-

76 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6387
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
-

Deleted)

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Edited by: DBSAR on 08/10/2016 - 00:23
how2
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2489
Location: london

PIC please

Box
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 08/26/2014 - 06:53
Posts: 636
Location: Australia

I know how you feel mate Sad
My S10 stopped working one day. It wasn’t the tail cap. So I decided to try to get the bezel off with hot water and a blowtorch. Didn’t move so I tried a few different clamps and pliers. Still didn’t move.

Went on eBay to buy a watch case remover tool. Waited a week for that to come. Tried it still no luck. Got pissed off. Pulled the vise grips out. Kept slipping and marking the bezel. So I did it a bit tighter than bam bent the bezel. Still didn’t get it off lol so it sits in some draw now.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Don’t throw it out, just put it away till your clear headed again.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

bushwhacked
bushwhacked's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 11/22/2012 - 20:18
Posts: 537
Location: NovaScotia, Canada

Aww man. You gotta have something bigger to shoot it with.

P60dropins.com (just a redirect for now)

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18072
Location: Amsterdam

My Olight S20 has the green badness as well. I was going to swap the led at some point.....

Sorry for your loss!

LowLumen
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 21:15
Posts: 418
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA

Stuff like this forced me to make a rule not to buy lights that are glued together or are otherwise not mod-able.

Having older XP-G and XP-E lights that are ripe to be upgraded to XP-L, XP-G2, …but can’t get them opened up? Yeah, most frustrating. Olight & Fenix are a couple that make nice lights but hard to get open without damage.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
Don’t throw it out, just put it away till your clear headed again.

if i don’t mess it up to much i may try to get it apart later. If it still fights me and it gets damaged more than it already is, i will take it to the Skeet Range next weekend and launch it off the skeet launcher and see how well it stands up to a buckshot load. (i will do a video if i do.)


I would use an angle grinder to put some notches in the top, find a large screwdriver or something similar to hold it in place and use some vice grips on it

I am curious why you did not reach out to olight and tell them the tint is unacceptable

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 4745
Location: California

To get the bezel off did you try one of those rubber pads from the grocery store?

1. Place pad in palm of left hand
2. Hold light in right hand and press bezel into the pad
3. Turn to unscrew bezel.

I’ve also used the same technique with indoor rubber stairway grip tape from Office Depot.
1. Cut a piece of grip tape.
2. Stick it to the front of the bezel
3. Hold light in right hand and press firmly into palm of left hand.
4. Unscrew
5. If you have trouble gripping the light, wrap a piece of grip tape around it too. Gives you much more gripping power.

Not sure if this method would work on a glued bezel though. When did Olight start gluing their bezels?

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Firelight2 wrote:
To get the bezel off did you try one of those rubber pads from the grocery store?

1. Place pad in palm of left hand
2. Hold light in right hand and press bezel into the pad
3. Turn to unscrew bezel.

I’ve also used the same technique with indoor rubber stairway grip tape from Office Depot.
1. Cut a piece of grip tape.
2. Stick it to the front of the bezel
3. Hold light in right hand and press firmly into palm of left hand.
4. Unscrew
5. If you have trouble gripping the light, wrap a piece of grip tape around it too. Gives you much more gripping power.

Not sure if this method would work on a glued bezel though. When did Olight start gluing their bezels?


I think he has gone far beyond this already
I have one thats more then a year old and its glued

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2585
Location: Sweden

Get a baseball bat, two friends and fix the problem Office Space style

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
djozz wrote:

My Olight S20 has the green badness as well. I was going to swap the led at some point…..

Sorry for your loss!

Swapping the LED wont fix the green tint.
I tried that with my S15 already with many emitters in it, ( various XM-Ls and XM-L2s, 3B, 4C, 3C, Warm Whites, and even tried XP-G2s, with and without the lens all give the nauseating green tint because of a poorly designed reflector angle. Once i swapped out the original reflector to a TIR optic in the S15, the tint is now perfect neutral white with a TIR optic and a 3B XM-L2.


mine does not have the green tint problem, they must have used a different reflector on it, though i have not used it in probably a year or so, its still in its original box

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
djozz wrote:

My Olight S20 has the green badness as well. I was going to swap the led at some point…..

Sorry for your loss!

Swapping the LED wont fix the green tint.
I tried that with my S15 already with many emitters in it, ( various XM-Ls and XM-L2s, 3B, 4C, 3C, Warm Whites, and even tried XP-G2s, with and without the lens all give the nauseating green tint because of a poorly designed reflector angle. Once i swapped out the original reflector to a TIR optic in the S15, the tint is now perfect neutral white with a TIR optic and a 3B XM-L2.


mine does not have the green tint problem, they must have used a different reflector on it, though i have not used it in probably a year or so, its still in its original box

The OP reflectored models were better than these new smooth reflector ones. This S20 with the smooth reflector is the worst green hue i ever seen from any flashlight.


let me check what mine is

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

bushwhacked
bushwhacked's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 11/22/2012 - 20:18
Posts: 537
Location: NovaScotia, Canada
DBSAR wrote:
bushwhacked wrote:
Aww man. You gotta have something bigger to shoot it with.

I have my moose hunting rifle. A Browning A-Bolt 300 Win. Mag.
I could put it on the target stand at the shooting range, and hit it with a 220-grain solid big-game load at 20 meters to see how it fares up.

My brother has a rem700 300wm. That’s some power there. Put the O back in Olight. Much better than some buckshot.

P60dropins.com (just a redirect for now)

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 4745
Location: California
DBSAR wrote:
djozz wrote:

My Olight S20 has the green badness as well. I was going to swap the led at some point…..

Sorry for your loss!

Swapping the LED wont fix the green tint.
I tried that with my S15 already with many emitters in it, ( various XM-Ls and XM-L2s, 3B, 4C, 3C, Warm Whites, and even tried XP-G2s, with and without the lens all give the nauseating green tint because of a poorly designed reflector angle. Once i swapped out the original reflector to a TIR optic in the S15, the tint is now perfect neutral white with a TIR optic and a 3B XM-L2.

I think swapping the LED does fix the tint as long as you swap in a Nichia 219.

For CREE LEDs changing the lens helps, but doesn’t go all the way. Sounds like a TIR is the way to go.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

mine is slight OP, i’m glad to see its still working, and the tint is NW

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

You should write an article for here
http://www.designnews.com/archives.asp?section_id=1367

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
mine is slight OP, i’m glad to see its still working, and the tint is NW

I just tried a battery back in mine and it it toast. The driver is doing the same thing my original S20 did, it now only glows and flickers, even dimmer than the moonlight mode.
Off to the trash it will go.


thre are no suitable replacement drivers out there?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8338
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
Bort wrote:
mine is slight OP, i’m glad to see its still working, and the tint is NW

I just tried a battery back in mine and it it toast. The driver is doing the same thing my original S20 did, it now only glows and flickers, even dimmer than the moonlight mode.
Off to the trash it will go.


there are no suitable replacement drivers out there?

Not for this, because of its compact side-switch design. I tried to find something when the first S20 i had failed while i was using it, but nothing was available even close to fitting this light.
i firmly believe these S-series lights are just very expensive disposable flashlights.


thats a real kick in the arse, you should still hold onto them in case drivers become available in the future

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

ryansoh3
ryansoh3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 5 days ago
Joined: 08/04/2012 - 08:21
Posts: 3890
Location: US

I feel your pain too. Some may think we’re crazy, destroying a $$ light in pursuit of a better tint.

BLF ≠ B-grade Flashlight Forum

 

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 4745
Location: California
DBSAR wrote:
… Not for this, because of its compact side-switch design. I tried to find something when the first S20 i had failed while i was using it, but nothing was available even close to fitting this light. i firmly believe these S-series lights are just very expensive disposable flashlights.

Try this for a driver:

Take a Nanjg 105C with DrJones electronic switch firmware (or star momentary firmware from RMM). File down the edges of the driver. This will then sit at the end of the pill rather than inside the pill.

File down the pill so the driver sits closer to the switch hole.

Discard the stock driver and switch. Buy a replacement microswitch (I found some tiny ones on Ebay for cheap that work well. Was only a few $ for 50 of them too). Glue the replacement microswitch to the top of the driver with a large amount of arctic alumina.

Then glue the new driver onto the end of the pill. Should be good to go.

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

Give yourself a challenge, shoot it right in that green eye.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

gadabout
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 23:11
Posts: 888
Location: Melbourne, Australia

I seem to remember reading extensively about this problem several months ago. The conclusion drawn at the time was that the green tint was a result of the AR coating.

It is quite noticeable on my S10 (XM-L); less so on my S15 (XM-L2). Comparing the two lenses there is definitely more of a purple hue visible on the S10.  I don't have the S20.

if the bezel is non-removable anyway that doesn't seem to be much point in trying to work out how to change emitters or drivers to cure the problem.

Sorry to hear yours has been so stubborn DBSAR. I guess Olight really doesn't want customers messing with them. As you say, not much good in terms of making repairs if anything ever goes wrong.

gadabout
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 23:11
Posts: 888
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Well, that disproves that theory then!

I haven't heard that about the reflectors before. You'd think other makers would fall into a similar trap then?

Again, just to muddy the waters, my S10 with LOP reflector is greener than my S15 with smooth. Which seems to be exactly the opposite of your S20.

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Pics…seriously

Haven’t others modified an Olight S20 before…give us measurements of the driver and whatnot

I guarantee you there are some her that can whip you up a board Wink

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Is that a boost circuit AA/AAA type light?

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

OK gotcha

That is one HELL of a funky driver ain’t it

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

What, it can’t stand up to a measley rifle round?

Brian, it might be easier to make a stacked linear or DD driver using one of those edge mount switches than to try and duplicate that thing.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Yeah, what a cluster hump of design…definitely not an amateur build for sure

Ricflair
Ricflair's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/16/2012 - 08:24
Posts: 945
Location: Louisiana, USA

I have never owned a Olight. I have been thinking hard, lately, about that new rechargeable one. But, I can’t mentally handle that green tint. I have it on a few lights from SF that suffer from this affliction! That’s enough. I have designated those as hard use lights, and to wife & vehicle usage only.

So, I guess I am a official member of the TEGT (That’s Enough Green Tint) Party.

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea the reflector could cause so much “damage”.

RicFlair is on the air with blonde hair & pink underwear!! Whaoooooo!

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

I bought an Olight S20 off eBay a few months back. Got a real good price, too! It has a smooth reflector (which I like better than OP) and the tint seems to be perfect to my untrained eye (well, untrained, yet I consider myself to have a good sense of color). It is a nice neutral white with no yellow, green, purple, or any other color tint. I just tried it to make sure. I pointed it at a piece of white printer paper and turned it on in moon mode – then lo – then med – then high. In none of the modes did it have an unpleasant color. I used to always prefer cool white for the brighter looking output, but this light has changed my mind. Now, I think I prefer the cooler side of neutral white or maybe the neutral-er side of cool white.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Pages