Sofirn SP10 Pro (AA/14500/Andúril 2) - now available!

2194 posts / 0 new
Last post
river345
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 284
jon_slider wrote:
The lowest mode on SP10 Pro is 0.01 lumens

I’m so excited about the new low. Any idea how much current it uses? Is it low enough to be an indicator light?

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1712
Location: Germany
river345 wrote:
jon_slider wrote:
The lowest mode on SP10 Pro is 0.01 lumens

I’m so excited about the new low. Any idea how much current it uses? Is it low enough to be an indicator light?


No, the MCU needs to be running, so it still consumes some mA. It might work for a day, but probably not much longer.
pc_light
pc_light's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2017 - 16:19
Posts: 576
Location: Old Dominion, USA

Mine appears to only draw ~1.3mA at lowest moonlight mode, so it would probable run several weeks. Not as long as Aux though.

On the light side.

mhs
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2022 - 12:57
Posts: 1
Location: Poland

Sticking to lowest ramp floor, with multimeter I get current draw:
3.5 mA with 1.2V cell
3 mA with 1.5V cell
1.3 mA with 3.7V cell
So in any case it would take few hundreds of hours do drain the cell. IMO still not long enough for always-on indicator light, but ocassionally I wouldnn’t hesitate to leave it on as a night light, as it won’t impact whole runtime too much.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 6757
Location: Central North America

mhs wrote:
3.5 mA with 1.2V cell
thanks for the data

1900mAh/3.5mA per hour/24 hours per day= 22 days.

> 1.3 mA with 3.7V cell

IF the LiIon is an 800mAh cell:

800/1.3/24 = 25 days

fwiw, a Zebra AA claims 100 days on its lowest mode

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 48
Location: Budapest
SammysHP wrote:
river345 wrote:
jon_slider wrote:
The lowest mode on SP10 Pro is 0.01 lumens

I’m so excited about the new low. Any idea how much current it uses? Is it low enough to be an indicator light?


No, the MCU needs to be running, so it still consumes some mA. It might work for a day, but probably not much longer.

Are there modes in which MCU doesn’t need to run? If yes, which are those?

Small EDC enthusiast

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1712
Location: Germany
editor wrote:
SammysHP wrote:
river345 wrote:
jon_slider wrote:
The lowest mode on SP10 Pro is 0.01 lumens

I’m so excited about the new low. Any idea how much current it uses? Is it low enough to be an indicator light?


No, the MCU needs to be running, so it still consumes some mA. It might work for a day, but probably not much longer.

Are there modes in which MCU doesn’t need to run? If yes, which are those?


When the flashlight is off the MCU can sleep as well.
contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3717
Location: US
SammysHP wrote:
editor wrote:
Are there modes in which MCU doesn’t need to run? If yes, which are those?
When the flashlight is off the MCU can sleep as well.

The good ‘ol 0.00 lumen mode, what other flashlight has a mode this low!?

Correllux
Correllux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 04/27/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 1772
Location: USA
contactcr wrote:
SammysHP wrote:
editor wrote:
Are there modes in which MCU doesn’t need to run? If yes, which are those?
When the flashlight is off the MCU can sleep as well.

The good ‘ol 0.00 lumen mode, what other flashlight has a mode this low!?

Only the one that adds four more zeroes. It’s the top secret one that the military doesn’t want you to know about. You’ve probably heard about it on youtube….

Tendou
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2020 - 03:49
Posts: 242

What is the different between the current batch SP10V3.0 and SP10pro? Do they use diferent driver? or any other thing to be aware of?

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1712
Location: Germany

Tendou wrote:
What is the different between the current batch SP10V3.0 and SP10pro? Do they use diferent driver? or any other thing to be aware of?

Pro uses Anduril, V3 has Sofirn’s own UI.
Tendou
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2020 - 03:49
Posts: 242
SammysHP wrote:
Tendou wrote:
What is the different between the current batch SP10V3.0 and SP10pro? Do they use diferent driver? or any other thing to be aware of?
Pro uses Anduril, V3 has Sofirn’s own UI.

I know that they use different UI/OS.

But what hardware driver did they use? Efficiency? Lower and highest mode differences?

I heard that there are problems in the early batch of SP10V3.0. Is the SP10V3.0 problem rectified? Is there a ny new problem surfacing?

youmansk
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/08/2019 - 15:39
Posts: 5

I cannot find if this was mentioned, but the vapcell H10 flattop does not seem to work with my Sofirn SP10Pro. I just got one from Amazon. Maybe only button style 14500 work? there seems to be three gold conductors on the battery post of the positive terminal and they are close together. I may be missing something.

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1712
Location: Germany

youmansk wrote:
I cannot find if this was mentioned, but the vapcell H10 flattop does not seem to work with my Sofirn SP10Pro. I just got one from Amazon. Maybe only button style 14500 work? there seems to be three gold conductors on the battery post of the positive terminal and they are close together. I may be missing something.

The outer two contacts are not connected electrically. They are a mechanical reverse voltage protection. A flat-top battery won’t make contact with the center contact, only the button of a button-top.
thefreeman
thefreeman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 01/06/2020 - 09:56
Posts: 1725
Location: France

BTW where to find button top H10 shipped to EU ? Nkon and Vapcell ali store only have flat top.

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 1162
Location: USA
Tendou wrote:
SammysHP wrote:
Tendou wrote:
What is the different between the current batch SP10V3.0 and SP10pro? Do they use diferent driver? or any other thing to be aware of?
Pro uses Anduril, V3 has Sofirn’s own UI.

I know that they use different UI/OS.

But what hardware driver did they use? Efficiency? Lower and highest mode differences?

I heard that there are problems in the early batch of SP10V3.0. Is the SP10V3.0 problem rectified? Is there a ny new problem surfacing?

The hardware is supposed to be the same, except the microcontroller was swapped for an Anduril-compatible model, so the efficiency at a given output level should be the same.

The max brightness is the same, but gchart figured out tweaks to make in Anduril to allow the the minimum brightness to be much lower.

Tendou
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2020 - 03:49
Posts: 242
iamlucky13 wrote:
Tendou wrote:
SammysHP wrote:
Tendou wrote:
What is the different between the current batch SP10V3.0 and SP10pro? Do they use diferent driver? or any other thing to be aware of?
Pro uses Anduril, V3 has Sofirn’s own UI.

I know that they use different UI/OS.

But what hardware driver did they use? Efficiency? Lower and highest mode differences?

I heard that there are problems in the early batch of SP10V3.0. Is the SP10V3.0 problem rectified? Is there a ny new problem surfacing?

The hardware is supposed to be the same, except the microcontroller was swapped for an Anduril-compatible model, so the efficiency at a given output level should be the same.

The max brightness is the same, but gchart figured out tweaks to make in Anduril to allow the the minimum brightness to be much lower.


Thank you. So the sp10pro seems to be the better choice for me. I already got an sp10pro. Thinking of getting v3.0 bit sp10pro can be simplified enough using the simple mode.
kokosnh
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2021 - 06:27
Posts: 291
Location: Polska

how does the LVP looks like?  From my testing, it is just stepping down quite fast and that's it, you can still force it to go up for short time. Is that it?

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 6757
Location: Central North America

LVP will turn the light off completely, after repeated step downs.
chart from page 1:
.

however, batteries will rebound and the light can be turned on again, not for long though, it will turn off again more and more quickly, the more you try to drain the already empty battery.

kokosnh
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2021 - 06:27
Posts: 291
Location: Polska

So there's no blinking warning, and so on?

I just took out a 2.5V 14500, because I thought I just had not calibrate the thermal sensor, and that's why it was stepping down. And I was just forcing it to go up... 

When I did 3C it just blinked 7 time, and that was not what I was expecting, so took out the battery to see the voltage... 

I thought It would just turn off, and then not turn on under 2.75V or so.

I know the 1.5V Ni-MH don't have the LVP, but the Li-ion mode should have one, right? 
Do I just need to buy a protected 14500 cell?  

 

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 6757
Location: Central North America

stepping down can happen due to heat, or also due to low battery

here is how the LVP Step Down and Thermal Step Down, is described in the Anduril 2 Manual:

“Anduril includes low voltage protection (LVP) and thermal regulation.

LVP makes the light step down to a lower level when the battery is low,
and if the light is already at the lowest level, it shuts itself off.
This activates at 2.8V. LVP adjustments happen suddenly, in large
steps.

Thermal regulation attempts to keep the light from overheating, and
otherwise adjusts output to stay as close as possible to the
user-configured temperature limit. Thermal adjustments happen
gradually, in steps so small they are difficult for humans to perceive.”

> I was just forcing it to go up

not a good habit, as this defeats the step downs by repeated use

> I thought It would just turn off, and then not turn on under 2.75V or so.

good thought, but if you turn it on after it shuts off, you are defeating the protection system

Learn to check battery voltage sooner.. Recharge any time the battery goes below 3.6V. Do not wait for LVP.

> Do I just need to buy a protected 14500 cell?

you could, but, that creates a slightly different problem. With a protected cell, it can shut the light off suddenly and completely, even if the battery is not empty, if you try to use too high an output. I consider sudden darkness very UnDesireable, so I dont use protected batteries.

fwiw there IS also LVP for AA..
https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1765534#comment-1765534

TIFisher
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 11/26/2020 - 11:43
Posts: 541
Location: USA

I have been on vacation with my SP10 PRO as my sole torch for the last week. I’m running a standard eneloop straight from the package. The performance has been beyond my expectations. I have run the light as a ceiling bouncer, shuffle to the loo illuminator, and rigging out pre-dawn fishing gear. I have well over 3 hours on the cell with no discernable loss of output. What a great combo.

Kudos to jon_slider for pointing out all the good things low and slow with this light.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 6757
Location: Central North America

TIFisher wrote:
I have been on vacation with my SP10 PRO
Yay! Beer
kokosnh
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2021 - 06:27
Posts: 291
Location: Polska

little update, on my SP10 pro magnetic tail drama. 
Contacted the ali store, they refused to send a good one for free
(had to pay 0.8$ for shipping with tracking, well i can understand that, and it was comparable, to getting the old one refunded, and buying new one, so I accepted it)

after 3 weeks I got it, and well this one surely won't work.

Yes that's the 18650 one, for SC31 pro and so on, not the 14500 for SP10 pro. 

Ps. I do have SC31 pro, but I have black one, and I already bought a magnetic tail for it, so this one is useless for me, at this time.

 

 

smurcod
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/11/2022 - 01:03
Posts: 130
Location: Australia

I ordered the SP10 Pro and magnetic tail cap direct from their Chinese store (not AliExpress.) The correct one arrived luckily. I’ve had similar experiences on AliExpress with other sellers- they refuse to replace faulty/ incorrect goods and want you to pay postage when it’s their fault. Angry I just don’t buy anything else off them ever again.

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 48
Location: Budapest

roostre wrote:

The magnet in the Lumintop “Tool AA 2.0” optional twist tail cap is mounted under a removable tail cap battery spring and replacing the magnet with a spacer is easy (I used a button from an old shirt for the spacer).


The “removable spring design” while not ideal for high current lights would most likely function adequately in the proposed AA/14500 compatible “Sofirn SP10S BLF edition with Andúril”.  I do not have access to a Sofirn SP10S and do not know how the tail cap is currently constructed.


Is the Lumintop Tool AA tailcap mechanically compatible with the Sofirn SP10 Pro? Can I use a Lumintop magnetic tailcap on the SP10 Pro?

Small EDC enthusiast

pfuender
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 05/26/2019 - 11:08
Posts: 29
Location: Switzerland

No, the SP10 is slightly wider than the Tool-AA.

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 48
Location: Budapest

pfuender wrote:
No, the SP10 is slightly wider than the Tool-AA.

Thank you very much for the quick and accurate answer. Have a very good day.

Small EDC enthusiast

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 576
Location: EU

Does blink during ramp still present or was removed on this batch?

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 6757
Location: Central North America

Sari33 wrote:
Does blink during ramp still present or was removed on this batch?
yes, no

but if you are set up for reflashing, there is a Hex from gchart without the blink

Pages