TrustFire X9 - Thoughts and beamshots

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
stevetexas
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 month ago
Joined: 08/24/2011 - 11:29
Posts: 594
Location: Republic of Texas

I work in the Oil Fields over Oil Wells.

The meter I have is made by Simpson and is used every day.  I costs about $500.

Anyone in the oil fields will recognise the name

http://www.slb.com/

And yet....I worry about tail cap readings

Langcjl
Langcjl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/05/2011 - 05:36
Posts: 2162
Location: Wisconsin USA
@gen1.3 My x9 is very bright and has been since I got it. There is no doubt that it is driven at 2.6. That's why I decided to get a new DMM. I knew it was reading low. Still read low until I got good leads.

Piers said " ....but who wants enough light, when you have the option for far too much "

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Ian, I have tried 2 CR123a's with no problems. It puts out about 40K lux compared to 36K with an 18650.

It is noticeably brighter when shining on far away objects. The longest I've had it on at one time is 30 sec. Ive already gone thru a pair of cells and I'm on my 2nd set.

Make sure you check the current first to see if your X9 can handle it.

kragmutt
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/17/2011 - 01:20
Posts: 406
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Langcjl wrote:
@gen1.3 My x9 is very bright and has been since I got it. There is no doubt that it is driven at 2.6. That's why I decided to get a new DMM. I knew it was reading low. Still read low until I got good leads.

What DMM and leads do you have?

Langcjl
Langcjl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/05/2011 - 05:36
Posts: 2162
Location: Wisconsin USA
kragmutt wrote:

Langcjl wrote:
@gen1.3 My x9 is very bright and has been since I got it. There is no doubt that it is driven at 2.6. That's why I decided to get a new DMM. I knew it was reading low. Still read low until I got good leads.

What DMM and leads do you have?

I use the equus 3320 multimeter. It is talked about in the Harbor Freight DMM thread. Bought it at walmart. The leads that came with it were very thin, got low readings. I put a set of leads from an OLD harbor freight DMM on it and now the tailcap readings seem to be right on. The Harbor Freight leads are pretty thick, I don't think the newer ones are as nice.

Piers said " ....but who wants enough light, when you have the option for far too much "

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

fishmaniac wrote:

Ian, I have tried 2 CR123a's with no problems. It puts out about 40K lux compared to 36K with an 18650.

It is noticeably brighter when shining on far away objects. The longest I've had it on at one time is 30 sec. Ive already gone thru a pair of cells and I'm on my 2nd set.

Make sure you check the current first to see if your X9 can handle it.

 

Thanks, I'll try mine once I got new CR123 batteries.

Also, could you explain how to check the current in the X9? sorry for the newb question, I just really don't know. thanks

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Ian2381 wrote:

Also, could you explain how to check the current in the X9? sorry for the newb question, I just really don't know. thanks

Ian, I think you already know how to check your Amp draw. I believe you have readings on your X9 and Ke5, no?

Anyway, neg probe on neg end of battery and pos probe on the bare threads.

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

My meter seems not to work properly and relied just on post made here and what my eyes perceive in terms of brightness, also compared the X9 amp draw with my 2.5a ultrafire driver and thats how I came up with my numbers. Will have to buy first a better Multi meter.

Is there a way to know if the driver could handle 2xCR123 without testing with batteries?

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Ian2381 wrote:

My meter seems not to work properly and relied just on post made here and what my eyes perceive in terms of brightness, also compared the X9 amp draw with my 2.5a ultrafire driver and thats how I came up with my numbers. Will have to buy first a better Multi meter.

Is there a way to know if the driver could handle 2xCR123 without testing with batteries?

What's wrong with it? Pm me if you wish.

weiser
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/18/2011 - 15:25
Posts: 1811
Location: Montana, USA

Langcjl wrote:
I use the equus 3320 multimeter. It is talked about in the Harbor Freight DMM thread. Bought it at walmart. The leads that came with it were very thin, got low readings. I put a set of leads from an OLD harbor freight DMM on it and now the tailcap readings seem to be right on. The Harbor Freight leads are pretty thick, I don't think the newer ones are as nice.

 

That's strange since mine gives the exact opposite. HF leads give me low reading (under 1.0A) and Equus reads ~1.8A like many have stated. The HF leads also read ~1.3A from my Manafont UF XM-L drop-in while the Equus reads the upper 2 amp range like it should. However, the gauge looks to be the same. 

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

Ian2381 wrote:

Also, could you explain how to check the current in the X9? sorry for the newb question, I just really don't know. thanks

Ian2381 wrote:

My meter seems not to work properly and relied just on post made here and what my eyes perceive in terms of brightness, also compared the X9 amp draw with my 2.5a ultrafire driver and thats how I came up with my numbers. Will have to buy first a better Multi meter.

You guys should measure , not figure out current draws.

 

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

Hikelite wrote:

Ian2381 wrote:

Also, could you explain how to check the current in the X9? sorry for the newb question, I just really don't know. thanks

Ian2381 wrote:

My meter seems not to work properly and relied just on post made here and what my eyes perceive in terms of brightness, also compared the X9 amp draw with my 2.5a ultrafire driver and thats how I came up with my numbers. Will have to buy first a better Multi meter.

You guys should measure , not figure out current draws.

 

Here's the results of my multi meter.

Xtar 18700 2600mah @4.11v

KE5 - 1.44

RQ w/ xml and Ultrafire driver rated at 2.5 A - 1.85

X9 stock - 1.13

Solarforce L2 w/ 0.8-4.2v dropin modded with XML - 1.7

AW 14500 @4.11v

L2m w/ 0.8-4.2v dropin modded with XML -1.60

Xeno E03 - 1.4

In the process of doing this I dropped my fav light (Tank007 506 Steel modded with R5) 5feet to the floor, luckily it survived damaging only the wooden floor.  lol

I thought I forgot to buy something earlier today when I went to the mall, realize its the multi meter and soldering iron.

Any thoughts on the results of my test?

Langcjl
Langcjl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/05/2011 - 05:36
Posts: 2162
Location: Wisconsin USA
weiser701 wrote:

Langcjl wrote:
I use the equus 3320 multimeter. It is talked about in the Harbor Freight DMM thread. Bought it at walmart. The leads that came with it were very thin, got low readings. I put a set of leads from an OLD harbor freight DMM on it and now the tailcap readings seem to be right on. The Harbor Freight leads are pretty thick, I don't think the newer ones are as nice.

 

That's strange since mine gives the exact opposite. HF leads give me low reading (under 1.0A) and Equus reads ~1.8A like many have stated. The HF leads also read ~1.3A from my Manafont UF XM-L drop-in while the Equus reads the upper 2 amp range like it should. However, the gauge looks to be the same. 

Your reading from the UF dropin should be higher than the higher 2A range. The equus leads are just too thin to measure the current properly. The HF leads I use are very thick. They are from an old meter. New HF leads are not the same. You need to find or make some better leads.

Piers said " ....but who wants enough light, when you have the option for far too much "

weiser
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/18/2011 - 15:25
Posts: 1811
Location: Montana, USA

Langcjl wrote:

Your reading from the UF dropin should be higher than the higher 2A range. The equus leads are just too thin to measure the current properly. The HF leads I use are very thick. They are from an old meter. New HF leads are not the same. You need to find or make some better leads.

 

Well, I'm aware I could be getting more from the UF drop-in, but it seems many others here are drawing in the upper 2A range as well. What if not all of those drop-ins are equal? Drawing around 2.8A would seem normal then. What do you define as "new" for the HF leads? One set I used are several years old and the other maybe as old as two years. However, I do plan on eventually making new leads. It just hasn't been a high priority for now. 

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Ian2381 wrote:

Here's the results of my multi meter.

Xtar 18700 2600mah @4.11v

KE5 - 1.44

RQ w/ xml and Ultrafire driver rated at 2.5 A - 1.85

X9 stock - 1.13

Solarforce L2 w/ 0.8-4.2v dropin modded with XML - 1.7

AW 14500 @4.11v

L2m w/ 0.8-4.2v dropin modded with XML -1.60

Xeno E03 - 1.4

In the process of doing this I dropped my fav light (Tank007 506 Steel modded with R5) 5feet to the floor, luckily it survived damaging only the wooden floor.  lol

I thought I forgot to buy something earlier today when I went to the mall, realize its the multi meter and soldering iron.

Any thoughts on the results of my test?

Well, I should be getting my Keygos pretty soon and I'll see what I get. But you're right, those numbers do look low. I hope my Keygos is at 2.5A or Ima be pissed.

pounder
pounder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/20/2011 - 16:43
Posts: 1788
Location: Ontario

just posted a vid of my 980l vs the x9..enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-8ro5c-Sg

edc
edc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 10 hours ago
Joined: 01/16/2011 - 02:28
Posts: 3300
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA

I cut the end of my old leads and soldered on some thicker wire. Getting 2.2 a now.

 

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Ian, try the same readings again but this time use paper clips as your leads. Just insert a squished "J" end (after you unfold a clip once).

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

While waiting for my KD driver, I removed the X9 stock driver and transferred it to my RQ with XML, man the output is pretty weak, it just pulls 1.1A from my my multimeter, but my meter reads low so I guess it pulls somewhere near 1.4A. Still way low than expected, cant wait for the new driver. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow.Laughing

fishmaniac, Could you explain further how to use paperclips? I also doesn't have any paperclips around. hehe

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

I received mine today, I will check tonight how it works and the consumption with thick wires, I do not mind much leaving it DD in case the driver doesn't give 2.8-3A, should I add some material under the star in that case, or would it be enough as is?

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Hey guys, I added a video to the first post. I love this flashlight!

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

Received my KD driver and just finished modding my X9, All I could say is WOW.Laughing

It Doubles the Output, 1.4A from the stock driver and Now its 2.8A. Can't wait for night time.Cool

fishmaniac
fishmaniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/03/2011 - 07:21
Posts: 1019
Location: Peoples Republic of California

I'm GREEN Ian, I'm green...lol (with envy that is!)

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

Lol. Will try to post beamshots later tonight.Cool

spottie
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/21/2011 - 21:25
Posts: 196
Location: Australia

Ian2381 wrote:

Lol. Will try to post beamshots later tonight.Cool

 

eargerly await'em

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Ian2381 wrote:

I think the ebay X9 can use 2x CR123 as the reason it only pulls 1.7A on 1x18650. like my Solarforce skyline 1 which is really brighter using 2xCR123 as compared to 1x18650. Can anyone confirm this without getting any problem? I contacted the ebay seller and they confirmed this can use CR123(not 16340).

I only checked with one 18650 and it shows 1.4A on the multimeter.

Mine came with a limited warranty from Ultrafire, and in the data sheet, it said it can be used up to 8.4V,

anyone else received this same data sheet?

I will probably replace the driver for the Kaidomain one, but it would be good to know if it really can work at 8.4V, and also would love to know if being that way trustfire will launch an extension tube for 2*18650 like the X8's.

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

Mine also shows that it can be used up to 8.4V, never tested as I dont have any Brand new CR123 and no 16340 batteries.

stevetexas
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 month ago
Joined: 08/24/2011 - 11:29
Posts: 594
Location: Republic of Texas

I bought from pandamimi and paid $39.99.

In her ad she claimed 3000mA draw.

It looks and feels nice except that the Trustfire Logo is crooked.

With my new and better dmm it tests:

2.8A on High with Xtar 2600

2.7A on H with Tenergy 2600 protected flat top

2.4A with Trustfire 2400 Flame

2.0A with Ultrafire 3000

With these batteries it never gets more than a bit warm.

I tried it with a pair of CR123A batts from Battery Station.

The flashlight works fine and gets hot within 10 seconds.  After 5 minutes I switched off.  I then tested all modes and they worked fine. 

Switched on and off and retest modes 3 times, all OK.

Dumped the CR123 batts and they were quite hot.

Brightness with the CR123A was barely better than with Xtar or Tenergy 2600 but it drew 3.8 amps vrs 2.8 with Xtar and got hot fast.

I will not run CR123A again.

 

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

You were lucky stevetexas, you go twice amps than mine, that's the problem of playing chinesse lotto hehe.

It is quite cheap for the general quality, so I don't mind changing the driver.

Ian2381
Ian2381's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 00:50
Posts: 643
Location: Philippines

Here's some comparison shots

Pages