Ultimate LED Bulbs - Ultra High CRI - The Honorable Quest

467 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

evanh
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 05/31/2020 - 18:00
Posts: 63
Location: USA

Interesting! I've been trying to keep an eye out for (reasonably priced) home lighting products made with their new Thrive lineup. My ultimate would be a zigbee-controlled CCT/dimming option. It looks like their Vesta series does 2700K-6500K, though frankly I never use above 5000K.

Where should I keep an eye out for more info? @bocian

adonchevski
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/16/2021 - 16:29
Posts: 5
Location: Bulgaria

There is a LED bulb producer from Bulgaria V-TAC claiming CRI > 95. Do you have any tests on that?

https://www.v-tac.eu/products/house-and-garden/led-bulbs/led-bulb-12w-e2...

Pavlo
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2015 - 10:37
Posts: 889
Location: Canada

Given the 10-17W power rating, the bulbs looks like they have no heat sinking to handle the heat. These will likely die prematurely.

adonchevski
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/16/2021 - 16:29
Posts: 5
Location: Bulgaria
Pavlo wrote:
Given the 10-17W power rating, the bulbs looks like they have no heat sinking to handle the heat. These will likely die prematurely.

It seems this is the reason they are so cheap – here in Bulgaria, they are selling them for around 2.5 EUR.

I am actually searching for a high CRI Ceiling Light with a form factor fact like that one:

I can see one in amazon Onforu LED IP65 Ceiling Light, which claims CRI> 90.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Ceiling-Indoors-Outdoors-Kitchen-Bathroom/dp/...
https://onforuleds.com/collections/ceiling-light/products/ip65-waterproo...

Could you recommend any?

I can see one here http://sunlikelamp.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_i..., but it is not in oval form.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6706
Location: Ślōnsk

adonchevski wrote:
There is a LED bulb producer from Bulgaria V-TAC claiming CRI > 95. Do you have any tests on that?

https://www.v-tac.eu/products/house-and-garden/led-bulbs/led-bulb-12w-e2...

!https://i.ibb.co/Xs61g8X/Pages-from-13-Bulbs-min-Page-2.jpg!


They are in PL as well. I considered them until I saw some CRI97 lamp (or bulb?) that they claimed to make over 150 lm/W at very low price.
I don’t trust their ratings and I won’t buy them.
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6706
Location: Ślōnsk
adonchevski wrote:
Pavlo wrote:
Given the 10-17W power rating, the bulbs looks like they have no heat sinking to handle the heat. These will likely die prematurely.

It seems this is the reason they are so cheap – here in Bulgaria, they are selling them for around 2.5 EUR.

I am actually searching for a high CRI Ceiling Light with a form factor fact like that one:

I can see one in amazon Onforu LED IP65 Ceiling Light, which claims CRI> 90.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Ceiling-Indoors-Outdoors-Kitchen-Bathroom/dp/...
https://onforuleds.com/collections/ceiling-light/products/ip65-waterproo...

Could you recommend any?

I can see one here http://sunlikelamp.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_i..., but it is not in oval form.


I’m shopping for similar lights…and I chose to go with simple lights that are based on E27 bulbs, either for all or for most rooms, not sure yet.
The reason is that:
  • The part that fails from time to time is inexpensive and easy to replace
  • There’s a lot of choice of CRI97+ bulbs as well as bulb-based fixtures, but nearly all fixtures with LEDs have just CRI80
  • I consider some of the bulbs that over-saturate colours for the dining room, good luck finding one with LEDs already installed

Though I like how the diffuser is uniformly lit in LED-based fixtures. And for that reason I consider buying a fixture and filling with LED strips. Though it’s more work, not so easy to replace (still quite OK) and actually there are fewer good strips than good bulbs.

adonchevski
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/16/2021 - 16:29
Posts: 5
Location: Bulgaria

Agro wrote:

I’m shopping for similar lights…and I chose to go with simple lights that are based on E27 bulbs, either for all or for most rooms, not sure yet.
The reason is that:
  • The part that fails from time to time is inexpensive and easy to replace
  • There’s a lot of choice of CRI97+ bulbs as well as bulb-based fixtures, but nearly all fixtures with LEDs have just CRI80
  • I consider some of the bulbs that over-saturate colours for the dining room, good luck finding one with LEDs already installed

I am thinking to implement it the same way as there are some options on E27. The downside could be that the light is not evenly distributed as with the integrated LED. I am also not sure how the diffuser will affect the CRI.
https://www.eglo.com/international/Products/Main-Collections/Interior-Li...
https://www.kanlux.com/en/product/23128/JASMIN-470-W-M
https://www.nowodvorski-lighting.com/29619,turda-%E2%8C%8050-8952
https://www.slv.com/en/tenora-1-81?attribute%5Bvariant_color%5D=white
https://tk-lighting.eu/en/produkt/rondo-white-6/

Maybe I will conclude on buying some E27 Sunlikes in combination with any of the options above.
For the rest of the installation I plan to buy some GU10 Philips ExpertColor (or Sunlikes on GU10 adapter, but don’t like the adapter idea). Another option is GX53 Sunlike – http://sunlikelamp.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_i....

Agro wrote:

Though I like how the diffuser is uniformly lit in LED-based fixtures. And for that reason I consider buying a fixture and filling with LED strips. Though it’s more work, not so easy to replace (still quite OK) and actually there are fewer good strips than good bulbs.

If you have the skills to do it then it is ok, and you have to be careful not to implement a “zebra” light effect with the strips. One of the good led strips are produced by Auxmer – https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3754011?spm=2114.12010612.pcShopHead_10.... There are also tests in the forum here – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HwKi_xAkBgzuD3_HHP8YUKdlspPRb671....
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6706
Location: Ślōnsk

I chose to go with Lidl’s Livarnolux for the bulk of my bulb needs. But I have some uses for better bulbs as well, these will be filled by either Sunlike or Bocian.

adonchevski
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/16/2021 - 16:29
Posts: 5
Location: Bulgaria

Some interesting findings from Delta Light, Belgium. The cons is that they are very expensive.

Soli 52 claiming CRI > 98

https://www.deltalight.com/en/products/detail/conform-p28-pds-down-up-95... claiming CRI > 95

https://www.deltalight.com/en/products/detail/imax-ii-round-adjustable-m... claiming CRI > 90

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6706
Location: Ślōnsk

adonchevski wrote:
Agro wrote:

Though I like how the diffuser is uniformly lit in LED-based fixtures. And for that reason I consider buying a fixture and filling with LED strips. Though it’s more work, not so easy to replace (still quite OK) and actually there are fewer good strips than good bulbs.

If you have the skills to do it then it is ok, and you have to be careful not to implement a “zebra” light effect with the strips. One of the good led strips are produced by Auxmer – https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3754011?spm=2114.12010612.pcShopHead_10.... There are also tests in the forum here – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HwKi_xAkBgzuD3_HHP8YUKdlspPRb671....

Considering that there are good 5+ cm of height to the diffuser, there’s little risk of zebra effect.
Bocian
Bocian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/17/2014 - 13:12
Posts: 84
Location: Poland

Below is my latest product (Bridgelux THRIVE 7W GU10 TIR optics) . Sorry, but I am quite a busy man and currently do not have time to translate. I will make a description in free time and maybe send some samples to Maukka Innocent
https://www.swiatelka.pl/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=25080

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 1692
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Very nice Bocian! I’d live to see an e26 base omnidirectional bulb too!

Evgeniy
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 02/01/2016 - 12:59
Posts: 104
Location: Ukraine, Odesa
Bocian wrote:
Below is my latest product (Bridgelux THRIVE 7W GU10 TIR optics)

Nice.
Are you measured pulsations in your lamps ?
What driver you used ?

Flashlights : custom (Jaxman E2L with led4power LD-4 drivers and 3xOsram CQAR.CC), custom Skillhunt H03 with Osram 3К/4К, Zebralight {H600fc IV, Sc600fc IV, H600fc III}, Jaxman E2(N219b), Convoy UV.
Previous: Zebralight {H501, H600W, H600W II, H602W}, NiteCore TIPCRI, A A01, Fenix L2D CE/CEQ5.

Bocian
Bocian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/17/2014 - 13:12
Posts: 84
Location: Poland

The same driver as here but with a higher current set:
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/61071
Unfortunately, there is very little space in the GU10 mount for the power supply. I like drivers with a power factor correction and high efficiency ~ 90% as been used in this product. There are available small drivers with a fast output 40-60kHz but they have a PF ~ 0.5 and an efficiency between 70-80% (more heat generated in the power supply system = much shorter product life).

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3592
Location: US

In my area the majority of new houses use recessed LED lights with no “bulb”.

I certainly hope there is opportunity for ultra high CRI in this market because it feels like the little guy here is going to have less and less market share as time goes on.

Bocian
Bocian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/17/2014 - 13:12
Posts: 84
Location: Poland

Here is example electrical parameters measurement for new 7W GU10 THRIVE. As You can see there is only 0,85W power wasted on driver heating up. I also modify by myself factory condition drivers by adding NTC thermistor (soft start) and additional capacity on output (low impedance, long life capacitor) and it takes really long years to dried them up till malfunction.

Pages