Possible fake Samsung 30Q 18650?

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 455
Location: EOK

Just my guess I searched hi and low on internet and never found any confirmed legit that had 3s like that. But, that was mebbee 2 years ago so who knows now. Mine with rounded 3s were fake. Genuine ones from Illumn later were slanted 3s.

Goatlvl
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2020 - 00:27
Posts: 16
Funtastic wrote:
Goatlvl wrote:
I might be too late … but, how about “R30Q” code?

R30Q is genuine, all mine come from a trusted source and I’ve tested them as authentic. This code alone doesn’t make them genuine though.

The warning note is on all new batches now

… Thanks. This might cut out some possibility of fake. But this shop replied me that they source from many places Facepalm .

Barkuti wrote:

Goatlvl, the top or positive pole of cells is a distinctive trait. Battery brands carefully choose the geometry and shape of the top pole for their cells. Its like an emblem, unique. Different brands never (!) use the same top / positive pole. This is the shape of the Samsung one: …

… Thanks. This sounds good easy check point.

peg matite wrote:
Goatlvl I say guess is fake. The 3s on pink wrapping don’t look right.
Funtastic wrote:
I have an order of 100pcs confirmed genuine with 3s like that

Firstly, I thought it is fake. But I’m not sure now because another bigger good-looking shop authorized by Vapcell (and selling 30Q a bit more expensive) also has same “3” on pink wrapping. Unfortunately this shop refuses to take pictures of actual products for checking. In fact, AliExpress’s Vapcell Store shows this “3” too.

I think I’ll just have to buy one and check top as Barkuti said.
At least other buyers gave good feedback. Even they are fake, they should perform good and are cheaper than the Vapcell branded batteries.

I never thought finding a legit 30Q would be thid difficult Tired .

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2655
Location: Manila, Philippines

Goatlvl wrote:
I might be too late … but, how about “R30Q” code?

One online shop in my country has a good deal of 30Q (around $4.5 per piece). But the close-up picture shows a faint code R30Q/JCKA6 (I think). It is neither “0” at the 2nd position nor “L30Q”. In addition, some VTC6 pics in this shop show LiitoKala sticker on the cell (I heard a lot of fakes in Liito store).

I’m not sure whether to buy from this shop or not. I also don’t have tools for testing, so buying and testing it is not possible now.

Additional reference, this is the picture of markings on pink wrap.

![img]https://i.imgur.com/wv5dLMH.jpg[/img]!

This marking is from the newer Samsung 30Q6-T (search for Vapcell’s post here about this newer Samsung 30Q)

I’ve also had a few of these 30Q6-T and the code underneath the wrapper shows R30Q, like what you found out.

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3196

Can anyone recommend the 30Q button top batteries from Banggood?

https://www.banggood.com/4PCS-Samsung-INR18650-30Q-3000mAh-Unprotected-B...

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2321
Location: New Zealand
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Can anyone recommend the 30Q button top batteries from Banggood?


https://www.banggood.com/4PCS-Samsung-INR18650-30Q-3000mAh-Unprotected-B...

Haven’t touched them since quite a few received fakes awhile back

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3196

Can you please tell me how you or others found out they were fakes? Did you/they strip them or pentest them? I have recently ordered some of these but now that they are on backorder...

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2321
Location: New Zealand
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Can you please tell me how you or others found out they were fakes? Did you/they strip them or pentest them? I have recently ordered some of these but now that they are on backorder…

Pretty certain it was the top line of code which had no “0” for the 2nd digit. This would now only apply to older batches, now they are R30Q or L30Q

Goatlvl
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2020 - 00:27
Posts: 16

d_t_a wrote:
This marking is from the newer Samsung 30Q6-T (search for Vapcell’s post here about this newer Samsung 30Q)

I’ve also had a few of these 30Q6-T and the code underneath the wrapper shows R30Q, like what you found out.

!https://i.imgur.com/hgkvuxA.png!

I understood that 30Q6-T is Chinese made. Is this marking applied to other 30Qs as well (Korean made and Malasian made)?

In addition, that button top in your pictures, can I just assembly the metal cap and insulation pad (maybe with or without glue) then wrap them up without soldering?

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 5589
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Goatlvl wrote:

In addition, that button top in your pictures, can I just assembly the metal cap and insulation pad (maybe with or without glue) then wrap them up without soldering?

You can, but without spot welding the thing there will be a noticeable contact resistance implied. This will effectively increase cell internal resistance. With clean contacts it may not be “too much” (1/3 or 1/2 of the actual flat top cell internal resistance, considering that the 30Q only has a little above 20 milliohms of internal resistance), but significant and enough to downgrade the discharge rate of the cell. With corrosion and/or dirt things will get much worse.

There are alternatives; I have quite a bit of practice low temperature soldering cells, and I know a blob or two of Rose's Metal does the job of a button top quite well:

 

 

Here's an eBay search for “rose's metal alloy” in Business and Industrial category. I've bought from zhuykoff a couple times, always served me well.

You'll have a hard time soldering the stuff without proper flux, steel soldering flux. Click/tap here for a related search in AliExpress, category “tools”. The liquid is quite corrosive, so better clean up everything around when done.

Please avoid fully quoting lenghty posts, namely with nested quotes. Trim quotes down to the essential. Helps with neatness and legibility. Thanks.

The human mind, and its programming, is at the forefront of a particular battle of The Light vs evil dark forces. Nearly every human being on this beautiful planet “Earth” has some sort of negative mind programming in its mind. And you better take care of your mind programming, or someone else will in this wicked world.

Viruses DON'T cause diseases, they rather are a consequence of them. Read the book “Béchamp or Pasteur” by Ethel Hume for more information.

Goatlvl
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2020 - 00:27
Posts: 16
Barkuti wrote:

You can, but without spot welding the thing there will be a noticeable contact resistance implied. This will effectively increase cell internal resistance. With clean contacts it may not be “too much” (1/3 or 1/2 of the actual flat top cell internal resistance, considering that the 30Q only has a little above 20 milliohms of internal resistance), but significant and enough to downgrade the discharge rate of the cell. With corrosion and/or dirt things will get much worse.


There are alternatives; I have quite a bit of practice low temperature soldering cells, and I know a blob or two of Rose’s Metal does the job of a button top quite well:

Thank you very much for explanation. The alternative you suggested, though requires some soldering tools, it looks not too difficult. Thumbs Up

Pages