ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

5348 posts / 0 new
Last post
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17106
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

You definitely want full tang, so that's good.

I don't know Damascus steel that well to know if a hardness of 56-57 is any good.

I usually buy knives with a hardness of 57-60, but Damascus steel is something different.

(I also don't know anything about camel's bone.)

How much is the knife, and how big is it?

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 988
Location: Germany

If you like the design and if it cuts and you want to pay its price then it might be good.

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 699
Location: Melbourne, Australia

It looked good but I hesitated and now sold out Smile

https://pepnimble.com.au/collections/hunting-survival-knives

Edit: Thanks for the feedback though Thumbs Up

kat
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 04/21/2018 - 11:29
Posts: 416
Location: Europe

I have heard that real Damascus does not exist anymore. The steel was made a long time ago in Syria by some special casting process. And the end result was some steel with very high carbon content, so the hardness was probably higher than 56.
But today’s “Damascus” is just some plates welded between them…

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 185
Location: CA Bay Area

look on youtube or instagram and search for forging damascus steel, you will see how a lot of artists still create them using modern techniques, essentially folding multiple metal over and over to create the pattern. They are very pretty, and labor intensive, thus expensive. Its not welding, nor is it meant to be super strong/sharp (it can be strong and sharp for most application nonetheless). Modern knowledge and technology tell us purity and consistency will give us a more uniformed blade, so the pattern is mainly just for looks. Old blade that’s “damascus” can’t possibly beat modern knowledge, unless you believe in ancient alien Smile

---------------------

Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items.

Kwispelhond
Kwispelhond's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 03/06/2021 - 10:38
Posts: 90
Location: The Netherlands

Damascus steel does not exist, a real Damascus pattern is created by the folding and hammering of any steel. This endless hammering of the steel was the old way of getting impurities out of the steel they used back then and made anything they made like that a lengthy and labor-intensive product but in the past the only known way to make the steel strong enough for a top product.

In modern times we have learned to make the steels we use pure and strong in other ways so there’s no need anymore for all this endless labor making our modern-day steel products much more cheaper and even stronger and better than in the old days.

From this story you can already get that making a real Damascus-pattern is very labor-intensive so will never be cheap, not even from China. All cheap knives with fancy pattern’s on it are not real Damascus but just fancy paint jobs on any steel they fancied using. The end result is as good as the maker is trying to make so there’s no reason to believe the patterned steel is any better than any plain steel.

JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 66

Real Damascus steel is alive & well.
Devin Thomas makes some of the best. And it is not cheap. He supplies mostly Custom Knife makers.

Devin is but one maker of Damascus in the USA.

Omega_17
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 1092
Location: France
Kwispelhond wrote:
All cheap knives with fancy pattern’s on it are not real Damascus but just fancy paint jobs on any steel they fancied using.

No, only the super cheap ones are laser etched or paint, most ‘‘damascus’‘ is normal steel but sandwiched between an aesthetic layer of multiple layers steel just for looks.
You can find many Chinese kitchen knifes like that and they are very good but its rare to find on pocket knifes. Real Damascus is super expensive.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15736
Location: nyc

What about like them little Japanese fellas used to make for their swords? Beat ‘em silly, fold ‘em over, beat ‘em silly again, fold again, rinse, repeat, like 1000×? Kinda like phyllo dough but made with steel.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Kwispelhond
Kwispelhond's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 03/06/2021 - 10:38
Posts: 90
Location: The Netherlands
Lightbringer wrote:
What about like them little Japanese fellas used to make for their swords? Beat ‘em silly, fold ‘em over, beat ‘em silly again, fold again, rinse, repeat, like 1000×? Kinda like phyllo dough but made with steel.

Making one of those swords could easy take half a year of labor from the smith and the polisher, they learned how to make this from the real steel-masters of the ancient world, the Chinese!

JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 66
JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 66
xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2564
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA
Omega_17 wrote:
Kwispelhond wrote:
All cheap knives with fancy pattern’s on it are not real Damascus but just fancy paint jobs on any steel they fancied using.

No, only the super cheap ones are laser etched or paint, most ‘‘damascus’‘ is normal steel but sandwiched between an aesthetic layer of multiple layers steel just for looks.
You can find many Chinese kitchen knifes like that and they are very good but its rare to find on pocket knifes. Real Damascus is super expensive.

I can attest that some of the cheaper ones (not the total bottom end, but on the upper end of ‘cheap’) are made of a folded Damascus-style steel… but despite the availability of high purity steel, they use lower grades. It may look like Damascus, but it’s seriously inferior. You CAN see the contiguous pattern through the spline of the blade and the back end of the tang… not laser etched or painted. There are some sellers overseas who peddle them on eBay, trying to sound like purveyors of old-artisan steel makers who scrape by with producing these for a living. If those makers are real, they’re the bottom of the barrel in that trade. Their wares are mostly crap. You can sharpen them to cut, but they won’t hold an edge well, may even rust, and they’ll be noticeably heavier than you expect. I made this mistake twice and won’t ever again.
TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1343
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Omega_17 wrote:
Kwispelhond wrote:
All cheap knives with fancy pattern’s on it are not real Damascus but just fancy paint jobs on any steel they fancied using.

No, only the super cheap ones are laser etched or paint, most ‘‘damascus’‘ is normal steel but sandwiched between an aesthetic layer of multiple layers steel just for looks.
You can find many Chinese kitchen knifes like that and they are very good but its rare to find on pocket knifes. Real Damascus is super expensive.

Here’s a tip for determining if the blade you are looking at is really layered steel, or just a single slab of steel with an etched pattern. Look at the spline of the blade. If you don’t see the layers on the spline, it’s just etched.

JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 66

TexasToasted wrote:
Here’s a tip for determining if the blade you are looking at is really layered steel, or just a single slab of steel with an etched pattern. Look at the spline of the blade. If you don’t see the layers on the spline, it’s just etched.
That is a good tip, but there is an exception. It is San Mai steel.
Damascus steel is Forge Welded to each side of of a harder steel. The harder steel which holds a better edge is the core.
In San Mai the patterned Damascus is not visible thru the spine.

What is San Mai Steel and How To Make It

…….

JAPANESE LAYERED STEEL & OTHER KNIFE-MAKING TECHNIQUES.
…….

NOTE: Any true Damascus must be etched with acid to bring out the pattern. This happens because the acid reacts differently with each steel used to make the Damascus. Thus the pattern is shown.

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6822
Location: Ślōnsk

I see there’s a family of larger scalpel blades, meant for larger knives now.
It’s called #60.
And there are a few handles for them available.
I’m not really happy with them being actually larger than I’d like but I think I’m ready to get one on 11.11.

Any thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002621781940.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002889652747.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002863750936.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002888785445.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002888785445.html

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2564
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Agro wrote:
I see there’s a family of larger scalpel blades, meant for larger knives now.
It’s called #60. And there are a few handles for them available.
I’m not really happy with them being actually larger than I’d like but I think I’m ready to get one on 11.11.

Any thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002889652747.html

The idea of removable blades on a traditional folding knife mechanism is intriguing. Looks very tempting. But I wonder — is the blade dock proprietary? Is it totally locked in place, no way it can pop off, or is there a chance because of friction fit? Also, what is the availability on replacement blades?
old4570
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 09/06/2010 - 02:44
Posts: 3410
Location: Land of Oz

There is a guy who sells Damascus on Ebay
The knives are made in (?) Pakistan or India …

Easiest way to do Damascus is forge it from steel cable .. Problem with this is binding the steel properly .

This is why these cheap ( real ) damascus knives often have gaps or areas that are de laminating .
And most of those dirt cheap dama knives are etched , so why bother with them ?

Just try for a decent D2 knife .. Decent D2 can put a serious smile on your dial .

 Always remember , the easiest thing in the world to do , is to expel hot air from your lungs and through some vocal chords ..
The resulting sound may , or may not be worth listening too ….

 

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6822
Location: Ślōnsk

xevious wrote:
Agro wrote:
I see there’s a family of larger scalpel blades, meant for larger knives now.
It’s called #60. And there are a few handles for them available.
I’m not really happy with them being actually larger than I’d like but I think I’m ready to get one on 11.11.

Any thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002889652747.html

The idea of removable blades on a traditional folding knife mechanism is intriguing. Looks very tempting. But I wonder — is the blade dock proprietary? Is it totally locked in place, no way it can pop off, or is there a chance because of friction fit? Also, what is the availability on replacement blades?

This is a standard scalpel lock. You can choose any fixed handle for any blade. Or any not-too-long blade for a folding handle. The short blades are an old standard and I expect they’ll stay available forever. The longer ones? I don’t have such expectations here though I sure hope they won’t disappear in a year or 2. Anyway – they are not proprietary either and it looks like there’s more than one handle maker that adopted them already.
I haven’t experienced that yet but it seems like you have to bend the blade bit to remove it. I am also slightly worried that it wouldn’t feel solid enough. Though anyway – it’s definitely going to be a knife for very light use, so unless blade unlocking is really screwed up there should be no problems.
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6822
Location: Ślōnsk

On another topic, does anyone know some good alternative for Sanrenmu 711 / 7071?

I read that it used to cost $5, now it seems hard to get. Fasttech has it for $7.2 which would be great…but they don’t ship to Poland.
There is one on Aliexpress but $22.7 seems a bit steep for what it is.

What I’m specifically looking for is a knife:

  • with 55-70 mm blade
  • with this kind of minimalistic construction

I found deejo 15g:

It seems really almost perfect.
But it seems discontinued as well, I can buy one for ~$31 from abroad which is ~double the original price.
It feels like I’m overpaying (especially that it has cheap steel and even the original price seemed high) but given no better options I will bite.

There’s also CRKT K.I.S.S but deejo appeals to me much more:

Now…I would be glad to try whether this style of knife really works for me. For less than $30. It’s so simple that I have a suspicion that there would be quite a few other knives like that in China. But I fail to find any more.
Any suggestions?

Ig
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 197

Agro wrote:

I found deejo 15g:

It seems really almost perfect.
But it seems discontinued as well, I can buy one for ~$31 from abroad which is ~double the original price.
It feels like I’m overpaying (especially that it has cheap steel and even the original price seemed high) but given no better options I will bite.


Same or very similar knives you can find as Baladeo and Simms.
One more option https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002443584278.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1...
If smaller knives is OK for you Sanrenmu and Enlan have several knives of this kind.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891746299.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100001...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32922078463.html?spm=a2g0o.12057483.prod...
Generally these cheap knives are cost now about twice compared to several years ago, but you still can try something for good price.
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6822
Location: Ślōnsk

Ig wrote:
Agro wrote:

I found deejo 15g:

It seems really almost perfect.
But it seems discontinued as well, I can buy one for ~$31 from abroad which is ~double the original price.
It feels like I’m overpaying (especially that it has cheap steel and even the original price seemed high) but given no better options I will bite.


Same or very similar knives you can find as Baladeo and Simms.
One more option https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002443584278.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1...
If smaller knives is OK for you Sanrenmu and Enlan have several knives of this kind.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891746299.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100001...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32922078463.html?spm=a2g0o.12057483.prod...
Generally these cheap knives are cost now about twice compared to several years ago, but you still can try something for good price.

Thank you, that’s a few more. Smile
That deejo clone is interesting because it has deejo in the title, but nevertheless when I search ali for “deejo” it doesn’t show up. And when I search for “columbia knife” – it doesn’t either.
Enlans are quite heavy for me but at least they are the cheapest so far. Wink
BTW, in the meantime I also found Sanrenmu 6032 and Sanrenmu 7019.
old4570
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 09/06/2010 - 02:44
Posts: 3410
Location: Land of Oz

Aaaargh !

Buy them and see …

Look at the – 535 clones or the real deal ( Benchmade ) if your pockets are deep enough .
Another knife to look at = Real Steel Luna Lite D2

Another knife worthy of consideration = QSP Parrot in D2 ( Avoid the 440 version )

Those open frame folding knives ? Id rather go a neck knife ………… ( Fixed blade )

Columbia = FeeBay + A lot of sellers sell them with their own BS descriptions .. + all the SA39 seem to have sold out from the guy I got mine from . ( I just checked ) https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313... = FeeBay search

 Always remember , the easiest thing in the world to do , is to expel hot air from your lungs and through some vocal chords ..
The resulting sound may , or may not be worth listening too ….

 

old4570
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 09/06/2010 - 02:44
Posts: 3410
Location: Land of Oz

 Always remember , the easiest thing in the world to do , is to expel hot air from your lungs and through some vocal chords ..
The resulting sound may , or may not be worth listening too ….

 

Ig
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 197
TermsakC
TermsakC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2021 - 22:47
Posts: 276
Location: Singapore

Bought this “surgical blade” from a shop called “Warhero Store” on Ali Express for S$16.58 (about US$12.50); it came with 10 extra blades! Quite good and sharp. But I haven’t figured out how to change the blade just yet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5974209?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4d744c4dx...

Grigio
Grigio's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 06/12/2019 - 12:14
Posts: 146
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand

TermsakC wrote:

…… But I haven’t figured out how to change the blade just yet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5974209?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4d744c4dx...

Lift the heel of the bladfe (the part that says 24) a few millimeters, keep it up, then use your other hand to slide the tip of the blade forward, i.e. away from the handle. Be careful to not cut yourself.
To place a new blade, slide it backwards into the slot until it clicks into place. Done!

TermsakC
TermsakC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2021 - 22:47
Posts: 276
Location: Singapore

Thanks Grigio. I see what you mean. The ’24 end’ of the blade can be slightly lifted, like you said. Not so difficult to change the blade after all.

I just wonder why this seller is giving 10 extra blades for almost every knife he is selling.

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 536
Location: France

@Agro

Another low-cost alternative, Herbertz Zebra

Flashlights, blades & beer
Let’s stay relatively optimist!

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 988
Location: Germany

TermsakC wrote:
I just wonder why this seller is giving 10 extra blades for almost every knife he is selling.

Because they are inexpensive and can’t be used a long time.

Pages