Which brand do you think is most durable? Your life depends on it and so does your family.

188 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
I do question what they were thinking with the designs/features of some of their lights like the (not very “tactical”) M2R, but that is more of a marketing issue than anything else.

What don’t you like about the M2R? the only “tacticool” feature I can see it missing is the strike bezel?

Imagen you find yourself in that “Oooh $h!t” moment and you pull your light from your pocket and you find you left it in E-lockout. Time yourself to see how long it takes to get it into the fight.

lol I agree the electronic lock-out is a double edged sword. had the light once deplete fully in my pocket because it turned on and I never noticed. Then after using the E-lockout I also realized that it really defeats the purpose of the tactical tail switch and all you gain from instant turbo/strobe is lost on the 3 second E-lockout unlocking.

That being said, is the main issue you have with it that it has a side switch and isn’t a tail switch only?

First, it’ll take more than 3 seconds.

Second, if I need to lockout any of my tactical lights, it is as simple as a quick twist of the tailcap.

I have tactical lights with side switches, but… the tail switch overrides E-lockout. Klarus and others don’t seem to have that problem.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
I do question what they were thinking with the designs/features of some of their lights like the (not very “tactical”) M2R, but that is more of a marketing issue than anything else.

What don’t you like about the M2R? the only “tacticool” feature I can see it missing is the strike bezel?

Imagen you find yourself in that “Oooh $h!t” moment and you pull your light from your pocket and you find you left it in E-lockout. Time yourself to see how long it takes to get it into the fight.

lol I agree the electronic lock-out is a double edged sword. had the light once deplete fully in my pocket because it turned on and I never noticed. Then after using the E-lockout I also realized that it really defeats the purpose of the tactical tail switch and all you gain from instant turbo/strobe is lost on the 3 second E-lockout unlocking.

That being said, is the main issue you have with it that it has a side switch and isn’t a tail switch only?

First, it’ll take more than 3 seconds.

Second, if I need to lockout any of my tactical lights, it is as simple as a quick twist of the tailcap.

I have tactical lights with side switches, but… the tail switch overrides E-lockout. Klarus and others don’t seem to have that problem.

The M2R is tail cap twistable so that’s not really a valid point

I haven’t personally tested mine to see if the tail switch overrides the E-lockout but I suspect it does not. Especially considering you can set the tail switch to momentary strobe/turbo only and that it has a significant depression required to activate the second stage of the E-switch I definitely agree that’s a very poorly designed E-lockout on Olights part

G.P.
G.P.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 11/11/2018 - 12:49
Posts: 96
Location: Canada

JackJax wrote:
I’m still relatively new to the flashlight world. However, here’s my two pennies.

A friend’s family member lost a D cell Maglite for years. Looked and looked, couldn’t find it. One day, they had to get rid of a recliner. Living out in a small city, they decided to put it outside and burn it. By the time it was mostly ashes, they noticed something shiny. Sure enough, it was the Maglite. While the lens was partially melted, it turned on and provided light. Even with the incandescent bulb and batteries that were in it for years. Would I trust my life to a Maglite, no. But I’ve got 3 of them that I have in various places. Haven’t had one fail yet.

Another friend was once going on and on about how great one of the expensive flashlight makers were and that they did a test where they dropped the flashlight out of a helicopter and it still worked afterwards. My response to that was the following.

“So the helicopter pilot would land so that you can retrieve that light, right? I’d rather carry more than one, reasonable costing, light.”

It couldn’t have gotten very hot in that fire. The switch internals and reflector are made out of plastic.

I found a 3D maglite in the woods. Looked like it had been there for years, but it turned on first try. The main issue for me on maglites has been the switch. They fail with constant use. Usually the plastic switch cover goes missing. Once that happens it’s not long before crap gets in there and it starts to fail. Maglites are very reliable if you never use them (or lose them!), but not with heavy use.

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 285

G.P. wrote:
JackJax wrote:
I’m still relatively new to the flashlight world. However, here’s my two pennies.

A friend’s family member lost a D cell Maglite for years. Looked and looked, couldn’t find it. One day, they had to get rid of a recliner. Living out in a small city, they decided to put it outside and burn it. By the time it was mostly ashes, they noticed something shiny. Sure enough, it was the Maglite. While the lens was partially melted, it turned on and provided light. Even with the incandescent bulb and batteries that were in it for years. Would I trust my life to a Maglite, no. But I’ve got 3 of them that I have in various places. Haven’t had one fail yet.

Another friend was once going on and on about how great one of the expensive flashlight makers were and that they did a test where they dropped the flashlight out of a helicopter and it still worked afterwards. My response to that was the following.

“So the helicopter pilot would land so that you can retrieve that light, right? I’d rather carry more than one, reasonable costing, light.”

It couldn’t have gotten very hot in that fire. The switch internals and reflector are made out of plastic.

I found a 3D maglite in the woods. Looked like it had been there for years, but it turned on first try. The main issue for me on maglites has been the switch. They fail with constant use. Usually the plastic switch cover goes missing. Once that happens it’s not long before crap gets in there and it starts to fail. Maglites are very reliable if you never use them (or lose them!), but not with heavy use.

“Maglites are very reliable if you never use them” LOL My favorite quote. Same thing with dragsters too. LOL Big Smile

 

 

 

weklund
weklund's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/16/2014 - 10:32
Posts: 1215
Location: Orange, Ca.

CREEXHP70LED wrote:
weklund wrote:
Solarforce at the ready … trusty L2 equipped with a forward / momentary McClicky switch and Malkoff M61 1000 lumen P60 drop in attached to my 870 flashlight holder … Smile

!https://i.postimg.cc/BvtSJ2xn/009.jpg!

I like it. How many rounds does it hold with the mag extender now ?

6 rounds in the mag tube and 4 rounds in the integral stock … for special occasions only.

... Happy Landings ...

... RIP Uncle Ken ... Semper Fi ...

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 285

weklund wrote:
CREEXHP70LED wrote:
weklund wrote:
Solarforce at the ready … trusty L2 equipped with a forward / momentary McClicky switch and Malkoff M61 1000 lumen P60 drop in attached to my 870 flashlight holder … Smile

!https://i.postimg.cc/BvtSJ2xn/009.jpg!

I like it. How many rounds does it hold with the mag extender now ?

6 rounds in the mag tube and 4 rounds in the integral stock … for special occasions only.

Nice The matching C-Coat looks great. My next shotgun will be the M4.

 

 

 

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
I do question what they were thinking with the designs/features of some of their lights like the (not very “tactical”) M2R, but that is more of a marketing issue than anything else.

What don’t you like about the M2R? the only “tacticool” feature I can see it missing is the strike bezel?

Imagen you find yourself in that “Oooh $h!t” moment and you pull your light from your pocket and you find you left it in E-lockout. Time yourself to see how long it takes to get it into the fight.

lol I agree the electronic lock-out is a double edged sword. had the light once deplete fully in my pocket because it turned on and I never noticed. Then after using the E-lockout I also realized that it really defeats the purpose of the tactical tail switch and all you gain from instant turbo/strobe is lost on the 3 second E-lockout unlocking.

That being said, is the main issue you have with it that it has a side switch and isn’t a tail switch only?

First, it’ll take more than 3 seconds.

Second, if I need to lockout any of my tactical lights, it is as simple as a quick twist of the tailcap.

I have tactical lights with side switches, but… the tail switch overrides E-lockout. Klarus and others don’t seem to have that problem.

The M2R is tail cap twistable so that’s not really a valid point

I haven’t personally tested mine to see if the tail switch overrides the E-lockout but I suspect it does not. Especially considering you can set the tail switch to momentary strobe/turbo only and that it has a significant depression required to activate the second stage of the E-switch I definitely agree that’s a very poorly designed E-lockout on Olights part

Go get some good tactical training, it’s clear you have very little. I’m not trying to insult you or anything. Take it from Olight the tail switch does not override the E-lockout. Which could mean the difference in a high stress situation. Fractions of a second usually mean you loose your life.

That’s the WHOLE point!

In a life or death struggle, you can’t say to the bad guy “wait until I get my light in order before you kill me”.

weklund
weklund's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/16/2014 - 10:32
Posts: 1215
Location: Orange, Ca.

Best true EDC tactical light in my opinion is my Malkoff Bodyguard. Not cheap but extremely dependable and will most assuredly get the job done when called upon. No brainer tail switch UI with plenty of lumens to place on target … check it out.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/malkoff-small-led-flas...

... Happy Landings ...

... RIP Uncle Ken ... Semper Fi ...

TheOnlyDocc
TheOnlyDocc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2015 - 05:17
Posts: 949
Location: Mönchengladbach /Germany

Unless i checked the light myself (solderjoints, wires, assembly. . .) i would not trust any of them with my life.
You will find bad assembled lights, wrong screws, bad solderjoints, potential shorts from sharp edges. . . from all companys regardless how much money you pay.
It has a reason why parachutist wrap their parachute themself. If your live depends on it, there are not a lot of people that you can trust like you can trust yourself.

New WildTrail (former LuckySun) D80v2 Sale has Started http://budgetlightforum.com/node/66255

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
I do question what they were thinking with the designs/features of some of their lights like the (not very “tactical”) M2R, but that is more of a marketing issue than anything else.

What don’t you like about the M2R? the only “tacticool” feature I can see it missing is the strike bezel?

Imagen you find yourself in that “Oooh $h!t” moment and you pull your light from your pocket and you find you left it in E-lockout. Time yourself to see how long it takes to get it into the fight.

lol I agree the electronic lock-out is a double edged sword. had the light once deplete fully in my pocket because it turned on and I never noticed. Then after using the E-lockout I also realized that it really defeats the purpose of the tactical tail switch and all you gain from instant turbo/strobe is lost on the 3 second E-lockout unlocking.

That being said, is the main issue you have with it that it has a side switch and isn’t a tail switch only?

First, it’ll take more than 3 seconds.

Second, if I need to lockout any of my tactical lights, it is as simple as a quick twist of the tailcap.

I have tactical lights with side switches, but… the tail switch overrides E-lockout. Klarus and others don’t seem to have that problem.

The M2R is tail cap twistable so that’s not really a valid point

I haven’t personally tested mine to see if the tail switch overrides the E-lockout but I suspect it does not. Especially considering you can set the tail switch to momentary strobe/turbo only and that it has a significant depression required to activate the second stage of the E-switch I definitely agree that’s a very poorly designed E-lockout on Olights part

Go get some good tactical training, it’s clear you have very little. I’m not trying to insult you or anything. Take it from Olight the tail switch does not override the E-lockout. Which could mean the difference in a high stress situation. Fractions of a second usually mean you loose your life.

That’s the WHOLE point!

In a life or death struggle, you can’t say to the bad guy “wait until I get my light in order before you kill me”.

Sorry didn’t mean to come across accusatory, I just meant that in regards to bypassing the Olights poorly designed lock-out feature you do have the option to twist the tailcap to lock the light out and then instead of waiting for the E-lockout you could just twist it closed to unlock your light.

I thought that’s what you meant by the tailcap twist but I also believe you might have been referring to tactical lights that have a tailcap twist as their lockout function by design?

yes we’re both in agreement Olight made a poor choice with their E-lockout but bypassing the E-lockout by unscrewing the tailcap could solve that problem don’t you think?

lol I’m also from Canada so you never know… If you ask nicely enough the perpetrator might just let you unlock your tactical flashlight

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 54 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 18030
Location: nyc
Deputy Dog wrote:
In a life or death struggle, you can’t say to the bad guy “wait until I get my light in order before you kill me”.

Well, you can. Then pummel him to death with the light once he’s incapacitated by uncontrollable laughter. LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
Lightbringer wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
In a life or death struggle, you can’t say to the bad guy “wait until I get my light in order before you kill me”.

Well, you can. Then pummel him to death with the light once he’s incapacitated by uncontrollable laughter. LOL

Hey you must’ve gone to the same tactical training school as me!

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you

Quote:
yes we’re both in agreement Olight made a poor choice with their E-lockout but bypassing the E-lockout by unscrewing the tailcap could solve that problem don’t you think?

lol I’m also from Canada so you never know… If you ask nicely enough the perpetrator might just let you unlock your tactical flashlight

Not really, do you think you could remember what mode you were in before you unscrewed your tailcap while fending off an attacker or confronting an invader in your home?

I lived in Canada as well (I’ll be watching the HABS tonight) for a couple of years, my mom was born there, and I still have family there.

PS Paul Byron must have been trying to unlock his M2R in the game against Florida the other night. I guess that’s because Weegar’s not from Canada Facepalm

koziy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 12:08
Posts: 167
CREEXHP70LED wrote:
koziy wrote:
I don’t agree with the premise. Human low light vision is good enough for most situations I’d use a flashlight. Flashlights make poor weapons. If any tool is going to save my life, it’s a real weapon. Sure, I can “see” an attacker better with proper lighting, but if I’ve identified someone as an attacker in the first place, then what more is there to deliberate?

Exactly, if you are going to use a firearm at night, a white light is a 100% must have. You have to ID the target 100% before you neutralize it.

I don’t agree. First, I just have to point out that I’m switching topics from flashlight to weapon light, and neither of which is a perfect substitute for the other. Second is that while it’s hard to make the case that a weapon light is undesirable (although there are certain negatives, like weight while carrying it and an extra thing you train yourself to do, while drawing, before pulling the trigger), I just don’t think it’s necessary, at least not all the time. I also don’t think it’s practical to identify a target “100%” to shoot back — what if they are wearing masks or motorcycle helmets, for example?

In the dgu’s I’ve read about and seen videos of, the attackers confront their victims on the street, in a store, at the victim’s home, usually somewhere where they can make a quick escape from with easy access to a street, and the same aggression by the attacker that prompts the would-be victim to draw his weapon makes the victim’s need to use the weapon just as unmistakable.

Now if you want to talk about some of the raids that police or military do, going into a dark house or bunker with a team, I’m not going to say the same thing at all. Of course that’s a totally different situation with different requirements and different objectives. But you did start the thread talking about my life and my family — none of which are police or military. Flashlights are neat and handy tools, but I wouldn’t stake my life on one of them unless I changed professions, and even then, I’d want to have some sort of back up system.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

Deputy Dog wrote:
Quote:
yes we’re both in agreement Olight made a poor choice with their E-lockout but bypassing the E-lockout by unscrewing the tailcap could solve that problem don’t you think?

lol I’m also from Canada so you never know… If you ask nicely enough the perpetrator might just let you unlock your tactical flashlight

Not really, do you think you could remember what mode you were in before you unscrewed your tailcap while fending off an attacker or confronting an invader in your home?

I lived in Canada as well (I’ll be watching the HABS tonight) for a couple of years, my mom was born there, and I still have family there.

PS Paul Byron must have been trying to unlock his M2R in the game against Florida the other night. I guess that’s because Weegar’s not from Canada Facepalm

Good luck tonight! 1 point out for the last wild card in the East will be a big battle!

The M2R has an electronic tail switch which only has two modes and has to be changed with a 2-step process. It comes stock set as:
half press on tailswitch = momentary turbo
full press on tailswitch = turbo on
the other mode (which I leave mine in)
half press on tailswitch = momentary turbo
full press on tailswitch = momentary strobe

so in the event of an emergency you’d have to twist the tailcap then smash the tailswitch and you’d be guaranteed either full turbo or strobe

That’s why I was confused nobody liked the M2R. The lockout sucks but I thought the tailswitch design was great – when lurking in the dark I consciously half press the tailswitch and I’ve got turbo but under a stressful situation and I can’t think I just mash the button, hold it down and I’ve got strobe with no fiddling about what so ever

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
koziy wrote:
CREEXHP70LED wrote:
koziy wrote:
I don’t agree with the premise. Human low light vision is good enough for most situations I’d use a flashlight. Flashlights make poor weapons. If any tool is going to save my life, it’s a real weapon. Sure, I can “see” an attacker better with proper lighting, but if I’ve identified someone as an attacker in the first place, then what more is there to deliberate?

Exactly, if you are going to use a firearm at night, a white light is a 100% must have. You have to ID the target 100% before you neutralize it.

I don’t agree. First, I just have to point out that I’m switching topics from flashlight to weapon light, and neither of which is a perfect substitute for the other. Second is that while it’s hard to make the case that a weapon light is undesirable (although there are certain negatives, like weight while carrying it and an extra thing you train yourself to do, while drawing, before pulling the trigger), I just don’t think it’s necessary, at least not all the time. I also don’t think it’s practical to identify a target “100%” to shoot back — what if they are wearing masks or motorcycle helmets, for example?

In the dgu’s I’ve read about and seen videos of, the attackers confront their victims on the street, in a store, at the victim’s home, usually somewhere where they can make a quick escape from with easy access to a street, and the same aggression by the attacker that prompts the would-be victim to draw his weapon makes the victim’s need to use the weapon just as unmistakable.

Now if you want to talk about some of the raids that police or military do, going into a dark house or bunker with a team, I’m not going to say the same thing at all. Of course that’s a totally different situation with different requirements and different objectives. But you did start the thread talking about my life and my family — none of which are police or military. Flashlights are neat and handy tools, but I wouldn’t stake my life on one of them unless I changed professions, and even then, I’d want to have some sort of back up system.

Very valid points. That’s a very tough call

Imagine coming home to what’s supposed to be an empty house and you hear rustling inside. Do you immediately go investigate guns drawn?
———This exact situation resulted in a US man shooting his 8 year old daughter who got home early and hid in the closet to scare her parents. 100% confirmation of the target with a flashlight could’ve easily prevented that

I imagine if it was the middle of the night and you heard sounds of an obvious B&E that having guns drawn would be exactly the position you’d want and 100% identification would be less concerning.

For the obvious B&E WML makes sense
For investigating noises at night kind of situations I’d go flashlight with weapon holstered or at the ready

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 635

In an emergency, I absolutely hate the idea of having several different way to turn on a flashlight. My wife is already complaining about having to learn what flashlight has what type of button and how it works, never mind an emergency.

I promised her that I will take all the old flashlights out of regular circulation and replace them with one, all around light.

At work, I use to run firedrills twice a year. My simplest DEMAND is…..get the f*** out the building and collect in the front parking lot so we know if everybody is out. KISS is the ultimate safety default.

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 635

mattadores wrote:

Very valid points. That’s a very tough call

Imagine coming home to what’s supposed to be an empty house and you hear rustling inside. Do you immediately go investigate guns drawn?
———This exact situation resulted in a US man shooting his 8 year old daughter who got home early and hid in the closet to scare her parents. 100% confirmation of the target with a flashlight could’ve easily prevented that

I imagine if it was the middle of the night and you heard sounds of an obvious B&E that having guns drawn would be exactly the position you’d want and 100% identification would be less concerning.

For the obvious B&E WML makes sense
For investigating noises at night kind of situations I’d go flashlight with weapon holstered or at the ready

I’m not in a high crime area and we have a huge restriction on handguns. In fact, even if one has a restricted firearms licence, which I do, the last thing you want to do is use a handgun. Up here in the land of bullcrap progressive utopia, it is socially (but not legally) seen as a “premeditated”. So a pump shotgun is the best option. Which regardless, IS the best option when loaded with #4. But then, you need two hands on the shotgun.

The fine point of it all is, since I know my house like nobody else, particularly what is probably going to be a coke head breaking in, do I want to give away my position with a flashlight? I will have my full night vision and they will have a full 12 gauge pointed at them.

With two in the house and no unexpected guest, that is “almost” the best option. But what if my wife is not in bed? Do I pull out the Q8? Which means the end of my night vision? And there is no way to hold a shotgun and ANY flashlight.

So i’m off to the races with mounting a light on the barrel of a pump action. Hand’t thought it out until now. Of course, it could also be construed that my “hunting” shotgun was really intended as a self “defense weapon”. Which I’m fine with that. I rather be judged by twelve then carried by six.

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

G.P.
G.P.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 11/11/2018 - 12:49
Posts: 96
Location: Canada

I’m glad I don’t live somewhere where the threat of a perpetrator is a rational/viable/reasonable/likely scenario to be brought up constantly.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
Spartan wrote:
And there is no way to hold a shotgun and ANY flashlight.

I think there could be.. just don’t expect to hit your target or keep your teeth! lol just use it like a really loud cap gun

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 635
G.P. wrote:
I’m glad I don’t live somewhere where the threat of a perpetrator is a rational/viable/reasonable/likely scenario to be brought up constantly.

So do I….until the Friday afternoon when a guy tried to get through the livingroon window in one of the “safest” neighborhoods. Or multiple attempted break in the plant, which my insurance demanded I have bank level smart alarm system. Or me having to drive over for the 10pm employee change because I had several woman working there and concerns. AGAIN in a “safe” area.

Tell you what, if you think we are that safe up here, I will take you for a walk in some areas of Toronto…..or Montreal.

So please, we may not be as dangerous as south Chicago, but we are far from arrogantly pointing fingers.

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
G.P. wrote:
I’m glad I don’t live somewhere where the threat of a perpetrator is a rational/viable/reasonable/likely scenario to be brought up constantly.

I don’t think it is for many of us either. it’s more of a what-if scenario that our flashlight addiction can help solve if ever needed

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you

koziy

Quote:
I don’t agree. First, I just have to point out that I’m switching topics from flashlight to weapon light, and neither of which is a perfect substitute for the other. Second is that while it’s hard to make the case that a weapon light is undesirable (although there are certain negatives, like weight while carrying it and an extra thing you train yourself to do, while drawing, before pulling the trigger), I just don’t think it’s necessary, at least not all the time. I also don’t think it’s practical to identify a target “100%” to shoot back — what if they are wearing masks or motorcycle helmets, for example?

Wait until MS13 moves into your neighborhood.

You keep missing the point. The light not only identifies the person, but also if the person is armed and with what (what type of threat). If someone comes into my house at 0:dark30 with a gun or machete, it won’t matter what he’s wearing (it better be bullet proof) I’ll be 100% sure he is armed and is a threat and not someone with Alzheimer’s who was confused or a drunk going into the wrong apartment.

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 635

mattadores wrote:

lol I’m also from Canada so you never know… If you ask nicely enough the perpetrator might just let you unlock your tactical flashlight

Unless you live in a gang infested area of a major city, statistically, the odds that a perp has a handgun up here is extremely low. The two plus grand entry fee is a bit of a barrier…..but still not impossible.

According to some cop friends, the vast, vast majority are petty thieves read “druggies” and carry a knife. Which is not much consolation.

I rather make it a perp coming with a knife to a gun fight……

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

Spartan wrote:
mattadores wrote:

lol I’m also from Canada so you never know… If you ask nicely enough the perpetrator might just let you unlock your tactical flashlight

Unless you live in a gang infested area of a major city, statistically, the odds that a perp has a handgun up here is extremely low. The two plus grand entry fee is a bit of a barrier…..but still not impossible.

According to some cop friends, the vast, vast majority are petty thieves read “druggies” and carry a knife. Which is not much consolation.

I rather make it a perp coming with a knife to a gun fight……

I know what you mean. Calgary is quite safe but our crime records show home invasions happen in all neighborhoods. Even then however, home invasions most frequently result in you losing some replaceable/insured stuff versus getting into a deadly weapon match.

I watched something long, long ago that I abide by 100% – they once interviewed 100s of B&E artists and they all said there were 3 things that they hated. if you had 1 or 2 of the three they would likely move to a softer target. if you had all 3 then the only way they were risking it was if they knew you had something they needed.
1-motion sensor lights on at least both sides of your house (mine has a 360 degree perimeter)
2-security system information (most B&E are spontaneous so they were very unlikely to have scouted to confirm if your window stickers and yard signs actually mean you have an alarm)
3-DOGGIES! single most hated thing period!

with all three of those in place I know if someone breaks, they’re either a tweaker or have a damn good reason and I’d rather be armed than not

lol still working on my firearms license tho…. gotta love procrastination!

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 635

mattadores wrote:

lol still working on my firearms license tho…. gotta love procrastination!

If you don’t have a PLA, get one NOW. I mean NOW.

The dope is waiting for another crazy to go crazy so he can put even MORE restrictions on guns. Bet on loosing any future restricted arms licences AND more restrictions on things like how many shells in semi-auto and pump shotguns. he may even ban any semi auto of ANY kind.

Unless we deal with him in October……

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 6866
Location: Central North America

this thread is offtopic for flashlights, its about guns and gangs

Guns, Gangs, and Trump politics, including immigration and the gang MS13, whose founder was trained by the USA GreenBerets, belongs in offtopic chatter

this discussion about the use of deadly force, is not really directly related to the forum in which it is posted
LED Flashlights – General Info

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2822
Location: Southeast, PA

Everybody is Rambo.
Yeah OK

The difference between Hoarding and Collecting is the illusion of Organization
.
.“I will get one of flashlight from patrol car”

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

Spartan wrote:
mattadores wrote:

lol still working on my firearms license tho…. gotta love procrastination!

If you don’t have a PLA, get one NOW. I mean NOW.

The dope is waiting for another crazy to go crazy so he can put even MORE restrictions on guns. Bet on loosing any future restricted arms licences AND more restrictions on things like how many shells in semi-auto and pump shotguns. he may even ban any semi auto of ANY kind.

Unless we deal with him in October……

When you say deal with him… you mean DEAL with him in October right? Crazy

lol CSIS I’M JUST KIDDING!!!

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

Muto wrote:
Everybody is Rambo.
Yeah OK

Pages

Topic locked