519A 5700K, 4500K, 3500K are available.

5281 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3194

Unfortunately, I did not find the time until today to have a closer look at my K9.3 flashlight. I only put it out of the box into my shelf when it arrived. I wish I had looked at it closer a bit earlier. On the other hand, what I complain about is most likely quite nitpicky and functionality is fully given. I admit this is not a $ 1000 Oveready BOSS light but for a $ 144.48 flashlight I would still have expected less imperfections. 

What I like:

It works to my satisfaction, well almost. I chose XP-L HI 4000K V2 5D for CH1 and SST20-DR for CH2 as well as a red switch backlight. The light came on in CH2 (deep red) and Advanced UI with stepless ramping. It puts a very decent big spot of light onto the wall. Deep red is quite bright on full power.

What could be investigated a bit more:

When K9.3 is on lowest brightness (FLOOR) those 9 XP-L HI emitters start to flicker like crazy, looking like candle mode is activated. Turbo mode for CH2 in combination with SST20-DR seems more or less useless as another doubleclick will immediately bring brightness down to CEILING level again. I am talking about 0.5 or maybe 1 second for stepping down. Thermal stepdown is programmed to 55°C and the K9.3 was still at room temperature. Maybe Hank can have a deeper look into this as I hope this is normal behaviour and that my K9.3 works flawlessly.

Something that took me by surprise:

The head has a significant notch, probably abrasion from CNC machining. It could not be caused by myself as you can see it's black anodized. Again, nothing serious but still it diminishes the otherwise nice look and feel. The stainless steel bezel shows some scratches right out of the box and a rusty mark where it touches the head unit.

Someone must have written something on the head unit. I can just about recognize "S7R R" written on it with some permanent marker pen. Certainly, this is nothing to rant about as I could clean it off with a cotton swab and alcohol. But still it's a bit confusing to see this on the outside of a flashlight. The black dot in the left section of the switch button is somehow distracting from the great red glow of the backlight, like a fly on the wall. Wink I hope my second K9.3 that is en route already will have less imperfections.

 

After playing with the K9.3 for a while I discovered a software glitch in Andúril 2.0 that is maybe important to mention. The Lockout mode will be left automatically if you set the AUX lights to Beacon/Blinking. Fortunately, in most situations this is not a serious bug but still it can lead to unpleasant situations wearing it in your pocket and feeling certain to have locked the light before. I highly recommend ToyKeeper and Hank to have a look at it unless my K9.3 is affected only. Maybe some of you can reconfirm this glitch.

 

I made a video to demonstrate the software glitch:

 

I made following observations with the faulty AUX Beacon mode:

1. Go to Lockout Mode (4C from OFF)

2. Select Beacon AUX (7C via off - low - high - beacon/blinking)

                Red Beacon (random duration, < 1min) => blinking turns off, flashlight is unlocked!

                Yellow Beacon (random duration, < 1min) => blinking turns off, flashlight is unlocked!

                Cyan Beacon (random duration, < 1min) => blinking turns off, flashlight is unlocked!

                Blue Beacon (random duration, < 1min) => blinking turns off, flashlight is unlocked!

                Purple Beacon (random duration, < 1min) => blinking turns off, flashlight is unlocked!

                White Beacon (random duration, < 1min) => blinking turns off, flashlight is unlocked!

                Colorful „Disco“ Beacon => no errors within 10min runtime, Lockout works!

                Colorful „Rainbow“ Beacon => no errors within 10min runtime, Lockout works!

                Colorful „Voltage“ Beacon (blinking purple = full battery) => no errors within 10min runtime, Lockout works!

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 1126

I feel your pain, I recently received some lights which had some blemishes out the box. Not significant enough to raise it but still enough to take the shine out of what I consider a more premium product.

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3194

Apart from the imperfections I am wondering how to deal with the flickering on FLOOR level. I could set a higher FLOOR level but then again, where's the point in having "moonlight" if it's not really low? I also wonder about those three SST20-DR stepping down immediately. The light will not even get warm on the head, so it can't be a thermal stepdown on the driver. Question I hope the other K9.3 (CH1 E21A 2000K, CH2 SST20 4000K) will be/work better.

thefreeman
thefreeman's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 15 sec ago
Joined: 01/06/2020 - 09:56
Posts: 1384
Location: France

Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Turbo mode for CH2 in combination with SST20-DR seems more or less useless as another doubleclick will immediately bring brightness down to CEILING level again. I am talking about 0.5 or maybe 1 second for stepping down. Thermal stepdown is programmed to 55°C and the K9.3 was still at room temperature.

Linear driver + low Vf leds : SST20-DR has a Vf arround 1.6V at 3A according to the datasheet, let’s say that a charged cell drops to 3.8V at 9A, you’re dissipating (3.8-1.6)×9= 19.8W in the mosfet(s), which is enormous and the temp sensor in the MCU will pick that heat very quickly (thankfully because otherwise the mosfet would probably blow). Increasing thermal dissipation could maybe help (slightly), adding a thermal pad between the mosfet(s) and the body for example.

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 483
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

After playing with the K9.3 for a while I discovered a software glitch in Andúril 2.0 that is maybe important to mention. The Lockout mode will be left automatically if you set the AUX lights to Beacon/Blinking. Fortunately, in most situations this is not a serious bug but still it can lead to unpleasant situations wearing it in your pocket and feeling certain to have locked the light before. I highly recommend ToyKeeper and Hank to have a look at it unless my K9.3 is affected only. Maybe some of you can reconfirm this glitch.

I don’t have the K9.3, but I just tested my Anduril 2 D4V2 Ti for about 20 minutes and it doesn’t seem to have this bug.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3516
Location: CT, USA

My copper KR1 is Stateside! Very impressive Hank (I ordered it on the 10th)!

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3969
Location: Honeyland

thefreeman wrote:
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Turbo mode for CH2 in combination with SST20-DR seems more or less useless as another doubleclick will immediately bring brightness down to CEILING level again. I am talking about 0.5 or maybe 1 second for stepping down. Thermal stepdown is programmed to 55°C and the K9.3 was still at room temperature.

Linear driver + low Vf leds : SST20-DR has a Vf arround 1.6V at 3A according to the datasheet, let’s say that a charged cell drops to 3.8V at 9A, you’re dissipating (3.8-1.6)×9= 19.8W in the mosfet(s), which is enormous and the temp sensor in the MCU will pick that heat very quickly (thankfully because otherwise the mosfet would probably blow). Increasing thermal dissipation could maybe help (slightly), adding a thermal pad between the mosfet(s) and the body for example.

Yeah, but keep in mind the Vf is 2.6 not 1.6, so the value is less, but still big.

I was also curious why the mosfet didn’t blow up already, but I guess good thermal path makes the MCU sense the heat in blink of an eye.

Actually it is a bit confusing in the data sheet, 3000mA 2.6V and 3A and 1.6V

thefreeman
thefreeman's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 15 sec ago
Joined: 01/06/2020 - 09:56
Posts: 1384
Location: France

Hikelite wrote:

Yeah, but keep in mind the Vf is 2.6 not 1.6, so the value is less, but still big.
!

My bad, I totally misread the datasheet, the graph is deltaVf from Vf at 700mA, actually it say +1.6V on top of 2.35V so 3.95V. So there shouldn’t be any heating issue…

Disregard what I said.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3969
Location: Honeyland

OK so then it is not 2.6V either like I have said, it just shows that at 350mA it can be minimum 1.8V, typical 2.05V and maximum 2.6V

This is quite the tolerance in Vf for these LEDs if it can be from 1.8V to 2.6V at 350mA.

Yes, it is claimed typical 2.35V at 700mA.

Then you are right, 2.35V+1.6V= 3.95V at 3A

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3969
Location: Honeyland

Then let’s say cell dropped at 9A to 4.0V, 4.0-3.95=0.05V*9A = 0.45W ironically linear driver friendly.
Of course mosfet has it’s own RDSon, there is a sense resistor, etc, so maybe 3.9V might be more realistic than 4.0V at 9A

battery
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2014 - 15:39
Posts: 86

In some Intl Outdoor threads I’ve seen posts talking about possible headlamps. Now is that something that Hank has actually considered or is it strictly a want from the community?

Frostcream
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 05/26/2020 - 16:26
Posts: 135

hodor wrote:
I feel your pain, I recently received some lights which had some blemishes out the box. Not significant enough to raise it but still enough to take the shine out of what I consider a more premium product.

I hate have to report here, but I feel that Hank’s business is having trouble with keeping QA as tight as it used to be with the massively increased demand.

I now have 2 KR4 Ti that randomly turn on when screwing in the tailcap, one even initiates ramp config during tailcap screwdown if I don’t screw the cap on very slowly.

I’ll look the other her way for now, as the other nearly 30 lights have been pretty close to perfect.

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3194

Hank, if you have a chance to read this thread anytime soon, please also check your quality control with the D18 flashlight. Just before the K9.3 I also ordered another D18 (sand, SST20-DR) from you. 

First of all, the D18 is absolutely awesome, making an insanely bright wall of deep red light. But the battery tube has so many sharp edges inside, it damaged two of three of my Samsung 29E batteries after using them for only one quick test. These batteries now have deep scratches or scraped areas. Sad

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3194

trakcon wrote:
 I don't have the K9.3, but I just tested my Anduril 2 D4V2 Ti for about 20 minutes and it doesn't seem to have this bug.

Thanks for checking. The Flashoholic tested his K9.3 and confirmed the same bug. I suppose it must be a firmware bug in K9.3 only. I am not sure when ToyKeeper will be back to investigate the problem. In the meantime I can only recommend to not using the faulty AUX Beacon light mode if you use the electronic lockout.

Rayoui
Rayoui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 35 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 00:38
Posts: 691
Location: Portland, OR

Luckily, it’s easy to physically lock out this light with a quick quarter turn of the tail cap. On lights where this is possible (non tail e-switch lights with anodized threads) I usually use this method simply because it’s faster. You lose the aux lights though.

Garik F
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/13/2020 - 12:17
Posts: 61
Location: Russia

So, I assume that 219c will be never restocked, sad to see that, one of my favourite emitters

puglife2
puglife2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 sec ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 17:56
Posts: 541

sorry to be this guy but E21A > 219c Davie

MoreHiCRILumens
MoreHiCRILumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 50 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1900
Location: Finland

Could someone explain a bit about those E21A’s vs. 219b/c. How many lumens they give out and are they throwier, more efficient or stuff like that?

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3516
Location: CT, USA

MoreLumens wrote:
Could someone explain a bit about those E21A’s vs. 219b/c. How many lumens they give out and are they throwier, more efficient or stuff like that?

+1 please. But I have a good feeling their output is less. I remember seeing the claimed lumens on the e21a d4 at 1200 lumens, I seem to remember hanks site saying the 219 b/c was higher ?

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3690
Location: US

In the K9.3 at the top of the ramp (9A) the E21A is probably 20-25% less output but better spectrum (higher CRI) and better tint (below/near BBL). Even if the LED is more throwy by itself it wont be in a light because they generally use wide lenses for E21A to make the beam nicer.

If you consider the 219C may also be able to go into direct drive or partial FET then the difference in output will be greater.

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 483

Frostcream wrote:
hodor wrote:
I feel your pain, I recently received some lights which had some blemishes out the box. Not significant enough to raise it but still enough to take the shine out of what I consider a more premium product.

I hate have to report here, but I feel that Hank’s business is having trouble with keeping QA as tight as it used to be with the massively increased demand.

I now have 2 KR4 Ti that randomly turn on when screwing in the tailcap, one even initiates ramp config during tailcap screwdown if I don’t screw the cap on very slowly.

I’ll look the other her way for now, as the other nearly 30 lights have been pretty close to perfect.

Most of my KR’s behave like this if I don’t carefully hold them very straight while reassembling them. To avoid this, I’ve started just slightly loosening the head while screwing the tail on, and then retightening the head.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3516
Location: CT, USA

trakcon wrote:
Frostcream wrote:
hodor wrote:
I feel your pain, I recently received some lights which had some blemishes out the box. Not significant enough to raise it but still enough to take the shine out of what I consider a more premium product.

I hate have to report here, but I feel that Hank’s business is having trouble with keeping QA as tight as it used to be with the massively increased demand.

I now have 2 KR4 Ti that randomly turn on when screwing in the tailcap, one even initiates ramp config during tailcap screwdown if I don’t screw the cap on very slowly.

I’ll look the other her way for now, as the other nearly 30 lights have been pretty close to perfect.

Most of my KR’s behave like this if I don’t carefully hold them very straight while reassembling them. To avoid this, I’ve started just slightly loosening the head while screwing the tail on, and then retightening the head.


That has worked wel for me too. My KR1 has always had this issue. My kr4 has never had any issues. Ever. Been dropped a lot too.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

Frostcream
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 05/26/2020 - 16:26
Posts: 135

trakcon wrote:

Most of my KR’s behave like this if I don’t carefully hold them very straight while reassembling them. To avoid this, I’ve started just slightly loosening the head while screwing the tail on, and then retightening the head.

Hmmm, I have 12 KR4s but only had issues with two of the latest Tis. I was going to sand the inner tubes this evening to hopefully rectify the issue. I’ll report the results later.*

EDIT Sanding the tube made no difference. It was actually pretty smooth to begin with. Heavily lubing the threads kind of helped, for a couple screwdowns, issue still persists.

What causes this problem? It makes me dislike the lights with this issue tremendously. I won’t even use them. I didn’t buy about 30 Hanklights this year because they’re janky, flaky and fiddly, but because of the opposite.

Thefossilchannel
Thefossilchannel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2020 - 02:17
Posts: 86
Location: New york

Lightenzaza wrote:
Thefossilchannel wrote:

I think I also ordered a floody optic with it


I’m curious to what you receive, please let me know . The e21a is shipped with the 10623 ( floody ) by default ( i think ) . We will see if adding an extra floody optic gives you an 10622 ( regular ) or double floody .

I recieved my d4v2 and made a video reivew about and you can see both the optic shipped and the extra floody optic i purchases are different. https://budgetlightforum.com/node/76170 this is the thread for the video and my thoughts. I do have one question as i noted in the video. when I set my floor to lowest, when I ramp from low to high and then high to low it turns off the leds completely but keeps my aux lights on in the e switch. is this normal in the aunduril softwar for this light? Also I noticed I do not have memory mode as the light when clicked once will come back on in step 2 of the stepped ramp configuration default. thanks!

Kona G
Kona G's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 172
Location: CA Beach

Acme (square cut) threads are less forgiving when screwing mating parts together. Under spring pressure amplifies the difficulty

If you try assembly without cell do you have same issue?

Btw, what 18650 cells are you running 30Q?

Artiet59 wrote:
trakcon wrote:
Frostcream wrote:
hodor wrote:
I feel your pain, I recently received some lights which had some blemishes out the box. Not significant enough to raise it but still enough to take the shine out of what I consider a more premium product.

I hate have to report here, but I feel that Hank’s business is having trouble with keeping QA as tight as it used to be with the massively increased demand.

I now have 2 KR4 Ti that randomly turn on when screwing in the tailcap, one even initiates ramp config during tailcap screwdown if I don’t screw the cap on very slowly.

I’ll look the other her way for now, as the other nearly 30 lights have been pretty close to perfect.

Most of my KR’s behave like this if I don’t carefully hold them very straight while reassembling them. To avoid this, I’ve started just slightly loosening the head while screwing the tail on, and then retightening the head.


That has worked wel for me too. My KR1 has always had this issue. My kr4 has never had any issues. Ever. Been dropped a lot too.
Kona G
Kona G's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 172
Location: CA Beach

Has anybody received machining flaws in D4V2 Cu.. and does it run Anduril 2.0 ??

I had my sights on ordering my first light from Hank, but after reading posts in this thread I’m having second thoughts

Frostcream
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 05/26/2020 - 16:26
Posts: 135

Kona G wrote:
If you try assembly without cell do you have same issue?

Btw, what 18650 cells are you running 30Q?


The issue only occurs when a cell is in the light, they can’t power on by themselves without one. I use 30q or VTC6 only for 18650 tubes.

Speaking of tubes, I swapped the inner tube with one from a good light and the issue remained, in one of the two KR4 Ti with this issue. Then I swapped to an 18350 and the issue is no longer present.

In the other defective unit, I swapped just the inner tube and it actually fixed that light.

I honestly don’t know what causes this.

In other news, my 6th D18 arrived today. I haven’t had any issues with this model whatsoever.
IMG-20210120-225746
common browser resolutions

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3194

Frostcream wrote:
(...) In other news, my 6th D18 arrived today. I haven't had any issues with this model whatsoever.

Could you please check the inner edges of the battery tube? The edges in mine are razor-sharp and damaged the shrink wrap of my batteries. I did not have this issue in an earlier D18 I bought several months ago.

Frostcream
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 05/26/2020 - 16:26
Posts: 135

Lux, this new D18 is the same as all my others in terms of build quality.

The edges inside are crisp, but not overly so. I gently load the cells so they don’t get chafed in any way, but no excessive caution is required.

Kona G
Kona G's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 172
Location: CA Beach

^ Sounds like the inner tube edges are not chamfered enough, or more than likely skipped..
If you don’t mind losing a little ano on that edge, its pretty easy to do yourself with a deburring tool

Frostcream, the point of threading without battery is to see if it’s the cut threads are screwed up, or just the added tension screwing you up (:

Pages