Newbie question regarding Ultrafire C8

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigfootwrl
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 23:15
Posts: 5
Newbie question regarding Ultrafire C8

Hi, I’m not a knowledgeable flashlight guy. I know what I like for what application and that’s about it. I don’t know all the flashlight lingo. Big Smile

I have several Ultrafire flashlights, but what I am looking for is a possibly brighter, good throwing LED screw in replacement for my C8. It says it is a Q5 on the side and it’s pretty good, but I am going to use it for night time varmint/predator hunting and just thought there might be better/brighter LEDs for it now. It might be better to just buy a new light, but I just don’t know all the differences in the flashlight market nowdays and I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a fancy varmint rig. I have a remote switch and scope mount for my C8 already. I also don’t really know where the best place to purchase a replacement LED is. I’ve just bought most of what I needed on ebay.

Thanks for any help and if I missed a post covering this already I apologize, I’ve been all over Google’s world researching this and I’m just tired of looking. Smile

jhalb
jhalb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/23/2015 - 21:24
Posts: 1349
Location: California

Sorry, I do not believe there are any screw in’s for the C8 you have. If you want a little brighter they do make that particular light in XML or XM-L, the latter being slightly brighter. And will be at least 3 times brighter than the Q5 emitter. If you have soldering skills you could begin reading up on replacing the Q5 emitter and driver for an XML/XM-L2 setup.

bigfootwrl
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 23:15
Posts: 5

Thanks jhalb. Would that light throw a good tight beam?

jhalb
jhalb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/23/2015 - 21:24
Posts: 1349
Location: California

Yes, that is one of the nice features of the C8 that everyone really likes. Usable spill with a very good amount of throw. Oh, since you were talking about screw in or drop in units, there are also flashlights like the Ultrafire 501b, 502b just to name a couple. Those have drop-in modules that can be used in any of those types of hosts. Smile
Welcome to BLF btw! This is a fantastic website with tons of friendly people to help and work with.

Lancman
Lancman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 11/26/2014 - 15:35
Posts: 352
Location: UK

Something like this drop-in might fit but it’s a gamble because Ultrafire branded lights are made by several different manufacturers and the threads might not match.

Oh yes, welcome to the madhouse. Smile

FmC
FmC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 03/31/2013 - 05:23
Posts: 2197
Location: Brisbane, AU

Unless you are prepared to mod your existing C8 with a driver & emitter swap, I’d recommend just getting another C8.

As mentioned, the C8’s are known to have differing threads for the pill, so it’s a gamble to buy a replacement pill on it’s own.

KD have a good selection of C8’s with the XPL HI emitter, ready to go for $19 US, such as this one.

Your pressure switch should screw straight on to this one, if not, then the switch internals will be able to be swapped over.

Welcome to BLF! Beer

keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

You can order one of the XP-L HI models, and that will give you much MORE light, and it will be very throwy, BUT:

Depending on the emitter in your flashlight, if it’s a true Cree Q5, you have one of the better long-range narrow-beam thrower emitters out there. Your light should have a narrow beam with long throw and a very small hotspot. If you like this beam profile, other emitters will likely give you a wider hotspot with more spill than you are used to. The C8 is a very good light with an XM-L2 style emitter, but is an entirely different type of light with the XR-E/XP-E/E2 style emitters. 8-)


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

bigfootwrl
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 23:15
Posts: 5

keltex78 wrote:
You can order one of the XP-L HI models, and that will give you much MORE light, and it will be very throwy, BUT:

Depending on the emitter in your flashlight, if it’s a true Cree Q5, you have one of the better long-range narrow-beam thrower emitters out there. Your light should have a narrow beam with long throw and a very small hotspot. If you like this beam profile, other emitters will likely give you a wider hotspot with more spill than you are used to. The C8 is a very good light with an XM-L2 style emitter, but is an entirely different type of light with the XR-E/XP-E/E2 style emitters. 8-)

My C8 does have a very narrow beam, it’s why I like it so much. Smile Can I get a C8 with those last style emitters you mentioned or do you have to mod them yourself?

Is there possibly another flashlight, not too expensive, I could get that would have the same diameter tube to fit in my scope mount but be a better/brighter focused beam? I know, lots of questions. Smile Oh, I prefer a single mode for this type of use.

Thank you all for the help and the welcomes. Any additional knowledge sent my way will be greatly appreciated?

Dusty
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 07:58
Posts: 392
Location: Left Coast of Michigan

Or you could by this KD c8 for $10, And then purchase one of multiple drop-in pills for this particular light.

Bug

keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

bigfootwrl wrote:

My C8 does have a very narrow beam, it’s why I like it so much. Smile Can I get a C8 with those last style emitters you mentioned or do you have to mod them yourself?

Is there possibly another flashlight, not too expensive, I could get that would have the same diameter tube to fit in my scope mount but be a better/brighter focused beam? I know, lots of questions. Smile Oh, I prefer a single mode for this type of use.

Thank you all for the help and the welcomes. Any additional knowledge sent my way will be greatly appreciated?

Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about your light to tell, but a newer gen emitter still has a hard time out-throwing an old XR-E emitter. I recently built a light using a hard-driven XP-E2 emitter and compared it to the same model light using a gently-driven but dated XR-E emitter (possibly similar to yours) and the throw seemed to be almost comparable.

If you want better throw with an EXTREMELY tight beam angle, you might wish to consider one of the higher-powered zoomie lights. For a budget option:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&pr...

…Buy this host, get Richard to build it with a 2A driver, CW XP-E2 or XP-E2 Torch emitter, and you would have a long-range VERY narrow beam thrower. Or, install a 3A or higher Qlite driver and an XP-G2 or XP-L HI emitter for a wider beam with a bit less throw.


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA
keltex78
keltex78's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/18/2011 - 10:15
Posts: 3705
Location: Texas

In other words: Run while you still have your money! Wink


Keepin’ the “B” in BLF

Don wrote:
It sounds like the XM LEDs won’t really be suitable for flashlight use. Pity…

bigfootwrl
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 23:15
Posts: 5
bigfootwrl
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 23:15
Posts: 5

unknown00101 wrote:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&pr...

XPG2 stock in a very high quality C8.

LOL, I posted a query about this before I saw your post unknown.

1dash1
1dash1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2015 - 22:02
Posts: 1576
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

bigfootwrl wrote:
unknown00101 wrote:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&pr...

XPG2 stock in a very high quality C8.

LOL, I posted a query about this before I saw your post unknown.

Your Q5 LED is pretty outdated.

The XinTD C8 is the best quality mini-thrower available.

If you can’t afford that, I’d recommend the Convoy C8. Unfortunately, Richard is out of stock at Mountain Electronics. If you need it now, try Simon;
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gray-Convoy-C8-Cree-XML2-U2-1A-LED-Flashlight-torch-lantern-lanterna-bike-self-defense-camping/32240836052.html

The Thorfire C8 is also a good choice.
http://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-Flashlight-Moonlight-Cycling-Camping/dp/B...

Rule 1-1 as it applies to life, take it as it comes.

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2184
Location: Maryland USA

I would go with a smooth reflector Convoy C8 or Thorfire C8.
Parts don’t match up well in this market.
This Convoy is shopped from a USA warehouse.

http://www.banggood.com/NEW-Convoy-C8-AK47-71358-35-Modes-Integrated-Head-LED-Flashlight-p-980285.html

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2184
Location: Maryland USA

Oh and welcome!