Review : Manker LAD Mini USB Rechargeable Keychain Flashlight (Pictures Fixed)

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
BazzH
BazzH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 05/27/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 273
Location: The Hague, Netherlands
contactcr wrote:
RollerBoySE wrote:
On the LAD you don’t really need it, the switch is designed so an accidental activation is very unlikely. I’ve never heard of anyone having had a problem with it.

Wrong. I’ve had it about 2 weeks and already activated it in my pocket twice. You can turn the LAD sideways and press against a flat table and it will easily turn on. The button looked recessed but it isn’t recessed enough. With a lockout this would be an amazing product but it is a HUGE oversight.

With a proper battery it would be a HUGE product.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3601
Location: US

We get it you are salty. Batteries can go bad in any product. Is there evidence these batteries fail at a high rate or something?

BazzH
BazzH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 05/27/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 273
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Someone told me there’s a thread on here that would suggest that and that Manker replied they will replace the battery. But I didn’t know and binned it already. Also, I’m not inclined to change batteries in such a light.

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 1041
Location: Sweden
contactcr wrote:
RollerBoySE wrote:
On the LAD you don’t really need it, the switch is designed so an accidental activation is very unlikely. I’ve never heard of anyone having had a problem with it.

Wrong. I’ve had it about 2 weeks and already activated it in my pocket twice. You can turn the LAD sideways and press against a flat table and it will easily turn on. The button looked recessed but it isn’t recessed enough. With a lockout this would be an amazing product but it is a HUGE oversight.

I stand corrected, at least I haven’t had any problems.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 3019
Location: Sweden

manker claims 100hours on the red mode, i find this more like 50 hours or so, anyone can verify?

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4185
mortuus wrote:
manker claims 100hours on the red mode, i find this more like 50 hours or so, anyone can verify?

Related to run time, I seem to have charging issues. Charge time often seems (too) short, so I’m not sure whether I have a decent charged LAD. I did a sort of run time test on dragon breath mode with a “fully” charged LAD, and it quit after only two days…

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 3019
Location: Sweden
hIKARInoob wrote:
mortuus wrote:
manker claims 100hours on the red mode, i find this more like 50 hours or so, anyone can verify?

Related to run time, I seem to have charging issues. Charge time often seems (too) short, so I’m not sure whether I have a decent charged LAD. I did a sort of run time test on dragon breath mode with a “fully” charged LAD, and it quit after only two days…

okay mine seems to charge a little over 1 hour or so, so 2 days is no way close the rated 100hours.. shame

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

BazzH
BazzH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 05/27/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 273
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

The cells are obviously crap … capacity not ok. Mine was dead after 10 cycles.

Blades
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/12/2016 - 21:38
Posts: 29
Location: Fayetteville, NC

I recently acquired one of these lights and have been playing with it. Issue I have is try to leave it on “high” and after a few minutes drops to red. This was after being charged. I’ll try to run the battery down and charge it again.

--Jason--

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4343
Location: Central North America

Blades wrote:
on “high” and after a few minutes drops to red.

high mode is for short bursts only, the battery is small, about the capacity of an AAA..

you can see in this graph (from post#1)

giorgoskok wrote:
As you can see it drops down at about 40% of the max output , in the first 2 minutes . At the 33 minutes mark , it switched to red leds (means battery is running low)

that high mode drains the battery very rapidly, and the max brightness is not maintained at all. This kind of step down from max is common to most flashlights.

at most, The Lad might capable of a steady output of the medium mode for 1/2 hour.. we would need to find a runtime graph of the medium mode to confirm that

fwiw, the specs are
High:300 lumens, 0.5 hour

note the OP got the specified runtime

definition of ANSI Runtime
Runtime is defined as the amount of time, rounded to the nearest quarter hour, until output drops below 10%.

If you would like a suggestion of a flashlight that can deliver about 300 lumens for an hour, maintaining 300 lumens almost the whole time, you need something with a CR123/16340 battery, and a Cool White Low CRI LED, like in this S1 Mini: clic pic for review

maukka wrote:
hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4185

^^^ The light does step down from highest mode, but if it steps down to red, then that’s not good (if the battery was full). Stepping down to red means battery is low.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4343
Location: Central North America

hIKARInoob wrote:
(if the battery was full). Stepping down to red means battery is low.

agreed, IF the battery is completely full, and the light steps down to Red in less than 30 minutes, then it is out of spec

but that does not mean we can run turbo repeatedly for several minutes, without recharging..
when the light steps down after the first 2 minutes, most of the charge is used up

some people think they can fire Turbo over and over again, on a single charge
or they think the light is going to hold Turbo for 30 minutes
both of these are untrue. The manufacturer does not make that clear, so I understand how someone might expect Turbo to last 30 minutes at full brightness, until they understand the Ansi standards for runtime reporting.

also, batteries in the LAD do NOT benefit from being fully drained, that strategy does not apply to type of battery in the LAD

for those concerned about runtime on Turbo mode, do a test, follow the protocol the OP posted.. charge the battery completely.. then do only One runtime test on Turbo and see if your results are different than the OP, who got a total of 33 minutes (of declining brightness) before red lights came on

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4185
jon_slider wrote:
hIKARInoob wrote:
(if the battery was full). Stepping down to red means battery is low.
agreed, IF the battery is completely full, and the light steps down to Red in less than 30 minutes, then it is out of spec

That’s how I’ve interpreted his words when mentioned “after being charged”.

Pages