domed, at 6.67A and making 610Kcd with well rested battery pack. Smile

610Kcd …..Hero Light…. Dang!!!!!!!
Need to put that SR90 reflector with lens I bought a couple of years ago to work!

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

I need to take a better look at the spec’s on it, wonder if there’s an UCLp lens that fits it?

Can’t wait to see how it proves out…

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 4113

I highly doubt the dedome was done by Olight, with each dedome there is a different outcome and greatly altering the product’s consistency. more likely it came domeless from the factory.

What would be the MOQ (minimum order quantity) for cree to manufacture a domeless led? I think we should find out…

LSX
LSX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 08:38
Posts: 1456
Location: Perth, Australia

will34 wrote:
I highly doubt the dedome was done by Olight, with each dedome there is a different outcome and greatly altering the product’s consistency. more likely it came domeless from the factory.

What would be the MOQ (minimum order quantity) for cree to manufacture a domeless led? I think we should find out…

I agree.

Even better would be to organise it through a vendor like IOS so we can buy the factory de-domed emitters on Noctigons etc.

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2446
Location: Malaysia

Thrunite took the risk to overdrive the LED, and now Olight take the risk to dedome them. Beer I hope to see more and more manufacturers to take this approach. How about Maxtoch? Big Smile

I believe Olight did use LED Seal or similar thing on the die surface, as we know these manufacturers are careful with their products and don’t want the customers to keep returning the flashlights back to them. And man, that dedomed is really clean. I always use gasoline method and only got the result very clean once or twice. Heat-dedome method might come cleaner but that requires some skills – How many emitters do they need to sacrifice in order to make their workers expert in it? Silly

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

With the right set-up, I can see them dunking 1000 emitters in gasoline overnight, upside down, and returning in the morning to find 1000 domes on the bottom of the tank. Wink No skills required.

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2446
Location: Malaysia

Gas method works very well, but you can’t always get that clean and perfect dedome result as shown in their picture. Unless they have modified their gasoline formula to specifically fit for LED dedome. Big Smile

Pregulla
Pregulla's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 07:34
Posts: 806

They may be cutting the dome close to the die and not completely dedoming the led

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2446
Location: Malaysia

Pregulla wrote:
They may be cutting the dome close to the die and not completely dedoming the led

Then we will see some leftover dome material around the die but from the picture I can’t see any. Anyway I’ve never see the real thing so I can’t say for sure. Smile
JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 2601
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Ultrasonics + specialized solvent maybe?

https://fundrazr.com/osturaband

No affiliation, just a fan.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

I have found that if the gasoline and ambient temperature are in the 90 degree range (F), the dome falls off clean, especially if soaked over 4 hours (typically falls off around 2 hours). Also the gas needs to be fresh. It takes so little gasoline to accomplish it, I’m sure they’ve built a tank and do many emitters at a time. Then a rinse tank to soak and clean off the gas and they’re up and running.

The few lights I’ve done for friends I’ve had the de-domes come out beautifully clean, while I tent to rush my own and they aren’t quite as nice. But now I mostly use the heat method, in the light using the heat of the die itself while on Turbo mode. This takes so little time and works so nicely that it’s about the only way I do the de-dome’s anymore.

The hot de-dome usually leaves some of the dome material around the bond wires and I leave it there to help support em, and so as not to break them in trying to be too picky. Wink

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

I totally destroyed the stock XM-L2 in my Courui D01 I bought from Gearbest recently. I was trying to squeeze the dome off. No heat, no gasoline. I thought I’d be cool and just rip it off the top. Obviously, that didn’t work, but it was fun trying! Large chunks of the phosphor coating stuck to the dome. I never did find the bond wires. I couldn’t see them on the die, nor on the bottom of the dome. I never thought silicone could stick so well to anything! Well, it was stuck good to that XM-L2 die! Maybe next time, I’ll try gasoline.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

Trial by Fire? Smile

I killed about 8 of the little buggers trying to hot rod my TK61… fried crispy critturs.

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

10 to 1, they are buying the leds from Cree with no dome. After all, for Cree, it would be cheaper. They wouldn't have to put the domes on, so it would save them money and the would probably charge an extra fee for not putting them on. I think you have to at least buy a full reel, to get Cree to even answer you. Probably more than a full reel, so Olight will probably have de-domed leds for the next ten years or so.Tongue Out

Personally, I could care less. Never been interested in a small spot of light that reaches out way farther than my old decrepit eyes can see. More than about 50 yards and I can't see anything anyhow.Frown

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3664
Location: Houston, TX

Old-Lumens wrote:

10 to 1, they are buying the leds from Cree with no dome. After all, for Cree, it would be cheaper. They wouldn't have to put the domes on, so it would save them money and the would probably charge an extra fee for not putting them on. I think you have to at least buy a full reel, to get Cree to even answer you. Probably more than a full reel, so Olight will probably have de-domed leds for the next ten years or so.Tongue Out

Personally, I could care less. Never been interested in a small spot of light that reaches out way farther than my old decrepit eyes can see. More than about 50 yards and I can't see anything anyhow.Frown

I agree. Makes me want a de-domed light now, especially when they can be sold in a light with warranty intact. 

gorky
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 08:42
Posts: 159
Location: Croatia

I’m interested did they adjust the reflector for dedomed LED. I’ve tried almost everything with Jacob A60 reflector and dedomed xm-l2, but didn’t manage to avoid bright ring around hotspot. I realy love compact A60, and it’s ability to throw far, great for hunting.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3664
Location: Houston, TX

This light shows to be available at Banggood for $119 as of now.

http://www.banggood.com/Olight-M2X-UT-Javelot-CREE-XM-L2-810M-Tactical-L...

gorky
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 08:42
Posts: 159
Location: Croatia

Rusty Joe wrote:

This light shows to be available at Banggood for $119 as of now.

http://www.banggood.com/Olight-M2X-UT-Javelot-CREE-XM-L2-810M-Tactical-LED-Flashlight-p-954561.html 


Not really:“Expected restock on 17th November 2014”
Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3664
Location: Houston, TX

gorky wrote:
Rusty Joe wrote:

This light shows to be available at Banggood for $119 as of now.

http://www.banggood.com/Olight-M2X-UT-Javelot-CREE-XM-L2-810M-Tactical-L...

Not really:"Expected restock on 17th November 2014"

lol It didn't say that about 10 minutes ago, but if Calvin has them I will buy from him. 

gorky
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 08:42
Posts: 159
Location: Croatia

Great, then you will be the one to answer couple question.

Pages