****Copper Eagle Eye X6 heatsinks****(design)

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

Man oh Man spent close to $300 on metal, so i hope u guys are ready for these, once i get the sample in few days ill be off to the machinist to have them made 

 

im considering doing a run for the X6 SE and some for the NON X6 if the current design dont work out (on both) so this way these will sell and everyone is happy ? and i dont want to get stuck with $300 of wasted material  Sad

Stittville Ed
Stittville Ed's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/20/2011 - 08:22
Posts: 801
Location: Stittville, New York

DBCstm wrote:
Well, in all fairness, a few things changed on the X6 for the Group Buy…the tail cap is not interchangeable for example. So they’re two different lights. We run into that a lot don’t we?

The target here is for the Group Buy Special Edition light. Looked at solely in that regard, and with over a thousand of them out there, then it makes sense to spec the heat sink to that specific set of measurements.

Dale made one of these work so it might not be a bad idea to follow his lead on this.

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

Stittville Ed wrote:
DBCstm wrote:
Well, in all fairness, a few things changed on the X6 for the Group Buy...the tail cap is not interchangeable for example. So they're two different lights. We run into that a lot don't we? The target here is for the Group Buy Special Edition light. Looked at solely in that regard, and with over a thousand of them out there, then it makes sense to spec the heat sink to that specific set of measurements.
Dale made one of these work so it might not be a bad idea to follow his lead on this.

 

So do u guys want this done or not ? if so just post so i can cancel my order on the material

wight
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

nitro wrote:

Stittville Ed wrote:
DBCstm wrote:
Well, in all fairness, a few things changed on the X6 for the Group Buy…the tail cap is not interchangeable for example. So they’re two different lights. We run into that a lot don’t we? The target here is for the Group Buy Special Edition light. Looked at solely in that regard, and with over a thousand of them out there, then it makes sense to spec the heat sink to that specific set of measurements.
Dale made one of these work so it might not be a bad idea to follow his lead on this.

 

So do u guys want this done or not ? if so just post so i can cancel my order on the material

Are you having trouble understanding the two posts you quoted? [Both DBCstm and Stittville Ed are suggesting that you stick with your original plan make a heatsink shaped like DBCstm’s drawing.]

Most posters seem to be in favor of you sticking with that plan. In my opinion the worst case scenario (other than a run of undersized parts) isn’t that bad: it’s simply a higher than necessary cost and the requirement of sanding or filing to get good acceptable fitment.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Stittville Ed
Stittville Ed's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/20/2011 - 08:22
Posts: 801
Location: Stittville, New York

Stick to the plan and start making chips!!!!!

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

Oh that's good to hear because i really want to see these turn out for everyone

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

Nitro, did you give the machinist an X6 to use as a baseline in order to ensure the diagram leads to his part fitting the light? Or is he going to make the part off the diagram alone?

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

I gave him my BLF X6 Sad but it will be a perfect fit for that host,like i said here or to u dale i can send out the heatsink to the members who would like to try it out ? just pay the member who has it the postage necessary and they can send it to them then back to me when done....

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

Thumbs up.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1876

Hmmm, so second batch is a different one…I wonder if the WW batch is also different Sad

I may have to cancel my interest, or at least put it on hold knowing that they could have changed it all yet again, unless you are getting a WW in to measure too?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

B42, to my knowledge there’s only one time the light underwent a change…from stock to the BLF Special Edition. With the thicker copper MAXToch star they Might have cut the emitter shelf a little deeper, I don’t know this for sure but it’s been suggested. It’s not undergoing any changes throughout this Group Buy To My Knowledge.

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

I'm in no rush,i got my machine guy,i have LOTS of copper and aluminum coming and i got u guys to back me up on any mistakes Smile maybe ill contact the supplier and see if they kept records of any changes on the host ??

 

BILL G
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 14:41
Posts: 166
Location: MN USA
nitro I think you are going to cost to cost me some $. Smile X6 ordered 9-24-2014 ——2.5mm deep X 21+mm Wide. Not 20mm. ——— BLF SPL == 2.0mm deep X 21+mm wide, ordered 11-03-2014.. I ordered 3 on 11-13-2014. They are on a Slow Boat from China. I would get more # before You order HS. I will CK the last 3 when I get them.
wight
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

nitro wrote:

I’m in no rush,i got my machine guy,i have LOTS of copper and aluminum coming and i got u guys to back me up on any mistakes Smile maybe ill contact the supplier and see if they kept records of any changes on the host ??

 

Hey nitro, do you have any idea what you expect the shipped price for USA people will be? (Assuming that you ‘stick to the plan’ of course with both the ~31mm and ~20mm shelves.)

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

Well i can have 2 options,i can ship using usps priority shipping and i think thats little over $5 or if u order 1-2 i can ship them in a bubble mailer for around $3ish but priority will be best since it has $50 insurance included ?

LSX
LSX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 08:38
Posts: 1456
Location: Perth, Australia

How much is it going to cost me for postage to Australia?

I’m still definitely in for one as I said previously. I would like it to stay the same as the original design with the contact on the 20mm shelf.

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

It should not be that much ill have more info once i have them in hand to check the weight ect....the sample is half way done and materials has been shipped Smile

wight
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

nitro wrote:

Well i can have 2 options,i can ship using usps priority shipping and i think thats little over $5 or if u order 1-2 i can ship them in a bubble mailer for around $3ish but priority will be best since it has $50 insurance included ?

So the price will be:
  1. materials cost ($6?) plus
  2. machine shop cost ($10?) plus
  3. shipping ($3?) plus
  4. your compensation for handling (x?) etc

is that in the ballpark?

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

wight wrote:
nitro wrote:

Well i can have 2 options,i can ship using usps priority shipping and i think thats little over $5 or if u order 1-2 i can ship them in a bubble mailer for around $3ish but priority will be best since it has $50 insurance included ?

So the price will be: # materials cost ($6?) plus # machine shop cost ($10?) plus # shipping ($3?) plus # your compensation for handling (x?) etc is that in the ballpark?

 

here is a close price list for the heatsink in COPPER is $12.00 plus the shipping

 

for this design in copper will be $18 plus the shipping

 

in aluminum im asking $12 plus the shipping

and this in aluminum im asking $9

wight
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

Cool, thanks for the info Nitro. Priority Mail flatrate envelope is <$6 I think, w/the free hard envelope, so the little heatsink should be <$18 ‘shipped’ in the USA I think.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

Either a box or double bubble to ensure the heavy part doesn’t arrive with a dinged corner. I believe Mattaus shipped his P60’s in bubble mailers with extra wraps around each piece. Should fit nicely in one of Rich’s little boxes.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

wight wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info Nitro. Priority Mail flatrate envelope is <$6 I think, w/the free hard envelope, so the little heatsink should be <$18 'shipped' in the USA I think.

 

if that is $6 for a flatrate envelope ill just use a priority box for $5.85 with insurance ???? if ordering one i can use a double mailer ?

 

ill probable be offering a discount if orders are over 4pcs mix with either heatsinks so will see once here

wight
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

nitro wrote:

wight wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info Nitro. Priority Mail flatrate envelope is <$6 I think, w/the free hard envelope, so the little heatsink should be <$18 ‘shipped’ in the USA I think.

 

if that is $6 for a flatrate envelope ill just use a priority box for $5.85 with insurance ???? if ordering one i can use a double mailer ?

 

ill probable be offering a discount if orders are over 4pcs mix with either heatsinks so will see once here

Good point nitro. (& RBD). The hard envelopes are sturdy, but there’s really no point when the box & envelope are around the same price.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

i sent lot of packages in the padded envelopes and they are always around $3 to $3.50 so it would be safe in a hard box but ill leave that option up to u guys when ordering 

 

i see another member offering the same heatsink but not a option in copper and at this great price, he mentions customs ? i dont think they will keep a piece of aluminum or copper ?

tommswpa
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/11/2014 - 21:20
Posts: 47
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Nitro, I’m ready to order as soon as you’re ready to take orders.

Have you discussed in an earlier post the best way to submit an order/payment to you?

I’ve been on travel lately and have not kept up entirely with the evolution of this most excellent thread, so I’m not quite up to speed on the different applications of the two copper designs shown in post 139 to specific X6 variants.

I have an X6 BLF SE on order from Banggood (not from the group buy, though) as well as an X6 BLF SE host shell.

Is one of the copper designs in post 139 “better” than the other for the X6 flashlight variants I have on order?

Apologies if I am asking for info that has already been discussed in earlier posts in this thread – I will try to catch up on reading the earlier posts in this thread after work later tonight/tomorrow to see if my questions are already answered.

Tommswpa

nitro
nitro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/22/2011 - 13:32
Posts: 2706
Location: ohio

tommswpa ill be like most and accept paypal as payment unless u have another option if so PM me, from the heatsinks above are for 2 different builds one would be for a triple and the other is for a quad

in the option of copper or aluminum when i get the sample and it gets approved ill then make the WANT LIST so i no how much and how much to make of each heatsink

tommswpa
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/11/2014 - 21:20
Posts: 47
Location: Pennsylvania USA

In the separate X6 heat sink Order Page thread, I have indicated intention to order the heat sink, MCPCB and Cute-3 SS Optics options for the Triple LED configuration – see, for example post #31 in this thread:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/36616?page=1#comment-701424

Now, I’m thinking about drivers and what my choices are for building a Triple LED EE X6 flashlight. Especially considering that I have never tried reflowing surface-mount parts before, other than soldering wires to MCPCB pads.

Thus, I have several related questions for the more experienced members:

Does anyone know where I can get Nichia 219B LEDs reflowed onto the XP32 Noctigon MCPCBs?

How about drivers that fit the EE X6 and that have sufficient current handling capabilities? – what drivers are folks considering for use within the Triple or Quad X6 mods? I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that Wight’s A17DD-S08 driver is a good option.

Are there any sources for fully assembled drivers that fit the EE X6 such as the A17DD-S08?

Is the stock EE X6 driver a realistic option to use in a Triple configuration?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

Tommswpa

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 5 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

tommswpa wrote:
In the separate X6 heat sink Order Page thread, I have indicated intention to order the heat sink, MCPCB and Cute-3 SS Optics options for the Triple LED configuration – see, for example post #31 in this thread:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/36616?page=1#comment-701424

Now, I’m thinking about drivers and what my choices are for building a Triple LED EE X6 flashlight. Especially considering that I have never tried reflowing surface-mount parts before, other than soldering wires to MCPCB pads.

Thus, I have several related questions for the more experienced members:

Does anyone know where I can get Nichia 219B LEDs reflowed onto the XP32 Noctigon MCPCBs?

How about drivers that fit the EE X6 and that have sufficient current handling capabilities? – what drivers are folks considering for use within the Triple or Quad X6 mods? I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that Wight’s A17DD-S08 driver is a good option.

Are there any sources for fully assembled drivers that fit the EE X6 such as the A17DD-S08?

Is the stock EE X6 driver a realistic option to use in a Triple configuration?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

I asked Hank if he could reflow 3 XP-L V6 3D on the Noctigon XP32 mcpcb and he was very nice to do it for free for me, so ask him and he can probably reflow whatever LED he has in stock for you.

tommswpa
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 03/11/2014 - 21:20
Posts: 47
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, cajampa.

I will also keep poking around to see which drivers members are considering to use in the X6 triple build that uses this specially designed heat sink and which of those drivers, if any, are available in assembled form.

Tommswpa

Pages