Naked Heads Bodies Tails

52 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.
Naked Heads Bodies Tails

I thought we might share what was laying on the bench this morning. These are in various stages… some headed out the door later today others headed for the finisher. Sorry for the messy images… just grabbed these with my phone.

The heads on the left are in various diameters it isn’t your eyeballs going bad. I see one still goes to the mill for flats to be cut. It just never ends!! Shocked

A couple of these will go out with our custom pill and …as soon as they arrive… XHP 50.2 . The copper Turbo head on the body is shown without a bezel.

The head and tail here have been hit with a scrubbie… that body in front is 100% untouched, right off the machine. It hasn’t even been turned to make the tailcap fit perfectly. All these Lego in any combination. Enjoy!! TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2671
Location: Greece

Wow … Impressive ! They will make some awesome lights ! I wish i had my hands to one of those Wink

vinte77
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/04/2014 - 18:43
Posts: 766
Location: California

Wow, can’t wait to see the final production version! Great work!

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13475
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Just simply wow. I see several desktops there. Wheres that stereo cat of pp’s when you need it.
I’m loving the look of the square texture on the battery tubes. Beer

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9881
Location: Charente France

Argh just mean, MRsDNF presenting the most beautiful lights, then Dale with his triple 50.2 and now this… Despite it being sweet to look at it starts to get a bit much Wink

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4275
Location: The Motor City
Love Beautiful work, where do I sign up at!!! Thumbs Up

Really Love the Bare Billet Aluminum!!!

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 4243
Location: Scotland

Very Nice, I also like the square grip detail Thumbs Up

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.

Thanks all! These are a production series… we shouldn’t whisper about Dale and MRsDNF’s lights on the same page. The lights those gents have shown the past few days are ART DELUXE!!! Thanks though…makes me feel good!! Blushing

That square detail on the grip is my favorite texture to put on a light. 150% no slip!

I’ll have some of these up for sale in awhile. Hopefully the price will be good enough to move some. Many Thanks again for the nice comments. TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 2148
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Most impressive TexasLumens! Like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 18094
Location: nyc

Bugger…

This thread is so totally not what I was expecting. Big Smile

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13475
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Lightbringer wrote:
Bugger…This thread is so totally not what I was expecting. Big Smile

Its heaps better than what you thought it was. Smile

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

james y
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/15/2016 - 23:09
Posts: 142
Location: Malaysia

You didn’t mentioned here, I guess the head and tail threads are P60 compatible? That would be great.

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 3217
Location: Perth

More machined goodness! Very nice TL Cash

  

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.
james y wrote:
You didn’t mentioned here, I guess the head and tail threads are P60 compatible? That would be great.

Yes sir, those are all P-60 and can be set up for 18650 or 20700 batteries. They of course will accept our custom dropins that allow triples etc with an optic.

THANKS!!! I should have said that!! TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13475
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

I guess I was a little late as usual TL. Facepalm

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.
MRsDNF wrote:
I guess I was a little late as usual TL. Facepalm

We are never late MRsDNF….. just slower than the rest. Wink TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

kiriba-ru
kiriba-ru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2016 - 02:34
Posts: 2152
Location: not Russia
TexasLumens wrote:
james y wrote:
You didn’t mentioned here, I guess the head and tail threads are P60 compatible? That would be great.

Yes sir, those are all P-60…


I suppose that tail is bigger than usual P60 tail Wink
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 18094
Location: nyc

Just curious… would you be planning any kind of “smoothie”, kinda like a M*glite? Ie, a straight-pipe design, slightly rounded tailcap, minimal knurling just in a band around the battery-tube.

I know, I know, lots of people like their lightsabres and all, with all the gouges and rings and ridges and whatnot, but sometimes simplicity is best. Big Smile

Dunno if you’re planning any kind of ano on the Al lights, but a shiny medium-gray “gunmetal” would look awesome in that kind of design.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Edness
Edness's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 355
Location: NYC

Looking good! I’m def interested in one for sure!

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.
kiriba-ru wrote:
TexasLumens wrote:
james y wrote:
You didn’t mentioned here, I guess the head and tail threads are P60 compatible? That would be great.

Yes sir, those are all P-60…


I suppose that tail is bigger than usual P60 tail Wink

YES. They are larger. I don’t make the thin tin foil stuff. All of our P60 lights will accept commercial P60 drop ins…. and we make heads, tails, & bodies that will Lego +within our own lights. + Our light parts are not meant tot interchange with China P60 lights…. other than the P60 Dropin itself. Thanks for asking!! TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.

Lightbringer wrote:
Just curious… would you be planning any kind of “smoothie”, kinda like a M*glite? Ie, a straight-pipe design, slightly rounded tailcap, minimal knurling just in a band around the battery-tube.

I know, I know, lots of people like their lightsabres and all, with all the gouges and rings and ridges and whatnot, but sometimes simplicity is best. Big Smile

Dunno if you’re planning any kind of ano on the Al lights, but a shiny medium-gray “gunmetal” would look awesome in that kind of design.

Wow. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been asked that four or five times. SO… I do have a design about ready to code out that is as you say a “Smoothie”…and by the way THANK YOU…. I am stealing that word!!! Innocent We typically have our lights done in HA-III and that is always of course black. Our finisher does every color under the moon. If I build one you like I am more than happy to have it anodized any color you like. We do that often. Thumbs Up TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.
james y wrote:
You didn’t mentioned here, I guess the head and tail threads are P60 compatible? That would be great.

I didn’t read this close enough the first time…… Please read the reply to kiriba-ru 2 replies or so up. … sorry for the mess. TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Caleb
Caleb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 01:28
Posts: 794

Beautiful!

mattlward
mattlward's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 16 hours ago
Joined: 06/19/2015 - 09:20
Posts: 3453
Location: Illinois, USA

Those are really beautiful! Nice to see an attractive P60 light!

EDC rotation:
KR4, SST-20 FA3 4000k (favorite!)
FW3A, Nichia 4000k sw40 r9080 (second favorite)
FW1A, LH351D 3500k (third favorite)
FW1A, XP-L Hi 3A
FW3A, LH351D 3500k
FW3A, SST20 FD2 4000k
FW3A, Cree XP-L Hi 5A3
Emisar D4V2, SST20 4000k
Emisar D4V2, brass E21A 3500k (night light of choice)

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 18094
Location: nyc

TexasLumens wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Just curious… would you be planning any kind of “smoothie”, kinda like a M*glite? Ie, a straight-pipe design, slightly rounded tailcap, minimal knurling just in a band around the battery-tube.

I know, I know, lots of people like their lightsabres and all, with all the gouges and rings and ridges and whatnot, but sometimes simplicity is best. Big Smile

Dunno if you’re planning any kind of ano on the Al lights, but a shiny medium-gray “gunmetal” would look awesome in that kind of design.

Wow. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been asked that four or five times. SO… I do have a design about ready to code out that is as you say a “Smoothie”…and by the way THANK YOU…. I am stealing that word!!! Innocent We typically have our lights done in HA-III and that is always of course black. Our finisher does every color under the moon. If I build one you like I am more than happy to have it anodized any color you like. We do that often. Thumbs Up TL

Hey, go for it. I like the word, too. Send me your address, and I’ll mail you the royalty papers… Big Smile

As far as HA3, is it going to be that rough chalky finish like on an L2? For some reason, that just bugs me. Also seems to hang onto oily fingerprints and the like as if it were paper. I really like the smooth semigloss finish of (don’t smack me!) the ’502s that I have. I think it’s also the Convoy C8 that has that dark-gray semi-chalky finish compared to cheap C8 clones, which (ironically) are a nicer semigloss.

But the S2+es have that nice smooth ano where you can see the shininess of the base metal underneath. That gray “gunmetal” color (vs bright “chrome’) is awesome on my 2D Mag. Never saw any lights in that finish since.

And I gotta say, I really really like the simplicity of the Mags. Everyone and his grandmother can have a light that looks like an odd assortment of leftover plumbing parts. Been done to death. But a nice heavy hunk o’ metal, a simple but elegant and bespoke design? Ain’t out there. For the same reason people like brass and copper, it’s Something Special.

So yeah, a nice “smoothie” with no rings or gouges or any of that rot, a band of minimal knurling (maybe an option for no knurling?), just a nice rounded tube of P60 goodness… man, that’d be awesome.

Btw, I really like the tulip-shaped heads like in the pic.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 18094
Location: nyc

I always wanted copper, but didn’t want to make a hobby of polishing it to keep it shiny. And it doesn’t passivate like aluminum.

Wonder if there’s a shade of pigment that’d make an Al piece look like bright shiny Cu.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.

Lightbringer wrote:
TexasLumens wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Just curious… would you be planning any kind of “smoothie”, kinda like a M*glite? Ie, a straight-pipe design, slightly rounded tailcap, minimal knurling just in a band around the battery-tube.

I know, I know, lots of people like their lightsabres and all, with all the gouges and rings and ridges and whatnot, but sometimes simplicity is best. Big Smile

Dunno if you’re planning any kind of ano on the Al lights, but a shiny medium-gray “gunmetal” would look awesome in that kind of design.

Wow. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been asked that four or five times. SO… I do have a design about ready to code out that is as you say a “Smoothie”…and by the way THANK YOU…. I am stealing that word!!! Innocent We typically have our lights done in HA-III and that is always of course black. Our finisher does every color under the moon. If I build one you like I am more than happy to have it anodized any color you like. We do that often. Thumbs Up TL

Hey, go for it. I like the word, too. Send me your address, and I’ll mail you the royalty papers… Big Smile

As far as HA3, is it going to be that rough chalky finish like on an L2? For some reason, that just bugs me. Also seems to hang onto oily fingerprints and the like as if it were paper. I really like the smooth semigloss finish of (don’t smack me!) the ’502s that I have. I think it’s also the Convoy C8 that has that dark-gray semi-chalky finish compared to cheap C8 clones, which (ironically) are a nicer semigloss.

But the S2+es have that nice smooth ano where you can see the shininess of the base metal underneath. That gray “gunmetal” color (vs bright “chrome’) is awesome on my 2D Mag. Never saw any lights in that finish since.

And I gotta say, I really really like the simplicity of the Mags. Everyone and his grandmother can have a light that looks like an odd assortment of leftover plumbing parts. Been done to death. But a nice heavy hunk o’ metal, a simple but elegant and bespoke design? Ain’t out there. For the same reason people like brass and copper, it’s Something Special.

So yeah, a nice “smoothie” with no rings or gouges or any of that rot, a band of minimal knurling (maybe an option for no knurling?), just a nice rounded tube of P60 goodness… man, that’d be awesome.

Btw, I really like the tulip-shaped heads like in the pic.

So far, our finisher has been good about producing the HAIII in what is almost identical to of the Solarforce lights I see. The finish has been more of a satin look than that total matt and overly done extra thick chalk you are speaking of. We have some lights right now at a different finisher that “Claims” they can put on a thin, clean, even powder coat. I took them a sample and they said they can match it…. we’ll see.

I have a couple of those silver Mags. That is a nice anodizing and like you, I haven’t seen too many of those. Not sure about the copper look you spoke of. I’ll be at our finisher next week and will ask. THANKS!!! TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

djburkes
djburkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/16/2015 - 11:00
Posts: 1829
Location: Arkansas

I’m definitely in for a few hosts!!!!

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13475
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Is each component machined in one operation in the same machine?

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Be still my heart!!!!! … Those look great……. Thumbs UpBeer

When you have them for public sale (or any sale you choose) I surely want one. Thumbs Up (as I have said before… Wink …)

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

TexasLumens
TexasLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/25/2012 - 23:29
Posts: 1133
Location: Amarillo, Texas U.S.A.
MRsDNF wrote:
Is each component machined in one operation in the same machine?

Close but typically, no. For instance on the heads & tail caps. The machine faces the part, drills the part, bores and threads the ID. Then it cuts the OD to shape, and cuts the part off the stock. We do whatever number like that that we want to do. Then, we use the established threads to mount the part on a jig, face off and bore to size and thread the other end or in the case of a tail cap, bore / drill the switch cover opening and machine away the end recess as required.

We will have C axis live tooling in awhile. Wink

Just drop by and you can watch!!! Wink We are looking to do some live streaming of the machine but we have hit a problem or two keeping it wireless. Danged steel building!!!

TL

Texas Lumens Website… http://www.texaslumens.com

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Pages