Astrolux FT03

162 posts / 0 new
Last post
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

Keep in mind that this light uses a FET driver so output varies based on the battery used, unlike a boost driven light. Also, people might be measuring from different distances and some at turn on and some at 30 seconds. So there are a lot of variables.

I always measure at 10 meters and 30 seconds. Did everyone do the same? Did they say what battery they used?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18087
Location: Amsterdam

I measure throw (always at 30 seconds) at 7 meter but usually the beam is pretty well formed from 5 meter upwards, even from this 50?mm reflector.
My 230 kcd is from a black Liitokale 5000mAh, which is not the highest drain 26650 around.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 35 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3048
Location: Netherlands

i have used a 30Q at different distances, all my readings were quite consistent
usually i place the light on a chair or something and then walk with my luxmeter to the wall, to measure at several spots and angles in the hotspot, so almost all my readings are at 30s.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 185
Location: CA Bay Area

the spreadsheet doesn’t work for me, also, is there still a discount gb price link some where? is this still the best budget thrower?

---------------------

Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

ttylamg wrote:
the spreadsheet doesn’t work for me, also, is there still a discount gb price link some where? is this still the best budget thrower?

What spreadsheet?
I think it is the best budget thrower. Both the SST-40 and xhp50.2 depending on your needs. Freeme has deals on both.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 185
Location: CA Bay Area

I read on reddit this light turbo doesn’t last long and heat soak will keep the thermal throttle to output low for a while. The hunt continues for the holy grail.

---------------------

Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

ttylamg wrote:
I read on reddit this light turbo doesn’t last long and heat soak will keep the thermal throttle to output low for a while. The hunt continues for the holy grail.

You can turn off the thermal stepdown off if you want. What is the “holy grail”?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 185
Location: CA Bay Area

Will the turbo heat ruin the led/driver/etc or lead to significantly shorter life?

Holy grail would be cheap, and all the desirable quality

---------------------

Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
I read on reddit this light turbo doesn’t last long and heat soak will keep the thermal throttle to output low for a while. The hunt continues for the holy grail.

Get the SST40 version. I have run it for over 5 minutes on turbo does not get very hot and no stepdown as far as I can see.
Ask about flashlights here, not on reddit.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 185
Location: CA Bay Area

Ok I am sold, will get that. I see the xhp version, sounds like that’s a less turbo friendly one?

---------------------

Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

ttylamg wrote:
Will the turbo heat ruin the led/driver/etc or lead to significantly shorter life?

Holy grail would be cheap, and all the desirable quality


How hot do you want it to get? If you generate a lot of watts, the heat has to go somewhere. It should handle 80°C with no issues. I assume your talking about the 50.2 version since it’s the really bright, powerful one.

The SST-40 version makes less heat. People have disabled the thermal stepdown and ran it on turbo until the batteries went down.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York
ttylamg wrote:
Ok I am sold, will get that. I see the xhp version, sounds like that’s a less turbo friendly one?

I have both. The 50 is a higher output light, so I am guessing it may get hot faster.

I just ran them side by side. At two minutes the XHP stepped down. It was uncomfortable to hold and tested at 42C, my set stepdown
At FIVE minutes the SST40 stepped down, it was warm but not unpleasant to hold, tested at 41C

So make your own choice.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
Will the turbo heat ruin the led/driver/etc or lead to significantly shorter life?

Holy grail would be cheap, and all the desirable quality


How hot do you want it to get? If you generate a lot of watts, the heat has to go somewhere. It should handle 80°C with no issues. I assume your talking about the 50.2 version since it’s the really bright, powerful one.

The SST-40 version makes less heat. People have disabled the thermal stepdown and ran it on turbo until the batteries went down.

I agree. The SST-40 generates a LOT less heat. It does not have as much total light output, but I find it throws farther. YMMV.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

Sst-40 can draw 36 watts with high drain battery.

Xhp50.2 can draw 60 watts with high drain battery.

Neither really needs a high drain battery, so you can run a high capacity cell to get less heat and only a tiny bit less lumens. Not really enough lumen loss that you could tell from the naked eye.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
Sst-40 can draw 36 watts with high drain battery.

Xhp50.2 can draw 60 watts with high drain battery.

Neither really needs a high drain battery, so you can run a high capacity cell to get less heat and only a tiny bit less lumens. Not really enough lumen loss that you could tell from the naked eye.

Cool
I had high drains in both for my test – Vapcell 21700 in the XHP, AWT 75 AMP (alleged) in the 40.
But I took the XHP out with me to walk the dog, I can confirm it does get hot in a hurry.

ttylamg
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 02:36
Posts: 185
Location: CA Bay Area

Man, now I see the chaselight photo, and I am tempted. It seems brighter, but the photo might be lying since you can also see the sky with cloud, so the white balance? Seemed different, but if it wasn’t then it’s cheaper. Only thing is it’s using xhp50 so it might also have heat issue, despite the larger/longer body?

What about any xhp70 thrower? Anything comparable to ft03?

---------------------

Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4028
Location: United States , Pa.

I may have missed it but how do the two compare with run times?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

pennzy wrote:
I may have missed it but how do the two compare with run times?

What do you mean? How long each of the 150 brightness levels can theoretically run on a particular battery? I don’t think anyone has tested that. Maybe someone has done some type of test and can link it.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

ttylamg wrote:
Man, now I see the chaselight photo, and I am tempted. It seems brighter, but the photo might be lying since you can also see the sky with cloud, so the white balance? Seemed different, but if it wasn’t then it’s cheaper. Only thing is it’s using xhp50 so it might also have heat issue, despite the larger/longer body?

What about any xhp70 thrower? Anything comparable to ft03?

The Chaselight is good for the money. It has a good throw, not as good as the S70S or L6, but way cheaper. It does not get hot. At one point I ran it all the way up and it did not step down for like 45 minutes. It is a good cheap light. That you can have in your hands tomorrow or Monday from Amazon.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

ttylamg wrote:
Man, now I see the chaselight photo, and I am tempted. It seems brighter, but the photo might be lying since you can also see the sky with cloud, so the white balance? Seemed different, but if it wasn’t then it’s cheaper. Only thing is it’s using xhp50 so it might also have heat issue, despite the larger/longer body?

What about any xhp70 thrower? Anything comparable to ft03?


I think I see the Chaselight your talking about. It has a xhp50.2 (maybe clone 50.2?). It is maybe 18 watt and 1800 lumen seems plausible. (I don’t think it will do 2300 lumen). This is much less lumens than the FT03 50.2. It should run pretty cool, but throw distance will be shorter. I would recommend reading reviews on it. It might be a junk light or it might be good. I don’t know. I’ve never heard of it. The user interface seems very crude with only 2 brightness levels. That’s old version. New version has ramping of some kind?

There are not many 70.2 throwers because it’s a big led. They are not available in 3 volt version so you either have to use 2 batteries in series or use an expensive boost driver. I have not seen anything the size of the FT03 in 70.2, but they are probably out there. If they exist, the throw will be short.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

varbos
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 5 hours ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 593

ttylamg wrote:
I read on reddit this light turbo doesn’t last long and heat soak will keep the thermal throttle to output low for a while. The hunt continues for the holy grail.

I could be wrong but I believe this has an aggressive thermal stepdown rather than thermal regulation.

So when temperature sensor goes above the set limit, it does a huge arbitrary stepdown. And never steps back up, even if the light becomes cool. Kind of like if you were to 1mph above 70mph speed limit on the highway and your car goes NOPE! and slams the brakes and instantly limits speed to 10mph.

It sounds like you want a light with thermal regulation where it tries to find an output level that keeps temps just below (or at) the set limit.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
Man, now I see the chaselight photo, and I am tempted. It seems brighter, but the photo might be lying since you can also see the sky with cloud, so the white balance? Seemed different, but if it wasn’t then it’s cheaper. Only thing is it’s using xhp50 so it might also have heat issue, despite the larger/longer body?

What about any xhp70 thrower? Anything comparable to ft03?


I think I see the Chaselight your talking about. It has a xhp50.2 (maybe clone 50.2?). It is maybe 18 watt and 1800 lumen seems plausible. (I don’t think it will do 2300 lumen). This is much less lumens than the FT03 50.2. It should run pretty cool, but throw distance will be shorter. I would recommend reading reviews on it. It might be a junk light or it might be good. I don’t know. I’ve never heard of it. The user interface seems very crude with only 2 brightness levels. That’s old version. New version has ramping of some kind?

There are not many 70.2 throwers because it’s a big led. They are not available in 3 volt version so you either have to use 2 batteries in series or use an expensive boost driver. I have not seen anything the size of the FT03 in 70.2, but they are probably out there. If they exist, the throw will be short.

The two cell light probably does 2300 lumens. It is pretty darn good. No, it does not out throw or out light the FT03. But it does ramp down and up, has a long run time with the included batteries, and a nice focused white beam. I bought three of them, they are great utility lights to have around. Nothing fancy, just a good strong flashlight.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4028
Location: United States , Pa.

JasonWW wrote:
pennzy wrote:
I may have missed it but how do the two compare with run times?

What do you mean? How long each of the 150 brightness levels can theoretically run on a particular battery? I don’t think anyone has tested that. Maybe someone has done some type of test and can link it.

What I mean is one more efficient than the other I guess.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

varbos wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
I read on reddit this light turbo doesn’t last long and heat soak will keep the thermal throttle to output low for a while. The hunt continues for the holy grail.

I could be wrong but I believe this has an aggressive thermal stepdown rather than thermal regulation.

So when temperature sensor goes above the set limit, it does a huge arbitrary stepdown. And never steps back up, even if the light becomes cool. Kind of like if you were to 1mph above 70mph speed limit on the highway and your car goes NOPE! and slams the brakes and instantly limits speed to 10mph.


No, NarsilM has never done such a thing, at least not on a bigger light like this. You might be thinking of Anduril on a small light. Toykeeper has programmed Anduril lights like the FW3A to have a panic mode because it’s very small and very powerful so a small stepdown will allow it to get too hot.

I think NarsilM will stepdown 32% from Turbo, wait several seconds then see if it needs to step down again.

I’m sure someone here can comment on how much the 50.2 version steps down.

You are correct that NarsilM does not use PID (thermal regulation) to allow the brightness to increase after a thermal stepdown. Of course, you can manually increase the brightness if you want. I never had need for fancy “step back up” software. As long as I can set the light to stepdown at a temp I’m comfortable with, that’s all I care about.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

scosgt wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
Man, now I see the chaselight photo, and I am tempted. It seems brighter, but the photo might be lying since you can also see the sky with cloud, so the white balance? Seemed different, but if it wasn’t then it’s cheaper. Only thing is it’s using xhp50 so it might also have heat issue, despite the larger/longer body?

What about any xhp70 thrower? Anything comparable to ft03?


I think I see the Chaselight your talking about. It has a xhp50.2 (maybe clone 50.2?). It is maybe 18 watt and 1800 lumen seems plausible. (I don’t think it will do 2300 lumen). This is much less lumens than the FT03 50.2. It should run pretty cool, but throw distance will be shorter. I would recommend reading reviews on it. It might be a junk light or it might be good. I don’t know. I’ve never heard of it. The user interface seems very crude with only 2 brightness levels. That’s old version. New version has ramping of some kind?

There are not many 70.2 throwers because it’s a big led. They are not available in 3 volt version so you either have to use 2 batteries in series or use an expensive boost driver. I have not seen anything the size of the FT03 in 70.2, but they are probably out there. If they exist, the throw will be short.

The two cell light probably does 2300 lumens.


Not if they still use the same 1.43A@12v. You typically don’t see a 500 lumen jump unless the driver is changed. It’s possible the driver is cranked up a bit higher and their pictures are just old. If this new driver can put out 1.8A or so then it would seem reasonable.

Maybe the 2 cell light is using a completely different type driver that runs at 6v?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

pennzy wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
pennzy wrote:
I may have missed it but how do the two compare with run times?

What do you mean? How long each of the 150 brightness levels can theoretically run on a particular battery? I don’t think anyone has tested that. Maybe someone has done some type of test and can link it.

What I mean is one more efficient than the other I guess.

The 50.2 version is more efficient over the same lumen range as the SST-40 simply because it’s bigger die can put out more light for the same battery amperage. Once you get past 1800 or so lumen, they are not comparable.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
scosgt wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
Man, now I see the chaselight photo, and I am tempted. It seems brighter, but the photo might be lying since you can also see the sky with cloud, so the white balance? Seemed different, but if it wasn’t then it’s cheaper. Only thing is it’s using xhp50 so it might also have heat issue, despite the larger/longer body?

What about any xhp70 thrower? Anything comparable to ft03?


I think I see the Chaselight your talking about. It has a xhp50.2 (maybe clone 50.2?). It is maybe 18 watt and 1800 lumen seems plausible. (I don’t think it will do 2300 lumen). This is much less lumens than the FT03 50.2. It should run pretty cool, but throw distance will be shorter. I would recommend reading reviews on it. It might be a junk light or it might be good. I don’t know. I’ve never heard of it. The user interface seems very crude with only 2 brightness levels. That’s old version. New version has ramping of some kind?

There are not many 70.2 throwers because it’s a big led. They are not available in 3 volt version so you either have to use 2 batteries in series or use an expensive boost driver. I have not seen anything the size of the FT03 in 70.2, but they are probably out there. If they exist, the throw will be short.

The two cell light probably does 2300 lumens.


Not if they still use the same 1.43A@12v. You typically don’t see a 500 lumen jump unless the driver is changed. It’s possible the driver is cranked up a bit higher and their pictures are just old. If this new driver can put out 1.8A or so then it would seem reasonable.

Maybe the 2 cell light is using a completely different type driver that runs at 6v?

That’s above my pay grade. If the L6 is 3800/4300. I can see this at 2300 because I have compared them side by side. The first light I had listed is one 26650 and has a simple two step brightness UI. It is listed at 1800. This one ramps, and is listed at 2300. The UI is unlike anything I have seen mentioned here, so I don’t know what it is. But. The output is fairly impressive to a nimrod like me.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
varbos wrote:
ttylamg wrote:
I read on reddit this light turbo doesn’t last long and heat soak will keep the thermal throttle to output low for a while. The hunt continues for the holy grail.

I could be wrong but I believe this has an aggressive thermal stepdown rather than thermal regulation.

So when temperature sensor goes above the set limit, it does a huge arbitrary stepdown. And never steps back up, even if the light becomes cool. Kind of like if you were to 1mph above 70mph speed limit on the highway and your car goes NOPE! and slams the brakes and instantly limits speed to 10mph.


No, NarsilM has never done such a thing, at least not on a bigger light like this. You might be thinking of Anduril on a small light. Toykeeper has programmed Anduril lights like the FW3A to have a panic mode because it’s very small and very powerful so a small stepdown will allow it to get too hot.

I think NarsilM will stepdown 32% from Turbo, wait several seconds then see if it needs to step down again.

I’m sure someone here can comment on how much the 50.2 version steps down.

You are correct that NarsilM does not use PID (thermal regulation) to allow the brightness to increase after a thermal stepdown. Of course, you can manually increase the brightness if you want. I never had need for fancy “step back up” software. As long as I can set the light to stepdown at a temp I’m comfortable with, that’s all I care about.

When the 50.2 stepped down after just two minutes, it was QUITE hot, and the step down was very severe. If it was 4300 to start, I would GUESS it went down to possibly 1200-1500.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12890
Location: Houston Texas

scosgt wrote:

That’s above my pay grade. If the L6 is 3800/4300. I can see this at 2300 because I have compared them side by side.


The L6 is actually about 2900/3300 or pretty close. Their ratings are a bit on the high side.
Did you have both versions of the Chaselight? If the 2 cell version is brighter, then they probably did change the driver or at least bumped up the amperage.
Is the 2 cell Chaselight one click on/off? If so, I might try one just for kicks.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 552
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
scosgt wrote:

That’s above my pay grade. If the L6 is 3800/4300. I can see this at 2300 because I have compared them side by side.


The L6 is actually about 2900/3300 or pretty close. Their ratings are a bit on the high side.
Did you have both versions of the Chaselight? If the 2 cell version is brighter, then they probably did change the driver or at least bumped up the amperage.
Is the 2 cell Chaselight one click on/off? If so, I might try one just for kicks.

I have both. I was impressed with the one cell until I saw stuff like the FT03.
It is high-low-off, so two click
Hold for SOS
I did the DC Fix on one for a dedicated house light, don’t want throw when I am looking for something under the table.
I tried to do a side by side beamshot inside, but the camera just can’t get the definition. I will try to do one outside.
The 2 battery version is on-off and ramps. It is like 2X as bright side by side.

Pages