USB power information

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tinderbox UK
Tinderbox UK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2016 - 06:17
Posts: 312
Location: England, United Kingdom

I ordered an windows mini pc that comes with an 5v 3a adapter, I want to find out the max current it uses when running the cpu/gpu at max to see if any of my power banks would work with it.

 

Thanks

 

John.

Maha C9000 – LaCrosse BC-900 – Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 – Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6 LiitoKala Lii-100 – Cozypony 24W Solar Panel – Soshine H4 – Soshine T2 – Soshine E4S

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7425
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Tinderbox UK wrote:

How can i measure the max/peak current an usb device is using so i can pick the correct rated usb adaptor.

To really measure peak you need to put a ammeter with peak readout in series with the current in the usb cable.
I can easily do it because I have made usb breakout cables and have 5 volt lab power supplies and DMM’s with peak reading.

Without all that equipment the easiest way is to measure the current with an usb meter, but it will not be that precise and it will not be the peak.

Most of the time there is no real reason to measure the current, just use a power supply that can deliver 2.4A

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Tinderbox UK
Tinderbox UK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2016 - 06:17
Posts: 312
Location: England, United Kingdom

HKJ wrote:
Tinderbox UK wrote:

How can i measure the max/peak current an usb device is using so i can pick the correct rated usb adaptor.

To really measure peak you need to put a ammeter with peak readout in series with the current in the usb cable. I can easily do it because I have made usb breakout cables and have 5 volt lab power supplies and DMM's with peak reading. !http://lygte-info.dk/pic/cpf3/DSC_7213.jpg! Without all that equipment the easiest way is to measure the current with an usb meter, but it will not be that precise and it will not be the peak.

 

Do you mean clamp meter?, I have an Uni-T UT210E but i dont know if it has peak.

 

John.

Maha C9000 – LaCrosse BC-900 – Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 – Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6 LiitoKala Lii-100 – Cozypony 24W Solar Panel – Soshine H4 – Soshine T2 – Soshine E4S

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7425
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Tinderbox UK wrote:

Do you mean clamp meter?, I have an Uni-T UT210E but i dont know if it has peak.

Clampmeter is the best, a normal wired meter on 10A range can be used, especially if you adjust the power supply to 5.2V (A lot of equipment will adjust current draw depending on voltage).

The break-out cable above will not work with phones, they check the coding on the data lines.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Vicne
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2017 - 18:47
Posts: 1

Hi, HKJ.

I’m impressed by your website ! Great job.
I’ve read you’re using Arduino and resistors to control Quick Charge chargers, I guess in a similar way to QC2Control – https://github.com/septillion-git/QC2Control
I’d be interested in implementing a similar project for Quick Charge 3.0, particularly because it has a “continuous mode” where voltage can be changed by 200mV increments, but I’m can’t seem to find a specification. The closer I got is the state machine on page 10 of the NCP4371 chip datasheet – http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCP4371-D.PDF
Would you by chance have a specification for Quick Charge 3.0 ? Or did you reverse engineer it ?
Any hint is welcome…

Kind regards,

Vicne

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7425
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Vicne wrote:
Hi, HKJ.

I’m impressed by your website ! Great job.
I’ve read you’re using Arduino and resistors to control Quick Charge chargers, I guess in a similar way to QC2Control – https://github.com/septillion-git/QC2Control
I’d be interested in implementing a similar project for Quick Charge 3.0, particularly because it has a “continuous mode” where voltage can be changed by 200mV increments, but I’m can’t seem to find a specification. The closer I got is the state machine on page 10 of the NCP4371 chip datasheet – http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCP4371-D.PDF
Would you by chance have a specification for Quick Charge 3.0 ? Or did you reverse engineer it ?

I used a datasheet and it looks like that datasheet contains anything you need to implement it.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1459
Location: Germany

@hkj
Any chance you do a follow post to cover the new stuff?

There is a short German article about recent Quickcharge stuff and USB PD.

https://mobil.teltarif.de/quick-charge-usb-pd-schnellladesysteme/news/76...

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7425
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

joechina wrote:
@hkj
Any chance you do a follow post to cover the new stuff?

There is a short German article about recent Quickcharge stuff and USB PD.

https://mobil.teltarif.de/quick-charge-usb-pd-schnellladesysteme/news/76...

I do not have enough new information for a follow up article.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1459
Location: Germany

Thank you for your answer hkj

I found two interesting web pages in German about

USB Power Delivery PD 2.0 and PD 3.0 https://kompendium.infotip.de/usb_power_delivery.html#Kap3.5.1 and

USB 3.1 Gen2 (the typ-C stuff)
https://kompendium.infotip.de/usb_3.1_gen_2_usb_typ-c_verbinder.html

Sorry I didn’t found sth. about USB 3.2

I don’t know how good your German is or if Google translate works well with the pages.

That power delivery and USB Type-C seems a bit complicated.

Notes from my resent search for USB-C cables
- for a search “USB-C” is more helpful than “Type-C”
- To find cables with full 5 ampere use “USB-C PD 5A” or “PD 5A”
- some 5 ampere cables have a purple core in the USB-C plug to distinguish from a 3A variant
- 60W cable is 3A, a 100W cable is 5V

angerdan
angerdan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2015 - 10:07
Posts: 538
clemence
clemence's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 days ago
Joined: 07/12/2015 - 02:58
Posts: 2474
Location: Bali - Indonesia

Hi SB, please consider to stick this thread. Very helpful for us

[Clemence]

amishbill
amishbill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 05/01/2019 - 10:03
Posts: 714
Location: GA

I lived through all of this too. I never could remember the rankings of Super vs High vs Full speed.. At least when they rev’d SATA, it was I, II, III.

DIY LT1 battery wrap image. "PDF on Google Drive":https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IHIEOi1NXu868IYNCzIM7D2Ulpxchmww

Fresh Sanyo NCR18650GAs already wrapped "for sale HERE":http://budgetlightforum.com/node/69120 if you like.

lumiere
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 00:28
Posts: 278
Location: Texas

Posting this here since I figured OP or someone else might know the answer.

I’m considering buying Apple’s 87W USB-C power supply (test/teardown) for my non-Apple notebook.

However, I noticed that it’s spec’ed at 20.2v instead of 20v.

1. Does 20.2v violate the USB-PD spec?
2. Could using this power supply with a device that expects 20v USB-C charging cause component damage over the long term?

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5607
Location: Canada

1. No, it doesn’t.
2. No, as manufacturers usually include a tolerance of about 5-10% on voltage, so it should not be a problem. 0,2V is nothing.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Pages