Sofirn SP10B - Anyone?

182 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China
Sprinkles wrote:
This is so weird. I tried adding other lights from their store, and it won’t let me buy any of them. It just gives me the same message that the seller has either discontinued selling them for they are out of stock.

Dear friend, just see franchise store with Sofirn for SP10A/B,Sofirn SP10A/B

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 595
Location: USA
Hedy wrote:
SP10A all the same with SP10B, all with the same function 4+1 modes, just the black color called SP10A, the blue and red color called SP10B. You can see this link on Aliexpress Sofirn SP10A/B

I’m really confused now, the black one I got on amazon says SP10B

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6254
Location: Portugal
Blackbeard wrote:
Hedy wrote:
SP10A all the same with SP10B, all with the same function 4+1 modes, just the black color called SP10A, the blue and red color called SP10B. You can see this link on Aliexpress Sofirn SP10A/B

I’m really confused now, the black one I got on amazon says SP10B

@ Blackbeard: Hedy is not from Sofrin Official Store! On that store that the link leads to, there may be some “old” black SP10B.
On Sofirn stores I guess you will probably find the SP10B being sold (currently) in red and blue. The black version is now the SP10A.

@ Hedy : I guess that if you are a seller and can give discounts, that is nice, members here appreciate discounts for sure! But I think that you should indicate that you are a seller and make you also make own thread of discounts for the products you offer, instead of these “disguised as Sofirn” links.

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 595
Location: USA

well it definently does not fit longer protected cells, and it says 10B is the black version, thought it would be the newer model, I only have a few 14500’s and 2 are newer fenix cells which are very long, my older ones are not long for this world so it may be an issue in the coming months where I will have to just run it on NI-MH, kinda dissapointing, even the pic on amazon for the black one just says sp10. amazon had a promo and it came with free SD02 diving light so it was a helluva deal for just the price of the AA model

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3094
Location: United States , Pa.

Blackbeard wrote:
I have to agree, the moonlight is so low its not really usable, I just got one of these cause of the promo where you get a free 1000 lumen diving light, good deal for $15ish.

My fenix protected cell is too long and it wont work in this light, I put an older & shorter trustfire 14500 in and it works, but I’m not seeing any brightness jump over a NI-MH, but the battery was a little low at 3.7V, so I’m charging it now and will try again.

Side by side with Klarus MI-7 and its getting blown away by the Klarus atm. Will give it another shot after the cell is fully
charged.

Really thought they had addressed the protected length issue, but seems its still problematic.

Edit/ didn’t realize turbo was hidden like some olights, will update after my battery comes off charger, hopefully it’s closer to the Klarus output

The Fenix protected fits in my B .

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 595
Location: USA

pennzy wrote:
Blackbeard wrote:
I have to agree, the moonlight is so low its not really usable, I just got one of these cause of the promo where you get a free 1000 lumen diving light, good deal for $15ish.

My fenix protected cell is too long and it wont work in this light, I put an older & shorter trustfire 14500 in and it works, but I’m not seeing any brightness jump over a NI-MH, but the battery was a little low at 3.7V, so I’m charging it now and will try again.

Side by side with Klarus MI-7 and its getting blown away by the Klarus atm. Will give it another shot after the cell is fully
charged.

Really thought they had addressed the protected length issue, but seems its still problematic.

Edit/ didn’t realize turbo was hidden like some olights, will update after my battery comes off charger, hopefully it’s closer to the Klarus output

The Fenix protected fits in my B .

what color is yours?

so what exactly am I holding here? It put a decent chip in the wrapper on the positive end of a fairly new fenix protected cell, I’m not willing to crank the tailcap any harder. it is the exact same length as klarus MI-7 which has no problem with that cell and slightly shorter then Lumintop tool AA with the clickie installed. I would say all 3 of these lights have about the same output on highest settings, with 14500, with the sofirn being the warmest tint and tightest hot spot.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3094
Location: United States , Pa.

Mine is a black one purchased 1 month ago from Amazon . I think further back in this thread I read they lengthened the Bs . Maybe the other thread .

Thewrights11
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/31/2017 - 14:24
Posts: 13
Location: US

Is is possible to flash a different firmware on the SP10B? Possibly a ramping UI?

eas
eas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 07/14/2014 - 18:53
Posts: 1363
Location: PNW

Possible? Probably, but I don’t think anyone has done it, or even identified the MCU (microcontroller).

floydo
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2014 - 15:38
Posts: 15
Location: Home
MascaratumB wrote:
Blackbeard wrote:
can sp10b take protected 14500?

From another post, in another thread about the SP10A, AgentSteel said this about batteries in the SP10A:

AgentSteel wrote:
No problem with Eneloops, they fit well in mine.

As for my 14500’s, just testing right now :

  • Olight ORB-145P07 (protected, 53mm long) : do not work (very tight fit, no power on)
  • KeepPower P1450C ver.2017 (unprotected my bad, they are protected, 52mm long) : tight fit, working

So I’ll see how it does with the keeppower battery (cutoff at 2.8V according to Sofirn specs)

So, my guess is that some protected fit, while others don’t fit! Even some Ni-MH may not fit, as on my SF14. The battery tubes are identical (a “defective” first batch), so it may depend a little

So far I didn’t see a review on the SP10B, I guess some of us are getting them on the next days/weeks. But my guess is that it will be the same as SP10A, as the hosts are the same, only the driver changes Thumbs Up

Received a red SP10B and tried it with an older Keeppower 14500 840mAh battery. No go. The battery sticks out of the barrel 0.83mm including the plastic surround on the neg end, and the cap does not bottom on the barrel when tightened the same distance. The measured battery length is 54.5mm, so the newer 800mAh (spec 54mm) would be close..(reported working per quote on the SP10A). The cap appears to have some unanodized threads at the base. Carefully scraping around the initial barrel threads allowed contact, but the back does not seat fully seat.
I would not recommend the 840mAh battery with this light……electrical contact puts a lot of pressure on battery terminals…just too long….

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

FYI, I have a Sanyo protected (EVVA) 14500 cell that is 52.3mm long, and it does not work in my red SP10B either. My shorter unprotected Sanyo cell works fine.

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads

Definitely best batteries for SP10B are Soshine 880mAh yellow- white. Only 6-7$ for set of 4pcs!
I believe GearBest still have them..

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3094
Location: United States , Pa.

The Fenix 800 is 52mm long and works in my SP 10 a and b. The older ones were shorter.

floydo
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2014 - 15:38
Posts: 15
Location: Home
pennzy wrote:
The Fenix 800 is 52mm long and works in my SP 10 a and b. The older ones were shorter.

The older batteries or SPs?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14038
Location: nyc
NikolaS wrote:
Definitely best batteries for SP10B are Soshine 880mAh yellow- white. Only 6-7$ for set of 4pcs! I believe GearBest still have them..

8bux a pop now, but yeah.

Gawd, shipping seems to be cumulative for each pack. 2bux’n‘change for 1 pack, 4 for 2 pax, imagine it just keeps going up.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3094
Location: United States , Pa.
floydo wrote:
pennzy wrote:
The Fenix 800 is 52mm long and works in my SP 10 a and b. The older ones were shorter.

The older batteries or SPs?


The first Sp 10s were shorter. I remember reading that in a review.
Tactman
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2018 - 12:44
Posts: 22
Location: Europe

shall we make a definitive list of ‘sp10b friendly’ protected 14500?

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 595
Location: USA

My e switch rattles a bit, is this normal?

korkfoto
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/28/2017 - 11:09
Posts: 260
Location: Romania

Has anyone tried to fit a magnet to the tailcap? How deep is that groove? Maybe something like these https://www.gearbest.com/classic-toys/pp_443271.html?

FIAT LUX!

wellerus
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2018 - 07:18
Posts: 83

Could someone confirm, will this protected KeepPower 14500 battery fit into Sofirn SPB10B or which one do you suggest?

https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-KeepPower-14500-800mAh-3_7v-Protected-Rech...

floydo
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/01/2014 - 15:38
Posts: 15
Location: Home

wellerus wrote:
Could someone confirm, will this protected KeepPower 14500 battery fit into Sofirn SPB10B or which one do you suggest?

https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-KeepPower-14500-800mAh-3_7v-Protected-Rech...

Read post 161 above….

mcherry
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 11/21/2017 - 18:34
Posts: 33
Location: United States

wellerus wrote:
Could someone confirm, will this protected KeepPower 14500 battery fit into Sofirn SPB10B or which one do you suggest?

https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-KeepPower-14500-800mAh-3_7v-Protected-Rech...

Yes,it does work with it.

korkfoto
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/28/2017 - 11:09
Posts: 260
Location: Romania

Does these Soshines fit in the SP10B?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Soshine-4pc-3-7V-ICR-14500-900mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-with-Safety-Relief-Valve-Battery/32823335849.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.2jU8Ak

Thank you!

FIAT LUX!

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads

korkfoto wrote:
Does these Soshines fit in the SP10B?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Soshine-4pc-3-7V-ICR-14500-900mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-with-Safety-Relief-Valve-Battery/32823335849.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.2jU8Ak

Thank you!

Yes they fit perfectly Thumbs Up great batteries btw.

korkfoto
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/28/2017 - 11:09
Posts: 260
Location: Romania

NikolaS, thank you very much!

FIAT LUX!

korkfoto
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/28/2017 - 11:09
Posts: 260
Location: Romania

Received my 2 SP10Bs: red and blue, as well and 1 charger and battery.
The Sofirn battery holds 848 mAh – fast tested with Liitokala Lii-500.

They look nice and cute.
The red one has a dent in the threads.
The anodization looks a bit thin.

Tested with 2300 mAh Ni-Mh battery from Lidl (glitter colored): 1 h 40 min on medium until it stopped emitting light.
Will follow with the Soshine white/yellow 900 mAh.

Both of them have the little bug in the UI that actually I find useful:
Long press form OFF puts the light in the memorised mode (apart MAX and Strobe).
Short press from OFF puts the light in Moonlight.

More thoughts to come.

FIAT LUX!

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6254
Location: Portugal

korkfoto wrote:

Both of them have the little bug in the UI that actually I find useful:
Long press form OFF puts the light in the memorised mode (apart MAX and Strobe).
Short press from OFF puts the light in Moonlight.

It ain’t a bug Wink It is a “standard spec” on this new driver / UI, and it has been reported on this or in other thread related to the SP10A or B Wink
Pretty nice, we can access at least 4 different modes from OFF Wink (ML ; last used mode if not ML; Turbo; Strobe)

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14038
Location: nyc

I’ve been carrying around the old A for a while, and got an appreciation for that. Just LMH, no F, and yeah (ugh) 2click to strobe.

Nicely balanced modes.

Also like the B, with FLM, 2click to H, 3click to strobe.

Now there’s a new one with a different UI? Aaaaugh! It’s a plot to get me to just keep buying more and more lights!!

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

korkfoto
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/28/2017 - 11:09
Posts: 260
Location: Romania

An innocent add to the flashlight - GTID tape on the power button.

As I didn't manage to attach here the images, here's a link with them: https://imgur.com/gallery/RyqdtO7

FIAT LUX!

Tactman
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2018 - 12:44
Posts: 22
Location: Europe
Blackbeard wrote:
My e switch rattles a bit, is this normal?

mine as well…i don’t know is this normal but i don’t like it Shocked

Pages