I have realized something about this community.

130 posts / 0 new
Last post
DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

My S-I-L just got a boob job, so now I’m gonna have to send her the harness with Anduril in the light so she can do Lightning displays and Candlelight, settable strobe so she can stop waterfall action and ceiling fans with her boobs! So if she puts on a brass support cup and jogs will there be thunder to accompany the lightning?

Facepalm

And we’re not taken seriously. Go figure.

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1394
Location: France
Pete7874 wrote:

Muto wrote:
And if you ever do get her she will have low freq PWM eyes!
Or be like Naomi Wu with her Wearable Fiber Optic Implant Transillumination

Potential NSFW warning.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2162
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Great exmaple of why you shouldn’t have your windows down driving through busy areas where you will have to stop frequently at least.

Stopping in traffic with any of my windows down is one thing I make sure to NEVER do. Poverty can drive people to desperation, and on top of that, you never know when there’s an opportunistic robber biding to pounce on you.

That also goes for when you see two men on a motorcycle coming up behind your vehicle, whether you’re moving or standing still. KEEP THOSE WINDOWS UP, PEOPLE.

brad
brad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 02:07
Posts: 2408
Location: USA

xevious wrote:
“Budget” Light Forum… is the “spirit” of the place, but not the rule. There are many people around here who I’m sure would raise their hands when asked “OK, who here has blown their flashlight budget at one time or another? And, who has spent enough on flashlights at this point where they could have put all that money towards buying a single high-end custom flashlight (e.g. McGizmo, Oveready, etc.) and still have plenty of cash left over?”

Yes, some people here are very serious about flashlights as tools of their trade, but from what I see, a majority “appear” to be more into the hobby side of it — buying them for cool features or for modification.

As for what brand is better than another… it’s always very highly subjective. Because different qualities have varying meanings for each person. Some people are seriously into brand loyalty, while others just want the most lumens per $. If there’s any moral to the story, it’s that we can all get along here. I’ve not seen much in the way of snobbery… and I have encountered it on the “other” forum (although that’s a great place too—nice to have variety).

Good description.

Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

DB Custom wrote:
So if she puts on a brass support cup and jogs will there be thunder to accompany the lightning? Facepalm

And we’re not taken seriously. Go figure.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

Jack Kellar wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Great exmaple of why you shouldn’t have your windows down driving through busy areas where you will have to stop frequently at least.

Stopping in traffic with any of my windows down is one thing I make sure to NEVER do. Poverty can drive people to desperation, and on top of that, you never know when there’s an opportunistic robber biding to pounce on you.

That also goes for when you see two men on a motorcycle coming up behind your vehicle, whether you’re moving or standing still. KEEP THOSE WINDOWS UP, PEOPLE.

Good points all around.

I once long ago watched a news report/documentary on Brazil and during heavy traffic periods where highway traffic moves slowly there are many cases where people on overpasses will drop 2 person carry boulders onto cars below and then a crew at street level pounces on the vehicle to remove the valuables through the shattered windows

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 283

DB Custom wrote:
My S-I-L just got a boob job, so now I’m gonna have to send her the harness with Anduril in the light so she can do Lightning displays and Candlelight, settable strobe so she can stop waterfall action and ceiling fans with her boobs! So if she puts on a brass support cup and jogs will there be thunder to accompany the lightning? Facepalm

And we’re not taken seriously. Go figure.

Haha. Also, I apologize to anyone my thread may have offended. I in no way meant to offend or degrade anyone. That was not my intention.

 

 

 

koziy
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 12:08
Posts: 167

Which flashlights can I count on to “save my life” while operating and how few lumens do I need before my flashlight is tactical enough to operate with?

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2162
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

mattadores wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Great exmaple of why you shouldn’t have your windows down driving through busy areas where you will have to stop frequently at least.

Stopping in traffic with any of my windows down is one thing I make sure to NEVER do. Poverty can drive people to desperation, and on top of that, you never know when there’s an opportunistic robber biding to pounce on you.

That also goes for when you see two men on a motorcycle coming up behind your vehicle, whether you’re moving or standing still. KEEP THOSE WINDOWS UP, PEOPLE.

Good points all around.

I once long ago watched a news report/documentary on Brazil and during heavy traffic periods where highway traffic moves slowly there are many cases where people on overpasses will drop 2 person carry boulders onto cars below and then a crew at street level pounces on the vehicle to remove the valuables through the shattered windows


Yeah, that was a thing, but it was mostly a short-lived strategy. Even on huge cities there aren’t too many overpasses, and folks with large stones on top of said overpasses is easy for the 5-0 to spot.

I said what I said about motorcycles because the majority of traffic robberies in places with cheap access to two-seat bikes is done like that. The maneuverability and acceleration potential of the Honda CG and the like makes them perfect for smash-and-grab.

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Great exmaple of why you shouldn’t have your windows down driving through busy areas where you will have to stop frequently at least.

No A/C in Florida Facepalm It was my old 1st gen 4runner so finding parts amd making the effort to fix 30 year old A/C components for a rusty old work truck was not in the budget, have to be able to afford all these flashlights! Wasnt even a bad area either. Now I ride a motorcycle everyday so I carry an actual collapsable baton as well as flashlight and a small fixed blade knife that I dont have to fumble to open with gloves on.

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta

Jack Kellar wrote:
mattadores wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Great exmaple of why you shouldn’t have your windows down driving through busy areas where you will have to stop frequently at least.

Stopping in traffic with any of my windows down is one thing I make sure to NEVER do. Poverty can drive people to desperation, and on top of that, you never know when there’s an opportunistic robber biding to pounce on you.

That also goes for when you see two men on a motorcycle coming up behind your vehicle, whether you’re moving or standing still. KEEP THOSE WINDOWS UP, PEOPLE.

Good points all around.

I once long ago watched a news report/documentary on Brazil and during heavy traffic periods where highway traffic moves slowly there are many cases where people on overpasses will drop 2 person carry boulders onto cars below and then a crew at street level pounces on the vehicle to remove the valuables through the shattered windows


Yeah, that was a thing, but it was mostly a short-lived strategy. Even on huge cities there aren’t too many overpasses, and folks with large stones on top of said overpasses is easy for the 5-0 to spot.

I said what I said about motorcycles because the majority of traffic robberies in places with cheap access to two-seat bikes is done like that. The maneuverability and acceleration potential of the Honda CG and the like makes them perfect for smash-and-grab.

Yeah motorcycles aren’t something I thought of but it makes great sense.

lol What do you mean easy to spot!! Me and this guy are just carrying this 70-lb boulder over the overpass to our landscaping job. The boss is such a cheap prick he won’t even give us a wheel barrow!

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3480
Location: USA

koziy wrote:
Which flashlights can I count on to “save my life” while operating
The one that has a defibrillator built-in.
CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 283

toddcshoe wrote:
I can’t believe this has to continue to be done for the purpose of educating gun magazine cowboys. A flashlight is not tactical in nature. Neither is any other tool. That is what a flashlight is, a tool.

Definition of tactical
1 : of or relating to combat tactics: such as
a(1) : of or occurring at the battlefront
a tactical defense
a tactical first strike
(2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront
tactical missiles
b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
2a

of or relating to tactics: such as
(1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose
(2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view
b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

Again, a flashlight is a tool, nothing about it is tactical. If a flashlight was tactical then any device used to service anything you think is tactical would be tactical too. So every die, drill, lathe, screw driver, etc etc etc, would have to be tactical as well. See where this will easily get out of hand?

Now since we know that a flashlight is a tool and performs really no tactical duty. We can now have sub sections of people using flashlights. Ya know, sorta like we have sub sections of people who collect guns or anything else. Hobbyist, copper lovers, titanium lovers, cri lovers, high lumen lovers, looking for crap in the closet folks, police officers, firemen, SAR folks, the list could literally be never ending. Still, not a single example makes that light tactical.

Think about this. As Recoil magazine and any other rag that uses the word tactical every other sentence steer you towards Streamlight and Surefire. Know that those two companies alone provide millions of dollars to Gun rags everywhere to make sure they gets lots of pages in ads and lots of pages in reviews. Not a single person ever working for a gun mag has ever had to pay money out of his or her own pocket for a Streamlight or Surefire. Both of which have failed miserably on more than one weapon of mine. Now I buy host lights and build and pot my own.

Now I am sure all the firearms forums will gladly welcome your bias towards your so called tactical flashlights. Most people try and stick with folks who share their same interest. Not walk in the front door and insult them. And that sir, is exactly what you have done.

Gear is tactical if it is made and used for that purpose. There are tactical lights, that are built for use in tactical theaters and are used their. That is what I was referring to. Lights built and made for only one purpose. To use during a life or death fight.

 

 

 

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you

CREEXHP70LED

I’m just trying to understand why and or where you would prefer low lumen over high in a tactical situation. Personally I like turbo.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 43 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15884
Location: nyc
Deputy Dog wrote:
I’m just trying to understand why and or where you would prefer low lumen over high in a tactical situation.

2 offhand. In cqb where you just want to light up what’s in front of you without ruining your vision once you turn off the light, and when you just want to light up what’s in front of you without giving away your position to everyone within a square mile.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1793
Location: MN
junkyardbiker wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Great exmaple of why you shouldn’t have your windows down driving through busy areas where you will have to stop frequently at least.
No A/C in Florida

I die in the summer heat here in MN even… my condolences. Shocked

mgracia85
mgracia85's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2017 - 18:35
Posts: 321
Location: East Texas
Lightbringer wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
I’m just trying to understand why and or where you would prefer low lumen over high in a tactical situation.

2 offhand. In cqb where you just want to light up what’s in front of you without ruining your vision once you turn off the light, and when you just want to light up what’s in front of you without giving away your position to everyone within a square mile.

Yeah Turbo will give your position away in a second.

I love my wife’s toy poodle

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you

Those are the 2 I want turbo for. In CQC if I’m in control of the light, I’m using it like a handful of sand (to blind/stun an opponent). If you’re using the light to see where you’re going you’ll be a low lumen target. We trained to always move after we turn our lights off.

To each his own I guess.

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 630

I believe the best type of light in defensive use is a big thrower. And a .338 Lapua.

Nothing says safety like distance and 250 grains.

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 434
Location: behind you

In my world any light gives your position away, that’s why we always move after using the light.

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 630

mattadores wrote:

Yeah motorcycles aren’t something I thought of but it makes great sense.

lol What do you mean easy to spot!! Me and this guy are just carrying this 70-lb boulder over the overpass to our landscaping job. The boss is such a cheap prick he won’t even give us a wheel barrow!

Sisyfus, where have you been all these years?!

Sick

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida

Low lumens is also less glaring to the user and takes less time to adjust from. If you are expecting the light as the user then good, but in darkness even 500 lumens suddenly to the face is enough to blind and be painful. Wonder how a nice high CRI would do in a combat enviroment? Enough stress on the rest of your body why not take some off the eyes? We also use a lot of IR lights but thats a whole different ballgame. Try driving a 5 Ton truck wearing IR vision with no depth perception.

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 630
koziy wrote:
Which flashlights can I count on to “save my life” while operating and how few lumens do I need before my flashlight is tactical enough to operate with?

The one mounted on a 1911.

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida

In addition to the above, better believe at home though Im grabbing the Q8 and smashing turbo to see what the dogs are raising a fuss about in the yard. Suprised someone peeking over my back fence one night with the D4 at full turbo, turns out my poor nieghbor was looking for his cat and was worried my dogs had gotten at it.

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida
Spartan wrote:
koziy wrote:
Which flashlights can I count on to “save my life” while operating and how few lumens do I need before my flashlight is tactical enough to operate with?

The one mounted on a 1911.

I used to be a firm believer in WML’s but now having children I dont exactly want to go see what that noise was in the house somewhere and light up one of my kids with a pistol pointed at them. I am however still a hardcore believer in 1911’s Cool I will gladly trade round capacity for a hunk of steel slabsides in my hand any day! (edit) I do have a single mode mounted on my ARX as that serves a different purpose and I dont expect to be doing much room clearing in my house.

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 283
mgracia85 wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Deputy Dog wrote:
I’m just trying to understand why and or where you would prefer low lumen over high in a tactical situation.

2 offhand. In cqb where you just want to light up what’s in front of you without ruining your vision once you turn off the light, and when you just want to light up what’s in front of you without giving away your position to everyone within a square mile.

Yeah Turbo will give your position away in a second.

These two answers exactly. Yes turbo is good for a quick hit and move off target also. Always move off target after lighting a subject.

 

 

 

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 283

Spartan wrote:
I believe the best type of light in defensive use is a big thrower. And a .338 Lapua.

Nothing says safety like distance and 250 grains.

Yes, However I do not have a big enough thrower to reach out and touch someone at 1,500 plus yards. LOL Wink

 

 

 

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida

This thread has evolved quite nicely into an adult conversation about “tactical” uses and peoples different needs and uses of defensive flashlights without anyone debating how one way or another is wrong. Quite nice actually.

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida

CREEXHP70LED wrote:
Spartan wrote:
I believe the best type of light in defensive use is a big thrower. And a .338 Lapua.

Nothing says safety like distance and 250 grains.

Yes, However I do not have a big enough thrower to reach out and touch someone at 1,500 plus yards. LOL Wink

Imagine a modded BLF GT mounted on a rifle Big Smile

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 283
junkyardbiker wrote:
Low lumens is also less glaring to the user and takes less time to adjust from. If you are expecting the light as the user then good, but in darkness even 500 lumens suddenly to the face is enough to blind and be painful. Wonder how a nice high CRI would do in a combat enviroment? Enough stress on the rest of your body why not take some off the eyes? We also use a lot of IR lights but thats a whole different ballgame. Try driving a 5 Ton truck wearing IR vision with no depth perception.
Thumbs Up

 

 

 

Pages