The Deft X of poor guy *UPDATE* 04/19 Attache beamshots #48

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2309
Location: X

LinusHofmann wrote:
Call me skeptical but I consistently see artificially higher candela figures when taking measurements below 10 meters. The beam isn't really formed yet at that range (provided the focus is set for maximum throw) so I'd be really interested in seeing what kind of difference in throw (if any) you get when measuring at longer ranges i.e >50meters.

I agree... With aspheric lenses you should got slightly bigger readings but not much and with reflector flashlight lower readings.

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/28/2013 - 08:27
Posts: 974
Location: Switzerland
gaston01 wrote:
…remember that the head is moving and lets you focus at the desired distance, inside my house fully measured from 3 to 9 mts mts focusing on die each measure correctly and I had no variation to convert values to 1 mts, instead on my mods flashlights with reflector always find variations measured at different distances above, not very big but variations at the end…. Measurements at close range really hurts sight watching the die, the light spot is in my eyes for a few minutes :~ Also, I will try to make measurements tens of meters, when given the opportunity Wink

Ah yes, forgot you said you had a zoom ability. That would indeed improve the accuracy of measurements at various shorter distances compared with a fixed focus lens tuned for long range performance.

I’d still encourage a long range test to reduce the margin of error on distance and am curious to see how the numbers shake down.

slotguy
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 03/21/2015 - 04:34
Posts: 49
Location: Arizona
I was so impressed with this, I began experimenting with a really poor man’s collar. I had a couple of cheap parabolic reflectors from some old solar spotlights, so I cut the top off and proceeded to try and wrap my head around the concept. It seems like you get maximum results by focusing the light back on the emitter, it worked! Then I played with a couple of lenses from old binoculars and a large magnifying glass. Finding the right focal length may be a challenge but it is definitely doable.
LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/28/2013 - 08:27
Posts: 974
Location: Switzerland
slotguy wrote:
I was so impressed with this, I began experimenting with a really poor man’s collar. I had a couple of cheap parabolic reflectors from some old solar spotlights, so I cut the top off and proceeded to try and wrap my head around the concept. It seems like you get maximum results by focusing the light back on the emitter, it worked! Then I played with a couple of lenses from old binoculars and a large magnifying glass. Finding the right focal length may be a challenge but it is definitely doable.

Check out the Courui link in my signature, we’ve been looking at some cheap diy collar options. Up to now melon ballers seem to be a pretty good budget option Wink

slotguy
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 03/21/2015 - 04:34
Posts: 49
Location: Arizona

I wonder what would happen if you drilled about 3 holes in the collar, evenly spaced. Then focused three 445nm laser beams of say about 150mw each on the phosphor. Hmmmm

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

Now I enter the doubt …. :~
Anyone know how many meters are measured the 1000 kcds of the true Deft-x?
I know that Michael delivered a certificate with kcds and has its calibrated equipment…
I got a place with 20 mts free to measure the flashlight this weekend I will upload the results Wink
I have a cheap lux meter, but with standard flashlights always gave me logical values very similar to those I read in the forums for example :

I saved these values when they were std, measured at 6 mts

Jacob A60 68 kcds
Thunite TN31 120kcds
Fenix tk75 (xml-t6) 98 kcds
Small sun C10s 65 kcds

I think they are within normal values :~

Sorry for my bad English…

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2452
Location: Malaysia

I think 20 meters is good enough.

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/28/2013 - 08:27
Posts: 974
Location: Switzerland

It’s always good to verify readings under different parameters just to be sure. I’m sure your meter is fine though.

You didn’t by chance take a reading before installing the wavien collar? Would be very interesting to see just how much you gained by installing it correctly and fine tuning the focus.

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

LinusHofmann wrote:
It’s always good to verify readings under different parameters just to be sure. I’m sure your meter is fine though.

You didn’t by chance take a reading before installing the wavien collar? Would be very interesting to see just how much you gained by installing it correctly and fine tuning the focus.

I understand, I am going to make ….

Yes! that was a very important data Wink without the collar was in 680-690 kcds, after install I was just above 1000 kcds! was already very happy Smile after a time (it always happens) I want more performance Evil I tried with other leds, give more A, current draw without notice improvements…. so arm and disarm begin to notice changes without changing anything electronic :~ so I found that the collar was making a big difference Shocked

Sorry for my bad English…

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

Cool so you started at 680-690kcd & doubled that Shocked Nice very nice Smile

You could upgrade the XP-G2 to an higher flux bin they come in as high as S3 i think thats 2 or 3 flux bin steps over your R5

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

cajampa wrote:
Cool so you started at 680-690kcd & doubled that Shocked Nice very nice Smile

You could upgrade the XP-G2 to an higher flux bin they come in as high as S3 i think thats 2 or 3 flux bin steps over your R5

Yes, I thought, but I will work it took me to leave it at that value and how sensitive is the focus, for that reason I will not do Sad maybe win some ended up losing much… besides collar is strongly glued and the glass is very delicate 0:)

Sorry for my bad English…

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/28/2013 - 08:27
Posts: 974
Location: Switzerland

gaston01 wrote:
LinusHofmann wrote:
It’s always good to verify readings under different parameters just to be sure. I’m sure your meter is fine though.

You didn’t by chance take a reading before installing the wavien collar? Would be very interesting to see just how much you gained by installing it correctly and fine tuning the focus.

I understand, I am going to make ….

Yes! that was a very important data Wink without the collar was in 680-690 kcds, after install I was just above 1000 kcds! was already very happy Smile after a time (it always happens) I want more performance Evil I tried with other leds, give more A, current draw without notice improvements…. so arm and disarm begin to notice changes without changing anything electronic :~ so I found that the collar was making a big difference Shocked

Awesome, so if I understand that correctly.

690-1000kcd First installation of the collar.
1000-1300kcd Just tweaking the collar focus? Or are there additional electronic/led changes from the first figure?

Good stuff anyway, glad to seem some figures Smile

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

gaston01 wrote:
cajampa wrote:
Cool so you started at 680-690kcd & doubled that Shocked Nice very nice Smile

You could upgrade the XP-G2 to an higher flux bin they come in as high as S3 i think thats 2 or 3 flux bin steps over your R5

Yes, I thought, but I will work it took me to leave it at that value and how sensitive is the focus, for that reason I will not do Sad maybe win some ended up losing much… besides collar is strongly glued and the glass is very delicate 0:)

Ok i didn’t know it was glued, 1350kcd is more than enough anyway.

As i said my wish now is i want to see a 1000+kcd light with my own eyes Smile

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

LinusHofmann wrote:
gaston01 wrote:
LinusHofmann wrote:
It’s always good to verify readings under different parameters just to be sure. I’m sure your meter is fine though.

You didn’t by chance take a reading before installing the wavien collar? Would be very interesting to see just how much you gained by installing it correctly and fine tuning the focus.

I understand, I am going to make ….

Yes! that was a very important data Wink without the collar was in 680-690 kcds, after install I was just above 1000 kcds! was already very happy Smile after a time (it always happens) I want more performance Evil I tried with other leds, give more A, current draw without notice improvements…. so arm and disarm begin to notice changes without changing anything electronic :~ so I found that the collar was making a big difference Shocked

Awesome, so if I understand that correctly.

690-1000kcd First installation of the collar.
1000-1300kcd Just tweaking the collar focus? Or are there additional electronic/led changes from the first figure?

Good stuff anyway, glad to seem some figures Smile

Sorry for my bad English if you do not understand Sad

That’s right, jumps from 1000 kcds to 1350 Kcds only by the approach, I had taken as a reference the original height

Sorry for my bad English…

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/28/2013 - 08:27
Posts: 974
Location: Switzerland
slotguy wrote:
I wonder what would happen if you drilled about 3 holes in the collar, evenly spaced. Then focused three 445nm laser beams of say about 150mw each on the phosphor. Hmmmm

Only one way to find out, it’s a cool idea!

Gotta be careful not to burn the phosphor though! Silly

slotguy
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 03/21/2015 - 04:34
Posts: 49
Location: Arizona

Anyone who is looking for lenses on the cheap; Ebay has tons of old projector lenses since everyone has switched to digital. There are loads of old Slide projector lenses, cheap for disassembly.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA
JohnnyMac wrote:

OMG, Gaston!  That is simply amazing!  I had to read the throw figures 3 times before I was sure I was seeing one MILLION three hundred and fifty THOUSAND candela.  Good lord!  What a fantastic job!  You didn’t just build your own Deft X, you smashed it into the ground and doubled it’s throw.  Mighty impressive work. Cool

Doubled its throw?? Nice project he did but it did NOT double the throw or CD’S,,,,,,,,,,,Not even close to that.

A guy on CPF just sold his certified by Michael @ 1032Kcd=2031m of throw. OP’s claims 1350Kcd=2323m of throw. Impressive although 292m of additional throw is not double! I know Michael tests his lights further than 6m away. We will never know which one throws more because these enthusiasts are worlds apart geographically and follow different standards of measurement. Wink

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

Hi guys!

I bring some news Smile

I was doing the promised measurements in the place that I could get the results were:

At 6 mts: 1250 kcds
At 10 mts:1280 kcds
At 19 mts 1263 kcds

As you will see, is not that reason, in this place could not reach even 1300 KCDS :~ this is a place that is always closed and could observe many dust particles in the beam in the air…This will be the reason?
After these results to get home I measured again in the same place where I do all my measurements at 6 mts and though the batteries were not freshly charged for all tests in the other place well and everything was still barely above 1300 kcds Shocked can influence the environment, in this manner, in the results?

The particles in the atmosphere (cell image)

Zoom in

Zoom out 1.05 meters in diameter to 4 mts

After a late night try taking pictures of the tower at 1600mts, that will light up the water tanks but had the vision obstructed by trees |(
this test had done last winter, now newly started the autumn here, despite this, take my old camera to try to take good pictures to share with you, I hope you like Smile

Look for more distant towers had sight according google earth are to 1.25 Km

3D view:

On the photos to the left will notice a new construction that does not appear on the images of google earth

Control

Zoom

From another angle

Control

Zoom

Some to the sky! :bigsmile:

Sorry for my bad English…

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

Nice pics gaston Smile

I so want to play with something like that……..fingers crossed it is in my future Wink

MG
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/26/2015 - 18:02
Posts: 1031
Location: US

A great post. My hat is off to you, sir.

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/28/2013 - 08:27
Posts: 974
Location: Switzerland

Cool beamshots! Smile

I wouldn’t be surprised if a dusty atmosphere has a measurable impact on the figures, otherwise they seem to be relatively consistent.

Another thing that can skew measurements is if there is a surface near the meter that can reflect bounced light from the hotspot back onto the sensor area. For example in a situation where you place the meter in a room corner with white walls either side, I’ve seen increased measurements in that kind of setup as the meter is registering secondary bounce light from the walls.

I wouldn’t be too worried about small differences like that, impressive thrower in any case! Well done.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 sec ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2309
Location: X

Gaston is real pro in every way. I really like that photos.

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8821
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

great photos!

thanks for sharing Beer

PLEASE NOTE
i do not work in "reviews, deals and codes" for the time being
maybe M4D M4X will return one day, but until then:

THANK YOU FOR YEARS OF YOUR SUPPORT AND FRIENDLY CONTACTS!

gaston01
gaston01's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/16/2013 - 18:26
Posts: 296
Location: Buenos aires, Argentina

Thanks guys for your comments Smile

I’m glad you liked it!

Yes LinusHofmann It’s true what you say, I measure my flashlights in my backyard I place the sensor light meter to about 20 cm from the wall, and in the middle, removed from some corner to avoid what you says….

Sorry for my bad English…

Ormbett
Ormbett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/26/2015 - 09:55
Posts: 1245
Location: Sweden

Nice project! Thanks for sharing your knowhow and all cool pics Smile

scottyhazzard
scottyhazzard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/09/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 1127
Location: Northern California

How could I fake a wavien type collar? Maybe I can butcher an old reflector, flip it upside down and approximate the effect…

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 1332
Location: In my body.

It’s a spherical reflector upside down. Spherical reflectors are very common. Any one of us can produce and sell a spherical reflector without issue. It’s the end users prerogative if they want to install it upside down…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curved_mirror

breinrules
breinrules's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/04/2014 - 02:25
Posts: 581
Location: Cebu, Philippines

scottyhazzard wrote:
How could I fake a wavien type collar? Maybe I can butcher an old reflector, flip it upside down and approximate the effect...

 

Resurrecting a zombie thread. Do you think a bicycle

Axle cup or arm cup would be a good candidate for

A waiven collar? It is made of metal so its a plus. Need

Some polishing though.

southland
southland's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/04/2012 - 07:15
Posts: 3205
Location: Georgia, USA

Excellent build, really awesome.

WanaiPava
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/16/2015 - 03:10
Posts: 26
Location: Inside the dome of a XML-2

That is very impressive! I think u should consider building these for ppl ,not for free obviously. I’m guessing you’ll need some finishing touches like waterproofing etc but you are clearly very talented so shouldn’t be an issue!

Pages