WTB Deep Red LED Flashlight or build one for me

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States
WTB Deep Red LED Flashlight or build one for me

Pretty sure it can be built. I don’t see many options online.

I’m looking for a deep red LED flashlight that is built with a Philips Luxeon Rebel ES 660nm Deep Red LED or equivalent . I would like it to be as bright as possible and be zoomable or have an aspheric lens. I’d also like it to to have a reliable 3 power switch. low-medium-high.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 685
Location: Carolinas, USA

Read this thread on the Brinyte B158 and watch all the videos. Follow the link to the reviews for this light

If you are new to flashlight modding, it sounds like this is a perfect starter host. And you can start with a Red LED and blank pills and move on from there. I can’t remember what the stock UI is, but when you build your custom pill, you can include a BLF A6 driver programmed for L-M-H

Lazy-R-us

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the desire for red? Saving your night vision is the only benefit I have heard, but there are plenty of flashlights with a moonlight mode that I would prefer. I guess with the red you get more throw at the expense of color torture. Is there another desire?

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston

I have a the deep red luxeon in a WF502b p60 build single mode at 1400ma and Jacob A60 with the same emitter at 1900ma. MTN electronics sells several aspheric hosts, Cree deep red 660nm and several drivers. I have experimented with several red LEDs and the 660mn will yield the least throw but the tint is the best red as most 620nm throw toward the orange spectrum IMO.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&pr...

Out of stock but he may have more in the works
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_62...

This driver at 1400ma three mode selectable
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&pr...

or this driver with a three chips removed for 1900ma three mode selectable
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&pr...

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States

Hello,

Thanks for the comments. I really don’t want to get into modding or building anything if I can help it, for starters I’m a terrible solderer, and I’d have to upgrade my soldering iron. Better to just pay someone to do it for me, I think. But, depending on how much I’m looking at, I guess I could attempt it. I would need some sort of instruction website or thread. That seems to be a nice flashlight though.

I would prefer the deeper red for hunting pests in my garden at night. From what I understand the deeper the red the less spooked the varmits will be.

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston

waterman74 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the comments. I really don’t want to get into modding or building anything if I can help it, for starters I’m a terrible solderer, and I’d have to upgrade my soldering iron. Better to just pay someone to do it for me, I think. But, depending on how much I’m looking at, I guess I could attempt it. I would need some sort of instruction website or thread. That seems to be a nice flashlight though.

I would prefer the deeper red for hunting pests in my garden at night. From what I understand the deeper the red the less spooked the varmits will be.

Not sure but Richard at MTN electronics may put it together. Write him.

emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1608
Location: Georgia, USA

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Richard at MtnElectronics could build something for you. He’s got a few different sized zoomie hosts; something there should work for you. He seems to be sold out of the 660nm XP-E’s, but those are very, very red. Just a matter of how long a restock would take. I’ve got one of those emitters on a Qlite driver at 1.9 amps and its got very good output. I’ve never used that Luxeon you mentioned so I have no idea if its better or not. I’d shoot Richard a message and see when he expects that 660nm emitter back in stock.

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States

Well I emailed them and got no response???!!!! So kinda leary about giving them my business.

Is anyone interested in a project?

Thanks

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9634
Location: Berkeley, California

Mtn isn’t a corporation with a 25-hour help desk.
Mtn a small family-sized operation and the guy has a small family — rightfully taking precedence over email inquiries.
Trust us. Long-term customers here. You won’t find more than a couple of sources for the kind of help you want. He’s one of them.

Be patient. You will be rewarded.

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston

hank wrote:
Mtn isn’t a corporation with a 25-hour help desk.
Mtn a small family-sized operation and the guy has a small family — rightfully taking precedence over email inquiries.
Trust us. Long-term customers here. You won’t find more than a couple of sources for the kind of help you want. He’s one of them.

Be patient. You will be rewarded.

DITTO
KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4274
Location: The Motor City

Try PM’ing member “18sixfifty” He has vast experience building lights that use RED emitter’s. He built a very powerful one for my brother for Night Hunting Dogs! Wink

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1760
Location: Alameda, CA

I have a thing for Deep Red also. That bright orange dot in the middle… well just irks me.

So the cheapskate (or stop gap) method.

I grabbed a thrower “UniqueFire UF-V8” (This mod will of course work on lots and lots of other lights) and pulled the stock lens out and put two (yes 2x) standard (used) red 52mm camera filters in it.

Bingo done.

Now I did have to pull the lens out of the filter housings, but that was not hard, some just screw apart.

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston

Another member who builds red/IR lights is “kevind43”. He sells mostly to starlight night vision hunters but also does standard red illumination.

kevind43
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 01/24/2012 - 17:47
Posts: 462
Location: ny

what kind of critters are you hunting and at what ranges with what weapon?

blitzwing
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 08/06/2012 - 19:10
Posts: 247

You’ll probably find the red XP-E2 in the Brinyte B158 will work just fine for you. You can focus or defocus as required

I’ve done quite a bit of hunting with red lights of various sorts and built a few, and haven’t bothered with deep red.

It’s more a matter of using just enough light to be able your target to ID and shoot safely, something the “1000 lumen” brigade don’t get about this sort of hunting.

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States

Thanks for more responses. I currently have a light, but it is about 630nm according to the manufacturer, it works well, just looking to go a little deeper red. I’ll be hunting hogs, coons and maybe coyotes out to 100 yards or more if I can get a light that will go that far. Btw Richard had responded to my email, I’m waiting to see if he is interested.

foolioGrimz
foolioGrimz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2015 - 05:01
Posts: 209
Location: Texas

I’ve been interested in red lights too. Does the red light reflect off the critters eyes like standard light does? That makes it easier to pop coons and rabbits that think they’re hiding in the brush.

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States

In my experience, the eyes reflect more with the red light.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

You can get them even redder here. 720-740nm. I’m not sure how visible that is though. Anyone know?

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9634
Location: Berkeley, California
Quote:
720-740nm. I’m not sure how visible that is though. Anyone know?

Yes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=human+vision+sensitivity+spectrum&source...

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Most of the Google images show vision stopping before or at 700. Very few show any light above 700. So the answer seems to be no. But they don’t say IR in the description, so I assume people can see at least half of the light. Anyone with experience?

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States

Beyond my pay grade

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4274
Location: The Motor City

I missed this one that was for sale, so I had Brad (18sixfifty) build a more powerful one for my brother, I think it was around 5amps? http://budgetlightforum.com/node/29363

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

blitzwing
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 08/06/2012 - 19:10
Posts: 247
waterman74 wrote:
Thanks for more responses. I currently have a light, but it is about 630nm according to the manufacturer, it works well, just looking to go a little deeper red. I’ll be hunting hogs, coons and maybe coyotes out to 100 yards or more if I can get a light that will go that far. Btw Richard had responded to my email, I’m waiting to see if he is interested.

100 yards is easily done with the bigger lights like the larger of the Brinyte lights like the S18 and S28, the B158 will do it easily on full focus.

The Solarforce M3 also works fairly well with a red XP-E and the green version throws really well – I have and M3 for which I’ve built switcheroo pills. Smile

http://www.customlites.com/Solarforce-M3-with-Red-or-Green-XPE2-SOL-M3-COLOR.htm

foolioGrimz wrote:
I’ve been interested in red lights too. Does the red light reflect off the critters eyes like standard light does? That makes it easier to pop coons and rabbits that think they’re hiding in the brush.

Rabbit eyes pop much better with red light than white or green. Fox eyes light up well with red light also. Green makes fox eyes light right up really bright, and green is more visible to us, and the green XP-E’s commonly used in these lights will out throw the red ones by a good way.

djburkes
djburkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 days ago
Joined: 03/16/2015 - 11:00
Posts: 1829
Location: Arkansas

I ordered a T20 host, red xp-e2, and a qlite driver that’ll be maxed out at 1.9a…we’ll see how that build goes.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

I’d be interested in a triple star with red emitters. Can’t find any right now though.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9634
Location: Berkeley, California

There are several sources for triple stars with red emitters around.
I recall this one: http://www.luxeonstar.com/sinkpad-20mm-tristar-leds

Oh, and “it’s a poor memory that only works backwards” — The White Queen
For everything else, we ‘oogle. This will find more mentions of “triple red” here.
This is what you get by typing those 2 words in quotation marks into the Search box:

http://budgetlightforum.com/search?q_as=%22triple%20red%22

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston
Joshk wrote:
You can get them even redder here. 720-740nm. I’m not sure how visible that is though. Anyone know?

Aluminum stars. For almost double copper is the way to go (Sinkpad II or Noctigon) max fot red is about 1900/2000ma.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18140
Location: Amsterdam

Colour perception in our brain is generated by the ratio of the excitations picked up by the three types of colour cones, it is actually a brilliant data-analysis of a very primitive three-receptor system (would you design the sensitivities of the green and red receptor so close to each other?). As you can see in the graph below, above ~670nm nothing is picked up anymore by the green receptor, just the red receptor 'sees' something. However smart it is, above 670nm your brain can not use the ratio between different receptors anymore to distinguish the colour, it gets just information from one receptor, so all light above roughly 670nm will appear the same colour (deep red). Going to higher wavelengths than that, the red receptor just becomes less sensitive and the light will appear dimmer, but not a different colour.

(there may be some variation among the population of humans, but this is roughly the story)

willie
willie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2011 - 14:19
Posts: 827
Location: Houston

Been building PT54s for four years some up to 12A aspheric. Built GREEN PT121 aspheric at 25A+.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/8493

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/9611

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/36165

waterman74
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 8
Location: United States
djozz wrote:

Colour perception in our brain is generated by the ratio of the excitations picked up by the three types of colour cones, it is actually a brilliant data-analysis of a very primitive three-receptor system (would you design the sensitivities of the green and red receptor so close to each other?). As you can see in the graph below, above ~670nm nothing is picked up anymore by the green receptor, just the red receptor ‘sees’ something. However smart it is, above 670nm your brain can not use the ratio between different receptors anymore to distinguish the colour, it gets just information from one receptor, so all light above roughly 670nm will appear the same colour (deep red). Going to higher wavelengths than that, the red receptor just becomes less sensitive and the light will appear dimmer, but not a different colour.

(there may be some variation among the population of humans, but this is roughly the story)

Told you it was beyond my pay grade…hehe…in all seriousness, this is brilliant stuff. Never heard it explained like this. Would like to have a long conversation about this, and how it could relate to hunting.

Pages