Which of these 3 lights should I get next?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California
Which of these 3 lights should I get next?

Ok, after hours and hours of R&D (research and dreaming!), I think I've narrowed down my next purchase to these three 1x18650 lights:

1. KaiDomain C8

2. UltraFire KH-T60 or TH-T60

3. TrustFire X9

Does anyone know which of these 3 would be the brightest with a ceiling bounce? I'm guessing the X9 would throw the farthest and the TH/KH would be the floodiest. If all three are driven hard (3A-ish) wouldn't they all have the same brightness? And the only difference between the 3 would be throw?

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by: fishmaniac on 08/09/2011 - 14:46
fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Oh, and I can't buy all 3. Smile

keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

Just based on the reviews and without any personal experience, I would go for the C8. I would really like to have a single-18650 XML lamp...


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

ZW99GT
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/08/2011 - 10:52
Posts: 202
Location: DFW

The UF-_H-T60 lights are very nicely styled and well built. I don't even remember which one I have (silver NF maybe?) but I really like it. But at a similar price, I can't say that I am not intrigued by the X9.

 

Get the X9, and if you don't love it it I'll trade you for my NF-t60? lol

cd520
cd520's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 17:08
Posts: 387
Location: WV, USA

I like the X9 also.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 27 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2488
Location: london

I have the 2 mode TH-T60 and  TrustFire X9 bought from cyberport 888.

The TH-T60 is driven at 2.8A and the X9 at 1.5A to 1.7A depending on battery.

The X9 is only slightly less bright on ceiling bounce test. Get the X9 I'm happy with it as it throws well.

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

How2, how do you like your TH-T6? I've had that on my wish list at DX for months.

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/13/2011 - 08:07
Posts: 848
Location: Canada, eh!

The X9 with its larger head and deep reflector, should out throw the other two.  I like the aesthetics of it as well.  That's the one I'd pick.

 

mizjif
mizjif's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 09/23/2010 - 03:13
Posts: 1982
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I also vote for the X9! looks like it should have some good heatsinking and some wicket throw! Nice styling too. 

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4809
Location: USA

I vote for the C8. It has an overwhelming positive response, delivers 3+ amps to the emitter, disperses the heat well and continues to be a best seller. Check out the review here.

trooplewis
trooplewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 weeks ago
Joined: 03/26/2011 - 15:35
Posts: 2613
Location: San Diego

I have a Th-T60 and use it as the light that is always hung just inside my garage door. A little more focused throw (larger head) than a standard P60, but not as focused as the even larger-head on the C8. So it depends what you want. The Th-t60 fits into your pocket easier than the C8, but will give you a less-focused hotspot that is wider.

Can't speak for the X9, haven't gotten one of those yet.

You can see some beamshots of the Th-T60 here, as well as the Trustfire F15, which has the same head and emitter as the C8

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/2689

Rats, finally sold my 2010 509hp Mustang...now I can buy more lights!

Sold the red one too! Now guess what I drive, doing my penance for 500 hp commuters...

http://dreammustang.com/

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/Ha

how2
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 27 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2488
Location: london

fishmaniac wrote:

How2, how do you like your TH-T6? I've had that on my wish list at DX for months.

Nice well build light runs 2.8Amps, mine 2 mode that's the only thing about it that I do not like. Ultrafire build quality has improved over the last few years. I cannot complain as I got mine free from lazerpoint.

Langcjl
Langcjl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/05/2011 - 05:36
Posts: 2162
Location: Wisconsin USA
You can get the ultrafire from the U.S. Warehouse in a couple of days. I would still get the x9 though. Can't go wrong with the c8. Guess I didn't help at all unless you want it fast.

Piers said " ....but who wants enough light, when you have the option for far too much "

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

fishmaniac wrote:

Ok, after hours and hours of R&D (research and dreaming!), I think I've narrowed down my next purchase to these three 1x18650 lights:

1. KaiDomain C8

2. UltraFire KH-T60 or TH-T60

3. TrustFire X9

Does anyone know which of these 3 would be the brightest with a ceiling bounce? I'm guessing the X9 would throw the farthest and the TH/KH would be the floodiest. If all three are driven hard (3A-ish) wouldn't they all have the same brightness? And the only difference between the 3 would be throw?

Thanks for the help. 



All of these run largely unregulated on 1 cell, so it's largely luck of the draw which is going to be brightest. But really, the differences are going to be small enough that you should just pick one you like the looks of.  

The x9 claims it works on 2 cells, but someone here tried that it burned. Of course you might get lucky get one where they bothered to stick a proper driver in.

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Langcjl wrote:
You can get the ultrafire from the U.S. Warehouse in a couple of days. I would still get the x9 though. Can't go wrong with the c8. Guess I didn't help at all unless you want it fast.

Be-Seen Triker wrote:

Go for the X9

 

...nono... go for the KH-T60  I mean the TH-T60...

Oh what the heck... C8!

On 2nd thought... yes, yes... the X9... I'm sure of it!  except...

lol..thanks guys!

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

agenthex wrote:

All of these run largely unregulated on 1 cell, so it's largely luck of the draw which is going to be brightest. But really, the differences are going to be small enough that you should just pick one you like the looks of.  

I like the looks of all 3. Love haha, but seriously, they all look nice. The TH looks "normal", the C8 looks like it's been working out and the X9 looks like it's on steroids. Smile

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

trooplewis wrote:

I have a Th-T60 and use it as the light that is always hung just inside my garage door. A little more focused throw (larger head) than a standard P60, but not as focused as the even larger-head on the C8. So it depends what you want. The Th-t60 fits into your pocket easier than the C8, but will give you a less-focused hotspot that is wider.

Can't speak for the X9, haven't gotten one of those yet.

You can see some beamshots of the Th-T60 here, as well as the Trustfire F15, which has the same head and emitter as the C8

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/2689

Nice pics. I really do like the TH's beam. It's got a good mix of flood and spot. Thanks for showing me the post. I haven't seen it before.

FlashPilot wrote:

I vote for the C8. It has an overwhelming positive response, delivers 3+ amps to the emitter, disperses the heat well and continues to be a best seller. Check out the review here.

Your review is what got me thinking about this light as a candidate. Good review. I also like your boat spotlight! Beamshots pls. Smile

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Ford Prefect wrote:

The X9 with its larger head and deep reflector, should out throw the other two.  I like the aesthetics of it as well.  That's the one I'd pick.

 

mizjif wrote:

I also vote for the X9! looks like it should have some good heatsinking and some wicket throw! Nice styling too. 

I have a Streamlight Stinger mod from about 7 yrs ago. It's got an UltraStinger head which is 59/60mm too. This sucker throws pretty nicely and I assume the X9 will be similar.

From the pics, the X9 looks much bigger than what it probably is in real life. My Stinger mod is 1.5cm longer than the X9 based on measuremnts. I was thinking it was more like the size of a Surefire 10X Dominator. This is what happens when I read "200mm".  I have no idea how long 200mm is w/o converting it to inches or looking at a ruler. $5.00 Footlong's at Subway...Not $5.00 31cm'ers. Sorry to the rest of the world. Smile

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

Another light you might want to consider is the Romisen XML. Reported >1000lumen by a site w/ their own integrating sphere:

 

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11436

http://www.lightmalls.com/romisen-rc-t601-cree-xm-l-t6-1000lm-5-mode-led...

Romisen is one of the better if not best brand in budget lights. 

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3376
Location: New Hampshire

I while add my 2 cents. I think everyone should own a KDC8, so get that one first and than as your budget permits consider one of the other lights. The KDC8 is an iconic budget blaster that can be compared to lights costing 2-3 times as much and the recent upgrade to a brass pill from aluminum means this light will be on the budget blaster radar for a long time to come.

You really can't go wrong with the KDC8, so buy one now don't wait.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Well I ended up getting an X9 with 2 cells/charger for under $26.00! I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it gets here soon cuz I can't wait.:bigsmile:

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4809
Location: USA

fishmaniac wrote:

Well I ended up getting an X9 with 2 cells/charger for under $26.00! I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it gets here soon cuz I can't wait.:bigsmile:

What a great price. May I ask where you got it?

Never mind... ebay.Laughing

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

FlashPilot wrote:

fishmaniac wrote:

Well I ended up getting an X9 with 2 cells/charger for under $26.00! I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it gets here soon cuz I can't wait.:bigsmile:

What a great price. May I ask where you got it?

Never mind... ebay.Laughing

Smile yup! hehe

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

fishmaniac wrote:

Well I ended up getting an X9 with 2 cells/charger for under $26.00! I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it gets here soon cuz I can't wait.:bigsmile:



I believe I was bidding against your $30 offer in the one you didn't win. Wink 

Flashpilot, it's not possible to get it for $26 if fishmaniac bids on all of them like he did previously. :bigsmile: 

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

So you got one too?? Seems everyone on here has one on order!

And I only bid on 3 listings...:) But I will again if the price is right! haha

agenthex
agenthex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2010 - 04:49
Posts: 3070
Location: Merica

Yeah, you know exact when. Wink It looked like the guy who got one for $26 also had the next lower bid on mine. I didn't see fit to keep outbidding him since I suspected he's from here, too :bigsmile:.

Reading this makes you smarter: http://lesswrong.com/

KingGlamis
KingGlamis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: 07/19/2011 - 22:46
Posts: 121
Location: Mesa, AZ

fishmaniac wrote:

Ok, after hours and hours of R&D (research and dreaming!), I think I've narrowed down my next purchase to these three 1x18650 lights:

1. KaiDomain C8

2. UltraFire KH-T60 or TH-T60

3. TrustFire X9

Does anyone know which of these 3 would be the brightest with a ceiling bounce? I'm guessing the X9 would throw the farthest and the TH/KH would be the floodiest. If all three are driven hard (3A-ish) wouldn't they all have the same brightness? And the only difference between the 3 would be throw?

Thanks for the help. 

Can I inject a bit of humor here? You are worried about how they perform on a ceiling bounce and then you ask about throw? How effing HIGH are your ceilings??? LOL

I've got lots of bright ideas.

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

KingGlamis wrote:

fishmaniac wrote:

Ok, after hours and hours of R&D (research and dreaming!), I think I've narrowed down my next purchase to these three 1x18650 lights:

1. KaiDomain C8

2. UltraFire KH-T60 or TH-T60

3. TrustFire X9

Does anyone know which of these 3 would be the brightest with a ceiling bounce? I'm guessing the X9 would throw the farthest and the TH/KH would be the floodiest. If all three are driven hard (3A-ish) wouldn't they all have the same brightness? And the only difference between the 3 would be throw?

Thanks for the help. 

Can I inject a bit of humor here? You are worried about how they perform on a ceiling bounce and then you ask about throw? How effing HIGH are your ceilings??? LOL

The ceiling bounce is for overall brightness, but I'm sure you knew that. And I didn't ask about throw. I guessed the X9 would have the farthest throw based on reflector size.

My question was if they're all driven at the same rate with the same LED, wouldn't they have the same brightness with the difference being throw.

But that was answered by how2...at least between the X9 and Th-T60.

And I do have vaulted ceilings... Smile

I haven't been this excited waiting for a light in a long time...I hope I'm not over-anticipating.

 

Pitoar
Pitoar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 23:23
Posts: 18

I like X9 best

To be best myself

KingGlamis
KingGlamis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: 07/19/2011 - 22:46
Posts: 121
Location: Mesa, AZ

fishmaniac wrote:

KingGlamis wrote:

fishmaniac wrote:

Ok, after hours and hours of R&D (research and dreaming!), I think I've narrowed down my next purchase to these three 1x18650 lights:

1. KaiDomain C8

2. UltraFire KH-T60 or TH-T60

3. TrustFire X9

Does anyone know which of these 3 would be the brightest with a ceiling bounce? I'm guessing the X9 would throw the farthest and the TH/KH would be the floodiest. If all three are driven hard (3A-ish) wouldn't they all have the same brightness? And the only difference between the 3 would be throw?

Thanks for the help. 

Can I inject a bit of humor here? You are worried about how they perform on a ceiling bounce and then you ask about throw? How effing HIGH are your ceilings??? LOL

The ceiling bounce is for overall brightness, but I'm sure you knew that. And I didn't ask about throw. I guessed the X9 would have the farthest throw based on reflector size.

My question was if they're all driven at the same rate with the same LED, wouldn't they have the same brightness with the difference being throw.

But that was answered by how2...at least between the X9 and Th-T60.

And I do have vaulted ceilings... Smile

I haven't been this excited waiting for a light in a long time...I hope I'm not over-anticipating.

 

You didn't ask about throw? LOL. Read your post again. I believe it says (as you can see above) "And the only difference between the 3 would be throw?"

That's OK, I understand staring at vaulted ceilings with a light designed to light up the outdoors. I do that almost never. Wink

Just giving you a hard time for fun.

Glad to see someone excited about a light.

Just make sure when you get it we get beamshots of the outdoors instead of your walls or ceiling. Big Smile

I've got lots of bright ideas.

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

i will definitely take some outdoor beamshots!