RIP Laptop

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland
RIP Laptop

I got it for nothing as an insurance write off. My brother spilled a bottle of champagne into it when it was a day old. Apart from the keyboard not working it worked just fine.

 

It used to work for about 3 months then took a month or so off. Now it works for a week, then takes 6 weeks off. Pity that - especially as I don't have a couple of thousand dollars to replace it.

 

Ah well, it has been worth rather a lot more than the nothing I paid for it.

 

It died yesterday. Unfortunately in the middle of a very important piece of work to be delivered an hour later. Just as well my short-term memory is good. Conducting a funeral service without notes is not something I'd choose to do. Especially when it is so hot (By Scottish standards - 22C and about 85% humidity) that I am blinded by sweat and can't read the notes anyway.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Don wrote:

I got it for nothing as an insurance write off. My brother spilled a bottle of champagne into it when it was a day old. Apart from the keyboard not working it worked just fine.

 

It used to work for about 3 months then took a month or so off. Now it works for a week, then takes 6 weeks off. Pity that - especially as I don't have a couple of thousand dollars to replace it.

 

Ah well, it has been worth rather a lot more than the nothing I paid for it.

 

It died yesterday. With smoke.

 

Unfortunately in the middle of a very important piece of work to be delivered an hour later. Just as well my short-term memory is good. Conducting a funeral service without notes is not something I'd choose to do. Especially when it is so hot (By Scottish standards - 22C and about 85% humidity) that I am blinded by sweat and can't read the notes anyway.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

charlestt
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 01/16/2010 - 09:05
Posts: 664
Location: Bristol UK

Sorry to hear that Don do you think it's fixable?

 

 

 

 http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/charlestt225/Sig/A1200023-1.jpg" width="159" he

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Fixing it involves a new Macbook Pro unfortunately. It needs a new motherboard (and just about everything else inside the case) which is about the same price as a new Macbook Pro. I still have several laptops to play with so not about to replace it. Yet. But I'll miss it.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

charlestt
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 01/16/2010 - 09:05
Posts: 664
Location: Bristol UK

Don wrote:

Fixing it involves a new Macbook Pro unfortunately. It needs a new motherboard (and just about everything else inside the case) which is about the same price as a new Macbook Pro. I still have several laptops to play with so not about to replace it. Yet. But I'll miss it.

 

Have you tried ebay Don there's usually plenty of mac parts on there..

 

 

 

 http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/charlestt225/Sig/A1200023-1.jpg" width="159" he

fishinfool
fishinfool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 00:30
Posts: 4342
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

Sorry for your loss Don.  R.I.P.

Don wrote:

"But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion

alfreddajero
alfreddajero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2010 - 00:28
Posts: 1798
Location: Virginia Beach VA

Take the batts out and see if they can be used.

With Darkness, there will always be Light.

 

 

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

alfreddajero wrote:

Take the batts out and see if they can be used.

 

Unfortunately not - it is a LiPo pack. Apple hasn't used 18650s for several years now.

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...

alfreddajero
alfreddajero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2010 - 00:28
Posts: 1798
Location: Virginia Beach VA

Dang that sucks......

With Darkness, there will always be Light.