Flashlight recommendation

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53

patmurris wrote:
Who doesn’t want more lumens in the same light form factor? And yes it is now possible to get multi thousand lumens out of a 18650 tube light. One of the most cited “best light” of 2017 is the Emisar D4. The XPL version can put out more then 4000 lumens out of a light the size of a S2 – even a tad smaller… But about five times the price.

However, with actual led efficiency, there is a limit to what a tube light can sustain because of the heat. Even a regular Convoy S2 with 8×7135 close to 1k lumen will get pretty hot on high. Some argue that 6×7135 is better in that regard. The above mentioned D4 can’t really sustain more then 600 lumen for some time. The multi thousand lumen turbo is only good for a few seconds before the head becomes too hot to handle.

That said, i would recommend the BLF A6. Essentially a S2 revisited by BLF enthusiasts. Seven brightness levels from moon to 1400 lumen turbo. A must have budget and very versatile light. Can often be found around $20.

Agree. I think the issue with Nitecore, Eagtac etc. is that they don’t publish runtime on the highest setting but they use high lumens are the main highlight on the flashlight. After S2+ arrives and I have some time to play with it, I am going to look into BLF A6 and others. Is there a particular config of A6 that you recommend?

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4292
Location: Vancouver, Canada

It would be cool to see more flashlights with XHP70.2s but driven at really low levels like 1000lm instead of like 3000+
This would give a very high efficiency for longer runtime on max, and no heat issues.
It would be closer to 200lm/W at 1000lm, compared to the 100lm/W for an XP-L HI at the same output.
Less throw, but double the runtime and less waste heat!

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1723
Location: Nice, France
mikeymikey wrote:
patmurris wrote:
Who doesn’t want more lumens… That said, i would recommend the BLF A6. Essentially a S2 revisited by BLF enthusiasts. Seven brightness levels from moon to 1400 lumen turbo. A must have budget and very versatile light. Can often be found around $20.

Agree… Is there a particular config of A6 that you recommend?


Well… there are not many options apart from the led tint. My preference goes to 3D NW – but that’s just a matter of taste. The 18350 tube is nice to make a shorty pocket rocket. Even better if you can find one of those Aspire 1100mAh 18350 cells. I think they are discontinued but other similar cells have come – up but much more expensive. The bare Al A6 is pretty nice too. Just a different finish without anodizing.

Seriously, the BLF A6 is probably the ultimate budget 18650 tube light – especially for the price. I forgot to mention no visible PWM. The only things missing would be a choice of other emitters, OP or smooth reflector and USB charging. But just as is it is a great value light you’ll find a use for no question. You’ll probably want a couple of them. Lol. Wink

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53

thx for the tips. Will order an A6 as well…

Dman7777
Dman7777's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/02/2017 - 11:50
Posts: 102
Location: United States

The blf A6 is a great light and a great value.

If you want a small premium quality 18650 light less than $100 you should consider zebralight. They offer models in every tint and beam pattern. People who have zebralights swear by them.
Something like this would do nicely. http://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-Mk-III-HI-18650-Flashlight-with-Neutral-White-High-Intensity-XHP35_p_179.html

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53

Looks like 3D NW out of US warehouse is sold out. Is there a difference between buying the ones from Chinese warehouse other than the long shipping time?

What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…

Finnno
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 12/17/2017 - 13:25
Posts: 194
Location: Europe

patmurris wrote:
Who doesn’t want more lumens in the same light form factor? And yes it is now possible to get multi thousand lumens out of a 18650 tube light. One of the most cited “best light” of 2017 is the Emisar D4. The XPL version can put out more then 4000 lumens out of a light the size of a S2 – even a tad smaller… But about five times the price.

However, with actual led efficiency, there is a limit to what a tube light can sustain because of the heat. Even a regular Convoy S2 with 8×7135 close to 1k lumen will get pretty hot on high. Some argue that 6×7135 is better in that regard. The above mentioned D4 can’t really sustain more then 600 lumen for some time. The multi thousand lumen turbo is only good for a few seconds before the head becomes too hot to handle.

That said, i would recommend the BLF A6. Essentially a S2 revisited by BLF enthusiasts. Seven brightness levels from moon to 1400 lumen turbo. A must have budget and very versatile light. Can often be found around $20.

Thumbs Up Nicely wrapped up

Spread love, it pays off

Dman7777
Dman7777's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/02/2017 - 11:50
Posts: 102
Location: United States

mikeymikey wrote:

What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…

They are in fact the exact same. Astrolux manufactures both.
adnj
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/12/2012 - 22:04
Posts: 480

ChrYoko wrote:
you can look at the BLF A6 XPL

BLF A6

cheap and very good. i have one Cool

Sofirn has also some cheap but very good ones in kit with battery and charger

Sofirn store

A6 is the way to go.

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53
Dman7777 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…
They are in fact the exact same. Astrolux manufactures both.

Any idea why Astrolux S1 listing on banggood says not to use NCR18650B. I thought that was a good battery…
BLF A6 listing does not say that…

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania
mikeymikey wrote:
Dman7777 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…
They are in fact the exact same. Astrolux manufactures both.

Any idea why Astrolux S1 listing on banggood says not to use NCR18650B. I thought that was a good battery…
BLF A6 listing does not say that…

I see no reason you couldn’t use an NCR18650B, but with that battery you won’t get it’s full potential. So you would get longer run time but less brightness on turbo, a better choice would be an 18650GA.

However to achieve maximum output on turbo in the S1/A6 you need a battery that is capable of delivering higher amperage, or a “high drain” battery.

In the A6 listing it shows that recommendation: “(INR18650-30Q 3000mah suggested)”

This battery:
https://www.banggood.com/1PCS-NR18650-30Q-3000mah-20A-Power-Li-ion-Batte...

Or if you’re in the US and want it sooner:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id...
or
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-30q-18650-3000mah-15a-flat-top-batt...

These are also comparable to the 30Q:
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/sony-vtc6-3000...
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/lg-hg2-18650-b...

I also notice the S1 is available in USA warehouse (not sure if you’re in the US?) and also in stock in the 3D tint if you want Neutral White.

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania

mikeymikey wrote:
What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…
The BLF A6 is also Chinese, as Dman7777 said the Astrolux S1 is made by the same people who produced the BLF A6. They just re branded it and added it to their line, (which by the way is Banggood’s own “In House Brand”) Same as they did with the BLF X5/X6 (Astrolux S3/S2)

I have the BLF A6 in 3D, but if I wanted another one today I’d order the S1 because it’s in stock in US warehouse and available in 3D tint.

 

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53
beam0 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Dman7777 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…
They are in fact the exact same. Astrolux manufactures both.

Any idea why Astrolux S1 listing on banggood says not to use NCR18650B. I thought that was a good battery…
BLF A6 listing does not say that…

I see no reason you couldn’t use an NCR18650B, but with that battery you won’t get it’s full potential. So you would get longer run time but less brightness on turbo, a better choice would be an 18650GA.

However to achieve maximum output on turbo in the S1/A6 you need a battery that is capable of delivering higher amperage, or a “high drain” battery.

In the A6 listing it shows that recommendation: “(INR18650-30Q 3000mah suggested)”

This battery:
https://www.banggood.com/1PCS-NR18650-30Q-3000mah-20A-Power-Li-ion-Batte...

Or if you’re in the US and want it sooner:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id...
or
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-30q-18650-3000mah-15a-flat-top-batt...

These are also comparable to the 30Q:
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/sony-vtc6-3000...
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/lg-hg2-18650-b...

I also notice the S1 is available in USA warehouse (not sure if you’re in the US?) and also in stock in the 3D tint if you want Neutral White.

Super helpful. I will order the S1 today. Don’t want to deal with slow boat from China.
Should I go with protected battery for this?
It is interesting to see that Samsung batter is rated at 15A and that’s what IMR shows. But banggood uses 20A in its title (like overstated lumens on Chinese flashlights).

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania
mikeymikey wrote:
beam0 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Dman7777 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…
They are in fact the exact same. Astrolux manufactures both.

Any idea why Astrolux S1 listing on banggood says not to use NCR18650B. I thought that was a good battery…
BLF A6 listing does not say that…

I see no reason you couldn’t use an NCR18650B, but with that battery you won’t get it’s full potential. So you would get longer run time but less brightness on turbo, a better choice would be an 18650GA.

However to achieve maximum output on turbo in the S1/A6 you need a battery that is capable of delivering higher amperage, or a “high drain” battery.

In the A6 listing it shows that recommendation: “(INR18650-30Q 3000mah suggested)”

This battery:
https://www.banggood.com/1PCS-NR18650-30Q-3000mah-20A-Power-Li-ion-Batte...

Or if you’re in the US and want it sooner:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id...
or
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-30q-18650-3000mah-15a-flat-top-batt...

These are also comparable to the 30Q:
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/sony-vtc6-3000...
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/lg-hg2-18650-b...

I also notice the S1 is available in USA warehouse (not sure if you’re in the US?) and also in stock in the 3D tint if you want Neutral White.

Super helpful. I will order the S1 today. Don’t want to deal with slow boat from China.
Should I go with protected battery for this?
It is interesting to see that Samsung batter is rated at 15A and that’s what IMR shows. But banggood uses 20A in its title (like overstated lumens on Chinese flashlights).


Something I should have added is all the batteries I’ve listed are UNPROTECTED, so you will need to be aware of the safety risks of using an unprotected battery, lots of info on that here if you search the forum, but mainly be sure you don’t run them down too far during use. Also use a quality charger so you don’t risk overcharging them. Best to use a DMM/voltmeter to check their voltage often and keep them topped off. I try to not let mine get below 3.5v, and NEVER below 3v. Also it’s very important to be careful not to leave the flashlight turned on by accident.

Of course there is much more to be said about Li-Ion battery safety, protected or unprotected. Use the search words “battery safety” here on BLF and you will find a ton of information. Here’s a good resource thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45314

.

You could use a protected battery in the S1/A6 but again you won’t achieve maximum output on turbo. The protection circuit limits the amperage draw to around maybe 5-6 amps max. None of the really high drain battery’s are fitted with a protection circuit because it would defeat the purpose.

As far as the 20A rating on Banggood in the title they are probably referring to pulse not continuous, I’ve read pulse is typically considered to be around 30 seconds, if you look in the description in Banggood under “specifications” you will see the 15A spec: “Max. continuous discharge: 15A”

On my A6 I really can’t see much difference in brightness between a 30Q and a 18650GA, maybe if I had two of them I could notice a difference side by side, but I think the main reason is the springs are not bypassed on mine, so the GA possibly supplies enough amperage for mine.

 

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4610
Location: United States , Pa.

Why doesn’t someone make a high discharge protected battery that cuts off at a higher current ? Seems to be a market for one .

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania

pennzy wrote:
Why doesn’t someone make a high discharge protected battery that cuts off at a higher current ? Seems to be a market for one .
It appears there is. The 5-6 amp cutoff I was referring to was for most run-of-the-mill protected batteries. After re reading what I wrote I began to remember seeing ones with a higher cutoff, so I had another look at Liion Wholesale’s listings and found they have two that apparently have a 12-13A cutoff, although the cells themselves are rated to deliver 10A max continuous:

“These are manufactured with a very high quality Seiko PCB with AO MOSFETs for 12-13A high current cutoff (most PCBs will not allow this much current)”:

Protected LG MJ1 3500mAh 10A 18650 Button Top

Protected Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Button Top

It appears if you want a protected cell that can still deliver up to 10A these will do it. So it may be true that these would deliver maximum output in an off the shelf A6/S1?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in here to confirm. I haven’t tested it myself but I recall reading a stock A6/S1 will pull around 5 amps max with a high drain cell. Even though a regular Panasonic 18650B can provide 5 or 6 amps, something about the lower internal resistance of the high drain cells like 30Q, HG2, VTC6 etc. will actually provide more current at lower voltages than what a regular 18560B will do, in effect giving more brightness for a longer time period as the battery discharges.

I would also like to know if these protected 10A MJ1 and GA with “12-13A high quality Seiko PCB with AO MOSFETs” would provide performance equal to an unprotected 30Q, HG2, VTC6 in hot rod flashlights that pull less than 10 amps.

 

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53
beam0 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Dman7777 wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
What’s the opinion of Astrolux S1? Looks like Chinese clone of BLF A6…
They are in fact the exact same. Astrolux manufactures both.

Any idea why Astrolux S1 listing on banggood says not to use NCR18650B. I thought that was a good battery…
BLF A6 listing does not say that…

I see no reason you couldn’t use an NCR18650B, but with that battery you won’t get it’s full potential. So you would get longer run time but less brightness on turbo, a better choice would be an 18650GA.

However to achieve maximum output on turbo in the S1/A6 you need a battery that is capable of delivering higher amperage, or a “high drain” battery.

In the A6 listing it shows that recommendation: “(INR18650-30Q 3000mah suggested)”

This battery:
https://www.banggood.com/1PCS-NR18650-30Q-3000mah-20A-Power-Li-ion-Batte...

Or if you’re in the US and want it sooner:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id...
or
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-30q-18650-3000mah-15a-flat-top-batt...

These are also comparable to the 30Q:
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/sony-vtc6-3000...
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/lg-hg2-18650-b...

I also notice the S1 is available in USA warehouse (not sure if you’re in the US?) and also in stock in the 3D tint if you want Neutral White.

Got the S1 today in the mail and used it with Panasonic NCR18650B. Definitely like it a lot better than S2+ (which is an excellent flashlight too). I think I am going to dedicate the NCR18650B for S2 and get a high drain battery for S1.

Questions:
1) Out of VTC6, 30Q, HG2 what is preferred or are they essentially the same?
2) Since I also got the sort tube, any recommendation for a 18350 high drain battery?
3) I don’t like the clip that came with S1. The two end pieces are sharp and protrude bit too much; almost poke into pant pockets. Are there better clips?
4) Is low voltage protection on S1 pretty robust? I don’t want to keep taking out the batter to check for voltage.
5) Does the mode memory reset when battery is removed?

Thx for all the help.

Thx for all the help folks.

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1723
Location: Nice, France

mikeymikey wrote:

Got the S1 today in the mail and used it with Panasonic NCR18650B. Definitely like it a lot better than S2+ (which is an excellent flashlight too). I think I am going to dedicate the NCR18650B for S2 and get a high drain battery for S1.

Questions:
1) Out of VTC6, 30Q, HG2 what is preferred or are they essentially the same?
2) Since I also got the sort tube, any recommendation for a 18350 high drain battery?
3) I don’t like the clip that came with S1. The two end pieces are sharp and protrude bit too much; almost poke into pant pockets. Are there better clips?
4) Is low voltage protection on S1 pretty robust? I don’t want to keep taking out the batter to check for voltage.
5) Does the mode memory reset when battery is removed?

Thx for all the help.

Thx for all the help folks.


That was fast! Glad you like it. Once you get used to the UI it is very convenient to be able to navigate back and forth across the brightness levels. You have to practice the ‘short half press’ and ‘long half press’ on the switch. There are also quite some configurable options. See the UI diagram.

1. Yes, pretty much the same. It almost boils down to which better deal you find out there. I’m a bit partial to 30Q’s but it’s probably just because i like the pink wrapping – lol.
2. The best 18350 we’ve had was the Aspire 1100mAh but they seem to be discontinued. Similar cells have come up but at a much higher price. Before the Aspire one ‘good’ cell was an Enercig 18350 (grey) 700mAh. There sure are others, but none with the Aspire capacity – AFAIK.
3. no idea
4. Not sure since i usually top off my cells after each use. I think the light blinks and steps down so you get a hint of low voltage. This light has no parasitic drain, so the cell inside will not drain doing nothing. I think there is a battery check feature in the UI… not sure – getting confused with all the various UIs. It should blink out the number of volt and 1/10th of volt. Check UI diagram.
5. Unless you set it to have mode memory, it defaults to starting on moon mode. I haven’t used mode memory, but since turning off the light is the same as removing the cell i assume it won’t affect the memory.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4610
Location: United States , Pa.

beam0 wrote:
pennzy wrote:
Why doesn’t someone make a high discharge protected battery that cuts off at a higher current ? Seems to be a market for one .
It appears there is. The 5-6 amp cutoff I was referring to was for most run-of-the-mill protected batteries. After re reading what I wrote I began to remember seeing ones with a higher cutoff, so I had another look at Liion Wholesale’s listings and found they have two that apparently have a 12-13A cutoff, although the cells themselves are rated to deliver 10A max continuous:

“These are manufactured with a very high quality Seiko PCB with AO MOSFETs for 12-13A high current cutoff (most PCBs will not allow this much current)”:

Protected LG MJ1 3500mAh 10A 18650 Button Top

“Protected Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Button

Top”:https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/protected-pana...

It appears if you want a protected cell that can still deliver up to 10A these will do it. So it may be true that these would deliver maximum output in an off the shelf A6/S1?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in here to confirm. I haven’t tested it myself but I recall reading a stock A6/S1 will pull around 5 amps max with a high drain cell. Even though a regular Panasonic 18650B can provide 5 or 6 amps, something about the lower internal resistance of the high drain cells like 30Q, HG2, VTC6 etc. will actually provide more current at lower voltages than what a regular 18560B will do, in effect giving more brightness for a longer time period as the battery discharges.

I would also like to know if these protected 10A MJ1 and GA with “12-13A high quality Seiko PCB with AO MOSFETs” would provide performance equal to an unprotected 30Q, HG2, VTC6 in hot rod flashlights that pull less than 10 amps.

Thanks . I was looking around and found those same cells . A little more expensive than panny-bs . Does a 8×7135 Convoy C8 benefit from a high discharge cell ?

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania

pennzy wrote:
Thanks . I was looking around and found those same cells . A little more expensive than panny-bs . Does a 8×7135 Convoy C8 benefit from a high discharge cell ?
No, because it only pulls 2.8A. For my 8×7135 and fully regulated lights I use a Panny B or GA for the most capacity / longest run time. For some of my fully regulated lights with lesser draw I’ll use lower mAh rated cells or laptop pulls (2000-2800mAh).

I only use High Drain cells like 30Q in lights that have a DD mode (Direct Drive).

 

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53

patmurris wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:

Got the S1 today in the mail and used it with Panasonic NCR18650B. Definitely like it a lot better than S2+ (which is an excellent flashlight too). I think I am going to dedicate the NCR18650B for S2 and get a high drain battery for S1.

Questions:
1) Out of VTC6, 30Q, HG2 what is preferred or are they essentially the same?
2) Since I also got the sort tube, any recommendation for a 18350 high drain battery?
3) I don’t like the clip that came with S1. The two end pieces are sharp and protrude bit too much; almost poke into pant pockets. Are there better clips?
4) Is low voltage protection on S1 pretty robust? I don’t want to keep taking out the batter to check for voltage.
5) Does the mode memory reset when battery is removed?

Thx for all the help.

Thx for all the help folks.


That was fast! Glad you like it. Once you get used to the UI it is very convenient to be able to navigate back and forth across the brightness levels. You have to practice the ‘short half press’ and ‘long half press’ on the switch. There are also quite some configurable options. See the UI diagram.

1. Yes, pretty much the same. It almost boils down to which better deal you find out there. I’m a bit partial to 30Q’s but it’s probably just because i like the pink wrapping – lol.
2. The best 18350 we’ve had was the Aspire 1100mAh but they seem to be discontinued. Similar cells have come up but at a much higher price. Before the Aspire one ‘good’ cell was an Enercig 18350 (grey) 700mAh. There sure are others, but none with the Aspire capacity – AFAIK.
3. no idea
4. Not sure since i usually top off my cells after each use. I think the light blinks and steps down so you get a hint of low voltage. This light has no parasitic drain, so the cell inside will not drain doing nothing. I think there is a battery check feature in the UI… not sure – getting confused with all the various UIs. It should blink out the number of volt and 1/10th of volt. Check UI diagram.
5. Unless you set it to have mode memory, it defaults to starting on moon mode. I haven’t used mode memory, but since turning off the light is the same as removing the cell i assume it won’t affect the memory.

I was surprised too, paid $2 extra to get it from NJ warehouse.
The Li500 charger that I ordered from Ali before Christmas has still not arrived yet.
Don’t think I am going to bother with memory model. I like that flashlight starts in the lowest mode and I can switch to turbo mode with a long press.

sovereignknight
sovereignknight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2016 - 23:44
Posts: 516
Location: Northern California

mikeymikey wrote:
Seems like everyone has their favorite given the number of brands and models offered on the market… Is there one that stands out?

Is this correct to assume that market is moving towards XHP and hence, we are starting to see 2k, 3k in this size range e.g. DX3B?

Jaxman E2L

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_3:16 

Flashlights:

x2 Sk68 modded 1 Nichia 319AT, 1 Cree XP-G3 - x1 Solorforce P60 drop in custom XM-L2 U4 1C, Qlight Rev.A 7135*8 3.04A Driver - x2 Lumintop EDC05 CW - x2 Jaxman E2L tripple XP-G2 S4 
x1 Jaxman Z1 Zoomie, w/ Cree MT-G2 Q0 LED - x1 Acebeam K40m thrower with MT-G2 Q0 LED - x1 Xintd SC-82 V5 Limited Edition C8, XM-L2 U4 1C, Qlight Rev.A 7135*8 3.04A Driver
x1 Convoy L6 moded with a Cree XHP-70.2 P2 1D LED - x1 Rare Olight x7 Maurauder with a Nuetral White LED - x1 Astrolux MF-01 Nichia 219c - x1 Astrolux MF-01 Cree XP-G3 - x2 Zebralight SC5w MKII  

x2 Lumintop Tool AA - x1  x2 Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - x1 Lumintop ODL20C - x1 Lumintop GT mini - x1 Olight i3E EOS - x2 Zebralight SC600w Plus MK IV XHP 50.2 4500k 80 CRI - x1 Fenix CL30R - x1 Lumintop C01 Bike Light - x1 Lumintop Zoom 1 - x2 Zebralight Sc700d - x2 Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 Ti - x1 Olight I3T EOS

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania

sovereignknight wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Seems like everyone has their favorite given the number of brands and models offered on the market… Is there one that stands out?

Is this correct to assume that market is moving towards XHP and hence, we are starting to see 2k, 3k in this size range e.g. DX3B?

Jaxman E2L are real nice but “only” 800lm. Silly

I just got this one with triple Nichia 219C (5700K): https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-E2L-3LED-TIR-LENS-flashlight-18650-flashlight-torch-CREE-XPG2-camping-cycling-outdoors/1812094_32812945810.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.7ecfce4dJMHgak

Bright and floody, great tint!

 

sovereignknight
sovereignknight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2016 - 23:44
Posts: 516
Location: Northern California

beam0 wrote:
sovereignknight wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Seems like everyone has their favorite given the number of brands and models offered on the market… Is there one that stands out?

Is this correct to assume that market is moving towards XHP and hence, we are starting to see 2k, 3k in this size range e.g. DX3B?

Jaxman E2L are real nice but “only” 800lm. Silly

I just got this one with triple Nichia 219C (5700K): https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-E2L-3LED-TIR-LENS-flashlight-18650-flashlight-torch-CREE-XPG2-camping-cycling-outdoors/1812094_32812945810.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.7ecfce4dJMHgak

Bright and floody, great tint!

The Cree cool whites are actually 900lm, 300lm x 3. The Nichia versions are 720lm. 240lm x3. As per details in the description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_3:16 

Flashlights:

x2 Sk68 modded 1 Nichia 319AT, 1 Cree XP-G3 - x1 Solorforce P60 drop in custom XM-L2 U4 1C, Qlight Rev.A 7135*8 3.04A Driver - x2 Lumintop EDC05 CW - x2 Jaxman E2L tripple XP-G2 S4 
x1 Jaxman Z1 Zoomie, w/ Cree MT-G2 Q0 LED - x1 Acebeam K40m thrower with MT-G2 Q0 LED - x1 Xintd SC-82 V5 Limited Edition C8, XM-L2 U4 1C, Qlight Rev.A 7135*8 3.04A Driver
x1 Convoy L6 moded with a Cree XHP-70.2 P2 1D LED - x1 Rare Olight x7 Maurauder with a Nuetral White LED - x1 Astrolux MF-01 Nichia 219c - x1 Astrolux MF-01 Cree XP-G3 - x2 Zebralight SC5w MKII  

x2 Lumintop Tool AA - x1  x2 Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - x1 Lumintop ODL20C - x1 Lumintop GT mini - x1 Olight i3E EOS - x2 Zebralight SC600w Plus MK IV XHP 50.2 4500k 80 CRI - x1 Fenix CL30R - x1 Lumintop C01 Bike Light - x1 Lumintop Zoom 1 - x2 Zebralight Sc700d - x2 Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 Ti - x1 Olight I3T EOS

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3429
Location: Pennsylvania

sovereignknight wrote:
beam0 wrote:
sovereignknight wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Seems like everyone has their favorite given the number of brands and models offered on the market… Is there one that stands out?

Is this correct to assume that market is moving towards XHP and hence, we are starting to see 2k, 3k in this size range e.g. DX3B?

Jaxman E2L are real nice but “only” 800lm. Silly

I just got this one with triple Nichia 219C (5700K): https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JAXMAN-E2L-3LED-TIR-LENS-flashlight-18650-flashlight-torch-CREE-XPG2-camping-cycling-outdoors/1812094_32812945810.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.7ecfce4dJMHgak

Bright and floody, great tint!

The Cree cool whites are actually 900lm, 300lm x 3. The Nichia versions are 720lm. 240lm x3. As per details in the description.

Ah, I see now, thanks! First it shows 800lm under Item specifics, but further down under Product Description it shows 720lm.

 

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53

sovereignknight wrote:
mikeymikey wrote:
Seems like everyone has their favorite given the number of brands and models offered on the market… Is there one that stands out?

Is this correct to assume that market is moving towards XHP and hence, we are starting to see 2k, 3k in this size range e.g. DX3B?

Jaxman E2L

How does this compare to BLF A6?

mikeymikey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 days ago
Joined: 12/26/2017 - 02:50
Posts: 53

patmurris wrote:
Who doesn’t want more lumens in the same light form factor? And yes it is now possible to get multi thousand lumens out of a 18650 tube light. One of the most cited “best light” of 2017 is the Emisar D4. The XPL version can put out more then 4000 lumens out of a light the size of a S2 – even a tad smaller… But about five times the price.

However, with actual led efficiency, there is a limit to what a tube light can sustain because of the heat. Even a regular Convoy S2 with 8×7135 close to 1k lumen will get pretty hot on high. Some argue that 6×7135 is better in that regard. The above mentioned D4 can’t really sustain more then 600 lumen for some time. The multi thousand lumen turbo is only good for a few seconds before the head becomes too hot to handle.

That said, i would recommend the BLF A6. Essentially a S2 revisited by BLF enthusiasts. Seven brightness levels from moon to 1400 lumen turbo. A must have budget and very versatile light. Can often be found around $20.

I haven’t read into the details of D4…is there a TLDR version of how it is able to get 4K lumens?

patmurris
patmurris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 15:54
Posts: 1723
Location: Nice, France
mikeymikey wrote:
patmurris wrote:
…One of the most cited “best light” of 2017 is the Emisar D4. The XPL version can put out more then 4000 lumens out of a light the size of a S2 – even a tad smaller…

I haven’t read into the details of D4…is there a TLDR version of how it is able to get 4K lumens?


No long explanation needed… Simply four Cree XPL emitters on direct drive on a high drain battery. The light has a good construction too, allowing maximum current flow (low resistance springs, good contact between body, tail cap and head, thick wires to the leds…).

Pages