ALIVE: Astrolux S42 groupbuy: US$ 25.95

799 posts / 0 new
Last post
Petroleum Lante...
Petroleum Lantern Guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2017 - 15:15
Posts: 132
Location: Germany

Damn, I also have one in the mail… Serves me right for buying something without a review.
I thought it would automatically be good because the s41 was well liked, but apparently that doesn’t mean anything .

I love all kinds of lights... storm lanterns, kosmos & matador lamps, gas lanterns, tallow lanterns, flashlights, lasers, tritium vials...

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17533
Location: Amsterdam

Petroleum Lantern Guy wrote:
Damn, I also have one in the mail… Serves me right for buying something without a review.
I thought it would automatically be good because the s41 was well liked, but apparently that doesn’t mean anything .

I buy chinese things with flaws for 5 years now, and still I really thought this time te risk was low that there would be great mistakes.
*it is far from the first Astrolux flashlight, they should know sizes by now and that some basic testing is needed before production
*in earlier Astrolux lights, Banggood has gone through a great many angry customers that they had to refund or send repair parts. They must not have liked that.
*before the S42 was released, the Mateminco branded version was already available for the chinese market, there must have been earlier reports of it not even basically working. Facepalm

In contrast, Intl-outdoor will be releasing their D4 flashlight at the end of this month, I do not know of course how flawless it will be, but Hank mentioned that he is EDC-ing it at the moment. That will exclude so many problems already!

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Tom E wrote:

Well, it’s not so easy. I have a couple BLF A6’s, so the S41/S42 tube is listed as an A6 tube. So if the A6 tubes I have are the same as what they are selling, it won’t work straight up.

They’re not the same.
The 18650 tube is the same as the Astrolux S1 tube.
Slightly taller and the threaded sections have a slightly larger diameter than the A6 tubes.
Charga
Charga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 16:58
Posts: 381
Location: Deutschland

djozz wrote:
Petroleum Lantern Guy wrote:
Damn, I also have one in the mail… Serves me right for buying something without a review.
I thought it would automatically be good because the s41 was well liked, but apparently that doesn’t mean anything .

I buy chinese things with flaws for 5 years now, and still I really thought this time te risk was low that there would be great mistakes.
*it is far from the first Astrolux flashlight, they should know sizes by now and that some basic testing is needed before production
*in earlier Astrolux lights, Banggood has gone through a great many angry customers that they had to refund or send repair parts. They must not have liked that.
*before the S42 was released, the Mateminco branded version was already available for the chinese market, there must have been earlier reports of it not even basically working. Facepalm

In contrast, Intl-outdoor will be releasing their D4 flashlight at the end of this month, I do not know of course how flawless it will be, but Hank mentioned that he is EDC-ing it at the moment. That will exclude so many problems already!

What ‘Intl-outdoor D4’ light!??

' Lumen est omen '

Hope is no option!

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10634
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Really, Astrolux? … Really?

Double-click from off is mapped to “toggle mode group”?

The cell it’s designed for physically can’t fit?

The USB cover falls off if you look at it wrong?

The driver is press-fit with tabs to keep it from moving?

The optic breaks on attempt to open the head?

It can’t turn off from moon without going through brighter modes?

At least it doesn’t destroy itself on first use like the Cometa.

djozz wrote:
In contrast, Intl-outdoor will be releasing their D4 flashlight at the end of this month

That sounds promising. I’m still looking for a compact and highly mod-friendly e-switch host.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10634
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Given how the UI sounds on paper, and its curious similarities to the BLF-A6, I hope nobody thinks I had anything to do with the S42. That would be super embarrassing.

Astrolux S42

What you thought you were getting…What you actually got:
Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 13915
Location: LI NY

ToyKeeper wrote:
That sounds promising. I'm still looking for a compact and highly mod-friendly e-switch host.

I believe the D4 will be very mod friendly.

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1455
Location: Germany
Tom E wrote:

ToyKeeper wrote:
That sounds promising. I’m still looking for a compact and highly mod-friendly e-switch host.

I believe the D4 will be very mod friendly.

Sorry I don’t know my flashlights. From which manufacturer?

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 13915
Location: LI NY

Jerommel wrote:
Tom E wrote:

Well, it's not so easy. I have a couple BLF A6's, so the S41/S42 tube is listed as an A6 tube. So if the A6 tubes I have are the same as what they are selling, it won't work straight up.

They're not the same. The 18650 tube is the same as the Astrolux S1 tube. Slightly taller and the threaded sections have a slightly larger diameter than the A6 tubes.

Well the BangGood listing of the tube here: https://www.banggood.com/Astrolux-S41-Astrolux-S1 says "BLF A6" right in the heading and description, so you are saying it's not for the BLF A6?

I just thought the BLF A6 tube maybe changed since the beginning?

 

 

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17533
Location: Amsterdam
joechina wrote:
Tom E wrote:

ToyKeeper wrote:
That sounds promising. I’m still looking for a compact and highly mod-friendly e-switch host.

I believe the D4 will be very mod friendly.

Sorry I don’t know my flashlights. From which manufacturer?


It is an intl-outdoor design, the brand name is still unknown (not Noctigon), Hank announced the D4 here.
m_a_schuster
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2016 - 15:01
Posts: 51

Lazy-R-us wrote:
It seems like the simplest solution is to send retaining rings to thread into the head and give some more length to the tube?

 

In my case that's what you HAD to do to make it work.

 The front end of the battery tube never reaches the contact ring on the driver board, so it's open circuit even fully screwed in. I proved this by screwing in the battery tube backward, so that the longer tailcap threads can actually reach the driver board. It would appear that the driver board is glued in place about 2mm too far forward, out of reach. That applies to the short battery tube for the S1/S41 as well as the 18650 battery tube.

The only way I was able to get any life out of it, using ANY battery or tube, was to make a circular shim from a coiled paperclip and wedge it between the driver board and the front rim of the battery tube. This solves the length problem (crushed batteries) as well as the open circuit in the front. My only concern is that the shim might eventually migrate inwards, risking a short circuit if it touches the positive spring in the center of the driver board.

I have contacted Banggood twice about this, using this explanation, and am awaiting a response.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10634
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
djozz wrote:
It is an intl-outdoor design, the brand name is still unknown (not Noctigon), Hank announced the D4 here .

Thanks. It looks fairly similar to the FW3A, but with the switch on the side. Coming from Hank, I’m guessing it’ll be pretty nice. I wonder what the driver and UI will be like.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Tom E wrote:

Jerommel wrote:
Tom E wrote:

Well, it’s not so easy. I have a couple BLF A6’s, so the S41/S42 tube is listed as an A6 tube. So if the A6 tubes I have are the same as what they are selling, it won’t work straight up.

They’re not the same. The 18650 tube is the same as the Astrolux S1 tube. Slightly taller and the threaded sections have a slightly larger diameter than the A6 tubes.

Well the BangGood listing of the tube here: https://www.banggood.com/Astrolux-S41-Astrolux-S1 says “BLF A6” right in the heading and description, so you are saying it’s not for the BLF A6?

Yep, it’s not gonna fit in the A6.
It will fit the S1 and the S41S. Your A6 tube has a loose fit in the S42, doesn’t it?
And i’m sure the S42 tube will not fit in the A6
But they mess up the short tubes too..
You order a S1 tube and you may well get a A6 tube or vice versa…
Charga
Charga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 16:58
Posts: 381
Location: Deutschland
djozz wrote:
joechina wrote:
Tom E wrote:

ToyKeeper wrote:
That sounds promising. I’m still looking for a compact and highly mod-friendly e-switch host.

I believe the D4 will be very mod friendly.

Sorry I don’t know my flashlights. From which manufacturer?


It is an intl-outdoor design, the brand name is still unknown (not Noctigon), Hank announced the D4 here.

Thanks for this info!!

' Lumen est omen '

Hope is no option!

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 666

is the driver 17mm diameter? maybe we could swap it for the mtn fet driver

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

It’s 20mm (maybe 21mm) driver:

Charga
Charga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 16:58
Posts: 381
Location: Deutschland

IF the light lights up – how is the output on turbo!?

' Lumen est omen '

Hope is no option!

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 666

Jerommel wrote:
It’s 20mm (maybe 21mm) driver:

!{width:60%}https://i.imgur.com/fkak6DG.jpg!


Well we could use a 17 to 20mm adapter ring

But I really hope there is a way to flash another firmware to the stock driver

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 1041
Location: Sweden

Well, I haven’t received mine yet; but it sure sounds like BangGood have made a real mess of this.

The only way I can think of to solve the problem, that all customers can apply without help, is if BangGood distributed new battery tubes of a dimension that works with the other components to all customers (without us having to go through the third degree with customer service).

Maybe M4d M4x could have a word with Swi?

mezzmen7
mezzmen7's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2017 - 16:18
Posts: 53
Location: San Francisco, CA

That output seems ok , it seems good for really close range flood ..but that’s if you can get it to turbo .. I should of spent more time reading the manual or watch a YouTube video.. because it’s like a puzzle trying to get it on then to turbo ..I’m probably missing something but it’s so weird…If there’s a way to make it off and on only turbo I would do it

Roadie
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 12/02/2015 - 12:54
Posts: 60
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I’ve tested the USB charging on the S42. It was able to charge the 18350 battery in it, but when it’s fully changed, the battery level indicator shows 4 blinks, not a full battery 5 blinks. The battery is a new KeepPower IMR battery. I am not home so I didn’t have a chance to test the battery with a multimeter. But it seems that either the battery isn’t fully charged by the flashlight, or the battery level indicator function on the flashlight isn’t accurate.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 13915
Location: LI NY

In 7 mode set, click to moon then press&hold - turbo comes on. It's right there in the manual. Some funky stuff - dbl-click toggles between 7 modes and 4 modes, press&hold when OFF goes into lockout and turns off the dragon's breath. Didn't check parasitic drain, but interesting what it is with the dragon's breath running.

 

mezzmen7
mezzmen7's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2017 - 16:18
Posts: 53
Location: San Francisco, CA

Thanks I was trying to read it before work but now i get it .. dragons breath that’s some fancy stuff lol

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8816
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

Hey my friends!

Astrolux told me they noticed that some customers did not like the rubber covers.

so they came up with a version that sits tighter in its place:

The new design will be mounted on the next batch of lights.

AND it can be ordered for free if you bought an Astrolux S42 already
(procedure to be announced when stock arrived)

 all new deals are also posted here: deals.m4dm4x.com
if you do not find what you are looking for :

ask MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will save you money!

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5840
Location: Maine

M4D M4X wrote:

Hey my friends!

Astrolux told me they noticed that some customers did not like the rubber covers.


so they came up with a version that sits tighter in its place:



The new design will be mounted on the next batch of lights.


AND it can be ordered for free if you bought an Astrolux S42 already
(procedure to be announced when stock arrived)


Could they possibly include one with what ever fix they come up with for the battery tube? Thats the big issue for me, I dont want to have to tear into this light and mod it right out of the box

Edit: I didnt notice the “for free” after “AND it can be ordered” lol

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 685
Location: Carolinas, USA

M4D M4X wrote:

Hey my friends!

Astrolux told me they noticed that some customers did not like the rubber covers.

AND it can be ordered for free if you bought an Astrolux S42 already
(procedure to be announced when stock arrived)


Hello Martin, Thank you for the update and we know this ain’t your fault.

This is all well and good that Astrolux will update the charge port cover, buuut, if we can’t get a battery inside the light, who cares?

[new car gets released]
customers: “The engine doesn’t run, and the roof leaks!”
manufacturer: “We will ship new cars with a different roof!”

Lazy-R-us

emerel
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 01/26/2013 - 16:09
Posts: 16
Location: Europe
Thumbs Up Beer good direction Smile
mezzmen7
mezzmen7's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2017 - 16:18
Posts: 53
Location: San Francisco, CA

So would they need to make a tail cap with a shorter spring? Does that fix the problem… I just know it smashed my negative side in then it worked

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5840
Location: Maine

I am guessing that the charger port cover was an easier fix, and they are working on the best (most profit friendly) fix for the tube right now

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5840
Location: Maine

From the sounds of it”

1: the springs are too long/stiff, even with one spring removed
2: the threads on the head end of the tube are too short to contact the driver. I think this ones a random flaw though?

Pages