Xiaomi Power Bank 2 10,000mAh Review

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
FLicKeR
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/16/2017 - 03:57
Posts: 6
Location: Transylvania

Try Fasttech.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Not in stock at Fasttech.

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

I have 3 here and have given 2 more away to my daughter and her husband, they’re great!

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5766
Location: Long Island, New York
DB Custom wrote:
I have 3 here and have given 2 more away to my daughter and her husband, they’re great!

They are really nice. I especially like that with a double click of the power button, it’s in the always on mode so it won’t shut down when charging ultra low current draw devices like the Jetbeam Mini 1, etc. You’ll know when you’re in that mode because the 4 charge LED’s will flash one at a time. To exit the always on mode, just single click the power button.

Boycott Nike

paul02
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/29/2016 - 05:01
Posts: 10
Location: Singapore

Man these guys are running the competition.

I wonder how this would compare with Anker PowerCore+ 10050mAh QC3.0 power bank.

dodge_911
dodge_911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 15:07
Posts: 219
Location: DodgeReviews HQ

paul02 wrote:
Man these guys are running the competition. I wonder how this would compare with Anker PowerCore+ 10050mAh QC3.0 power bank.

Just a guess, based on testing 20 powerbanks :
the Xiaomi will score marginally better, as it is a LiPo-cell as opposed to the Anker, which uses 3 18650's (based on it's dimensions and power rating.) LiPo based powerbanks always score a little bit higher in my experience.

:: YouTube ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewsyt
:: Discord ::
http://discord.gg/fqJEDyy
:: Join the Discord ::
we need more BLF'ers!
atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5766
Location: Long Island, New York
I put purchase date labels on mine to keep track of them. So far the one I purchased in May of 2015 is still going strong after extensive use. I’m very impressed with this company.

Boycott Nike

paul02
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/29/2016 - 05:01
Posts: 10
Location: Singapore
dodge_911 wrote:

paul02 wrote:
Man these guys are running the competition. I wonder how this would compare with Anker PowerCore+ 10050mAh QC 3.0 power bank.

Just a guess, based on testing 20 powerbanks :
the Xiaomi will score marginally better, as it is a LiPo-cell as opposed to the Anker, which uses 3 18650’s (based on it’s dimensions and power rating.) LiPo based powerbanks always score a little bit higher in my experience.

Interestingly though, Xiaomi’s power banks with QC rating are not officially certified by Qualcomm.

Anker is.

pool275
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/23/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 1
Location: Poland

I got the power bank, but it’s not working properly. It doesn’t connect to any device and when I’m charging the power bank, the one dot keeps blinking for few hours and then skips to all 4 dots. When I plug in my phone or any other usb device, nothing happens. I think that the whole pcb is broken. Do you know if I can get that pcb alone anywhere?

Spidey
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 5 days ago
Joined: 04/25/2017 - 07:15
Posts: 2

Hello,

Thanks for the test.

I would like to know something about how much Quick Charge changes the usuable capacity (charging cycles on mobile phone)? The main idea of mine to have a powerbank is to have maximum times(cycles) %0 to %100 battery charging on mobile phone when you are away from AC Smile

Mi Powerbank’s capacity is 10,000mAh @ 3.85V so it means if the mobile phone is 3,85V and has 3000mAh battery it can be charged nearly 3.x times but if the mobile phone is 5V and 3000mAh so it can be charged aproximately 2.x times.

So the quiestion is; Quick Charge 2.0 is charging at 9v and Quick Charge 3.0 at 12v and at these rates how many times can we charge a mobile phone which supports Quick Charge with a battery of 5v 3000mAh?

Best Regards Smile

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 4113

Spidey wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the test.

I would like to know something about how much Quick Charge changes the usuable capacity (charging cycles on mobile phone)? The main idea of mine to have a powerbank is to have maximum times(cycles) %0 to %100 battery charging on mobile phone when you are away from AC Smile

Mi Powerbank’s capacity is 10,000mAh @ 3.85V so it means if the mobile phone is 3,85V and has 3000mAh battery it can be charged nearly 3.x times but if the mobile phone is 5V and 3000mAh so it can be charged aproximately 2.x times.

So the quiestion is; Quick Charge 2.0 is charging at 9v and Quick Charge 3.0 at 12v and at these rates how many times can we charge a mobile phone which supports Quick Charge with a battery of 5v 3000mAh?

Best Regards Smile

I know this question is several months old but I will explain it quickly anyways if anyone needs to know.

When trying to figure out how many times will a powerbank charge a phone, it is easier to ignore capacity and voltage entirely and focus only in energy. By looking at the closest discharge rate in the chart, take that Wh output rating and divide it into the Wh required to fully charge a phone, that’s how many times it will charge it.

Lets say you have a phone that charges at ~9V 1.5A, and using a power meter you know that it takes 18Wh to fully charge. The xiaomi has a output Wh rating of 34Wh at that charge rate, so it will charge the phone almost 2x times.

Rated capacity is how much it has, output energy is how much you get. This is why discharge tests are important when reviewing power banks.

Spidey
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 5 days ago
Joined: 04/25/2017 - 07:15
Posts: 2

Thank you for the explanation Smile

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7451
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Spidey wrote:
So the quiestion is; Quick Charge 2.0 is charging at 9v and Quick Charge 3.0 at 12v and at these rates how many times can we charge a mobile phone which supports Quick Charge with a battery of 5v 3000mAh?

No, Quick Charge V2.0 can charge at 5V, 9V or 12V, V3.0 can charge with anything from 3.6V up to 12.0V in 0.2V steps.

Using higher voltage will change the number of charge cycles very little.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Beachlogger
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 23:08
Posts: 994
Location: S.E. Alaska

Where is the access for the 9 & 12 volt output?

dodge_911
dodge_911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 15:07
Posts: 219
Location: DodgeReviews HQ

Beachlogger wrote:
Where is the access for the 9 & 12 volt output?

The USB-port... But the powerbank won't output 9 or 12V on it's own, you need something that supports QC2.0 or QC3.0, that 'asks' the powerbank for higher voltages.

:: YouTube ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewsyt
:: Discord ::
http://discord.gg/fqJEDyy
:: Join the Discord ::
we need more BLF'ers!
Phlogiston
Phlogiston's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/27/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 988
Location: Scotland

There’s a (random) thought: does anybody make an adapter that you can plug into a QC 2.0 / 3.0 supporting USB device and get a selectable 5V / 9V / 12V for a device that doesn’t support QC? A QC to barrel connector adapter, for example? You could run a Li-Ion charger that happens to need a 12V power supply from a QC-supporting powerbank…

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 7451
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Phlogiston wrote:
There’s a (random) thought: does anybody make an adapter that you can plug into a QC 2.0 / 3.0 supporting USB device and get a selectable 5V / 9V / 12V for a device that doesn’t support QC? A QC to barrel connector adapter, for example? You could run a Li-Ion charger that happens to need a 12V power supply from a QC-supporting powerbank…

Something like this: http://lygte-info.dk/review/USBmeter%20QC2-3-MTK-PE%20Trigger%20J7-t%20UK.html
I have also seen a “naked pcb” version on Aliexpress.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Phlogiston
Phlogiston's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/27/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 988
Location: Scotland

Cool, all I have to do is solder a barrel plug to a USB plug and it’s done.

Thank you Thumbs Up

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 4243
Location: Scotland

Thanks for the review Beer

ieslei
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2018 - 06:34
Posts: 2
Location: Brazil

Hi, Guys. I am new here. Great review by the way. I was wondering when the low current mode of this powerbank is activated the max current output gets limited, Like what if i try to slow charge my phone by using this mode, wil it work? When i am no in a rush i rather slow charge my devices to avoid stressing the equipment.

Cheers

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 4113

ieslei wrote:
Hi, Guys. I am new here. Great review by the way. I was wondering when the low current mode of this powerbank is activated the max current output gets limited, Like what if i try to slow charge my phone by using this mode, wil it work? When i am no in a rush i rather slow charge my devices to avoid stressing the equipment.

Cheers

Hi, welcome to the forum

When the low current mode is activated it only delays the auto shut off, but output works exactly the same. If you want to slowly charge your phone just use a low quality or very long cable, but I don’t really see the need for that, most phones charges at a safe rate for the batteries.

Palladium
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 12 months ago
Joined: 01/27/2018 - 22:37
Posts: 2
Location: Singapore

I just bought 2 of their gen2 20K mAH powerbanks at 16 USD each (even if I don’t really need them at all haha since battery life on phones are getting so good). Great deal.

I also have their Mi Max phone which is the best specs/price phone I have ever seen and owned. Same goes for the their cleaning vacumm bot.

It’s pretty unbelievable that I personally know some people dissing Xiaomi products despite the proven stellar performance, because they aren’t expensive enough for their dumb snobbish tastes.

angerdan
angerdan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 41 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2015 - 10:07
Posts: 549

Are there any other known powerbanks which offer low power charging?

d_t_a
Online
Last seen: 1 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2662
Location: Manila, Philippines
angerdan wrote:
Are there any other known powerbanks which offer low power charging?

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but…

I think you’re referring to the Xiaomi powerbank’s ability to charge devices that consume very little charging current. (eg. like the Mi Band 2, which charges at around 0.05A charging current).

Many powerbanks will turn off automatically when they notice the charging current is below a certain threshold (I tried testing the thresholds of the various powerbanks I have access to). some of them turn off when the charging current is only 0.12A, others maybe 0.09A or less.

So, when the Mi powerbank is put into the low-power charging mode (it accepts charging of lower power devices, I notice that what it actually does, is that the powerbank does NOT turn off (the 4 dots seem to continue to blink indefinitely… until one presses the button to turn that off).

I have tested 2 powerbanks that seem to have very low power thresholds before they turn off (one is a generic type 18650 powerbank which won’t turn off even when charging current drain is just 0.01A, but will turn off when it’s unplugged).

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2175
Location: Finland
d_t_a wrote:
So, when the Mi powerbank is put into the low-power charging mode (it accepts charging of lower power devices, I notice that what it actually does, is that the powerbank does NOT turn off (the 4 dots seem to continue to blink indefinitely… until one presses the button to turn that off).

They do have a two hour timer for the low power mode.

d_t_a
Online
Last seen: 1 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2662
Location: Manila, Philippines
maukka wrote:
d_t_a wrote:
So, when the Mi powerbank is put into the low-power charging mode (it accepts charging of lower power devices, I notice that what it actually does, is that the powerbank does NOT turn off (the 4 dots seem to continue to blink indefinitely… until one presses the button to turn that off).

They do have a two hour timer for the low power mode.

Thanks for that info.

dekozn
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 785
Location: Be

Is it possible to switch between low power mode and normal mode without switching off? I’m asking because I’d like to use a powerbank with my x-tar vc2 plus to charge 14500 cells on the go, but the thing is so efficient that all my powerbanks shut down in the beginning of the charge.

Idiot proofing something only creates improved idiots.

Pages