[Review] Zebralight SC64w HI

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2156
Location: Canada
[Review] Zebralight SC64w HI

Video review of Zebralight’s latest 18650 flashlight:

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3522
Location: USA, Michigan

Nice comparison with the outdoor beamshots. I already own 5 ZL’s, so I skipped right to that. That combo flood and throw is great which is 95% of my uses. 4500K, 80+ CRI, whats not to like. Thanks for posting

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2156
Location: Canada
RobertB wrote:
Nice comparison with the outdoor beamshots. I already own 5 ZL’s, so I skipped right to that. That combo flood and throw is great which is 95% of my uses. 4500K, 80+ CRI, whats not to like. Thanks for posting

Thanks. Yeah, at first I was disappointed the throw wasn’t further, as I was thinking it would be more like the 600w HI. But, that’s not realistic, given the small reflector, but it does mean it’s a great EDC. That’s what it’s designed for, so I should have expected it.

The HI emitters provide really nice even beams with no tint shift and no green. So, I think the SC64w HI is a better choice than the regular SC64w, at least for tint snobs.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3522
Location: USA, Michigan
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Nice comparison with the outdoor beamshots. I already own 5 ZL’s, so I skipped right to that. That combo flood and throw is great which is 95% of my uses. 4500K, 80+ CRI, whats not to like. Thanks for posting

Thanks. Yeah, at first I was disappointed the throw wasn’t further, as I was thinking it would be more like the 600w HI. But, that’s not realistic, given the small reflector, but it does mean it’s a great EDC. That’s what it’s designed for, so I should have expected it.

The HI emitters provide really nice even beams with no tint shift and no green. So, I think the SC64w HI is a better choice than the regular SC64w, at least for tint snobs.

I’m think I’m going to order one. Pre-order, but says shipping starts today.

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 664

I have one and I love it, thanks for the review

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2156
Location: Canada
RobertB wrote:
I’m think I’m going to order one. Pre-order, but says shipping starts today.

They started shipping these a couple of weeks ago. I guess they forgot to update their pre-order status on the web site.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1535
Location: MN

I just wish they would offer this emitter in their angled lights. I can put some DC Fix on the lens to make it floody if I need it, but I prefer angled almost all the time and most the emitters ZL used this generation for the headlamps have some pretty awful tint from what I’ve seen.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2156
Location: Canada
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
I just wish they would offer this emitter in their angled lights. I can put some DC Fix on the lens to make it floody if I need it, but I prefer angled almost all the time and most the emitters ZL used this generation for the headlamps have some pretty awful tint from what I’ve seen.

Yeah, I guess they figure that the headlamps are for closer use, so they stick with the regular domed emitters.

You can always use a headstrap to hold a regular light, and use it as a headlamp. It’s almost as good. I think I use this one:

https://www.banggood.com/Nitecore-HB02-LED-Flashlight-Headlight-Headband-p-86813.html

Works pretty well, although the top band is a bit lose on my head.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1535
Location: MN
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
I just wish they would offer this emitter in their angled lights. I can put some DC Fix on the lens to make it floody if I need it, but I prefer angled almost all the time and most the emitters ZL used this generation for the headlamps have some pretty awful tint from what I’ve seen.

Yeah, I guess they figure that the headlamps are for closer use, so they stick with the regular domed emitters.

You can always use a headstrap to hold a regular light, and use it as a headlamp. It’s almost as good. I think I use this one:

https://www.banggood.com/Nitecore-HB02-LED-Flashlight-Headlight-Headband-p-86813.html

Works pretty well, although the top band is a bit lose on my head.

I’ve definitely done that with a similar product with my straight lights, but I love angled for clipping onto a backpack, belt, pocket, etc. Don’t even need to carry a headband with me for hands-free. They work better for tail-standing and pointing at work areas IMO too.

smithd1
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/08/2018 - 19:30
Posts: 97
Location: Texas

What is the difference between the standard and HI?

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2156
Location: Canada
smithd1 wrote:
What is the difference between the standard and HI?

The standard SC64/SC64w uses a domed Cree XHP35 emitter. The SC64w HI uses a Cree XHP35 HI emitter. The SC64w is slightly more floody, with a 12 degree wide hotspot. The SC64w HI has an 11 degree wide hotspot.

IMO, there’s less “tint lottery” with the Cree HI emitters. They are made for throw, but they also have a very clean beam, with very little or no tint shift. I’ve found that the normal domed Cree emitters all end up with a greenish corona around the hot spot, and a slightly purplish spill. I haven’t seen this with the domeless HI emitters.

Anyway, for practical purposes, you’ll get a slightly more throwy light with the SC64w HI. The regular SC64w will be a bit more floody, and have a bit more overall output.

smithd1
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/08/2018 - 19:30
Posts: 97
Location: Texas

Thank you. I’ve been looking at the 64’s this week and wasn’t sure about all of the differences.

I believe this will be my next purchase.