Sofirn SP36 spewed toxic chemicals throughout my entire house

214 posts / 0 new
Last post
Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4522
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

Jake257 wrote:
……..

if they were based in the United States they would be looking at damages of thousands of dollars. I’m not asking for that. I’m asking for whatever they’re willing to give me, but I’m not interested in being poisoned by a second low-quality light. Honestly they seem like nice enough people. I’m not here to bash them, but biased silly fanboys with an agenda make me want to do just that.

Interesting now you come to the heart of the matter. Though denying it (till later). You have been a member since 36 hours (atm) and have written 1 thread and 39 posts in that time. All about the same thing. More knowledgeable people than myself have responded with questions and answers. That you choose to ignore or respond slowly to. It’s about time you do something yourself, not only blocking every solution you are offered so far. I’m glad I did not make any suggestions. It would have been a waste of time.
Your charger is still smelly. After all this time? Come on! Ever heard of evaporation? Live long and prosper.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

rngwn
rngwn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 03:44
Posts: 441
Location: 暖武里,Таиланд

Well, at this point I believe it’s probably a good time for everyone to step back and think. This bickering and finger-pointing has seems to last way longer than I would have liked.

Who wants to be called biased?

Who wants their brand they love and enjoy be apparently called out to be something totally against what it’s stand for?

Who wants to have their actions questioned for seemingly no real reason?

Who wants to have their intentions misinterpreted in a way they found totally abhorrent?

No. One. Ever. — well, at least that’s what my feelings tells me.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 6 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 449
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Jake257 wrote:
[…] Sofirn has not offered to do anything for me other than make the return process more complicated than Amazon makes it. I’m honestly not surprised that some of the people here are attacking me. I understood that sofirn worked closely with members of this form before posting here […]

Nobody here attacks you. We’re just trying to help you, Sofirn and all of us to find out what happened and why it happened. However, this requires all of us to rely on facts and not on wild guessing or ranting about non-related things like cardboard box designs etc.. You seem to be quite frustrated and worried about the incident and I can fully understand that. But please be fair and let all of us focus on how to find the root cause of the problem.


So far, Sofirn offered you to pay the shipping costs to send it back to them. They also offered you to refund the broken light AND to get another flashlight free of charge as a sign of goodwill and to compensate you for the hassle you and your girlfriend have gone through. Seriously meant question: What else do you expect them to compensate? How do you expect them to know what you are asking for without telling them?


Jake257 wrote:
[…] To the guy calling me biased you can think whatever you want. I’m not selling flashlights for a living. I’m honestly wasting my time on here at this point just trying to help other people. I don’t expect that anyone will be able to help me any further than they have so far. I went into all of this having no biases whatsoever. I point out that the finish, the machining and the packaging of sofirn are the worst of any brand that I have bought simply because it looks like you get what you pay for when it comes to internal build quality as well. I honestly don’t care about a box, but it seems to reflect the quality of the product when you look at the packaging of some of these top-shelf brands. I have been buying high-end flashlights for more than 20 years. This is the first time I’ve had a problem with any of them. That is not bias that is just the objective truth. […]

I guess that’s me, the guy that called you biased. Well, sorry I did not mean to offend you but you are always pointing out Acebeam and Fenix as “golden standard” while both manufacturers have had broken devices in the past, too. Only because you have been fortunate to not have any defective Acebeam flashlight does not necessarily mean their quality is way beyond Sofirn’s. In fact, Acebeam’s entire first batch of the EC65 had a design flaw causing the driver to die instantaneously once you put a high-drain cell into it. Acebeam did only exchange the broken device by a new one – nothing more. Sofirn took immediate action about your problem, offered you a full refund + a new flashlight even though you did not contact them directly. Still, you are ranting on and on… (sorry, that’s what seems to me being “biased”).


Jake257 wrote:
[…] The fact that I bought a cheap brand and it filled my house with fumes and gave me a massive headache is no coincidence in my mind. If you want to pretend like it’s a coincidence that’s your prerogative. Hopefully most people reading this have a little bit more common sense than that though. All I said about the support is there’s no one I can call and it does not have a long warranty period. Both of those things seem to be true. […]

Seem to be true or are true? If you had taken a look into the manual you would have discovered both a phone number and at least one e-mail address to reach Sofirn. You are saying they do not have a long warranty period. Did Sofirn tell you how long their warranty was? Even if it was less than Acebeam’s two or five years warranty, they would have certainly taken care of your case since it happened right after you bought the flashlight. Moreover, I’m sure a burning Acebeam or Fenix flashlight would cause the same kind of smoke and smell in your house. They use similar components in their flashlights. That’s again, what I call biased and not being objective.


Jake257 wrote:
[…] With acebeam I can call a reputable dealer with fenix I can call a reputable dealer and back when I was buying novatech and surefire I could call reputable dealers as well. What north american based reputable dealer can I call about sofirn? The shortest warranty of any of these other brands is 5 years. How long is sofirns? I’m posting opinions based on objective facts not based on biases. I honestly don’t particularly care what’s wrong with the light at this point. […]

If you have bought flashlights for more than 20 years then why did you expect a “cheap” brand like Sofirn to have North American local dealers? If having a local dealer was so important to me, I would inform about my options before I actually buy and I would probably buy from a local dealer and not order from an Amazon FBA warehouse. Personally, I would also prefer to buy a $ 500,00 Acebeam flashlight from my local dealer in Germany but we are not talking about a $ 500,00 flashlight here and local support is expensive and will need to be included in the sales price. You expect a local 5 star 24/7 customer service for a $ 50,00 flashlight that you called a “cheap brand” before. How is that supposed to match?


Jake257 wrote:
[…] Poor quality control and R&D caused charging board or charging chip to burn up. That’s good enough for me. I’m not going to buy another one of these products. I’m not part of the R&D.[…]

Once again, you are ranting on and on. You state that you are not part of R&D but at the same time you are 100% certain about poor quality control and R&D being the reason for the defect. Please do us and yourself the favor to return the flashlight for proper investigation to Sofirn. Then we will know for sure what happened based upon facts. But this seem to become impossible because…


Jake257 wrote:
[…] If sofirn and wants to do something for me to actually compensate me for the damages and inconvenience I have incurred here then great I will figure out how to send them the light. Otherwise I’m going to do what’s easiest for me and send it back to Amazon and get my money back. I personally used to sell through FBA, so I can tell you that if sofirn wants the light back they can get it from Amazon. If they want it back from me they can compensate me at the very least for all of the things I had to throw out because of this incident. […]

Well, that figures…


Now, you hold a pistol to Sofirn’s head. Either they compensate you (without telling them what and how much they should compensate you for) or they will not be able to find out what really happened to your flashlight. I will stop judging your true intentions from here on…


Jake257 wrote:
[…] I’ve done my part. I can move forward with my life with a clear conscience knowing that I at least tried to warn people about this. I will do the same on Amazon. Like I said before I would have gladly paid three times the price for a light like this that was built properly and safely. I have no problem paying $200 for a good light. I only bought a bottom shelf low quality brand because they made the triple cell high CRI that I wanted. I won’t make that mistake again.

Well done, Jake! Now that you achieved to let everyone being afraid of buying the SP36S you stop cooperating to help Sofirn and the community find the problem. I really hope you will change your mind about not sending the light back to Sofirn.

Jake mentioned Sofirn offered him double the cost of the light and he will probably return it to them.

You say you aren’t attacking him but yet your tone is condescending throughout.

Clearly you are a Sofirn fanboy and that’s absolutely fine. But it definitely seems you are taking this way too personal. So what if he mentions other brands he prefers more. Keep in mind this was his 1st ever Sofirn light.

Pretty sure if you are a Ford guy and decided you liked the new model Chevy and the engine blew on you the 1st week you would be saying Chevy makes crap.

Jake came on here to warn people of his concerns. This could happen to someone else that has kids in that room. But your primary concern is he hurt your feelings by saying something negative about Sofirn.

Jake- Send the light to Sofirn so they can inspect and investigate. That is the best way to ensure this doesn’t happen again to anyone else. You can’t expect them to fix it if they aren’t given the chance to find the problem. Great job on giving members the best info you could regarding your experience and the light itself. And thank you for taking the time to warn members of this issue. With that being said, a huge thank you for all of the members who spent time out of their day to research and tey to help determine the cause of Jakes problem for the good of everybody. lots of great people in here!

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 1881
Location: Shenzhen, China

To all BLFers,

Thank you guys all be nice and helpful here. Jake sent order ID and refund was applied for him. We will fix this via PM.

Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.

While egineer will do more tests on SP36S lights to find out the risk. Sofirn is trying best to avoid this issue happen again.

Sorry for all the inconveniences caused by sofirn. sofirn is a small brand and a small company but always want to listen to customers and improve the products.

Different people have different thoughts or perspectives. That’s why we want to communicate and exchange thoughts. That’s why the world is full of vitality. We hope everyone don’t take this case personally.

Once again, we apologize for issues caused by sofirn. Sofirn is taking this case seriously. We will tell when the engineer give outcome of the test. This will be the last reply in this thread by sofirn.

Regards,

Sofirn Team

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4522
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

Sofirn Thumbs Up

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19802
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

Excellent response!  :BEER:

Unheard
Unheard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 2729
Location: Germany

Sofirn wrote:
Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.

Is the cause known or is there no chance to learn from the defective unit?

Spitzbube.

Propeak
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 08/03/2017 - 11:24
Posts: 108
Location: Greece

Sofirn wrote:
We will tell when the engineer give outcome of the test. This will be the last reply in this thread by sofirn.

Regards,

Sofirn Team

Thanks Sofirn, we really can’t wait to find out what it was.

Since Sofirn won’t do the autopsy, is there any chance anyone else would be interested in doing it independently? Unfortunately my understanding is pretty limited so I can’t offer to do this but I do think that if an autopsy isn’t performed on the light we’ll never know for sure… Sad

Cheers to everyone for their feedback and to Jake for reporting the issue in the first place.

Nooner
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2017 - 09:42
Posts: 366
Location: Canada

^ I’ll second that last sentence.

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3194
Thanks a lot for your immediate and professional support Sofirn! Thumbs Up Beer
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18319
Location: Amsterdam
Sofirn wrote:
Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.

A very strange response. If I were an e(n)gineer I would at least like to see a good detailed picture of the damage on the component side of the driver (like DBSAR’s picture of the Imalent driver), or better receive the light back to see what happened. Apparently being a flashlight enthousiast is radically different from being a Sofirn engineer Shocked

Propeak
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 08/03/2017 - 11:24
Posts: 108
Location: Greece

Exactly. Their support is great so far but the thing with any manufacturer is that even if they do check a flashlight, there’s no guarantee you’ll get full disclosure of the cause (could open liability issues too). An independent reviewer could be brutally honest.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4613
Location: United States , Pa.

Let’s hope it was only an isolated incident because many of us have this light. I have used the built in charger only once on mine and it was fine. Components fail with any product. So far, only 2 bad ones have been reported out of probably thousands out there. Anyone hear of other failures?

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2230
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

So is this an all-clear to autopsy the stinky carcass?

Oli
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 08/03/2018 - 21:03
Posts: 968
Location: United States

Sofirn wrote:
To all BLFers,

Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.

While egineer will do more tests on SP36S lights to find out the risk. Sofirn is trying best to avoid this issue happen again. sofirn is a small brand and a small company but always want to listen to customers and improve the products.

Different people have different thoughts or perspectives. That’s why we want to communicate and exchange thoughts. Sofirn is taking this case seriously. We will tell when the engineer give outcome of the test. This will be the last reply in this thread by sofirn.

Regards,

Sofirn Team

Where should we be looking for the outcome of the engineer’s further testing of this model? Apparently the spec is listed as 5 volts for charging. This is wrong or incomplete. USB C device charging is clearly a complicated situation for all flashlight and or device manufacturers. So listing specs that are wrong or incomplete or misleading or not listing specs all have consequences. I don’t see an easy solution moving forward. I will try to avoid devices with multiple removable batteries.

You can't compare the big flashlight in the sky to the little flashlight in your hand.

Propeak
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 08/03/2017 - 11:24
Posts: 108
Location: Greece

Jake, if Sofirn doesn’t want the stinky unit, would you be happy to send it off to any volunteering BLFers for a thorough analysis?

It would be great to get to the bottom of this as we all have flashlights that may carry the culprit cause… Just so we can take our measures and perhaps figure out exactly what evaporated in your home?

Many thanks!

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4613
Location: United States , Pa.

One more point, I think anyone using onboard charging should pick up a USB meter to keep check of voltage and current. My Sp36 terminated at 4.23 volts, a little high but not terrible. The current was about 2 amps or a little less and it decreased slowly. That doesn’t mean it can’t self destruct next time but so can any charger for that matter.

bushmaster
bushmaster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2017 - 15:40
Posts: 814
Location: Colville, WA USA

As I posted on BLF in the past, my SP36 charged to 4.25 the one and only time I used the internal charger. I didn’t consider it unsafe, just not conducive to long battery life.

Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.
Del Gue

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9639
Location: Berkeley, California

I’ve done about all the recreational typing I need to on this subject, but just to close up a loose end: yes, you should be afraid of having a huge box of li-ion cells charging under your bedroom in the garage.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

Please ask Sofirn to post here and let us know what they discover.

The more you pay the more it’s worth

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
djozz wrote:
Sofirn wrote:
Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.

A very strange response. If I were an e(n)gineer I would at least like to see a good detailed picture of the damage on the component side of the driver (like DBSAR’s picture of the Imalent driver), or better receive the light back to see what happened. Apparently being a flashlight enthousiast is radically different from being a Sofirn engineer Shocked

I suspect Sofirn has limited resources to diagnose failures like this. And, judging from my readings on this forum, I’m quite certain there are many folks on here that are better at diagnosing complex failures than 95% of the flashlight companies.

At this point, I think Sofirn has done more than I would have expected, and Jake should be happy with their offer. It’s extremely unreasonable to expect Sofirn to compensate him for a renovation to his house or whatever he is or isn’t asking for. (Hard to tell exactly what he wants Sofirn to do.)

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6476
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Unheard wrote:
Sofirn wrote:
Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.
Is the cause known or is there no chance to learn from the defective unit?

If Jake does not want to take the light apart to investigate, or send it to Sofirn, I ask that he ship tot me to disassemble to to investigate what happened and show photos (in macro detail).
Jake, I will offer to pay for shipping to me, (Ontario, Canada) to research to what happened to the light, if you don’t want to take it apart yourself to look into it. I can do a neutral video on the findings to why the light overheated and caused the burning smell.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Bearbreeder
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/02/2014 - 18:03
Posts: 334

If one was sneaky one could take the double refund from sofirn AND do the amazon return Wink

Propeak
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 08/03/2017 - 11:24
Posts: 108
Location: Greece
DBSAR wrote:
Unheard wrote:
Sofirn wrote:
Egineer told there was no need to send back the defective unit because it’s apparently dead.
Is the cause known or is there no chance to learn from the defective unit?

If Jake does not want to take the light apart to investigate, or send it to Sofirn, I ask that he ship tot me to disassemble to to investigate what happened and show photos (in macro detail).
Jake, I will offer to pay for shipping to me, (Ontario, Canada) to research to what happened to the light, if you don’t want to take it apart yourself to look into it. I can do a neutral video on the findings to why the light overheated and caused the burning smell.

What a generous offer Den! Thumbs Up Happy to chip in $5 towards the shipping cost / or a Beer / Den as I’d benefit from the peace of mind that would come from this! (have a SP36 BLF Anduril on the way)

Jake, you’ve had an offer from Sofirn that you rarely see from manufacturers and another offer from Den (DBSAR) who’s a real rocket scientist for flashlights and lanterns – he’s your best shot at getting to the bottom of this!

Jake, please consider taking Den up on his offer to save others from your fate or worse!

phouton
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/23/2019 - 19:06
Posts: 593
DBSAR wrote:
If Jake does not want to take the light apart to investigate, or send it to Sofirn, I ask that he ship tot me to disassemble to to investigate what happened and show photos (in macro detail). Jake, I will offer to pay for shipping to me, (Ontario, Canada) to research to what happened to the light, if you don’t want to take it apart yourself to look into it. I can do a neutral video on the findings to why the light overheated and caused the burning smell.
Propeak wrote:
Jake, please consider taking Den up on his offer to save others from your fate or worse!
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Jake257
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 11/20/2019 - 14:10
Posts: 41

I know this sounds extreme, but if my phone doesn’t improve soon I’m going to replace it. I would have difficulty believing this as well, but just from plugging the charger into it it emits such a strong smell that it makes us nauseous and leave some weird metallic taste in our mouths. Whatever this thing vented is extremely toxic. Washing my phone, putting it in a Ziploc bag full of activated charcoal, putting it in a Ziploc bag full of baking soda nothing is really working.

As it stands now they have refunded me 30 extra dollars rather than twice the price which I guess is an Amazon limitation. Because this is done through Amazon I don’t think there is any possibility of a double return. I would legitimately write a check for a few grand if I could have the option of not going through this and not being exposed to this stuff. If I do have to replace my phone that is a massive hassle for me because of the amount of work I do from my phone. Aside from the fact that it will cost me about $800.

I sent them a second message about my other return. I’ll report back as to what they tell me. When I speak to them I can tell they run a business and they are doing their best to be empathetic about the situation. I understand that that’s really all I can expect in a situation like this with a Chinese manufacturer, and I appreciate them at least communicating with me here. Aside from being hugely more expensive in every other way manufacturing things in a first world country means you have liability. It means thorough testing is important. It means only selling safe products is important.

I think the problem with sofirn getting into bed with thousand postcount keyboard warrior forum members is a lot of these guys get their self worth from being tough on the internet. Even though they are fanboys of this brand they are really not doing sofirn any favors by patronizing me. They also aren’t doing other members here any favors who want to get to the bottom of this. 20 years ago I was involved in coding for some of the original message board software. I’ve been on my share of forums. A lot of these guys with massive post counts who I have met in real life are often introvert weirdo people. Yes I have only posted 39 posts or whatever it is. Yes I have only been here for a single topic and that is my only interest here. Who cares? The 100 most powerful people in the world, the 100 richest people in the world and the 100 most intelligent people in the world all have one thing in common. Their post count is 0. No one gives a s*** about your post count and no one ever will – not even fellow thousand count keyboard warriors.

I appreciate everyone who has been genuinely helpful here. I feel like this forum could probably use more aggressive moderating.

Unheard
Unheard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 2729
Location: Germany

Jake257 wrote:
I feel like this forum could probably use more aggressive moderating.

It doesn’t. At least try to keep calm. This tone will bring you nowhere.

Spitzbube.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada

Jake257 wrote:
I know this sounds extreme, but if my phone doesn’t improve soon I’m going to replace it. I would have difficulty believing this as well, but just from plugging the charger into it it emits such a strong smell that it makes us nauseous and leave some weird metallic taste in our mouths. Whatever this thing vented is extremely toxic. Washing my phone, putting it in a Ziploc bag full of activated charcoal, putting it in a Ziploc bag full of baking soda nothing is really working.

As it stands now they have refunded me 30 extra dollars rather than twice the price which I guess is an Amazon limitation. Because this is done through Amazon I don’t think there is any possibility of a double return. I would legitimately write a check for a few grand if I could have the option of not going through this and not being exposed to this stuff. If I do have to replace my phone that is a massive hassle for me because of the amount of work I do from my phone. Aside from the fact that it will cost me about $800.

I sent them a second message about my other return. I’ll report back as to what they tell me. When I speak to them I can tell they run a business and they are doing their best to be empathetic about the situation. I understand that that’s really all I can expect in a situation like this with a Chinese manufacturer, and I appreciate them at least communicating with me here. Aside from being hugely more expensive in every other way manufacturing things in a first world country means you have liability. It means thorough testing is important. It means only selling safe products is important.

I think the problem with sofirn getting into bed with thousand postcount keyboard warrior forum members is a lot of these guys get their self worth from being tough on the internet. Even though they are fanboys of this brand they are really not doing sofirn any favors by patronizing me. They also aren’t doing other members here any favors who want to get to the bottom of this. 20 years ago I was involved in coding for some of the original message board software. I’ve been on my share of forums. A lot of these guys with massive post counts who I have met in real life are often introvert weirdo people. Yes I have only posted 39 posts or whatever it is. Yes I have only been here for a single topic and that is my only interest here. Who cares? The 100 most powerful people in the world, the 100 richest people in the world and the 100 most intelligent people in the world all have one thing in common. Their post count is 0. No one gives a s*** about your post count and no one ever will – not even fellow thousand count keyboard warriors.

I appreciate everyone who has been genuinely helpful here. I feel like this forum could probably use more aggressive moderating.

You’ve had some generous offers from Sofirn and again from other users on this forum. Yet, you react by getting even more hostile. Not really sure what you want. I presume it’s money, based on the fact you keep bringing it up, yet you haven’t made any specific requests to Sofirn as far as we know.

IMO, you’re making yourself paranoid about the smell, and the worry is causing your headaches. By now, there’s not enough toxin in the air to cause any real physical problems, if there ever was. You should chill out, and stop worrying so much. It’s the worry that is causing you problems at this point. Yeah, if Sofirn was a US company, you could sue them for a million bucks, but they’re not. So, the best thing you can do is relax about it. In a few days, the smell on your phone will be gone too.

Propeak
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 08/03/2017 - 11:24
Posts: 108
Location: Greece

Jake257 wrote:
No one gives a s*** about your post count and no one ever will - not even fellow thousand count keyboard warriors.

I appreciate everyone who has been genuinely helpful here. I feel like this forum could probably use more aggressive moderating.

Sorry Jake, no offence but If I were a moderator this kind of talk would be on the top of my list. And I appreciate the freedom this forum offers, in contrast to other ones where rules kill all the fun.

DBSAR made a genuinely great offer and you haven't responded to it. Instead, a lot of venting seems to ensue. People here have tried to offer solution after solution (albeit some criticism too) but you have not taken up any offers for help.

I get your frustrations but ranting about the very people that are trying to help you isn't the solution.

Also, if Sofirn weren't a Chinese company you probably wouldn't get an apology and refund just because it may be construed as an acceptance of liability. So please take a fresh breath and consider your practical options. Send Den the light for an autopsy, get your refund and try to make the best of a bad situation.

Many people still have sympathy for your plight, please be a little respectful.

Many Thanks!

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 5091
Location: California

Ouch! Sucks that your phone needs replacing too. Sick

Regarding tone on this forum: I completely agree with you Jake. If I were in your shoes I’d be pretty irritated about a light doing this too. And if it were my first purchase from a manufacturer I wouldn’t be too inclined to see them in a favorable light. Some of the posts in this thread do seem hostile or condescending. And that’s not helpful. Fortunately, at least from my reading of this thread, most posts are not like that.

We are a bunch of flashlight enthusiasts and genuinely want to discover what happened. Collectively, the members on these forums have a lot of experience and may be able to shed light on what exactly went wrong in the light. Since Sofirn does not want the light back, I second DBSAR’s request to ship him the light. He’s volunteered to pay for shipping and is excellent at dissecting defective lights and will help to determine the cause of exactly what happened. He’s very reliable. He also said he will produce a video of his results which should satisfy everyone’s curiosity.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
Firelight2 wrote:
Regarding tone on this forum: I completely agree with you Jake.

I think if he was a regular contributor on this forum, he’d get a bigger break from people. But, he’s a newbie with over 40 posts bashing Sofirn and others, without seeming to accept any resolutions offered to him. I don’t think it’s surprising he’s getting some push-back.

Pages

Topic locked