Ended on 08/22/15

229 posts / 0 new
Last post
Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4128
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)
J-Dub74 wrote:
This was a great demonstration of why this community is such an honor to be a part of… a community that Old Lumens contributed greatly in building.

+1

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

08/13/15 - The lathe is now ready to run. See the bottom of the OP.

Video of the first cuts with the lathe.

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Sweet. Its good to hear that when your machining its talking to you. Now to interpret what its saying. Smile

My gears stick themselves together from the oil and grease between them and if I do have to remove them use a screw driver either side to carefully lever them of the shaft, keep in mind mine isn't a Grizzly.

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Kloepper Knife Works
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/07/2014 - 21:28
Posts: 1405
Location: Lincoln, NE

Try to avoid having so much material hanging out in front of the chuck. A good rule of thumb is to try to limit it to 3x the material diameter.

Old-Lumens
Old-Lumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 11/04/2011 - 11:39
Posts: 7478
Location: Tyler, TX, USA

MRsDNF wrote:

Sweet. Its good to hear that when your machining its talking to you. Now to interpret what its saying. Smile

My gears stick themselves together from the oil and grease between them and if I do have to remove them use a screw driver either side to carefully lever them of the shaft, keep in mind mine isn't a Grizzly.

Yep, thought about that. I spent the afternoon taking it apart. On two of the three sets of gears, there is a shaft, then a bushing, then the gears, which go over the bushing. Both of the bushings were so tight that I had to pop them out with a socket and hammer. These bushings are steel and are keyed, with the key welded to the bushing. When you change gears, you are supposed to be able to remove the U clips, pull off the gears, slip on different gears, pop the U clips on and adjust so the gears all mesh. Good to go. Well, not if the bushings are frozen in the gears. So, a clearance problem in either the bushing OD or the gear ID. I checked all the gears and neither bushing would slide in easily, but on a few of gears, they would start. So, bushings not made to spec and gears not made to spec. Why am I surprised here, in a Chinese made machine? I'm not surprised at all.

I decided to remove material from both bushings instead of opening the IDs of the gears. Easier to control the bushing diameter, at least for me, so with fine files and sand paper, I got them to where the fit is just snug and you can push them in and out of the gears. Now, all the gears can be changed, like they should be.

I am sincerely thinking about just stripping this machine down to the bare casting and checking everything from scratch. With the shortcuts and workarounds I have found in the compound, the crossover, the tail stock, the chuck, the drive belts and drive pulleys - and now the change gears..., I absolutely do not have any faith in how the main transmission gears were fitted and assembled, inside the casting. It would probably be worth my time to just take it all the way down and put it back together, checking everything as I went. Probably would mean the difference in running for a few years, versus running a few days or months.

I'm not bitching guys, I am just stating fact. With the things that have been wrong so far, Murphy's law would suggest that there's more on the way, so why not do some good old preventative, before disaster. We all know what Chinese made goods can be and while I think overall, they probably make a good, inexpensive lathe, I think it's a lottery, just like flashlights and anything else there. You get a good one, or you don't. but it can be checked completely and I think I will go ahead and plan on that. I am concerned on making sure the lathe lasts for a long time and I think the only way I will know, is if I go through it.  I know, I'm not a machinist, but I've been doing all my own stuff since childhood and I have no worries about tackling it. I can do car transmissions and engines, so I can do this.

My PayPal address: oldlumens (insert the @ sign here) gmail.com

My YouTube Flashlight Video Channel

The BLF Modding Links Thread 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1374/jQ2wdL.jpg

 

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3119
Location: northern california

Its unfortunate that you would have to do all that, but very fortunate that you have the ability to do so. I suppose it is a good idea, since you know how to do it. Otherwise you will never really know what will come up next.

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10389
Location: Golden state

It doesn’t seem uncommon for rebuilt to be better than new.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

My Lathes in the mail for a service OL. What would you estimate the turn around time to be? Tongue Out

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8821
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

what does the update in the OP mean?

the end.. ?

PLEASE NOTE
i do not work in "reviews, deals and codes" for the time being
maybe M4D M4X will return one day, but until then:

THANK YOU FOR YEARS OF YOUR SUPPORT AND FRIENDLY CONTACTS!

pommie
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/28/2013 - 03:56
Posts: 971
Location: Corio, Victoria, Australia

The end of the beginning,
maybe better understood as “the finish of the start”

Cheers David

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 4091

OL what do you mean by a new beginning for someone ELSE at BLF??? Shocked

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

It sounds like there is a brand new OL's. Does this make the old new OL's MK2?

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

tempo
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 06/28/2014 - 08:59
Posts: 660

Old-Lumens wrote:

MRsDNF wrote:

Sweet. Its good to hear that when your machining its talking to you. Now to interpret what its saying. Smile

My gears stick themselves together from the oil and grease between them and if I do have to remove them use a screw driver either side to carefully lever them of the shaft, keep in mind mine isn't a Grizzly.

Yep, thought about that. I spent the afternoon taking it apart. On two of the three sets of gears, there is a shaft, then a bushing, then the gears, which go over the bushing. Both of the bushings were so tight that I had to pop them out with a socket and hammer. These bushings are steel and are keyed, with the key welded to the bushing. When you change gears, you are supposed to be able to remove the U clips, pull off the gears, slip on different gears, pop the U clips on and adjust so the gears all mesh. Good to go. Well, not if the bushings are frozen in the gears. So, a clearance problem in either the bushing OD or the gear ID. I checked all the gears and neither bushing would slide in easily, but on a few of gears, they would start. So, bushings not made to spec and gears not made to spec. Why am I surprised here, in a Chinese made machine? I'm not surprised at all.

I decided to remove material from both bushings instead of opening the IDs of the gears. Easier to control the bushing diameter, at least for me, so with fine files and sand paper, I got them to where the fit is just snug and you can push them in and out of the gears. Now, all the gears can be changed, like they should be.

I am sincerely thinking about just stripping this machine down to the bare casting and checking everything from scratch. With the shortcuts and workarounds I have found in the compound, the crossover, the tail stock, the chuck, the drive belts and drive pulleys - and now the change gears..., I absolutely do not have any faith in how the main transmission gears were fitted and assembled, inside the casting. It would probably be worth my time to just take it all the way down and put it back together, checking everything as I went. Probably would mean the difference in running for a few years, versus running a few days or months.

I'm not bitching guys, I am just stating fact. With the things that have been wrong so far, Murphy's law would suggest that there's more on the way, so why not do some good old preventative, before disaster. We all know what Chinese made goods can be and while I think overall, they probably make a good, inexpensive lathe, I think it's a lottery, just like flashlights and anything else there. You get a good one, or you don't. but it can be checked completely and I think I will go ahead and plan on that. I am concerned on making sure the lathe lasts for a long time and I think the only way I will know, is if I go through it.  I know, I'm not a machinist, but I've been doing all my own stuff since childhood and I have no worries about tackling it. I can do car transmissions and engines, so I can do this.

OMFG

BLightSam
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 11/13/2012 - 03:08
Posts: 1559
Location: USA

Sincerely hope that not chucking it all up because major new problems were found.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

M4D M4X wrote:
what does the update in the OP mean?

the end.. ?


Yeah, what’s going on? Is everything okay?

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5766
Location: Long Island, New York

The end? I'm confused? What's going on here?

Boycott Nike

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4600
Location: Texas
atbglenn wrote:

The end? I’m confused? What’s going on here?

+1 Shocked Hope everything is ok

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

Pages

Topic locked