Help mixing sound please?

84 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 2035
Location: Missouri
Help mixing sound please?

Hi all,

I could use help from a person who actually knows what they are doing. I’m trying to improve the quality of my voice overs on youtube. I have a blue yeti, and use audacity, but dont actually know how to use it. I’ve just been copying what other youtubers say to do.

What I would like is to send some one a copy of a raw sound file, and see if they can improve on it. Then I can just copy what they did Smile

I realize I don’t have a great “radio voice” so I’m not expecting the world, but it does seem like I’ve got room for improvement.

Thanks

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

I’d be glad to take a crack at it. What kind of improvements are you looking for? I haven’t used a Blue Yeti, but surely a USB mic isn’t such a bad recording device? I’ve worked with Audacity before to clean up some fairly noisy voice recordings. It isn’t perfect, but it can do wonders within reason. It does have some neat effects, too, if that’s what you’re hoping for. With plug-ins, you can really add depth to an otherwise boring recording.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17719
Location: nyc
vestureofblood wrote:
I realize I don’t have a great “radio voice” so I’m not expecting the world, but it does seem like I’ve got room for improvement.

Could always get Morgan Freeman to narrate… Big Smile

 

Not sure what you’d need to do, though. Get rid of echo? Cut down noise?

“Mixing” implies mixing different channels of audio, like voice over a music background, maybe adding in some effects, etc.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

I hear that’s a good microphone. I bet your real problem is your playback speakers. You are just discovering how wrong they sound.

bansuri
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2017 - 23:43
Posts: 552
Location: Land of Lincoln

Try adjusting your distance from the microphone, play with placement and direction.
Even good mics need a strong signal and placement and direction can make a uuuuuuge difference.
If you’re recording in a normal room cover yourself with a thick blanket or comforter to reduce the echo. There’s no reason to introduce the acoustics of your room into the recording, if you want echo you can do it right with Audacity.
I think you’ll be amazed at what a strong signal with placement that captures your best tone AND a blanket over your head will do.
Not pulling your leg with the blanket thing, we used to record vocal tracks that way back in my limited-budget teens with great success.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

I just figured out which channel is yours. You sound great when aren’t speaking toward the table top and creating an echo.

LightRider
LightRider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/05/2015 - 09:52
Posts: 2007
Location: U.P. MI, USA

“Mixing” is sometimes used to describe adjusting levels within different effects so it is appropriate. I have edited many voice recordings including some radio programs and advertisements. There is definately much room for improvement over any raw vocal recording. Some suttle adjustments, some not so much.

Advise on specific settings is highly dependent on the recording. But using a simple equalizer you will want to make sure you can here the “s” sounds. Put a small bump around 10k hz. Drop off everything below 80 hz. And pull down some at 500 hz.

It would be beneficial to use some sort of dynamics with a bit of compression as well. Staying close to the mic is very good advice. As close as you can without making popping noises. A homemade pop filter from pantyhose or something will be needed.

This is just very simplified advice but could help some. Otherwise just mess around till something sounds nice:)

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

LightRider wrote:
“Mixing” is sometimes used to describe adjusting levels within different effects so it is appropriate. I have edited many voice recordings including some radio programs and advertisements. There is definately much room for improvement over any raw vocal recording. Some suttle adjustments, some not so much.

Advise on specific settings is highly dependent on the recording. But using a simple equalizer you will want to make sure you can here the “s” sounds. Put a small bump around 10k hz. Drop off everything below 80 hz. And pull down some at 500 hz.

It would be beneficial to use some sort of dynamics with a bit of compression as well. Staying close to the mic is very good advice. As close as you can without making popping noises. A homemade pop filter from pantyhose or something will be needed.

This is just very simplified advice but could help some. Otherwise just mess around till something sounds nice:)

Haha, I spent days adjusting mine and love the result. But I got almost the opposite of your settings Big Smile My “s” sounded like a dagger before I adjusted, so we must have had opposite problems.
My advise is to plug in your best set of headphones and loop a recording of your voice while adjust your output equalizer. Write down those numbers. Edit the raw audio and play it on your phone, followed by the un-edited and see if it sounds better. If so, keep those settings in your editing software.

EDIT: In my case I learned my speakers needed more adjusting than my microphone.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2226
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies
Lightbringer wrote:
vestureofblood wrote:
I realize I don’t have a great “radio voice” so I’m not expecting the world, but it does seem like I’ve got room for improvement.

Could always get Morgan Freeman to narrate… Big Smile


Alex Labrelle (BaerTaffy) is cheaper Silly

sedstar
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 04/03/2013 - 18:23
Posts: 949
Location: East coast, united states...

i’m going by memory, i saw your “cash money video” on here.

i was struck by you have decent tone, but, you have a sort of “ess“y, hissy….oot a “lisp”, but something very slight of one.

i dont think you are gonna “EQ” that out, but, opinions vary.

first round for me would be FFT noise removal, and setting levels and limits.

i;d be thinking about fooling around with multi-band compression to control the “ssssssss”, followed by “sterilizing” the vocals… heavy compression, followed by expansion… and THEN playing with reverb and related effects.

I work on vocals in “cool edit pro/adobe audition”. you can never guarantee results, and, the “first time” might take me one hour, or, a whole week. Never know… after that first one, assuming similar tracks and conditions, it would be a quicker thing, as i wouldnt be flyng blind.

if you dont have a radio voice? a lot of people will try the humble shure sm-57…

============================

you might not have a situation you can just “do this effect, throw that one on” based on other youtubers “advice”. Many “effects” sound great or horrible, depending on knowing how to set them.

real audio work starts at the source and the signal chain and recording… followed by for lack of a batter word “real” audio software, and a mixer that has experience.

the more “work” your voice needs to make you happy… the less “toss this effect on…” froma youtuber is going to make you happy.

and, an annoying voice is no IMPEDIMENT to success on youtube channel.

“sandman” who does the MGTOW videos? he started off with a “noob” voiceover work…. then he settled into his “annoying voice” as i called it… recently he JUST got a decent sound engineering, i think. sounds decent now.

NOTE: he makes 6 figures a year off of his voice, so, even a highly annoying voiceover didnt stop him? it was his CONTENT we like.

With enough black coffee and cigarettes? all things are possible…

I am currently still shipping… REAL GENUINE CREE xp-g emitters, the classic… brace yourself? as low as 20 cents apiece!! Check out the SALES THREAD, everyone is happy… then PM me

SALES THREAD:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/52528

if you are into reloading? this is my site… I inherited the remains of what was once arguably the best reloading site on the internet… its the “BLF” of reloading sites…

http://reloadbench.freeforums.net/

if you think night vision would be cool? It IS… this site i am a member of, and its basically the “BLF” of home made scratch-built digital night vision. They are at the leading forefront of advanced DIY for digital night vision, and thats gun mounted or handheld… builds rival and exceed commercial offerings…

http://nightvisionforumuk.com/

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17719
Location: nyc
bansuri wrote:
Not pulling your leg with the blanket thing, we used to record vocal tracks that way back in my limited-budget teens with great success.

Yep. That’s why pros record in (soundproofed) rooms with anechoic wall-coverings.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2226
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies
Lightbringer wrote:
bansuri wrote:
Not pulling your leg with the blanket thing, we used to record vocal tracks that way back in my limited-budget teens with great success.

Yep. That’s why pros record in (soundproofed) rooms with anechoic wall-coverings.


Egg cartons are absolutely perfect as such anechoic coverings. The music room of a military school in Brasília is entirely lined with that, walls and ceiling alike, made by the students.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17719
Location: nyc
Jack Kellar wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
bansuri wrote:
Not pulling your leg with the blanket thing, we used to record vocal tracks that way back in my limited-budget teens with great success.

Yep. That’s why pros record in (soundproofed) rooms with anechoic wall-coverings.


Egg cartons are absolutely perfect as such anechoic coverings. The music room of a military school in Brasília is entirely lined with that, walls and ceiling alike, made by the students.

Ha! Love it… Big Smile

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 2035
Location: Missouri
DavidEF wrote:
I’d be glad to take a crack at it. What kind of improvements are you looking for? I haven’t used a Blue Yeti, but surely a USB mic isn’t such a bad recording device? I’ve worked with Audacity before to clean up some fairly noisy voice recordings. It isn’t perfect, but it can do wonders within reason. It does have some neat effects, too, if that’s what you’re hoping for. With plug-ins, you can really add depth to an otherwise boring recording.

Ya, the mic is good. Really considered to be top notch for a usb mic. I’m not really looking for effects. I just want to get it as pleasant sounding as possible. Most of the issue I “think” I’m having is getting the right equalizer mix.. Maybe…

Lightbringer wrote:
Not sure what you’d need to do, though. Get rid of echo? Cut down noise?

To be honest I’m not 100% sure either. I can’t figure out if I truly just dislike the sound of my own voice, or if I’m really just bad at this..

I started out having distortion issues ( This was my first vid with the Yeti).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kplnVzIQwZQ

My voice just sounded really “Scratchy” and rough. Backing a bit further away from the mic seemed to help a little. But even in later vids it doesn’t seem quite right. Maybe that’s just really how I sound?

This is my most recent vid where I feel like a good bit of the scratch and distortion is gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8sBI0v3fI

Joshk wrote:
I hear that’s a good microphone. I bet your real problem is your playback speakers. You are just discovering how wrong they sound.

Yes. This too is an issue. I am looking at better sound gear, but just the though of barfing up yet another hundred plus dollars (and probly still not getting what I need) is wearing me slick. Sound card? DAC? Speakers? Headphones?

bansuri wrote:
If you’re recording in a normal room cover yourself with a thick blanket or comforter to reduce the echo.

Well, I do hear some echo, so today I put some foam up on the walls. I guess if you guys see me lookin’ like fryer tuck in my next vid we’ll know the foam wasn’t enough.

sedstar wrote:
“sandman” who does the MGTOW videos? he started off with a “noob” voiceover work…. then he settled into his “annoying voice” as i called it… recently he JUST got a decent sound engineering, i think. sounds decent now.

NOTE: he makes 6 figures a year off of his voice, so, even a highly annoying voiceover didnt stop him? it was his CONTENT we like.

There may be hope for me yet then. I just listened to one of his vids and hear a similar scratchy sound in his….

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17719
Location: nyc
vestureofblood wrote:
Joshk wrote:
I hear that’s a good microphone. I bet your real problem is your playback speakers. You are just discovering how wrong they sound.

Yes. This too is an issue. I am looking at better sound gear, but just the though of barfing up yet another hundred plus dollars (and probly still not getting what I need) is wearing me slick. Sound card? DAC? Speakers? Headphones?

A decent set of earmuffs will help. I always liked Sennheisers, and you can get a decent set of Senns for 60bux.

Avoid the “bass boost” ones as they artificially, well, boost the bass response (duh). Good sound from an mp3 player, but not if you want accuracy in how the track actually sounds.

Bose are great, but a bit overpriced by maybe 50bux. Love my QC15s, though.

beats are decent quality with good sound, but way overpriced. (Eg, instead of 250bux I’d put them more at about a 125-150buk price-point. You’re paying for the name.)

My cheapie Senns (60bux, like I said) that I use for listening at work… can’t recall the model #… look kinda cheap (brown plastic all around), but sound great and are so comfy that after a while I forget I’m even wearing them (and often get yanked off my head entirely when I get up to go somewhere).

They’re a bit soft on treble, so if that’s what you like you may be a little disappointed, but I find that for prolonged listening, softer treble is a lot less fatiguing vs the pronounced, almost shrill, treble that I like. And I’ve got hearing like a bat, so I’m sensitive to 10kHz-20kHz sound and can hear it quite well.

Nb: I don’t attribute that to the oft-cited “Sennheiser veil”, just the soft construction and “tuned” response from them. They sound… warm.

Oh, and whichever brand you settle on, get over-the-ear ‘muffs, not on-the-ear. They just “seat” better and more consistently, and insulate the sound better from the outside world.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

I don’t know if buying anything is necessary, your viewers are listening on the same quality stuff you have. Just be sure to listen to yourself on every set of headphones/speakers you have and be sure you reach a good compromise with those equalizer settings we talked about.

SawMaster
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 05/03/2015 - 17:18
Posts: 1802
Location: SC USA

Ages ago I worked with an economy recording studio for awhile. Their sound stage was a room with acoustic tile ceilings and the walls were draped with heavy carpet and old quilts hung a few inches away from the solid walls. It worked excellently to reduce sound reflections. When we did road shows we covered offensive hard surfaces likewise to ‘pink in’ the sound. I also learned that it was very important to match the mic to the vocalist or instrument but I never learned how to select them. The owner had about 20 mics to choose from. I credit a lot of my current deafness to those days of loud rock and roll Silly

I’ve seen your vids but with my bad hearing all I can offer you is 1- cover the hard surfaces and the wall(s) opposite or near your mic position; anything is better than nothing and it needs to hang loose. 2- try different mics till you get the one which works for your voice. You need the best sound you can get to start with or the results will sound like modified junk Shocked

The studio is long gone as is my friend who ran it or I’d have better input for you. Had I not been ‘deep in my cups’ during those years I’d remember more Sad

Phil

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

If you want i can pimp your audio too, using Audacity.
Just provide a link to download the audio and i’ll have a go at it.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Having the microphone close to you helps a LOT in reducing room reverb and background noise by the way.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
vestureofblood wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
I’d be glad to take a crack at it. What kind of improvements are you looking for? I haven’t used a Blue Yeti, but surely a USB mic isn’t such a bad recording device? I’ve worked with Audacity before to clean up some fairly noisy voice recordings. It isn’t perfect, but it can do wonders within reason. It does have some neat effects, too, if that’s what you’re hoping for. With plug-ins, you can really add depth to an otherwise boring recording.

Ya, the mic is good. Really considered to be top notch for a usb mic. I’m not really looking for effects. I just want to get it as pleasant sounding as possible. Most of the issue I “think” I’m having is getting the right equalizer mix.. Maybe…


Actually, the “effects” may be exactly what you need (if you’re looking for a simple fix for your recordings). Effects aren’t just for making stuff sound weird. Some effects are made specifically to make stuff sound less weird. Anyway, send me a file if you’d like, and I’ll see if I can figure out the simplest, most effective fixes for you to implement, since you’re talking about doing this from now on yourself.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Since you guys have some experience, I would like some feedback on my settings. Have a listen to this video clip.

It plays:
1) Laptop Microphone (The reason I bought the Lavalier Mic)
2) Lavalier Microphone (The reason I bought the CAD Mic)
3) CAD Microphone (Finally. But a little off.)
4) CAD Mic, Realism Adjusted (with equalizer settings I think sound more like me)

So of course you have not met me, but does #4 sound the best on your speakers?

wle
wle's picture
Online
Last seen: 16 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 3231
Location: atlanta ga

send me a link

wle

"You never have the wind with you - it's either against you, or you're having a good day."
    Daniel Behrman, "The Man Who Loved Bicycles".
It never gets easy, you just go faster.   
-Greg Lemond.
       ,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 months 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 691
Location: South Carolina

“Getting sound to sound radder”
(some profanity)

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

wle wrote:
send me a link

wle


Have a listen to this video clip.
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3631
Location: USA

Joshk wrote:
Since you guys have some experience, I would like some feedback on my settings. Have a listen to this video clip.

It plays:
1) Laptop Microphone (The reason I bought the Lavalier Mic)
2) Lavalier Microphone (The reason I bought the CAD Mic)
3) CAD Microphone (Finally. But a little off.)
4) CAD Mic, Realism Adjusted (with equalizer settings I think sound more like me)

So of course you have not met me, but does #4 sound the best on your speakers?


Both 3 and 4 sound pretty good to me. 4 sounds a little fuller due to bumped up low end, I guess.

Can you post a link to your CAD mic?

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Here’s the raw audio incase that’s what you wanted the link for Wle. Suggestions welcome.
CAD mp4 Recording

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Pete7874 wrote:

Both 3 and 4 sound pretty good to me. 4 sounds a little fuller due to bumped up low end, I guess.

Can you post a link to your CAD mic?


Thanks for the feedback Pete.
I got it here on Amazon.
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3631
Location: USA

Joshk wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:

Both 3 and 4 sound pretty good to me. 4 sounds a little fuller due to bumped up low end, I guess.

Can you post a link to your CAD mic?


Thanks for the feedback Pete.
I got it here on Amazon.

Thanks!

What program/settings did you use to get from #3 to #4?

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Thanks Angler, I will have to try audacity.

For anyone wondering, that line I read is from the CAD user manual. It was sitting right in front of me when I hooked up the mic for the first time. I’m not trying to sound like and advertisement!

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Pete7874 wrote:

Thanks!

What program/settings did you use to get from #3 to #4?

I used Cyberlink WaveEditor2. It’s a lame program, but I can apply custom equalizer settings to a file and save it. I played with the bars for many hours, and that was the result. To re-create it, you can pull the 2K frequency down to -4 and pull the 125 frequency up to +2. Then shape the rest of the bars into a smooth wave look around them. Ending at 0 at both ends of the equalizer.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2719
Location: USA

Alright, just like going to the eye doctor, I made some adjustments. Please tell me if A or B is best on your speakers Smile

2 Choices of Audio

Pages