UF-1504, 1503, 1505 - multiple LED's tested for throw (just what you have been waiting for!!!)

198 posts / 0 new
Last post
luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 38 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2293
Location: X

Almost 600kcd is really impressive result.

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

It really is Smile I so wish i could get my hands on a collar that fit the 1504/1405 of my own Sad

It is so sad that the 2 guys i know that can do them refuses to sell them……..

Kloepper Knife Works
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/07/2014 - 21:28
Posts: 1405
Location: Lincoln, NE

Sorry, I know you’ve asked a couple of times about them. Part of my reluctance to sell these is that the output increase for what I’d have to charge for them is not great value for the money.

If they were getting a 50% increase I’d be a lot more willing to chance the patent police (lawyers) and put them out there because of the versatility of the miniature collars. I’m still periodically trying to crack the mystery of improving the output further in the miniature size, against the advice of MEM. His testing leads him to think it’s probably a lost cause, and that it’s entirely possible the ceiling for increased output is just that low because of the size. He’s probably right, but I can’t shake the feeling that it should be possible with a higher tolerance part from proper material with coatings.

Bribo
Bribo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/05/2012 - 20:46
Posts: 226
Location: vancouver

KKW is it possible to post some photos or details for your collar ? I would like to try and make one of my own to try. thanks

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

Kloepper Knife Works wrote:
Sorry, I know you’ve asked a couple of times about them. Part of my reluctance to sell these is that the output increase for what I’d have to charge for them is not great value for the money.

If they were getting a 50% increase I’d be a lot more willing to chance the patent police (lawyers) and put them out there because of the versatility of the miniature collars. I’m still periodically trying to crack the mystery of improving the output further in the miniature size, against the advice of MEM. His testing leads him to think it’s probably a lost cause, and that it’s entirely possible the ceiling for increased output is just that low because of the size. He’s probably right, but I can’t shake the feeling that it should be possible with a higher tolerance part from proper material with coatings.

I know, it is just sad that a simple drop in for a 20% boost can not be sold openly Sad or not openly……how “they” would ever find out is the thing i have a hard time understanding if anyone would do it.
But then i have no concept of how it is to live in a litigious country, here in Sweden that kind of things just don’t happen, so i accept your stance on it.

And that is just with the SS, MEM say it is a dead end. But i think 20% is very descent for a drop in solution that fit on most 16mm mcpcb’s aspherics.
I understand his perfectionist angle that you can get 50-70% boost if you optimize every parameter, but sometimes 20% or maybe a bit more with a correct coating for maximum blue reflection is “good enough”, especially when it meant a drop in & you don’t have to redesign the whole light engine to fit the larger collar for optimal focus.

Jubeldum
Jubeldum's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/02/2014 - 09:20
Posts: 2057
Location: Michigan

Anyone try out a XP-L HI yet?

Blinky1
Blinky1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 min ago
Joined: 05/28/2013 - 14:08
Posts: 352

So is the UF-1504 any good when in stock form? Would it be comparable to something like Olight M2X UT/SR52 UT/M3X UT in throw?

I have been thinking about getting a good thrower, and was considering those Olight’s earlier. Now I stumbled upon this UF-1504, but there’s no reviews of it in stock form, everyone seems to be tweaking and modding it Big Smile

Kloepper Knife Works
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/07/2014 - 21:28
Posts: 1405
Location: Lincoln, NE

In stock form it’s very disappointing. Around 55kcd and 500-600 lumens if I remember correctly.

Add $20-$30 worth of parts and it’s a different animal, as everything you’ve read indicates.

Nicolaas
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2012 - 15:38
Posts: 464
Location: Netherlands

Kloepper Knife Works wrote:
In stock form it’s very disappointing. Around 55kcd and 500-600 lumens if I remember correctly.

Add $20-$30 worth of parts and it’s a different animal, as everything you’ve read indicates.

Yep. Great host, but stock not very good.
Modded? Dedomed XP G2 S2 1d, LD1 driver and 425Kcd.
Different beast indeed!
Far throwing light and a solid lamp.

Grtz
Nico

OscarM
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/16/2012 - 14:20
Posts: 1002
Location: Sweden

has anyone else tested the 1505 and measured different emitters? it’s a bit weird that the de-domed xpg2 had less kcd than the xml2, so if someone else has tested i’d be interested in the results!

Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1075
Location: ATL
Jubeldum wrote:
Anyone try out a XP-L HI yet?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone tried one of the XP-L Hi’s?

djburkes
djburkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2015 - 11:00
Posts: 1829
Location: Arkansas
Yourrid wrote:
Jubeldum wrote:
Anyone try out a XP-L HI yet?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone tried one of the XP-L Hi’s?

I don’t think a XP-L HI is going to throw any further than a dedomed XP-L does. My assumption is just from reading other threads and the testing that has been done in those threads between HI and dedomed emitters.

cajampa
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 08/01/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 1963
Location: Sweden

The best throwing in the XM-L2/XP-L sized emitter is the dedomed XM-L2 U4.

The XP-L HI is mostly for convenience (so you don’t have to dedome it) and better tint, but for max throw it is not optimal.

Keisari
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2015 - 16:57
Posts: 220
Location: Finland

I just built a UF-1504 with the XPL HI yesterday and still have a spare pill. Maybe I should make a comparison module with the XM-L2. Unfortunately the only XM-L2 I got lying around is an unknown bin leftover part.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 38 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2293
Location: X

n10sivern,

I know now why you got so bad results on 1503...

I always wondered how the hell did you get such low results on 1503 (180 or less kcd) cause I had very consistent performance out of them like 240-280kcd (seriously I am not kidding here). They were really nice and I was pleased...

Well all that changed now cause I got a new batch of 1503 with ultra c.r.a.p aspherical lenses Sad

Lenses with a lot of color abberation, with low light transmittance and low performance from 160-180 kcd. Totally unusable!

Sad

If someone has found right lenses for this 1503 please pm me. I must order something asap.

MEM
MEM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2015 - 00:51
Posts: 294
Location: Amongst Cornfields, Illinois, USA
luminarium iaculator wrote:

n10sivern,

I know now why you got so bad results on 1503…

I always wondered how the hell did you get such low results on 1503 (180 or less kcd) cause I had very consistent performance out of them like 240-280kcd (seriously I am not kidding here). They were really nice and I was pleased…

Well all that changed now cause I got a new batch of 1503 with ultra c.r.a.p aspherical lenses Sad

Lenses with a lot of color abberation, with low light transmittance and low performance from 160-180 kcd. Totally unusable!

Sad

If someone has found right lenses for this 1503 please pm me. I must order something asap.

I have a few of the top performing lenses for these, in stock. The rumors that I won’t sell my RAs, heh, please pass the word that if you want the best RAs there are, we need commitment to me to run another batch of the size needed. I made the first working RA there ever was when they were taken to CPF and then sold out from under me by Wav-tried-en-failed. I never gave them my formula, only the generic proposal plans for the design. As far as I could tell they tried building a business from email communications and thought they could run with it. I still hold that formula and it will die with me.

First off, you can’t make an RA from metal. It’s good that people have tried, I even tried. Not discrediting the ones that tried, but, there are some very deep problems that need to be solved to actually make them correctly. I have them made for a lens and that lens is made for a light. An order of operation exists. This is what I do everyday, I work with optical systems containing components costing more than expensive homes. Honestly I’ve tried to tell this forum with 100 hints how I can help you jump your lights 5 years into the future, practically speaking, and only a few of our good builders have followed up with me the right way. Then I read “he won’t sell them”. It’s because it simply doesn’t work that way guys, I’m sorry. If you want the longest throwing lights in the world, you just have to tell me that you want one, and then setup a run through me. I’m very willing to help, but I can’t help you if you don’t ask me seriously. Some have turned away because they aren’t told $20 for $150 in parts. Does anyone ever look into precision laser components? Precision optics? It’s kind of like going to the jeweler and saying, I want that diamond, the big one right there, I got $50. Then the jeweler walks away and continues helping the person who actually bought diamonds before. Really not trying to sound rude but at this point, I’m right here, I haven’t denied anyone sales, please don’t say that is what I am doing.

I outlined the problem. People need to agree on the host, and commit to it. I think that should be simple.

One host that I could outfit with an RA that is budget right now, I’m going to attempt soon as I have them in stock—the SR52 Intimidator. It’s machined correctly for my modification type and not much more to it besides that it has good quality. The Skilhunt Defier XO, K26, both setup right for small aspheric builds.

Do you like any of those? If yes, get a discussion going and pull me in. As a dealer I will work with the forum to develop the longest thrower possible in that design. I just don’t do it without commitment from the forum and I’d like to make that clear.

Instead of doing ten different group buys for the same bait and switch crap from china, maybe try a group purchase built by engineers instead of sales reps. You might be surprised at the results you get.

I like bright lights, and I cannot lie.

Kloepper Knife Works
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/07/2014 - 21:28
Posts: 1405
Location: Lincoln, NE
MEM wrote:
luminarium iaculator wrote:

n10sivern,

I know now why you got so bad results on 1503…

I always wondered how the hell did you get such low results on 1503 (180 or less kcd) cause I had very consistent performance out of them like 240-280kcd (seriously I am not kidding here). They were really nice and I was pleased…

Well all that changed now cause I got a new batch of 1503 with ultra c.r.a.p aspherical lenses Sad

Lenses with a lot of color abberation, with low light transmittance and low performance from 160-180 kcd. Totally unusable!

Sad

If someone has found right lenses for this 1503 please pm me. I must order something asap.

I have a few of the top performing lenses for these, in stock. The rumors that I won’t sell my RAs, heh, please pass the word that if you want the best RAs there are, we need commitment to me to run another batch of the size needed. I made the first working RA there ever was when they were taken to CPF and then sold out from under me by Wav-tried-en-failed. I never gave them my formula, only the generic proposal plans for the design. As far as I could tell they tried building a business from email communications and thought they could run with it. I still hold that formula and it will die with me.

First off, you can’t make an RA from metal. It’s good that people have tried, I even tried. Not discrediting the ones that tried, but, there are some very deep problems that need to be solved to actually make them correctly. I have them made for a lens and that lens is made for a light. An order of operation exists. This is what I do everyday, I work with optical systems containing components costing more than expensive homes. Honestly I’ve tried to tell this forum with 100 hints how I can help you jump your lights 5 years into the future, practically speaking, and only a few of our good builders have followed up with me the right way. Then I read “he won’t sell them”. It’s because it simply doesn’t work that way guys, I’m sorry. If you want the longest throwing lights in the world, you just have to tell me that you want one, and then setup a run through me. I’m very willing to help, but I can’t help you if you don’t ask me seriously. Some have turned away because they aren’t told $20 for $150 in parts. Does anyone ever look into precision laser components? Precision optics? It’s kind of like going to the jeweler and saying, I want that diamond, the big one right there, I got $50. Then the jeweler walks away and continues helping the person who actually bought diamonds before. Really not trying to sound rude but at this point, I’m right here, I haven’t denied anyone sales, please don’t say that is what I am doing.

I outlined the problem. People need to agree on the host, and commit to it. I think that should be simple.

One host that I could outfit with an RA that is budget right now, I’m going to attempt soon as I have them in stock—the SR52 Intimidator. It’s machined correctly for my modification type and not much more to it besides that it has good quality. The Skilhunt Defier XO, K26, both setup right for small aspheric builds.

Do you like any of those? If yes, get a discussion going and pull me in. As a dealer I will work with the forum to develop the longest thrower possible in that design. I just don’t do it without commitment from the forum and I’d like to make that clear.

Instead of doing ten different group buys for the same bait and switch crap from china, maybe try a group purchase built by engineers instead of sales reps. You might be surprised at the results you get.

Pretty much sums up what I’ve been trying to explain to people too. Knowing how ridiculously good yours are (and the other issues) is why I keep telling people that although the purely machined SS collars I’ve made have gotten to the point of around a 25% boost in the 1405, it’s still a far cry from the 80%+ you’re getting from your optical systems. I’m sure there is still more tuning that can be done in the micro metal RA’s, but getting to 50% boost will probably require a cost equivalent to (or close) to the RA’s you’re making, if it can even be done.

By the way MEM, I’ve been meaning to text you back. Been a busy last week, but I think I’ll have some time today to finally get back to you.

robertkoa
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 10/12/2011 - 17:03
Posts: 199

Nice.

So on an aspheric head with twist zoom glass lens can the

XP-G2 S4 2B dedomed at 3.76 Amps in Turbo or High Mode hit 1200 or more meters of throw for the ‘white laser’ effect…and still be useful at close range using flood ?

Who would build this ?

Can it exceed the Dereelight in throw ?

I think a fixed Aspheric is less useful and versatile than a good twist Zoom.

djburkes
djburkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2015 - 11:00
Posts: 1829
Location: Arkansas

robertkoa wrote:
Nice.

So on an aspheric head with twist zoom glass lens can the

XP-G2 S4 2B dedomed at 3.76 Amps in Turbo or High Mode hit 1200 or more meters of throw for the ‘white laser’ effect…and still be useful at close range using flood ?

Who would build this ?

Can it exceed the Dereelight in throw ?

I think a fixed Aspheric is less useful and versatile than a good twist Zoom.

I’d read over this before you consider building or having something built with the XP-G2 S4 2B…its fate is unknown.

robertkoa
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 10/12/2011 - 17:03
Posts: 199

djburkes wrote:
robertkoa wrote:
Nice.

So on an aspheric head with twist zoom glass lens can the

XP-G2 S4 2B dedomed at 3.76 Amps in Turbo or High Mode hit 1200 or more meters of throw for the ‘white laser’ effect…and still be useful at close range using flood ?

Who would build this ?

Can it exceed the Dereelight in throw ?

I think a fixed Aspheric is less useful and versatile than a good twist Zoom.

I’d read over this before you consider building or having something built with the XP-G2 S4 2B…its fate is unknown.

Thanks. I may try to have something built or modded…

What would you recommend for a small die super thrower approaching 500 Kcd ?

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 38 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2293
Location: X

Uniquefire 1508 with 74 mm lenses.

Owner of this thread has them so you could ask him…

NeilP
NeilP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2014 - 04:07
Posts: 308
Location: Jersey Channel islands

So, I just put in an order for the 1508 with 75mm lens and a spare pill.

Not seen data yet as to driver or LED STAR diameter for the 1508. Anyone have any ideas ?

From Jersey, the Island, not New Jersey, but old Jersey..the real one Wink

robertkoa
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 10/12/2011 - 17:03
Posts: 199

Nice engineering Djozz.

So that thing will throw what from 1 Kilometer to 1 mile ? !

Awesome is that a focusable head and how much to make another one ?If you have time and interest of course…

Thanks.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18318
Location: Amsterdam

Hi robertkoa, you did inspire me to redo the mod properly today, but it being my farthest thrower still, I’m reluctant to part from it.

I may re-mod my second 1504 (which is a shortened 1405) one of these days with the same parts and then sell one to you. As for the costs, the parts were about $50 altogether and shipping to the US (?) is $27 with tracking.

NeilP
NeilP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2014 - 04:07
Posts: 308
Location: Jersey Channel islands

Anyone have beam shots of these lamps as in the thread title?

I have just received two 1508’s with 75mm glass ( both broken edges) from Shenzhen Homesafety Electronic Co.
The lenses still fit and are not cracked in the middle, only around the mounting. They are sending me new lenses.

But the beam, with huge rings, is an …. abortion.

From Jersey, the Island, not New Jersey, but old Jersey..the real one Wink

NeilP
NeilP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2014 - 04:07
Posts: 308
Location: Jersey Channel islands

I did create a thread just for the 1508 , but here are a few beam shots to save any one else wasting their money

All shots quickly grabbed with the iPhone.

Beam shots at 2 o’clock this morning
Standard OEM LED with dome

Poor iPhone Beam shots

At my feet on grass.

On a wall 6 foot away, maximum flood

On a wall 6 foot away, maximum zoom

From Jersey, the Island, not New Jersey, but old Jersey..the real one Wink

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18318
Location: Amsterdam

Yuk, that’s bad.

Those glass aspheric lenses for flashlights are all made in a mould, not ground to shape. Therefore they all have to some extend surface irregularities, it is hit or miss how much, it is very far from optical grade and even my Sunwayman aspheric flashlight clearly has a less than perfect lens.

You must have one of the worst examples of them all, or perhaps all the 75mm lenses in the 1408’s are exeptionally bad quality.

Btw, the maximum flood on your light looks ectremely narrow.

NeilP
NeilP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2014 - 04:07
Posts: 308
Location: Jersey Channel islands

Yep very narrow.
here is very quick un edited in camera jpg shot indooss just now on my bed.
I have two of these , identical, one is set to max zoom, ..just about to drop off the thread, the other max flood.

I have shot a load of others, of the pill etc, that I will put up on the other thread I mentioned earlier

From Jersey, the Island, not New Jersey, but old Jersey..the real one Wink

NeilP
NeilP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2014 - 04:07
Posts: 308
Location: Jersey Channel islands

OK, so they have sent me two new lenses..DHL on their way.

So the recommendation seems to be an XP-G2

what is the max safest current I can drive this at? I see 4 amps being mentioned before, but was this with any specific cooling? more than the ‘standard’ pill to body heat transfer?

the pill is brass, but with collars on it, so not maximum pill to case heat transfer unless I may be fill the groove with compound. and the thread also?

Any one recommend a buck driver that has NO components on the spring side? 17mm have up to 22 mm depth in the pill.
Like to run 3 series lipo Cant see one on Mountain Electronics, and a brief FastTech search did not reveal any either.

From Jersey, the Island, not New Jersey, but old Jersey..the real one Wink

RMM
RMM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 13:47
Posts: 4006
Location: USA

17mm buck driver, 3S input, 4A output, no components on spring side.  I think that's something that doesn't exist!  The pill is brass so solder something in.

Mountain Electronics : batteries, Noctigon, and much more! What's new? 

Pages